Urban Fiction?

cdcounselor

Certified amateur, part-time pro
Registered
Reaction score
I read an explanation of Urban Fiction on another forum and it sounded very much like what I write except for the specifics of its particular ethnicity. My story follows the same format as what was outlined except it is about an Italian American neighborhood rather than African American culture. I'm looking for an agent but cannot find a fit. My 90,000 word story is more along the lines of a Scorsese movie than what what was depicted in the Urban Fiction definition. Any suggestions or advice?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for an agent but cannot find a fit.

What books are like yours? Query those writers' agents. Lorenzo Carcaterra's agent, for instance.

"Urban fiction" in US publishing is currently used as a category descriptor for books about African American characters, by African American writers. Yes, people of all racial and ethnic self-identifications live in cities, but category descriptors are just professional shorthand/jargon. Agents who say they represent "urban fiction" are looking for books in that particular category.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As mentioned, here is the US 'Urban Fiction' like 'Urban Music' is often a euphemism for material by and about black Americans.

cdcounselor

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. To answer your question I guess I'd choose books such as The Basketball Dairies by Jim Carrol and Wise Guy by Nicholas Pileggi, but actually closer to the movie Good Fellas because of the coming of age element. To Kill the Irishman, by Rick Porello, which by the way was the same setting for my story. It is similar to the movies Once Upon a Time in America, again with that growing up together into crime aspect like its film adaptation, and close to another movie, A Bronx Tale. My story is somewhat similar to Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra, or even along the same lines as The Raging Bull by Jake La Motta.
It's graphic, often with crude language depicting violent behavior, and laced with drug abuse and criminal activity of a segment of the Baby Boomer generation though set in an Italian American neighborhood.

cdcounselor

Registered
Reaction score
It's a crime novel. I think. Like the Godfather?

Not really. The story is not about a single crime family, but rather outlines criminal activity other than lots of seemingly normal drug abuse embedded in the Woodstock era and beyond. It is fiction loosly based on personal experience using composite characters. It does have a romantic element as one of its principle themes, but could not be considered a romance novel. I'm stuck...