PDA

View Full Version : The Adjustment Bureau

sf.writer.mdk
02-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Can't wait till this one comes out on 3-4-2011. It's based on a short story by Philip K Dick.

Zoombie
02-14-2011, 03:21 AM
Is there a man who has given more awesome short stories that became awesome sci-fi movies than PKD? Nope, I can't think of one either.

DavidZahir
02-14-2011, 04:07 AM
I saw it in a sneak preview. Here is my review (http://zahirblue.blogspot.com/2011/02/adjustment-bureau-review.html).

Calla Lily
02-14-2011, 04:08 AM
It'll have to prove that it's better than the excellent Dark City--which is exactly what it looks like to me.

DavidZahir
02-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Having seen both, I can tell you they really aren't alike much at all.

Summonere
02-14-2011, 04:33 AM
Wow. Hope it's better than Next.

Calla Lily
02-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Having seen both, I can tell you they really aren't alike much at all.

Good. I like Matt Damon so now I'll have an excuse to rent this. :)

Celia Cyanide
02-14-2011, 06:16 AM
It'll have to prove that it's better than the excellent Dark City--which is exactly what it looks like to me.

I don't think they're anything alike, but Dark City is one of the most underrated movies ever.

PrincessofPersia
02-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I love Matt Damon too. I can't wait to see this.

Enzo
02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I saw the trailer first, didn't understand too much about it, but since having it seen described as 'Jason Bourne meets Inception,' my expectations have been rocketing skyhigh. Looks like my kind of movie.

Manuel Royal
02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
It'll have to prove that it's better than the excellent Dark City--which is exactly what it looks like to me.The trailer made me think of Fritz Leiber's novel You're All Alone. Also Ted Sturgeon's story "Yesterday Was Monday". Lots of writers have done paranoid fantasies; not surprising that some similar images keep coming up.

I'm pretty sure that Philip K. Dick accounts for more stories adapted into movies than any other science fiction writer. I never would have predicted that, because so much of what he wrote was internal and surreal.

ETA: Dark City is great, though. I recommend the Director's Cut, which removes the unnecessary prologue (that's also a spoiler).

Calla Lily
02-16-2011, 04:38 PM
"Yesterday was Monday" is a great story.

And I despise prologues in movies. Also voice-over narration. (With the unintentionally humorous exception of Sunset Boulevard: Hi! I'm floating in this swimming pool, dead. Let me tell you how I got here!" *snerk*) Linda Hamilton's overwrought voice-overs in T2 come to mind. Gack.

PrincessofPersia
02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Voice-overs don't bother me if they're done well. Most of them aren't. Usually, seeing the action is more powerful, but sometimes the right narrator can have a nice effect.

Zola
02-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Aww, I didn't realize it was based on a short story. I'll have to go read it first!

maestrowork
02-16-2011, 07:59 PM
The trailers are a bit lackluster for me, but I'll see it. Sounds very interesting.

GCU_Dramatic Exit
02-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Is this going to be another Hollywood version of a PKD story? If so I really hope it's not anything like Paycheck. Wow, did that film stink.

Smileycat
03-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Just saw it yesterday. Loved it. Great love story with a twist. As usual, only the best from both Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. Satisfying movie.

veinglory
03-13-2011, 09:23 PM
It was entertaining and great looking, I enjoyed it without being blown away.

maestrowork
03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
I was lukewarm about it.

Smileycat
03-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Tell me why, please. I might not have gotten everything I should have, movie- or writing-wise.

veinglory
03-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Why I wasn't blown away? The ending was broadcast about halfway through the movie. The gender stereotyping was heavy handed (angels are all men etc). It had some dated elements that made the whole thing feel like a period piece when it wasn't meant to be. The whole last scene had the heroine's cleavage as a supporting actor. The runny-chasey bits strained disbelief occasionally.

That said it had a decent plot, it looked niche, the main characters were pretty convincing.

katiemac
03-15-2011, 06:34 PM
It was entertaining and great looking, I enjoyed it without being blown away.

I agree. I thought the characters were better than I've seen in an equitable film as of late... real people, not characters. I didn't think they capitalized on the doors as much as they could have, nor did I think the ending was very solid. But all in all, I'm glad I saw it. I like that it had a spec twist but it was still more of a mainstream story.

maestrowork
03-15-2011, 06:35 PM
It's a personal taste thing... I find the religious overtone, even though they avoided pinning it on any specific religion, overt. "The man upstairs" metaphor is everywhere. If you're atheist, you may be offended by the connotation of the entire premise... that some "man upstairs" is deciding on your fate.

The doors are cool but reminded me of Monster, Inc. SAME plot. In fact, there are quite a few similarities between this and Monster Inc. (the whole corporation-theme and the doors, etc.)

Regardless, I find the movie a bit too slow, and they didn't give Emily Blunt much to do... it's mostly all about Damon's character, but it's a romance at the core. So it feels unbalanced. The plot is kind of repetitive, too, and reminds me... yeah, this came from a short story. There are also plot holes, as expected and I tried to ignore them, but I couldn't. They stood out for me.

