PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy vs. US sense of humour.

janwyl
02-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Peter Allison is an Ozzy author that wrote a book called Don't Look Behind You. This extract from his blog made me laugh:

"One from the world of writing that is indicative of how certain cultures differ. Don't Look Behind You has two versions - one for Australia and New Zealand, the other for the rest of the world. This came about because of the way a deal was structured, better for me but it did mean that I underwent the editing process for it twice. When the US edit was being done (the one that would be global) an editor pointed out politely that I am apparently obsessed with my posterior and it had been mentioned three times thus far in the manuscript. When the Australian edit was being done an editor wrote in a margin 'chance for a bum joke here?'

Ah Australia, you make me so proud."

LunaFancy
02-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Ack! It's Aussie not Ozzy! :)

Ozzy is an irritating pink ostrich on an appalling variety show, that has been recently resurrected after a just and good death. *cringes*

That name can induce nightmares in Aussies you know. Memories of the eighties when the show was inflicted upon you by parental types who knew no better. *shudders*

Make it stop! Make it Stop!

*ahem*

But yes, we like our bum jokes. And an appreciation of a good bumming is respected across all socioeconomic strata in this country. Bums can be highly amusing in so very many ways.

Particularly their emissions.

Hilarity unleashed.:tongue

Chase
02-12-2011, 03:08 AM
When the US edit was being done (the one that would be global) an editor pointed out politely that I am apparently obsessed with my posterior and it had been mentioned three times thus far in the manuscript. When the Australian edit was being done an editor wrote in a margin 'chance for a bum joke here?'

Ah Australia, you make me so proud.

Hmmm. Two individual editors, with who knows what guidelines to work under. Not much call for national pride or put-downs.

janwyl
02-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Ack! It's Aussie not Ozzy! :)

Ozzy is an irritating pink ostrich on an appalling variety show, that has been recently resurrected after a just and good death. *cringes*

That name can induce nightmares in Aussies you know. Memories of the eighties when the show was inflicted upon you by parental types who knew no better. *shudders*

Make it stop! Make it Stop!

Sorry! When I lived there for five years I saw both ways of writing it. But maybe the ostrich was behind it.

Anyway shan't happen again :)

janwyl
02-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Hmmm. Two individual editors, with who knows what guidelines to work under. Not much call for national pride or put-downs.

Ah. I didn't read it as meaning to be either. Sorry if it offends. Will happily take it off...

Tallent
02-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Who the hell say's shan't?

"So, I'll put on my leather pants then?"
"No, Ozzy, you shan't."
"But Sharon, I look smashing in them. The fans love 'em. They make my bum look young."

veinglory
02-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Put downs? Liking butt jokes isn't a flaw, neither is not liking it. Personally I thought it was a funny anecdote with an element of truth to it.... Butts do seem to be considered 'ruder' over here (in the US).

Chase
02-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Put downs? Liking butt jokes isn't a flaw, neither is not liking it. Personally I thought it was a funny anecdote with an element of truth to it.... Butts do seem to be considered 'ruder' over here (in the US).

The flaw isn't in liking or not liking butt jokes. I don't consider any rude and most funny. The flaw is in basing a national tendency on two editors and what may be only their responses to policy: Ozzy vs. US sense of humour. It springs from national stereotypes and biases.

LunaFancy
02-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Butt (boom tish!) we do like bum jokes here.:)

The sheer number of arse references in our idiom is astounding. Arse wipe, arse licker, brown nose (from having your nose up another's ... you know what), Fart-arse around, and god knows how many more will come to me after I post this.

Aussies have an arse fixation. We're good with it.

So why the angst?

Scribly
02-12-2011, 05:43 AM
I spent a year living in Brisbane and discovered Canadian and Aussie sensibilities are quite well aligned on the topic of posteriors, bums, arses and other assorted cracks. I love Queenslanders and enjoy a good bum reference whenever possible and in any context!
Go Broncos!

Mr Flibble
02-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Aussies have an arse fixation. We're good with it.

All your examples are all alive and well in the UK too.
Arseholes to the lot of yer!

Drink! Feck! Arse!I love my brick!

backslashbaby
02-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Who doesn't love arse references, I wonder? Not as a putdown, of course. I'm genuinely interested in cultural differences that way :)

I secured an obscure book of old Muscogee oral stories, preparing to be taken to some spiritual ancestral plane or something... you know how it goes.

Fart jokes. Lots of fart jokes :ROFL:

STKlingaman
02-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Ozzy on TV?
had no idea,
er . . . that meaning so what
or who cares.

Wasn't he some kind of musician, in
one of those Rock & Roll bands before
the internet, twitter, cell phones,
color tv, walkmans, cd's, dvd's,
oprah, cable tv, night baseball in wrigley field,
jillin dollar sport contracts, etc....

Or do you mean Ozzy of Ozzy and Harriet?

Cliff Face
02-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Luna means "Ozzy The Ostrich" from an Australian evening show from way back (that's made a return recently) called "Hey, Hey, It's Saturday".

Strangely, when it made a comeback, it was not aired on a Saturday.

