• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for co-authors with writing blocks but itching to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invaders

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
So... About once a month I get hit by a wave of detailed inspiration and am now like ten books behind on my writing efforts. Rather then let the ideas go stale, or even worse, be conceptualized and applied by someone else in tune with the same aspects of the times, I'm on the market to co-write the following projects:

1. Space Opera - Delany/Le Guin style (one self-contained volume)

2. Paranormal alternate reality period (circa 1900) steam punk adventure with domina protagonist (possibly pilot of series)

3. Epic international thriller - saving civilization as we know it from a mole&NLP conspiracy sown by the soviets in the 1980's

4. Psychological conspiracy/terrorist/army buddy thriller -includes mystical staff (one self-contained volume)

5. YA - Stine meets Star Trek series of novellas. Pilot and framework of another ready. Preparing about 4 novellas should be enough to go on the market with

6. Horror/thriller - Jaws/Crichton style+the usual Psycho elements, no paranormal. (one self-contained volume)

Proposed method of work:

1. I send the plot summary and character bible. Partner returns with opinions, proposals. I agree or disagree.

2. I send a detailed plot arc, each chapter described by a few sentences. Partner returns with opinions, proposals. I agree or disagree.

3. Partner writes draft of first three chapters. I look and see how things are working out and whether the style that is appearing demands any major tweaking of the plot or characters.

4. Partner completes draft, I read and send back with recommendations concerning the fleshing out

5. Partner fleshes out manuscript. We both edit and proofread. Then we send the manuscript out, have it picked up, become quite successful, live happily ever after. Money split 50 - 50. Worries about rip-offs should be offset by the massive paper (email) trail of working together, possibly exchange of snailmail signed pledges.

So, come one come all, pick a project and get the details. Meanwhile, I'll be working on my other projects

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
Do I understand this correctly?

You provide the idea and character list and make recommendations, then help edit and proofread after the other person actually writes the book?

Sounds like you're looking for a ghostwriter, not a writing partner.

Invaders

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the question, barbarake,

I'll go with the wiki definition: "A ghostwriter is a professional writer who is paid to write books, articles, stories, reports, or other texts that are officially credited to another person. Celebrities, executives, and political leaders often hire ghostwriters to draft or edit autobiographies, magazine articles, or other written material."

:D I ain't a celebrity, no one get paid before the project is picked up by a publisher, the credit goes to both. For example Eric Flint co-writes on the receiving end of such deals, while J.Patterson is in the idea-generating end like me, although much older and not an unknown beginner with delusions of grandeur. In both cases the other partner is credited.

But, should anyone want to participate, they are welcome to call themselves anything they want to: ghostwriters, ghoulwriters, zombieauthors, vampirescribblers, ferretpoets...

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Barb here, it's a ghostwriter you want. Anyone can come up with ideas. And to write a story just to see if you like it and will accept it? Geez...and not get paid for it either? Seems a little not fair in my opinion.

But good luck in finding someone that is ummm...so excited about your ideas.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
Thank you for the question, barbarake,

I'll go with the wiki definition: "A ghostwriter is a professional writer who is paid to write books, articles, stories, reports, or other texts that are officially credited to another person. Celebrities, executives, and political leaders often hire ghostwriters to draft or edit autobiographies, magazine articles, or other written material."

:D I ain't a celebrity, no one get paid before the project is picked up by a publisher, the credit goes to both. For example Eric Flint co-writes on the receiving end of such deals, while J.Patterson is in the idea-generating end like me, although much older and not an unknown beginner with delusions of grandeur. In both cases the other partner is credited.

But, should anyone want to participate, they are welcome to call themselves anything they want to: ghostwriters, ghoulwriters, zombieauthors, vampirescribblers, ferretpoets...
That's pretty much ghostwriting, what you're asking for.

I wouldn't go with Wikipedia for a source. People can edit it all the damn time. It's not always very credible. Use a damn dictionary if you're going to give the definition of ghostwriting.

Also, ghostwriting is a pretty acceptable term. Don't go brushing it off by saying, "they are welcome to call themselves anything they want to: ghostwriters, ghoulwriters, zombieauthors...." because that's pretty much making fun of anyone who ghostwrites. It may have been in good fun, but it's ill form.

Here's a better definition:

": to write for and in the name of another" (ghostwrite)

Basically, they're writing for you, in your name, even if both might have the name on it. You're still taking credit from it when you didn't write anything. It may still be your idea, but the book was ghostwritten by another person (a lot of times, people will know if it's ghostwritten or not, anyway).

