PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Googlemaps Streetview?

redsoxboy123
02-13-2011, 02:18 AM
Hello! My name is Redsoxboy. I'm currently working on a story (which is why I came to AW). I am going to college! :P
In my spare time, I like to check out the world via Streetview! I've been using Streetview since the day it came out! I'm very addicted to it! :D
But every now and then a new country will get released (The last new country was Romania).
What do you people use Streetview for? To explore new countries?

What countries do you wish could get some coverage someday? For me I would like to see Argentina, Eastern Europe (Poland, Hungary, Austria...), and South Korea. :P

Goodbye people!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-13-2011, 02:46 AM
I use it for quite boring purposes - I check out commercial properties that I'm doing insurance quotes on. It's really handy for finding the nearest fire hydrant. :)

Cliff Face
02-13-2011, 02:49 AM
I've never used it before. *shrug*

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-13-2011, 02:52 AM
Go look up your house, Cliff. It's pretty cool, actually.

Cliff Face
02-13-2011, 02:53 AM
Okay, I'll have to check my house out I guess...

Be right back. :)

whimsical rabbit
02-13-2011, 02:56 AM
I do.

It can be a writer's best friend. ;)

Cliff Face
02-13-2011, 02:56 AM
It shows the vacant lot which used to be the site of this house. The house was built about 2 years ago...

I guess they don't update South Australia too often...

BenPanced
02-13-2011, 03:26 AM
I've been using it to research my hometown for my current WIP. I haven't lived there for 24 years now, and I'm amazed at how well I can still navigate between landmarks.

KellyAssauer
02-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Apparently, it doesn't like my computer or where I live. =(

redsoxboy123
02-13-2011, 03:52 AM
They don't update Australia/New Zealand. D:
But they did update Japan (one of my favorite places!). Now I can go driving around Tokyo in hi resolution. I love Tokyo! Its the worlds biggest metropolitan area (35 millon!) I know the city very well thanks to Streetview!
You guys should check out Sao Paulo or any city in Asia like Hong Kong, Singapore or Taipei, Taiwan. They are pretty interesting places. :D
I like Sao Paulo because of the HUGE skyline! Their skyline is unbelievable! O___o

When are they going to release coverage of Argentina, eastern Europe or South Korea? I can't wait any longer! D:
Because of this delayed coverage, I've been going back to London, Madrid, Sao Paulo...
Maybe someday we could see coverage of the WHOLE ENTIRE world! This includes:
Central America (Honduras, Belize, Panama...) and the Carribean (Puerto Rico, Jamaica or the Bahamas would be nice to have coverage!
More of South America (Venezuela, Peru, Colombia...)
Africa (Kenya, Egypt, Nigeria)
Every country in Europe including Russia and Turkey
Middle Eastern cities like Istanbul, Cairo or Tehran
More Eastern and Southern Asia (India, Mainland China, Thailand, The Phillpines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia...)

I know thats a lot of places, but some of those places could get released someday. lets just keep our fingers crossed! :P

Vito
02-13-2011, 05:07 AM
I just Google Streetviewed my house. The image isn't current, because it shows a car in my driveway and there's no car in my driveway at the moment.

Wait a second, I just noticed something on this here Google Streetview image of my house...If I look closely at the large front bedroom window, I can see a 40-something guy who sort of resembles me spying on his neighbors with a pair of binoculars. What the heck?!?

BeatrixKiddo
02-13-2011, 05:42 AM
I use it for stalking, you know, the usual. ;)

I thought it was cool when I finally got a chance to use it to check out how much it had changed where I grew up. I've also used it a bit lately around town since you tend to "miss" things hiding in plain view as you drive along.

I think it's pretty neato.

Clair Dickson
02-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Up until last year or so, you could see my husband's silver car parked at the far end of the lot at his (former) retail job.

Maryn
02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Our daughter's car is in the driveway in our Street View.

I most often use it when we're planning a trip. How can we spot the hotel? What businesses, signs, or landmarks are in the same block? What does its sign look like? Where's the turn-off for the hotel's parking lot? Is there on-street parking? You can get all of that on Street View.

Maryn, who's never used it for cybertourism

smoothseas
02-13-2011, 07:21 PM
I just Google Streetviewed my house. The image isn't current, because it shows a car in my driveway and there's no car in my driveway at the moment.

Wait a second, I just noticed something on this here Google Streetview image of my house...If I look closely at the large front bedroom window, I can see a 40-something guy who sort of resembles me spying on his neighbors with a pair of binoculars. What the heck?!?

And, that's precisely why it makes me shudder.

Though, I do have to admit, it's utile and definitely a cyber passport to adventure.

Pistol Whipped Bee
02-13-2011, 07:22 PM
I think it's brilliant. It's a great way to explore when you can't actually get yourself to where you want to explore.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
It's amazing what shows up from the satellite view that you can't see from the ground.

The outlines of those four graves out back glow like a beacon...

Shakesbear
02-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I find that parts of London, that I am interested in, are not very up to date and so I don't bother.

redsoxboy123
02-13-2011, 10:02 PM
But do any of you guys use it to see international skylines (like Sao Paulo) or freeways (like the Expressway system of Tokyo)? Thats basically what I use it for.

What countries are you hoping gets some coverage this year? I would eventually like to see ALL the countries that I mentioned above. And when will this coverage get released?

Guys, what foreign countries have you been checking out lately? I went back to Madrid and London. Mostly because I was bored.
London is a VERY COOL city that I want to visit someday! Did you know they are going to host the 2012 Summer Olympics? I can't wait!

Bye

knotane
02-13-2011, 10:24 PM
ooh, I like it. I also like http://cam.switch.ch/index.en.html

I'm a stay at home parent when not pretending to be a writer...or an artist... or whatever the daydream of the moment suggests.

Virtually escaping helps. "Not now, kids. Mommy is in Zurich. AHahAHAHahahah."

:)

Trilby
02-14-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm also an artist and have seen it used to paint "on site" without traveling to the site. I have found it doesn't include a lot of the rural areas.
TJ

Vito
02-14-2011, 12:54 AM

Yeah, the potential for spying is really scary. Especially if I'm all alone at home, crankin' the stereo, doing "air guitar" and "beer bottle microphone". Pretty embarassing stuff.

knotane
02-14-2011, 01:40 AM

Though, I do have to admit, it's utile and definitely a cyber passport to adventure.

I don't know what's worse, finding out you have a stalker, or having your underoos on display for Googlers the world over:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/8209311/Japanese-woman-sues-Google-for-displaying-images-of-underwear.html

redsoxboy123
02-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Hey guys! I have good news for everyone that LOVES Googlemaps Streetview!

Google is going to film the streets of the Middle East! Possible locations include:
Israel: Tel Aviv and Jerusalem
Morocco: Casablanca
and Turkey: Istanbul

What do you think of that? I think its a great way to promote tourism to those areas!!
I'm excited! How about you guys? :P

Mac H.
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
They don't update Australia/New Zealand.Some parts of Australia have certainly been updated since the first release.

Sometime in the last year I saw the Streetview car drive past here which prompted me to recheck the local photos - sure enough the images had been updated since the launch.

Edited to add: Curiously I just went back to see if they'd been updated with the images I saw being taken .. and the old images are back up! Was it my imagination?

Mac