• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writer's block solution, or clever aphorism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Dickens

Registered
Reaction score
I read this somewhere, it's not my original concept by any means.

Best way to remove writer's block: lower your standards.

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess it can be interpreted ambiguously. You can either say it means don't be too strict on yourself, or just give over and write crap. I somewhat agree with the first (this is a matter of intuitively understanding when it's your internal editor or the utmost insecurity that take over your brain, and be able to distinguish between the two), fundamentally disagree with the second. Even if you are the 'first get it down, then get it right' type of writer, you should probably feel that your first draft can be edited later, not completely rewritten.

As for me, I've been working far too long on my WIP and now I'm going under the Hemingway approach (see other thread). But once I (hopefully) start a new novel, I'm probably going the first-get-it-down route because I'm now much more experienced and confident in my own judgement and skills, and so (hopefully again) my next first draft won't be the disaster my ever first-first draft was.

If this post didn't make any sense please forgive me. I'm working on my thesis and my brain is mush.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
It probably originally (whoever first said it) referred to the fact that so many people who claim to have writer's block are just unwilling to write something that will need to be polished up later. They want and expect to get it perfect the first time. That's a pipe dream, and they have to be willing to fill their WIPs with the writing equivalent of framing in a house -- the basic idea, which will be hung with drywall and painted and decorated later on, but for now is just bare studs and beams.

You can't get it right the first time. That practically never happens. Most of my first drafts are pretty damn good, but they're not perfect...my beta reader or my agent or I always find some way to clarify or improve or simplify later on. There is ALWAYS a way to make it better, so for now, just write it and keep up the momentum on your work.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds true to me, but I don't believe writer's block even exists. It's just an excuse for not writing.

A La Vanille

Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I agree with whimsical rabbit in that it may indicate to allow yourself to write crap or give yourself a bit of a break. I think it may work in lessening stress, because high expectations can make one feel as if one is not meeting those expectations. Of course, I would not recommend it for allowing yourself to write crap. One should always strive for the best, even if that best is not that good (yet).

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I'm not sure if writers block really exists... but... I haven't written anything in about two months, and not for a lack of trying. I just can't seem to get the damn words on paper.
I'm chalking it up to writing exhaustion as I completed 3 novels in just over one year. Now my body is telling me to just take a break. I think.
Having said that, I also agree with Whimiscal Rabbit, that most people just don't want to write crap so they just don't write.

So the solution? Either force yourself to write and expect to edit heavily later or step back and work on something else, another novel and short story or step away from writing all together and it'll come back. I hope.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I read this somewhere, it's not my original concept by any means.

Best way to remove writer's block: lower your standards.

I agree. Yesterday I wrote pure crap, and I knew it was crap. But I wrote it just to keep writing. I'll probably junk it or alter it beyond recognition, but at least I sat at the cursed keyboard.

Kczimmy

Walking the Tightrope
Registered
Reaction score
It probably originally referred to the fact that so many people who claim to have writer's block are just unwilling to write something that will need to be polished up later. They want and expect to get it perfect the first time. That's a pipe dream, and they have to be willing to fill their WIPs with the writing equivalent of framing in a house -- the basic idea, which will be hung with drywall and painted and decorated later on, but for now is just bare studs and beams.

Great analogy- another would be playing the piano. There are very few people that can look at a new piece of music and play it without practice.

Or in our case, write the music for them to play, in one sitting and without any changes later.

Kurt

Chuck Dickens

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Title of my initial post should have read, "Writer's block solution, or merely clever aphorism?"

I'm with those who say, "write, write, write through the block". Even if you think it's uninspired crap at the time you write it, you may look at your work later and realize that you were wrong.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
\
I'm with those who say, "write, write, write through the block". Even if you think it's uninspired crap at the time you write it, you may look at your work later and realize that you were wrong.

I've found this to be the case with my own writing time and time again. I learned to keep pushing forward because my first drafts are always less crappy than I think they are while I'm writing them.

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I sometimes wonder if "writers' block" isn't nature's way of saying there are enough books in the world. Or is that harsh?

Status
Not open for further replies.