how do you choose one agent over the other?

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Assuming you should be lucky enough to have two agents interested, how do you decided which one to pick? Seems like a very basic question, but I haven't seen, and can't find, a decent answer.

Say both agents have a nice web site, maybe a good blog, some decent books in your style published. The commissions and stuff are competitive, right?

Do you base your decision on how much you like dealing with them on a personal level? Is it only about finding someone on the same wavelength?

I'd say there are at least 10-20 top agents in any given field that all seem competent and qualified. Probably more that just don't have the web site or blog established yet. So how would you make an intelligent choice?

I did find this article. Do others agree, anything to add?

http://alexisgrant.com/2009/09/28/peggy-frezon-offers-advice-on-choosing-a-literary-agent/

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Since I'm ultimately going to pitch a six-book series and a couple of standalones in the same universe, I want to know if the agent 1) likes my storylines, 2) has some reasonable ideas about how and where to market them, and 3) has a realistic exit strategy and timeline if my first books don't sell well or at all. I'll also want to know about digital and overseas rights, since those will help keep a potential backlist earning money.

Filigree

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Well, I'm not speaking from personal experience, but if I were in that situation, this is what I'd do.

First, as you said, compare sales. Next, get to know them a little. I'd want someone I clicked with, who wanted the same things out of our relationship. Next, compare contracts. Am I getting all the services I want? Am I uncomfortable with anything? Are the things I'm uncomfortable with negotiatable? Next, try and get in touch with some of their clients if possible. Are they happy? Did the agent shop their work in a way I agree with? What is their opinion of the agent's contract negotiation skills?

Just my feelings :)

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Forget their blog and website, I'd say -- what's important is the agent. What ideas do they have for your book and where to pitch it? How do you personally click with them -- do you feel comfortable talking to them, or would you be walking on eggshells the entire time? What are their agency terms? How are their response times on client materials? Are their current clients happy? How are their sales in your genre? What's their working style -- are they hands-on or hands-off as far as brainstorming and editing goes? How does that mesh with your style?

Once you have multiple offers and get a chance to talk to all the interested agents, you'll probably have a gut feeling about who's right for you. Assuming all the other stuff checks out -- follow that gut feeling.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
The commissions are usually standard at 15% and aren't competitive. Maybe in a rare case an agent would charge 20% for non-foreign rights.

I think if all things are equal, like you said with selling books in your genre and they are legitimate agents with a long history of being in business, your decision will probably weigh on what's said during their "offer" phone call.

Do you click with them? Do they "get" your book? What made them buy it? What can they offer you in terms of promotion (some agents are active on twitter and on blogs)? Are they interested in building your career? Do they rep other genres that you're writing? Are they looking to sell your book as a series?

You should ask them what their communication style is. Do they like frequent e-mails and updates or do they just want to hear from you when you have another manuscript?

There's a bunch of questions to ask agents. If you do a google search some good ones come up. You can decide what's important for you in representing and compare the agents' answers with that.

I hope this is a problem you get to have -- choosing between 2 qualified agents! Good luck.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I don't know about "major" authors (how major? Rowling, King, Meyer, et al are deluged with mail on a daily basis, so you wouldn't hear back in a timely fashion, if ever), but I've had success emailing authors to ask about their agents. I've usually read the book that the agent in question repped, so it's part fan mail, part business.

Doesn't hurt to try.

MikeGrant

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about "major" authors (how major? Rowling, King, Meyer, et al are deluged with mail on a daily basis, so you wouldn't hear back in a timely fashion, if ever), but I've had success emailing authors to ask about their agents. I've usually read the book that the agent in question repped, so it's part fan mail, part business.

Doesn't hurt to try.

In my experience, most authors will happily give their agent a reference if you ask them nicely.

Last edited:

lachrymal

Registered
Reaction score
When I was interviewing agents, I had a list of questions that I more or less stuck to, much like Rachelle's list. I talked to five agents on the phone, and ultimately it came down to a combination of factors--1) vision for my books, 2) submission strategy, and 3) how I felt when talking to them. Of course, sales in the genre were important, and because I had a few newer agents on the list, their web presence and connections (as in, who mentored them, what agency were they a part of) were other factors I considered.

DennyCrane

Dude. Seriously.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkrock.com
I recently had this "problem." Most of the decision comes down to what you can derive from that first phone conversation. Do you click? What is the agent's plan for your career? Do they have specific editors in mind? Will it be a wide or narrow submission? Are they hands on or hands off with the editing process?

Also, I totally internet stalked both candidates. Make an informed decision. Look into their history, their experience. Ultimately, for me, it came down to the latter. One agent had been in the agency game several years and was very well thought of, but she was still young enough to be hungry. The other was new to being an agent but had been a YA edior for over a decade. I went with the latter, the former editor. His experience combined with his wide connection to other editors, and also an amazing edit on a revise and resubmint, left me convinced he was the guy.

It's difficult, definitely. You have little time, and really, very little to weigh. A lot comes down to what your gut tells you. But if it's rumbling, you probably just need to eat something.

Last edited:

lilacat

Registered
Reaction score
Is your possible agent easy for you to talk to? don't just think about "big" sales, for ex. You want to be a person in the transactions, not just a potential sale.