Calla Lily
03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
The whole last scene had the heroine's cleavage as a supporting actor.

This should be a callout on the movie posters.

Smileycat
03-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks, veinglory and maestrowork. I didn't even notice Blunt's chest. lol

I usually don't compare movies of different genres (like animated with live action), so I didn't catch the similarity you saw that it shared with Monsters, Inc.

I based my review on the fact that it was a love story and a new way/reason to keep a couple separated, as well as on the acting abilities of the leads. Both are good actors. The movie did remind me of a Twilight Zone episode where the future was being built just before it occurred and how some things went 'missing' and had to be 'fixed' as they went along. (At least I think it was a TZ ep.) That is similar to the short story comparison you alluded to, maestro.

Thanks again!

maestrowork
03-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I based my review on the fact that it was a love story and a new way/reason to keep a couple separated, as well as on the acting abilities of the leads.

That's why I thought it fell short. It's really a love story -- star-crossed lovers being separated by "fate." But it's heavy on Damon and light on Blunt: her character could have been so cool but wasn't developed. So we're left to just having to take the leap of faith that they would risk everything for each other... meanwhile they really only knew each other for a short time. Yeah, it's romantic but my point is they needed to develop Blunt's character more. And I agree with veinglory the gender stereotype is prevalent.

Smileycat
03-16-2011, 03:39 AM
That's why I thought it fell short. It's really a love story -- star-crossed lovers being separated by "fate." But it's heavy on Damon and light on Blunt: her character could have been so cool but wasn't developed. So we're left to just having to take the leap of faith that they would risk everything for each other... meanwhile they really only knew each other for a short time. Yeah, it's romantic but my point is they needed to develop Blunt's character more. And I agree with veinglory the gender stereotype is prevalent.

I see what you're saying, but most movies tell a story from a certain perspective. There are those who try to tell several sides, but they're not as successful because (in my opinion) the audience gets lost and confused when there is more than one point-of-view.

veinglory
03-16-2011, 03:49 AM
The thing is, we see them both from the outside. It isn't just that she has less screen time. She female is presented as passive (after finding his name she never seeks him out but just prepares to marry the other available male, she can choose to join him or not but has not noticeable ideas of her own, in cahses he leads and she follows). Despite being described a overly risk-taking other than crashing a prty (as manipulated by the Agency to make her meet the hero) she fuctions primarily as a prize for the hero and pawn for the male god and angels. She lacks autonomy.

maestrowork
03-16-2011, 05:08 AM
I agree.. if she likes him so much, she could have sought him out. He's a CONGRESSMAN. She knows who he is. But for 3 years she didn't do anything. She's like "if you want me, you can call me, and if not, I'm not taking the first step." Granted, it's logical but it makes the ending a little unbelievable. She's a passive character. After he dumped her, she didn't do anything either. She just suffered in silence and then married someone she didn't really love? She didn't call Damon and say, "WTF is wrong with you?"

veinglory
03-16-2011, 05:43 AM
And yet we are meant to believe, at least briefly, that PTB breaks them up because she would make him reckless and impulsive.

Don Allen
03-16-2011, 05:57 AM
I liked it, but as with most hollywood entree's of the last few years it just didn't give me enough.... After Kings speech, I'm spoiled again.

Smileycat
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
And yet we are meant to believe, at least briefly, that PTB breaks them up because she would make him reckless and impulsive.

Fault with the writing - plot errors. Who out there believes truly in equality for men and women? In fact, not many.

veinglory
03-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Is that a serious question? Who out there truly believes in equally of the sexes? In the first world just about everyone I should think. Are you really suggesting that implicit misogyny should not be considered a flaw?

Smileycat
03-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Is that a serious question? Who out there truly believes in equally of the sexes? In the first world just about everyone I should think. Are you really suggesting that implicit misogyny should not be considered a flaw?

What I was saying was that even in today's more open and equal society, there is still a tendency for men to boss around women, feel like it's their right to do so. Women are still exploited, sexually and every other way. Their children are, too.

Women often try to assert themselves, only to be beaten into submission, maimed or killed by the men in their lives. We're not there yet is what I'm saying. Proof is in the pudding.

ALLWritety
06-19-2011, 06:22 PM
I saw it and I liked the movie per sa but i was confused. I had heard that it was about time travel and they kept going back in time to stop them getting together. I didn't read any more reviews coz i wanted to see it and make my own mind up. So when it unfolds there is no time travel at all. I even made a joke/comment about time travel in another thread but it wasn't there.

Maybe i should read some more reviews before I see a movie eh?

Kev

seaaircarol
06-26-2011, 12:47 AM
I just rented this On Demand. I also wondered at first why she didn't seek him out during the three years. But she had given him her number. Maybe she decided he wasn't interested after all. I don't necessarily see that as passive, though I do agree that in general she was.

seaaircarol
06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I've been thinking about this movie, and I realized that something else bothers me. If you met someone who acknowledged the existence of a higher being, wouldn't you ask a few questions about that? Wouldn't you be just a little bit curious? (i.e., what happens after death, do we live more than one life, is there a heaven, etc.) But all Norris asked about was his own little world (unless I'm forgetting something--I know they had the discussion about free will).

seun
07-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I really enjoyed it although I can agree with the point about Emily Blunt being underused. It was much more Damon's story.

