PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how far I'm willing to go to know...

Perks
02-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Ladies who shave, have you, for medical or other reasons, ever let your leg and armpit hair grow out?

Of course, television shows will let women stay stranded on a primitive island for three seasons, but they never somehow regrow their fur.

So, if you've ever gone from smooth to fuzzy (or all the way to bigfoot) for how long did you forgo shaving and tell me all about it, if you care to share.

JoNightshade
02-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Oh, this is my topic. Haha. For starters, I always shave my armpits; it's just more comfortable and I have no issues with doing it. Sometimes I let it grow out a little just because I'm absentminded, but when I notice it gets whacked off.

Legs: I shaved as a teen and in college. However, it has ALWAYS been an ordeal. I have thick, black leg hair. Nothing I have ever done has been comfortable. Doesn't matter if I use a razor or an electric. With the razor I usually cut myself around my knees and with either type I get ingrown hairs and HORRENDOUS itching and break out all in red splotches. It's a constant battle to keep my legs shaved and it results in almost constant discomfort. So I have always let my hair grow out in winter and then shaved it whenever I wanted to wear shorts or a swim suit and then dealt with the consequences after as best I could.

However I honestly haven't shaved my legs in several years. I'm married and my husband doesn't care. I don't go swimming often and I hardly ever wear shorts, so... yeah.

And yeah, occasionally people see my hairy legs. Some women totally freak out and think it's all gross. I say, what's the big deal? It's natural.

Perks
02-13-2011, 02:00 AM
Okay, so ignore me if I'm being too nosy, but how long does your leg hair get. Is it sparse enough to see a lot of skin through it or are your calves pretty well carpeted?

Thanks for the info!

Calla Lily
02-13-2011, 02:17 AM
I'm a dark, hairy Italian. If I go without shaving the legs or the pits for a week, I have discernable fur.

In the 70s, when I worked at the Y, we had many female members who thought shaving their legs and pits was a symbol of male oppression. (They used those words.) So when they came to work out in business suits and hose and flats--I got a clear view of matted leg hair under their stockings. At a guess, the hair was 1/4" long on some of them. I didn't see their pits, because I didn't clean the showers when someone was using them.

I have no prob with someone ditching the razor, but I have to say that stocking-matted leg hair is not a fashionable choice.

Perks
02-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Thanks, calalily. I guess what I want to hear - what I'm too something to find out for myself - is how it feels. If you've been smooth and you grow it out, do you notice it for very long? Do you feel any different? Does it feel different in the shower? Under the covers?

And, seriously, leg hair and sheer stockings --- just no.

Thump
02-13-2011, 02:27 AM
I often go without shaving pits or legs for months at a time when I'm single. I wear trousers almost exclusively so no one sees my legs, same with tops, I hardly ever wear anything where anyone might see my pits. I prefer it to the hassle of shaving and razor burns. Also, I am not entirely comfortable with this whole "women should be hairless" thing, it's a bit infantilizing to me. Same with down there. The whole prepubescent look makes me uncomfortable. Women have hair, that's just how it is...

Anyway, it's not like you'll ever be able to like, braid your pit hair. For me, even after several months it stops growing at about 3cm. I don't have especially hairy legs and they grow about 2 cms top. I never measured though. :D I don't find that it looks messy, it seems to be naturally tidier than man pit hair (sometimes I wish men would shave off their pit hair) and shorter too.

ETA: You don't actually feel it when it's grown out. I don't know if it's because it's a gradual growth or what. If anything, I feel my pits more when they are clean-shaven because there is a lot more friction. heheh.

It kills the razor blade when I do shave, usually in summer or when there is a man in my life though :) I don't care enough about making a statement re: pit and leg hair to not shave when I have a partner who will see it although I do expect that they keep themselves tidy. I don't want to sleep with a hairy beast any more than they do. :D

LBlankenship
02-13-2011, 02:45 AM
Ladies who shave, have you, for medical or other reasons, ever let your leg and armpit hair grow out?