MissMacchiato
02-12-2011, 02:27 PM
NEVER Ozzy in Australia. Oz, yes. Ozzy, never.

Ozzy:

http://www.tvmem.com/OZST/tv/A-Z/H/HEYHEYIT/HEYLP01.jpg

Aussie:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1033538769455_2002/10/04/koala01,0.jpg

lol. I'm all for the feck-arsing and so on to continue, though! (isn't feck arse a great phrase?)

LunaFancy
02-12-2011, 02:31 PM
*spies that arsehole ostrich*
Arrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sending you the therapy bills MM!

And yeah - calling a show 'Hey Hey it's Saturday' then airing on a Wednesday speaks volumes about its quality.

All of it true, I might add.;)

MissMacchiato
02-12-2011, 02:42 PM
lol. Sorry Luna!

LunaFancy
02-12-2011, 04:31 PM
In retrospect - I think the greater part of the therapy sessions will be spent washing the image of Darrel Somer's hair from my memory.;)

Still your fault MM!:tongue

SaraP
02-13-2011, 05:40 AM
*sees the ostrich pic*

That looks scary. :scared:

LunaFancy
02-13-2011, 06:05 AM
You should hear it speak SaraP!

:chair

jaksen
02-13-2011, 05:34 PM
This is my current fav. thread.

And I don't understand half of it.

:)

Rufus Coppertop
02-14-2011, 04:55 AM
This is my current fav. thread.

And I don't understand half of it.

:)

Once upon a time we had a Saturday night show hosted by a bloke named Darryl Somers whose sidekick was a big pink puppet named Ozzy Ostrich. The whole thing was ad libbed and riddled with in-jokes that everyone was in on.

A bloke named Molly Meldrum, well known to be gay, would have a segment where he would promote some pop singer or other and explain to the youth of Australia that they should buy this CD because this singer is good.

At some point during Molly's inane ramblings there would be a reference from the voice over guy to Molly being gay. Then there would be a hwoor hwoor kind of laughter.

There was Red Faces - some bloke whose claim to fame is that he was once the bass player from the band Skyhooks would judge acts along with the guest for the night and someone else. The acts were terrible, the comments scathing.

Tattslotto - big turning barrel with little balls with numbers on them.

Chook - quintessentially Australian slang for chicken.

Put them together, you get .... wait for it ........... chooklotto. A giant turning thing with frozen chooks with numbers on them.

I could go on but it's best not to.

MissMacchiato
02-14-2011, 05:21 AM
it was not our finest hour.

*shudder*

LunaFancy
02-14-2011, 05:37 AM
I am currently PTSDing over here! :e2tongue:

*boxes at imaginary head on a stick that's shouting 'Mr Somers! Mr Somers!*

I will never the same again!:e2cry:

ElsaM
02-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Let's not forget that it started out as a Saturday morning show for children that somehow made it to prime time. And I never found the ostrich quite as annoying as Dickie Knee, the hat on a stick.

Wasn't chooklotto eventually replaced with Plucka Duck, involving an angry man dressed up as a duck who ran around giving everyone the finger?

Not my favourite show.

SaraP
02-14-2011, 06:12 AM
I'm loving this. :roll:

yoghurtelf
02-14-2011, 06:33 AM
I was a kid when this was in its heyday, and I have to say I never got into it. We didn't watch it really ;)

Rufus Coppertop
02-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Just before it's (thankfully) aborted rebirth, a mate of mine and fellow psych' nurse was all eager for it and got a bit huffy with me, saying "come on! It's one of our cultural icons and the bastards axed it!"

I promised faithfully not to tune in my telly just for that and the next time I saw him and asked what it was like his expression was - oh the horror! THE HORROOOORRRR!

SaraP
02-14-2011, 06:58 AM
:ROFL:

LunaFancy
02-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Yes yuk it up SaraP - you weren't scarred for life by being forced to watch it as a kid.:D

I was horrified by it's return to tv. One promo featuring that ostrich tipped me over the edge.

Now, in the interest of spreading my pain-I bring you... Youtube clips.
Mmuahahahahahaha! Now you shall know my suffering.

Dicki Knee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDxhog6qASw&feature=related

And that godawful pink thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKo-JL-TFIo&NR=1

Go on, you know you want to...

MissMacchiato
02-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Luna, you bring shame on our house *covers face in humilation*

LOL

poetinahat
02-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Please, no one bring up The Footy Show (either version - Melbourne's or the one for the rest of us). And when you don't, please don't explain why having a regular bit called "Crack a Fatty" was cause for extra lowbrow mirth.

SaraP
02-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Luna, I am very good at not clicking links on AW.

*glances sideways at Luna's post*

Not... clicking...

LunaFancy
02-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Please, no one bring up The Footy Show (either version - Melbourne's or the one for the rest of us). And when you don't, please don't explain why having a regular bit called "Crack a Fatty" was cause for extra lowbrow mirth.

ROFLMFAO!

OMG! I had so repressed that knowledge!