Lavern08
07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
** SPOILER ALERT **

Saw it yesterday - Really enjoyed it.

Interesting angels in hats - I thought they were cool.

I totally understood why Emily didn't pursue Damon.

He was a handsome, popular politician...He could have his pick of women.

She didn't want to appear too "easy." She wanted him to pursue her and prove that he was serious about establishing a relationship. ;)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-21-2011, 11:40 AM
She didn't want to appear too "easy." She wanted him to pursue her and prove that he was serious about establishing a relationship. ;)And thus Veinglory's attempts to establish the equality of women is set back a hundred years.

I just finally saw it tonight. I had no idea going in that it was about angels; the trailers had me thinking they were aliens! Talk about gack. I could see that it was not an altogether horrible film, but I was so disappointed to see more male angels running around in their Castiel-trenchcoats I really couldn't give the thing a fair chance. I did like the doors tho.

RayC
07-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Its a good film. Just saw it a few days ago. Not what I thought it would be but interesting.

QueenViv
07-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Saw it last night. I was expecting Sci-Fi... instead I got a chick flick with angels and a barely-there sci-fi twist. I can't stress enough how much I dislike romantic films (saved a couple exceptions.). Don't get me wrong: I'm as romantic as the next girl! But there's something really wrong with the heroines and the plots of chick-flicks that pisses me off. Why would any sane man want to be with any of those women? And the final "I'll chase her because I love her"... WTF??? Who said that was a great thing to do? Is it done to fulfill the need women (supposedly) have to be chased? It's in every romantic film for the past 20 years or so. THe ones I watched had it, at least.

Emily Blunt's character had potential to be so much more. I can see she did what she could with the part given. Still, I wish there had been more of her than a stand in typical heroine. One more thing:why wouldn't she try to talk to him in those eleven months they were apart? If a I met a guy three times and we fell in love and then he left me at a hospital, I'd ask questions... I'd raise hell. Instead, she just decided to get back together with her ex and marry him? [/spoilers]

I was disappointed with the film. The ending was stupid to the extreme! [spoiler] what did she sacrifice? how was she "risking everything to be with him" exactly? Would you have stayed behind after seeing what she saw? I wouldn't! That doesn't mean I'd be in love with anyone I was running with...

The cool things about the movie were the clothing of the "angels" and the doors. The fact they were all men was a little odd but it wasn't my main problem. The doors could have been better explored. All in all, disappointing! I'm glad I didn't pay to see it!

gothicangel
12-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I just saw this, and agree that something was missing, I just ended up feeling extremely confused.

I bought the DVD after seeing the trailer, thinking it looked like a decent romance-sci-fi, but it left me really cold.

Watched once, and give it away.

Ed Panther
12-09-2011, 11:11 PM
The movie was actually very good. The chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt is lovely.

Ed Panther
12-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Saw it last night. I was expecting Sci-Fi... instead I got a chick flick with angels and a barely-there sci-fi twist. I can't stress enough how much I dislike romantic films (saved a couple exceptions.). Don't get me wrong: I'm as romantic as the next girl! But there's something really wrong with the heroines and the plots of chick-flicks that pisses me off. Why would any sane man want to be with any of those women? And the final "I'll chase her because I love her"... WTF??? Who said that was a great thing to do? Is it done to fulfill the need women (supposedly) have to be chased? It's in every romantic film for the past 20 years or so. THe ones I watched had it, at least.

Emily Blunt's character had potential to be so much more. I can see she did what she could with the part given. Still, I wish there had been more of her than a stand in typical heroine. One more thing:why wouldn't she try to talk to him in those eleven months they were apart? If a I met a guy three times and we fell in love and then he left me at a hospital, I'd ask questions... I'd raise hell. Instead, she just decided to get back together with her ex and marry him? [/spoilers]

I was disappointed with the film. The ending was stupid to the extreme! [spoiler] what did she sacrifice? how was she "risking everything to be with him" exactly? Would you have stayed behind after seeing what she saw? I wouldn't! That doesn't mean I'd be in love with anyone I was running with...

The cool things about the movie were the clothing of the "angels" and the doors. The fact they were all men was a little odd but it wasn't my main problem. The doors could have been better explored. All in all, disappointing! I'm glad I didn't pay to see it!

I agree the ending is pretty bad.

MrRuff
12-14-2011, 01:01 AM
When I saw this, something about Emily Blunt's character jolting awake in a completely unnatural way brought me to tears. I don't know why, I just found it so incredibly hilarious. I had to hide under my jacket for ten minutes while the giggles subsided.

Then after that, I started to spot hilarity everywhere. Like the totally serious reading of the line "Sir! He has a hat!!!"

Also, when Matt Damon and Emily Blunt are talking in a public bathroom and a man in a fedora walks in, and Damon doesn't hesitate to punch his lights out. What if it's some poor, random hat-loving gentleman who just wanted to pee?

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen, for sure.