TL;DR The "Survivor auction as it relates to retirement planning" edition

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Probably most of you have too much self respect to be familiar with the T.V. show Survivor. It's a U.S. game show where they stick a bunch of people in tropical location and (among other things) starve them for 39 days. About three weeks in, they usually do this thing called the Survivor Auction. They give each of the contestants something like $500 and offer up a limited number of food and/or luxury items to bid on. Video here, if you're curious.

What ends up happening is that you see people paying $400 for a cheeseburger and fries, or sometimes $350 for a can of Pringles (or whoever the sponsor is that season). The contestants, who've existed for 3 weeks on a below subsistence diet, are pantingly eager to shell out crazy dollars for some marginally edible snack food. When the prize is delivered into their possession, they snarf it up like a starving dog and make orgasm noises while they do it. Advertisers love it.

All of these contestants are regular U.S. citizens. If you came up to them in their regular life and offered to sell them a can of Pringles for $350 they would no doubt laugh at you. But in the context of the Survivor auction it made sense. There were only a limited number of items to bit on, and it did them no good to just hold on to the cash.

It occurred to me that this is a tidy illustration of something going on in the stock market that I think will probably affect us all to a greater or lesser degree. Bear with me.

Background
The 401(K) plan is something most U.S. citizens are familiar with. It offers workers the option of contributing a portion of their pre-tax income to a personal retirement plan. The worker saves on their current year's tax bill because, as far as the I.R.S. is concerned, the money sent to a 401(K) plan doesn't exist. The worker benefits by having that money grow tax free until they retire. The government benefits because in 40 years or so they get to tax whatever amount the money grew to. Companies benefit because, if they offer 401(k) plans, they don't have to fund pension plans.

401(k) plans didn't exist until 1980. They caught on in a big way around 1986 or so. These days they've almost completely replaced traditional pension plans.

All of that is fine, but it's crossed my mind that there may be a hidden time bomb in the 401(k) system. Virtually all 401(k) plans invest in the stock market, either through the purchase of individual stocks or through shares in mutual funds.

My actual point:
This resulted in more money being in the stock market. Eventually it was a LOT more money--half of America was using a couple hundred bucks out of every paycheck to buy stock. The thing is, there weren't any more companies available to buy shares of. Also, the companies people were bidding on weren't magically worth more just because people were willing to pay more for them. So, just like the Survivor auction where the guy is willing to pay $400 for a cheeseburger because he's got to buy something, starting about 1986 you saw prices for stocks start rising to price levels that would previously have been considered crazy.

In the stock market, 'crazy price level' is sort of a tough term to define. Company prices rise and fall according to news reports, data, quarterly reports, outright lies, and luck. It's hard to sort through all that and get a truly objective number for what a particular stock is worth at a particular time. But there is one number that I think serves about as well as any (which isn't saying much) as a measure of a company's worth. It's a thing called the price to earnings (P/E) ratio.

Price to Earnings (P/E) is the number you get when you divide the price of a single share of stock by the amount of money that share earned over the last 12 months. So, like, as of about 5 minutes ago the price of Apple computer was $354.54 per share. Each share earned $17.92 over the last 12 months. $354.54 / 17.92 = a P/E ratio of 19.78.

Apple's current P/E is actually not too bad. Historically, a good P/E ratio was something in the 12 to 15 range. During the height of the dot-com boom, you often saw P/E ratios that were in the 50s. Frequently, the P/E ratios of dot-coms were effectively infinite--because the company being sold for $400/share (or whatever) HAD no earnings, you had to divide that $400 by 0. You do the math.