Of course, television shows will let women stay stranded on a primitive island for three seasons, but they never somehow regrow their fur.

So, if you've ever gone from smooth to fuzzy (or all the way to bigfoot) for how long did you forgo shaving and tell me all about it, if you care to share.

I stopped shaving years ago. Have no plans to restart. For the record, I'm not a terribly furry person -- fine, brown hair that isn't very impressive even on my head. What do you want to know?

ETA: FTR, I wear pants 90% of the time and don't wear tank tops. I don't do swimsuits. None of that has anything to do with hair, though.

shaldna
02-13-2011, 02:47 AM
i've done it in the past for a couple of months at a time - being single and attending an agricultural college does weird things to your priorities.

It doesn't get that long, about the same length as untrimmed public hair. Didn't really bother me. Didn't seem to notice sweat so much. The hair was soft after a while too, not stubbly and coarse.

Kateness
02-13-2011, 02:49 AM
I always shave my armpits.

In the winter, I can go for extended periods of not shaving my legs. Thick, dark hair makes it a time-consuming chore and as no one's going to see, it doesn't bug me to not shave it. As to length...right now, my legs look approximately like any moderately hairy man's legs.

Calla Lily
02-13-2011, 02:51 AM
Thanks, calalily. I guess what I want to hear - what I'm too something to find out for myself - is how it feels. If you've been smooth and you grow it out, do you notice it for very long? Do you feel any different? Does it feel different in the shower? Under the covers?

And, seriously, leg hair and sheer stockings --- just no.

No, no difference. Like shaldna said, once it gets past the stubble stage, it gets softer.

Perks
02-13-2011, 03:12 AM
being single and attending an agricultural college does weird things to your priorities.

This could make an opening line to a fun story.

raburrell
02-13-2011, 03:23 AM
I used to be a fairly serious competitive swimmer - always kept the underarms shaved, but I'd let my legs go for a month or two before nationals. My hair is pretty light and fine, though I hated the way it felt at the time, but man, it was a thing of beauty diving into the pool for the first time after shaving down...

Jersey Chick
02-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Okay - during the winter, I shave my legs once a week (or as needed if I need to wear a dress or skirt for any reason) and pits every 2-3 days because no one really sees either. But during the summer, my pits get done every day (short sleeved shirts and tank tops) and my legs are shaved every other day.

My legs get kinda furry after a week or so, and I only recently discovered how dark my leg hair gets. I'd be too self-conscious to let it go in the summer. :D

jaksen
02-13-2011, 05:09 AM
This is the weirdest thread by far.

Now I know far too much about many of you and why did I read this?

meh meh meh

I need a drink.

sunandshadow
02-13-2011, 05:16 AM
I shaved my legs when I was in high school but when I was in college I decided it was a horrible waste of time, on top of the fact that I hate stubble and am prone to razor rash, so I just damn well wasn't going to do it any more. The hair on my legs is basically the same as that on a man's legs; not much else to say about it really.

MaryMumsy
02-13-2011, 06:27 AM
I stopped shaving years ago. Never wear sleeveless, and longish skirts. My pit hair was always more noticeable than leg hair. Razor rash and the nuisance factor played into my decision. Being blonde made it easier to get away with. An interesting side note: since I'm past 'the change' my leg hair is almost nonexistent.

MM

Lyra Jean
02-13-2011, 06:52 AM
I don't shave too often. I keep the pits shaved more than my legs. My husband makes the Chewbacca noise when he thinks I'm too hairy but then he waxes his back for me so what can I say. I only shave my lower legs my upper legs aren't noticeably different and I wear swimsuits without shaving my upper legs. Maybe the hair is a different color. Otherwise my lower legs have black hair but never gets carpety.