And if you really want to cowrite with someone, then you have to put your leg into it, too. That doesn't mean getting the writer past the writer's block. You have to write, too.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
You have to write, too.

Hear! Hear! And exactly that. There's got to be a better incentive here, otherwise you'll stay in limbo with your own writing. Like Cry said, it would be different if it was a collaborative effort.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
So... About once a month I get hit by a wave of detailed inspiration and am now like ten books behind on my writing efforts. Rather then let the ideas go stale, or even worse, be conceptualized and applied by someone else in tune with the same aspects of the times, I'm on the market to co-write the following projects:

1. Space Opera - Delany/Le Guin style (one self-contained volume)

2. Paranormal alternate reality period (circa 1900) steam punk adventure with domina protagonist (possibly pilot of series)

3. Epic international thriller - saving civilization as we know it from a mole&NLP conspiracy sown by the soviets in the 1980's

4. Psychological conspiracy/terrorist/army buddy thriller -includes mystical staff (one self-contained volume)

5. YA - Stine meets Star Trek series of novellas. Pilot and framework of another ready. Preparing about 4 novellas should be enough to go on the market with

6. Horror/thriller - Jaws/Crichton style+the usual Psycho elements, no paranormal. (one self-contained volume)

Proposed method of work:

1. I send the plot summary and character bible. Partner returns with opinions, proposals. I agree or disagree.

2. I send a detailed plot arc, each chapter described by a few sentences. Partner returns with opinions, proposals. I agree or disagree.

3. Partner writes draft of first three chapters. I look and see how things are working out and whether the style that is appearing demands any major tweaking of the plot or characters.

4. Partner completes draft, I read and send back with recommendations concerning the fleshing out

5. Partner fleshes out manuscript. We both edit and proofread. Then we send the manuscript out, have it picked up, become quite successful, live happily ever after. Money split 50 - 50. Worries about rip-offs should be offset by the massive paper (email) trail of working together, possibly exchange of snailmail signed pledges.

So, come one come all, pick a project and get the details. Meanwhile, I'll be working on my other projects
Perhaps you could tell us more about yourself and your own writing experience. All we have to go on so far is that you're ten books behind with your own writing. What's your background? Have you had anything published? Do you have any work online that you could link to so that we can read it? Do you have a day job? Are you a student? How much time will you be able to commit to this?

Invaders

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Please be my ferretpoet

(due to popular demand, point 7 is not deleted)

7. Time and effort: If I give one fifth of my strength and focus to a partnership project, with the partner providing the other four fifth, then I’ll be giving six fifths in all to make two books, while someone else will be giving four fifths to make one book. Or, half a book, royalty and credit wise.

There, how about that then? Oh, ferretpoet, where art thou?

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The creative math in item seven sold me!

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Invaders, why don't you learn to write, and write the books yourself? 99.9% of capable writers have their own ideas ... in fact, they probably have more ideas than you, because writing begets more ideas. See, unless you pay someone well, there is nothing in if for them. They'd rather write their own ideas.

Ideas are a dime a dozen.

Execution of ideas, long hours at the books researching, and weeks on the keyboard are platinum.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
7. Time and effort: If I give one fifth of my strength and focus to a partnership project, with the partner providing the other four fifth, then I’ll be giving six fifths in all to make two books, while someone else will be giving four fifths to make one book. Or, half a book, royalty and credit wise.

The creative math in item seven sold me!

I had to read it a couple of times but I see what he means.

He writes one book on his own (100% or 5/5ths) and 'co-writes' another (where he puts in 1/5th) totally 6/5ths. He ends up with two books, author on one and co-author on the other.

What the original poster doesn't seem to realize is that what he's offering (basic idea and guidance) isn't 1/5th. It's maybe 1/20th (and the easiest 1/20th at that).

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Writers write because they have their own ideas which they want to share with others. Sitting down and actually writing the thing is the hard part (coincidently enough, that's the part the original poster wants to avoid).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have an idea for a song about being really sad because someone I love left me. All I need is someone to write the word and melody and then record it, oh and I want to make them change any bits I don't like.

When do you think I will started getting my royalties?