SaraP
02-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Say, what? :Wha: :roll:

poetinahat
02-14-2011, 07:39 AM
ROFLMFAO!

OMG! I had so repressed that knowledge!

Say, what? :Wha: :roll:
:D

I should say that I LOVE that Australians have enough of a cultural broadmindedness to allow this sort of cheese on TV.

MissMacchiato
02-14-2011, 07:42 AM
"cultural broadmindedness"

Hmm.. I'd call it something else :Wha:

LOL

LunaFancy
02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Remember the BMX Kangaroos?

*cringes*

yoghurtelf
02-14-2011, 12:13 PM
I'd call it "DUMBARSE SYNDROME", at least from the powers that be in television :P

Rufus Coppertop
02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
No one mention the "Glasshouse" either.

LunaFancy
02-14-2011, 03:34 PM
No one mention the "Glasshouse" either.

Oh Good Lord! Please, can we export Wil Anderson to ...well...anywhere?

Rufus Coppertop
02-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Is Wil Anderson that hideous guy with the nasal voice that somehow seems to have become a bit of an identity on .... the show about wankers dancing is it?

Rufus Coppertop
02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Shirley Purvis on the Big Gig was bloody hilarious, wasn't she? And Flakko was a genius.

yoghurtelf
02-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Shirley Purvis on the Big Gig was bloody hilarious, wasn't she? And Flakko was a genius.

Who what where?

this is what happens (perhaps) when I don't watch TV for years :D

Not sure I'm sad about it though ;)

*hugs her DVDs*

Rufus Coppertop
02-14-2011, 06:49 PM
The Big Gig was on in the late eighties.

Shirley Purvis was a bloke with a scarf around his head and a floral shirt like a dear old chook from the sixties. He did a wonderful, warbling falsetto.

Where Edna Everidge comes from Moonee Ponds, Shirley Purvis comes from Morwell or Dandenong.

Hapax Legomenon
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Americans are more into dick jokes than bum jokes.

Haggis
02-14-2011, 07:10 PM
But I was expecting this Ozzy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LvsnCS-oy8w/TQL5QkK0VKI/AAAAAAAAATQ/XWr4FLSbQTM/s1600/ozzy_osbourne.jpg

SaraP
02-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Nobody expects the Ozz--

Oh wait - wrong joke. :gone:

yoghurtelf
02-15-2011, 04:24 AM
I feel sorry for that rat. lol

MissMacchiato
02-15-2011, 04:28 AM
it's a cute little rat. I hope it wasn't harmed in the making of that photograph.

Cliff Face
02-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Y'know, I didn't even notice the rat until you mentioned it...

yoghurtelf
02-17-2011, 09:29 AM
It is a cute little rat indeed :P

screamingturnip
02-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Can Aussies still see butt cracks on television? As an American I kinda miss that. We have a show called COPS and it's just not the same without the butt cracks.

Also, has anyone thought of trying to force a mass migration of Kangaroos to Austria for the sole purpose of invalidating those bumper stickers?

edit: now my statements are back to their designed level of incoherency.

LunaFancy
02-26-2011, 07:08 AM
We can see whole bums on teev.

Are butt cracks considered offensive in oyur neck of the woods?

Whatever do the plumbers do...

screamingturnip
02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
We can see whole bums on teev.

Are butt cracks considered offensive in oyur neck of the woods?

Whatever do the plumbers do...
First off yes, yes they are. Hence mooning

The reason why we can't see asses on tv anymore is for fear of pubes, which no one is actually afraid but we must pretend to be prudish.

That's the thing with us we pretend to be prudish, except for black face. That's usually pretty damn real outrage. Odd line in the sand, but hey, least you can make middle passage jokes.... which makes it all the more odd.

Cliff Face
02-27-2011, 03:23 AM
Butt cracks just don't do it for me, but yes, we get them on TV over here.

Actually... I remember an episode of The Simpsons (an American show) that shows Homer's butt crack when someone drops a pencil down it. Was that released before the no-butt-crack law came into being, or is it different for cartoons?

screamingturnip
02-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Butt cracks just don't do it for me, but yes, we get them on TV over here.

Actually... I remember an episode of The Simpsons (an American show) that shows Homer's butt crack when someone drops a pencil down it. Was that released before the no-butt-crack law came into being, or is it different for cartoons?
I exaggerated because the phrase butt crack was funnier than butt. Anyways simpsons don't have pubes, no fear. However, butt cracks are becoming less and less common.

Why are pubes bad? For reasons that are completely arbitrary.

LunaFancy
02-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Prudishness is a foreign word over here. After 9pm pretty much anything goes on teev. Sexual references racial and cultural slurs, religious persecution, as long as it's meant to be funny all bets are off - god i love Good News Week lol!

Funnily enough, the govt. owned tv station usually has the most outrageous political satire. although the Chaser boys did push the envelope far enough to be axed in the end. Damned shame too, I hope they come back with another show soon.

Personally, I still think the childed have too much say in what we can watch. Put the brats to bed or turn the bloody tv off if you're so worried. I'm sick of people with kids having a say in what I have access to because they are shitty parents.

/rant