When I was in Basic Training. (I didn't make it long story). I stopped shaving completely. The other girls thought it was gross but there really wasn't enough time in the showers to shave properly and I wasn't about to cut myself open.

Wow and I realize how long this post is so I'm going to stop now.

cornetto
02-13-2011, 07:34 AM
I shave my legs every other day during the summer because I wear shorts at work. Once it gets cold enough to pack the shorts away, I stop shaving. I still have to work outside during the winter, so a bit of fur does help. My husband doesn't mind once it gets past the sharp, stubbly phase (probably 2 weeks). Not shaving during the winter keeps my skin happy. Last winter I had 12 weeks of PT after knee surgery, then daily gym after that, which meant wearing shorts in public, which meant regular shaving, which resulted in terrible dry skin and misery. And my legs were freakin' cold all winter, lol.

Come spring, when the temps start creeping up into the 60s, I break out the razor. That first day without the fur is a bit weird. There is a tactile thing there--blue jeans on bare skin--but it's also mental, like forgetting your watch or cell phone or wallet. Strange sensation.

backslashbaby
02-13-2011, 09:23 AM
I can go ages in the winter without shaving my legs. I hate razor burn, etc, too, which happens when the humidity drops so much. I also like the feeling of my sparse, long hair than razor stubble. I'm sure as hell not shaving daily in the winter, so I'm stubble-free the other way.

Mine's sparse and only on a few parts of my lower legs, but man it's very long, lol. 3/4 inch, no lie. It is too sparse and pale to look at all carpety, but it does look pretty odd. I wear long pants all winter, lol.

I always do the pits because they are quick, easy and not sensitive. It takes a lot of time to shave my legs for some reason, probably my bad back.

JoNightshade
02-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Okay, so ignore me if I'm being too nosy, but how long does your leg hair get. Is it sparse enough to see a lot of skin through it or are your calves pretty well carpeted?

Thanks for the info!

Basically the same as a dude's legs. Say the dude is fairly hairy and has dark hair. That's what my legs look like. And unlike some women, I could NEVER get away with only shaving the lower half of my legs. I tried doing that for a while but found I was always paranoid about my shorts/skirt hiking up far enough that people could see. If I wanted to shave regularly and not have stubble I'd basically have to do it every morning. I have long legs and it's just not worth the time!

As for the feel, unshaven legs are so much better. When I shave my legs the most noticeable thing right away is that it's COLD. Leg hair really is a good insulator. Also, and this may be kind of weird, but it sorta feels like part of my sensory input has been cut off. Like, you get feedback from hair, right? Because it brushes on stuff and whatnot. When I shave suddenly my legs go "blind." I'm a very tactile person though so that might just be me. :)

blacbird
02-13-2011, 11:42 AM
If you can do leg dreadlocks, it's probably time to shave.

This goes for guys, too.

Wicked
02-13-2011, 11:28 PM
It drives me nuts to go more than a couple days without shaving my underarms. At the three day mark it feels like I'm growing cushion cactus in my armpits.

I don't really notice leg hair as much. It's light, and sparse, so even when it's been going for a week, it doesn't show up all that much. Generally I only bother shaving if I'm going to wear a dress, swimsuit, or shorts. Or, those times when my husband brushes up against them under the covers and yells, "Damn, woman! Shave those legs!".

LaceWing
02-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Didja know that synchronized swimmers don't shave? That way they can feel how far out of the water their legs are when doing tricks.

Perks
02-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Didja know that synchronized swimmers don't shave? That way they can feel how far out of the water their legs are when doing tricks.
I did not know that. Clever.

This will also be the next factoid I will launch that will make my husband say, "Why the F*** do you know that?!"

bettielee
02-13-2011, 11:52 PM
ok Perks... you ast so I'm tellin'.