Invaders

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
To ferret out a ferretpoet

I remember when I was but a fledging wanker, I really believed in the shining promise of the 'get to meet people' websites, where users would fill out forms about themselves, turn-ons, turn-offs, photos of sculpted dudes on beaches, MILFS with masks and teen girls with tilted heads and enormous shades. Young, naïve, full of hopes, I could taste the titties I would be sucking on by this time mañana.

There was a conspicuous lack of success in site number one, so I registered in site number two… number three… number four… It took me some times, but I did eventually figure out what was going on. Although the stated purpose of each of the websites was to let people get to know each other, then meet each other, then suck each other’s appendages, the real purpose was to maintain a cash flow dependant on number of hits and users.

Thus a herd quality of people was subtly utilized: although they joined in order to go find some loving, they quickly ended up spending their time accumulating points, likes, a vip status, a mega-vip status, in short they got sucked, but not by a warm mouth, but rather into the local hierarchy scene. They started hanging out and gossiping with other virtual buddies, sharing photos, discussing newcomers, the veterans becoming the local opinion makers, cliques were formed. The initial goal of quickly finding someone to bonk quickly receded into the background, buried under an avalanche of social activities in a new arena.

Apparently this happens with any social website, whatever the stated purpose. It may be a site for finding brick-laying materials, this changes nothing, a newbie will appear, get some quick sizing up and virtual clawing out of eyes just to be shown how things work here, and then, oh the joy of figuring out the unspoken rules, of being accepted… Who needs brick-laying materials, now that Patriot_1776 and Wolfmoonkid are my friends?

When a corporation decides to seriously implement this mechanism, like with Authonomy, the results are wonderful. Gentlemen, ladies, we are swamped by submissions by untalanted losers and bitter morons. I say: let them fight it out in the arena – and each month only the ones who really don’t have a life and are so good at cajoling others that they should in fact be door to door salesmen, will reach us. On the downside, we will have to publish at least once a year something unpublishable, but think of all the benefits…

Dear Wolfmoonkid, welcome to Authonomy. Your work was wonderful, I read this so quickly, the characters were so real, I was hooked right away, my children also loved it, my parents loved it, the street bum I read bits to loved it, my long dead greatgranpa loved it (I could tell by the way the cups moved), I think I’ll see your book soon in a Barn’o’Peasant, now please back the book of Owen M. and in return I’ll get two other people to put your book on their shelves for two days, deal?

My first contact with the Writer Cooler was in the section of publishers and agents feedbacks and bewares.
This really revived my faith in the decency of the self-organized humankind, yea, virtual anarchic syndicalism will yet save the world…

But wait, perhaps, someone with whom to work together, a ferretpoet can be found here too? Perhaps this is the one place where the users will not be bitter wankers, nor local opinion-making losers who need to prove themselves by clawing my eyes out, but will really behave in the manner expected from the stated purposes of the relevant sections? They will either like or ignore my proposal, or give reasonable advice, just that; maybe if I just come right in, maybe even right now, try to brush off minor character attacks with good grace, make some funny self-depreciative noises to keep the venom of the native lurkers from boiling over… Perhaps then?

(And now for a frustrated fit) You wait and see! I’ll come back and buy this town! You’ll all be sorry once you all work for me! I’ll have a mansion thiiiiiis big! I’ll entertain the prince of Persia every Thursday, mark my words! Oh yeah! And what’s more! There’s more!

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Invaders, you may have to learn to make friends first before anyone will be helpful in a way that you might find useful.

I'm one of those writers who never has any good ideas. Getting a good idea is like pulling teeth to me. I rely on my writing partners to help me out with that.

Good luck with your project!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, you are one of many, many, many people to post in the forums offering to give their story ideas for free to another writer who will do the hideously hard work of writing them down to enjoy the marvelous prize of 50% of the profit. It doesn't make any sense, because any writer capable of writing a novel has more ideas than they could ever possibly write in a lifetime. So in conclusion:

Value of an idea=very low, lower than the proverbial dime a dozen
Value of a 'co-writing' deal in which one person does all the writing for half the benefit=ditto

It's not a matter of anyone being cruel to you, just reality.

Invaders

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
for a roomfull of koontzes

To be honest, you are one of many, many, many people to post in the forums offering to give their story ideas for free to another writer who will do the hideously hard work of writing them down to enjoy the marvelous prize of 50% of the profit. It doesn't make any sense, because any writer capable of writing a novel has more ideas than they could ever possibly write in a lifetime. So in conclusion:

Value of an idea=very low, lower than the proverbial dime a dozen
Value of a 'co-writing' deal in which one person does all the writing for half the benefit=ditto

It's not a matter of anyone being cruel to you, just reality.

