The hard part is after the book is written...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
Regardless of how well I can or can't write, I am much worse at the other side of things. Particularly query letters. Since Absolute Write has been a resource for me for some time, I decided here was a good place to join for help (and hopefully some good discussions to improve in general).

I have been writing for a while but never given publishing the effort it requires. This time I decided that if I'm serious about it, I need to talk to more people, do more research, and so on. My most recent novel is one I feel generally good about, though I'd call it "written" more than "finished." Before I make a final draft I need to hear back from five or six readers, and more importantly get some time away from the book. So here I am.

As far as writing goes, I'm in the fantasy genre. Like most authors in that category, I love epics but I'm finding my ideas that work as standalone novels. I wish there was more fantasy that didn't take place in the equivalent of Europe. Not that there isn't plenty of good fantasy these days, but we could always use more.

I was going to talk about my taste in the genre and authors I'm reading, but I see there's a thread for that. Anyway, glad to be here and I hope to be part of the community.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

Kczimmy

Walking the Tightrope
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Ian-

You will find lots of good feedback here.

Kurt

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Ian! You'll learn all about polishing your manuscript here. Give your query your best shot and slap it up in the Query Letter Hell.. You'll be glad you did. :)

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
From one fantasy author to another, Welcome...

I might add that while finishing the first and second novels can be tough, and the editing and such even tougher, it does get easier as you understand the craft of storytelling and writing.

Hang in there, this is a great place for advice, challenges, and support...

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome, everyone. I had planned to be more active here and then we had no electricity for a while...

AnnaSaikin said:
Welcome to the forum! I can't wait to read your work!
Thank you. I do hope to post some eventually, but it's not ready just yet.

thothguard51 said:
I might add that while finishing the first and second novels can be tough, and the editing and such even tougher, it does get easier as you understand the craft of storytelling and writing.
I've discovered I am definitely the planning type, so I have the most trouble when I start a novel without a clear enough idea what I'm planning to do with it. Though I've finished some books, mostly for myself, I've only set my mind to writing self-contained novels recently. I'm sure you know how hard it is to pitch a series.

New Writer

Registered
Reaction score
You are so right. The creation of the novel is just the beginning. Then the real work begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.