Steampunk Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

FictionChick

Probably writing
Registered
Reaction score
I need an idea for a non-lethal Steampunk weapon. Something that could have been invented in the late 1800s. The mechanisms have to be *somewhat* realistic.

Can anyone help me? :)

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I think a taser would be reasonable, and you get bonus points for actually calling it "Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle." Very steampunk, I think.

FictionChick

Probably writing
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooooh! Cool ideas, guys! I was wondering if stun grenades would have been realistic?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I vaguely recall that one variant on the medieval crossbow bolt used a large flat lump rather than a point -- the object was to be a non-lethal weapon for crowd-control, but with enough punch to put the target out of action. Essentially the pre-gunpowder equivalent of rubber bullets.

Now, it occurs to me that in a steampunk world, there might be a variation that delivers a serious static shock, so you wind up with what amounts to a taser. How you retain the static on the bolt as it's delivered is your problem. :)

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Ooooooh! Cool ideas, guys! I was wondering if stun grenades would have been realistic?

Flash-bang grenades have been around as long as gunpowder. But you could also use something like tear-gas (straight ammonia would do) in glass bottles that break on impact... of course you'd have the side effect of people getting cut up. That's the sort of thing that can illustrate how concerned the cops (or whoever) are about injuring the target -- with a glass grenade, not at all, serves 'em right.

FictionChick

Probably writing
Registered
Reaction score
You guys ROCK. Seriously. I wish I'd found this place while writing my first novel.

What about a chemical weapon? Also non-lethal?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Well, if you just want to incapacitate or drive people out of the area, an ammonia bomb or smoke bomb would be easy enough -- the main problem, I think, would be getting it to vomit forth its payload reliably. (Which could be a useful story point at times.)

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
The trouble with chloroform is that without controlled dosages, it's easy to wind up with some dead people and a bunch who didn't inhale enough to have any effects. Movies aside, it's not fast-acting. Plus it's known to cause birth defects. And it's explosive. And unless stabilized, it degrades to phosgene (think rat poison). I think it's the sort of thing such a tech-level, desiring non-lethal crowd-control, might experiment with a few times, then discard as being too randomly hazardous.

I'm reminded that chemistry students are a suicidal lot... at my university, we thought the way you "air conditioned" yourself in the Chem lab was to dump a bottle of acetone over your head. Stores never did figure out why we used so much acetone during the summer. :D

unruley700

save us from sleep and what we are
Registered
Reaction score
What about electric nunchucks?

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
Already some awesome ideas on here, but I'll give you a couple more. All of these are real weapons that can easily be steampunked.

Pepper spray/balls/bombs
Airfoil gun (shoots a rubber/leather ring that does impact damage)
Rubber bullets
Beanbag gun
Heat ray gun
Rocksalt
Impact Taser (works like a taser, but the charge is administered by a projectile)
Equilibrium-disrupting strobe weapon

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What about a crowd control gun that has a little oven in the back where you load coal, and when you pull the trigger it sprays out hot steam.

okay, okay. I'm moving on

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
What about a crowd control gun that has a little oven in the back where you load coal, and when you pull the trigger it sprays out hot steam.

LOL!! Oooh, the image... coal-fired steam gun... <cackle>

Can you imagine lugging that thing around on your back, not to mention the padding to keep the firebox and boiler from burning your butt?? "Everybody run -- here come the king's dragons, with their tails on fire again!!"

Actually... I used to heat my trailer with a coal stove. Sometimes the coal fire would get out of hand... and to throttle it down in a hurry, I'd dump a pitcher of water onto the fire... producing the most appalling cloud of steam and ash.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Can you imagine lugging that thing around on your back, not to mention the padding to keep the firebox and boiler from burning your butt?? "Everybody run -- here come the king's dragons, with their tails on fire again!!"

*disclaimer* until we iron out all the bugs Its recommended you operate the boiler gun with oven mitts

Actually... I used to heat my trailer with a coal stove. Sometimes the coal fire would get out of hand... and to throttle it down in a hurry, I'd dump a pitcher of water onto the fire... producing the most appalling cloud of steam and ash.

lol hey fictionchick can you use Reziacs stove?

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
How about a subsonic disruptor? It's basically a 10-Hz steam whistle with a parabolic reflector that you point at someone whose chest and guts you want to pound into a jelly. It would be non-lethal and incapacitating with just a couple seconds of exposure, but its disadvantage is that it can be used on only one person at a time, making crowd control more problematic.

FictionChick

Probably writing
Registered
Reaction score
How do you guys come up with this stuff? It's great! There are a lot of ideas for me to work through now. :D

*disclaimer* until we iron out all the bugs Its recommended you operate the boiler gun with oven mitts

lol hey fictionchick can you use Reziacs stove?

I like the idea of wearing the boiler gun with butt padding and oven mitts. It would take the enemy a few seconds to figure out what they were looking at, and that alone is a non-lethal weapon. :D

Konah

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I have spent the past forty-five minutes looking up info about the Leyden Jar and various steampunk weapons. I've never read a steampunk novel, but this is definitely sparking my interest in the genre :D

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
LOL!! Oooh, the image... coal-fired steam gun... <cackle>

Well, I would assume it would be loaded on a paddy-wagon.

bladestalker

Registered
Reaction score
What about a lightening gun using Nicoli Tesla's tesla coil deathray weapon concept. It could have two settings, stun and kill. Plug it into your vehicle's flywheel generator to recharge it's capacitor and you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.