You mean like this?
Taken from: http://www.deankoontz.com/mr-murder-from-the-author/

[The second most frequently asked question posed to every writer by readers (hereinafter “The Question”) is Where do you get your ideas? ... A third of the time, the reader will not sincerely care where the writer gets his ideas; he has asked The Question only as a prelude to pitching an idea of his own, which he wants the target novelist to write for him. Frequently, this is not a genuine reader; he has not read a novel since some well-meaning teacher destroyed his love of literature by subjecting him to Silas Marner in the eighth grade; he is instead a person who fantasizes about being a writer (hereinafter “The Megalomaniac”). “My idea is yours for nothing,” The Megalomaniac often says. “All I want is to have my name on the cover.” As often, he will instead say, “All I want for the idea is half the income.”
....The biggest idea I was ever offered came at a cocktail party where a gentleman stipulated that he wanted only “a reasonable commission,” and then announced, “I’ve got a whole new genre of fiction that’ll make you the richest guy in publishing.” I always explain that I can put in the long hours and the hard work to write a novel only when I’m passionate about a story and that I’m only passionate about stories that arise in my own—admittedly strange—head. This gentleman, like every other bearer of big ideas, ignored me and then gave me the shortest pitch I’d ever received, describing his new genre in seven words: “Tom Clancy without all the military stuff.” That was it. He had no more. He was intellectually exhausted, and no wonder. All that I needed to do was pick up the ball and run with it.]

I am a wannabie author pitching moronic ideas to a roomfull of Koontzes? Now that is an idea for a surreal story.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
But wait, perhaps, someone with whom to work together, a ferretpoet can be found here too? Perhaps this is the one place where the users will not be bitter wankers, nor local opinion-making losers who need to prove themselves by clawing my eyes out, but will really behave in the manner expected from the stated purposes of the relevant sections?

The problem here is not that we're incapable of making friends. The problem is that you're not looking for a friend. You're looking for an idiot or a fool.

They will either like or ignore my proposal, or give reasonable advice, just that; maybe if I just come right in, maybe even right now, try to brush off minor character attacks with good grace, make some funny self-depreciative noises to keep the venom of the native lurkers from boiling over… Perhaps then?

1) I'm quite sure that a very large number of people on AW are ignoring your proposal right now.

2) A number of people have given reasonable advice in this-here thread; you're just not in a listening frame of mind.

We're trying to tell you, mate. Ideas are easy. Writing it out is the hard part. I don't care if you're Anonymous Adam or Dean Koontz. A partnership where one person dishes out ideas and the other poor sap turns it into pages is not an equal partnership at all. It's boss/employee. And you're not even offering pay.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Write my story and we'll split it 50/50" is an equally bad idea for anyone :)

Invaders

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
confession of a ferret artist

Alright, I’ve decided to come clean. Your intuitive response was quite right, mighty coolers, you have exposed me. This was all a prank, a hoax, an attempt to scam people into doing my work for me. I was trying to hide behind flowery descriptions, but the soul of a distrustful peasant, no-nonsense forum user can not be deceived as easily as I’d anticipated.

When faced with such unflinching determination, I can keep up the pretence no longer. Please waste thine precious calories on me no more, I’ll be now going back to the drawing board to think up some other scam, put in an honest day’s work for an honest day’s breasts.

And I'd have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I’ve decided to come clean. Your intuitive response was quite right, mighty coolers, you have exposed me. This was all a prank, a hoax, an attempt to scam people into doing my work for me. I was trying to hide behind flowery descriptions, but the soul of a distrustful peasant, no-nonsense forum user can not be deceived as easily as I’d anticipated.

When faced with such unflinching determination, I can keep up the pretence no longer. Please waste thine precious calories on me no more, I’ll be now going back to the drawing board to think up some other scam, put in an honest day’s work for an honest day’s breasts.

And I'd have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids

Oh, you're flouncing. I told you not to. You clearly can write and you should, but no-one here is going to accept your assumption that the idea is the tricky bit. We all have ideas. They're the mean and nasty beasts that we work our arses off trying to render with writing.

Don't flounce. You're funny and you can write. Stay with us. Just don't expect that it's going to be easy.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.