I used to get the most horrendous itchy condition when I would shave. I used to literally itch my skin off and have huge tracts of fleshless shinnage because of scratching and itching when the hair would grow back in. I just couldn't not itch. This happened for ages, and I tried everything: nair, epilady, yes the epilady, and that expensive lotion to remove hair, don't remember the name, that everyone bought from the infomercial on the tv that was like nair, and didn't work any better. I tried the stone that sloughed away your hair, and your first layer of skin, and all of them left me with the same itchy condition. I also tried every cream and moisturizer known to man and all it did was make everything worse. So I didn't shave my legs on a regular basis until I was around 35 - when it finally stopped. I'm not much of a skirt wearer.

So now you know my aweful secret. You want to know any more and I will humiliate myself in a pm rather than here.

Don't judge me!

tee hee

bettielee
02-13-2011, 11:56 PM
oh, duh, I didn't answer the question.

yes, I had the strings of black hair on my legs and would have died if I had to show my legs when I was younger! but I found that my leg hair got sparser and sparser as I got older. Even now, I only have to spot shave....

MAP
02-14-2011, 12:37 AM
I have really fine blonde hair that is very sparse on my legs. I seriously stopped shaving years ago because no one (including my husband) could tell the difference. The hair is short and soft, and even when I run my hand over my leg, I can't feel the hair.

My armpit hair is different, darker and a little thicker, far from carpet, but noticable. I don't shave my pits in the winter, but in the summer, I like to wear tank tops, so I shave them every two to three days.

Rowan
02-14-2011, 02:30 AM
I'm a shaver. I'm almost always in shorts though (gym shorts year round and skirts/dresses/shorts in Spring-Summer-early Fall).

I have a lot of hair on my head (thick) but not elsewhere so shaving is easy. I don't even really think about it. It's just part of my grooming routine. :)

Pistol Whipped Bee
02-14-2011, 02:37 AM

One week. No razors in the pokey.

tiny
02-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Last time I went from smooth to fuzzy was when I happened to be preggy. I couldn't see past my baby infestation to shave... and my arms weren't long enough. Man was I shocked after he was born. I don't go more that a day without shaving. I hate the way it feels and I'm afraid the friction may start a fire.

Canotila
02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Anyway, it's not like you'll ever be able to like, braid your pit hair.

Actually, there's a group of girls at our local college who dye their pit hair purple and braid/bead it. It's pretty awesome. The braids are only a couple of inches long. Since pit hair is curly on some people I imagine you could get some decent little braids out of it once it's all grown out.

Sometimes I go without shaving since my husband doesn't care and I hate getting ingrown hairs. It's dark, but just kind of, leg fuzz. Definitely not anywhere near as hairy as him. After waxing it a few times it grows in a lot sparser and lighter now.

Perks
02-14-2011, 05:26 PM
One week. No razors in the pokey.

It only takes a week to grow all the way out? That's as long as it's gonna get?

backslashbaby
02-14-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm pretty darned sure mine grew for a couple of weeks. It's stopped now. I've had no need to wear a dress in a while :D

Yeah, I'd say the 2-week length is as long as mine seems to get. My hair and nails grow pretty fast, though.

tjwriter
02-14-2011, 11:32 PM
I shave my armpits regularly. Not every day, but every couple of days.

I stopped shave my legs a few years ago. My hair is very light and very fine. And there is not a lot of it. Since I don't wear shorts often and you have to be looking to find the hair, it's just not worth the effort.

Theo81
02-15-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm an enemy of the expectation that women "must" be shaven, and a particular enemy of the extreme lengths women are expected to go to because men regard having hair on your lady bits as revolting. Hair is normal and decision about what to do with it rests entirely in the hands of the person it is attached to. (Sorry to get a bit ranty, I've heard one to many gasps of horror regarding a female's decision not to wax "down there", from both sexes.)

I hardly ever wear skirts so my legs are quite hairy, but on me it's very fine hair so it's not a bother. When I do shave my legs, I'm very aware for a couple of days that I've done it - I can feel the inside of my trousers and I'm aware of the air on my legs and they feel colder to the touch.

