Cover Crit Request: Little Sister

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
This is a YA vampire novella, which I'm publishing in ebook only. I figure this is about how big the cover will be on Amazon. Tell me which one you like better. (Or if there are different elements you think should be combined...?)

ls2.jpg
ls3.jpg

ls4.jpg
ls5.jpg

Thanks!

cosmia

~
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool. I like the bottom left cover best. The red looks nicer, I think, and I like the placement of the title. Also, the angel is probably clearest in that one.

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SwordOfShakespeare.com

Valerie:

I like the 4th (bottom right) cover best. I think your name is better/clearer not using the script text and I like the black blob pattern relative to your angel statue better in that one. I didn't like the 'a vampire novella' as you have it and think it would look better in the size/script font of #2 (upper left) but!!! do it in red? (and I'd have some separation between the title and the text in question). I mean, come on, this is about vampires, right? I would have gone for the red as the spalsh pattern but each of yours is a bit too busy for my tastes.

Just a thought.

Michael

(just had another thought; when I look at your covers, I get the sense I'm looking down and into a lake, like this is a reflection. Now, not sure if that's what you were aiming for, but if you did, why not add some ripple and accentuate this pov?)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer it without the red. The bloody look isn't appealing and most ereaders won't support it anyway. I buy alot straight from my kindle and the covers that are already in black and white look much sharper than ones originally in color. They turn into a sort of gray smear.

I also like four, but without the letters in script. All block is so much easier to read. Maybe all black and white except A Vampire Novella in red? The way it is right now, those words are sort of a throwaway. They vanish in the cover.

LfB

Registered
Reaction score
I like the bottom right. Definitely like the black better and I prefer the placement of the statue as well as the font in that last one.

This.

My personal nitpick: The "a vampire novella" in purple tends to blend with the black background it's on and my eyes kind of drift over it. Maybe change that line color to red or just put 'vampire' in red to give it a little more contrast?

ITFC_Rob

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with the bottom right, except I'd have your name in white. You want people to know who you are so they can become repeat customers :)

bowiefan1970

Registered
Reaction score
Bottom left- I don't think the "vampire novella" part on the bottom right one fits.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I like the top left one, except that I think your author's name should use the typeface it has on the bottom right cover. I think the red, although striking, distracts from the imagery. The black still has the implications of splattering but with tangled thorns and shadows implied as well, which goes well with the subject matter. Nice piece of photography, by the way.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I really like the bottom right one, I think the script writing is nice and well placed without being too overpowering, given that it's a subtitle. And I really prefer the black to the red.