My pits are very coarse and black so, because I'm the only one who gets a look at them, they tend to get sorted out in response to whether it will show with what I'm wearing. They have been very, very hairy at times (Inch or so seems to be their maximum legnth) and when this happens they can sometimes be itchy if I'm sweating a lot and, because they are hairy, they will be damper (when I'm shaved the sweat transfers to my clothing).
I find that with my very coarse hair, it's better to let them grow out a little before shaving them again. Trying to keep them shaven all the time leads to hard stubble which is impossible to get rid of and shows up really badly in my pale Welsh skin. As the hair grows, it does soften and a fresh shave on long hair does a better job visibly than shaving every couple of days.

My usual routine is a mix of waxing topped up with shaving. The waxing does make the hair grow back much more lightly, but I do need to exfoliate well to avoid the ingrown hairs. If I have waxed and then leave off waxing, I would expect it to eventually return to full coarseness, based on my personal experiences that far.

If you have any follow up questions, I am more than pleased to share. We wouldn't be coy about the hair on our heads, so why should we be coy about the hair anywhere else?

backslashbaby
02-15-2011, 02:37 AM
I get really irritated with the really personal shaving/waxing reactions, too. How much time in a day are we supposed to be taking to remove all of this hair? And ingrown hairs in certain areas are just not an OK answer, in my book. Nor is stubble. If hair is 'gross' down there, surely stubble is ten times worse.

I change my routines in the extreme heat of summer, to be honest, but that's not out of any embarrassment that I have hair like a grown woman.

Maybe we'll move to powdered wigs down there sometime in the future :D No stubble, rashes, or ingrowns with that, anyway ;)

tjwriter
02-15-2011, 02:44 AM
I keep it simple down yonder with a trick I picked up while pregnant. A man's beard trimmer does wonders to keep it all neat and tidy with the risk of razor burn or ingrown hairs. From a comfort/personal perspective, I don't like it completely gone and I don't like it a jungle, so this is a happy compromise.

backslashbaby
02-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Me, too! There is a world of comfort difference between trying to remain clean-shaven vs trimmed/clipped short (in a lot of places).

I'm prone to razor burn, heat rash -- you name it. Sensitive, pale skin, ya know.

sunandshadow
02-15-2011, 04:02 AM
It only takes a week to grow all the way out? That's as long as it's gonna get?
For leg hair I'd say more like 3 weeks. It stops being sharp after a week, but the full length for mine is 3/4" and it grows about 1/4" a week.

Orion11Bravo
02-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Last time I went from smooth to fuzzy was when I happened to be preggy. I couldn't see past my baby infestation to shave... and my arms weren't long enough. Man was I shocked after he was born. I don't go more that a day without shaving. I hate the way it feels and I'm afraid the friction may start a fire.

Funny...as my wife was in labor...during a contraction...the doc made an off handed comment about what a good job she did shaving...

ULTRAGOTHA
02-17-2011, 05:50 AM
I hate shaving and very very rarely do it. I shaved my legs from the knee down for each of my sister's weddings. Other than that, never. And I may shave my arm pits once a year in the summer.

When I do shave my legs they certainly feel very different than otherwise. I have very little hair but you can certainly see it when I'm not wearing trousers.

LIVIN
02-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Mine is sparse enough to see a lot of skin and I'm a guy!

Also, I've been turned on by armpit hair. Too bad more don't show it. Although, I've also been turned off by too much leg hair.

lastlittlebird
02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
To be perfectly honest I like the feel of my armpit hair when its just starting to grow in... dare I say it reminds me of coarse velvet? To touch anyway... I don't really notice much difference in the area itself, or on my legs.
But I don't think I've ever grown it out all that far. I've got PCOS combined with part Middle Eastern blood, so I imagine if an apocolyptic winter ever arrived I could keep myself plenty warm.
Probably have enough left over for tinder too :D