Here's a chart of the P/E ratios over time. Note that this is the P/E ratio of the DOW. The DOW is an index of companies that usually have at least some sort of actual value (as opposed to dot-coms/IPOs). I couldn't find a chart of the market as a whole, but I'm pretty sure it would be a lot worse.

thumb-PEratio_01.jpg

Normalized P/E ratings of the DOW, 1935-2006 (from seeking alpha)

Anyway, this I'm a little worried about. Some of it is just normal boom/bust oscillation. But you see the way the P/E ratios shot up like a rocket around 1986? That was when all the 401(k) money started flooding into the market. Conceivably this is a coincidence, but I have my doubts. Since about 1986, people have been paying prices for stocks that are WAY out of line with historical norms. In some ways, this seemed great. If you had significant stock holdings in 1980 and died last year, it was great. People were, essentially, beating down your door to pay $400 for a cheeseburger you bought in 1980 for $2.

Here's the problem, though. Most people retire around age 65 and, consequently, start withdrawing money from their 401(k) plan. By law, everyone has to start withdrawing at age 70-and-a-half. In 2010, the baby boomers start turning 65. Most of them will start taking their money out of the market soon, if they haven't already. By 2015, all the boomers will effectively be required by law to start selling stock.

In the same way that that vast inrush of cash boosted prices in 1986, I expect that the coming vast outflow of cash will drive prices down.

My thinking is that this will suck in a lot of ways. I don't see that much can be done about it at a national level. On a personal level, I'm thinking of either going short in a big way or maybe looking into real estate.

Any thoughts/suggestions/rebuttals?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another factor: some (many) of those with 401(K)s have been laid off the past couple of years. Once they are 59 1/2 they can start drawing on it without penalty (other than paying the necessary tax). Some who aren't old enough are taking distributions any way (and paying a 10% penalty) because they have no other funds to live on.

If you could invest in real estate inside the 401, it might be a good idea. But you can't. There are really nice homes going for a pittance here in AZ.

If you are no longer an employee of the sponsoring company, there is a way to get your money into real estate. Consult your tax adviser and financial adviser. ;)

MM

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Survivor always reminded me of highschoolers in scraps of cloths and spears. Lots of sweet frontal talking and smoozing and manipulation followed by lots of backstabbing and shadow alliances until the most cunning (not the actual best survivor) wins the jackpot by stabbing everyone in the back.

Not sure how that relates to retirement, ooo, survival auctions...I never could watch that far into a season. Anyway, your correlation sounds interesting, but I can't go any deeper than that because me and my whole family are fighting strep so my mind isn't able to focus that well right now. If it magically clarifies in my head what you're trying to say I'll come back and comment better.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Another factor: some (many) of those with 401(K)s have been laid off the past couple of years. Once they are 59 1/2 they can start drawing on it without penalty (other than paying the necessary tax). Some who aren't old enough are taking distributions any way (and paying a 10% penalty) because they have no other funds to live on.

Good point, and probably also a factor. Somebody probably knows how to model all this stuff in a useful way, but I am not that someone. It seems like even people who do the modeling as a day job and have actual job experience tend to screw up pretty badly.

Honestly, I'm stumped. Down seems like a good bet but <shrug> I'm basically just guessing.

Survivor always reminded me of highschoolers in scraps of cloths and spears. Lots of sweet frontal talking and smoozing and manipulation followed by lots of backstabbing and shadow alliances until the most cunning (not the actual best survivor) wins the jackpot by stabbing everyone in the back.

That's kind of my take on it as well. Actually, that's why I love it. It's corporate america in a nutshell. I think it's very instructive.

Same here. That's why I love the show. Great for character studies if nothing else.

Indeed. Survivor: Redemption Island ('redemption island?!?!?' really?) starts in a week. I sincerely cannot wait. It's the best show EVAR.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
As the following probably indicates, I barely know enough about finance to be dangerous, but ... who controls the average 401k plan? As I recall (last I was employed and had this problem), most employees offer one to maybe a dozen plans, and you get to pick one, and each one tends to be various mixes of stocks and/or bonds (which are also less than totally safe in these trying economic times). Can you put your 401k into something "really" safe like CD's?

I'm reminded of this story - it's a Fresh Air interview with the author of "The Big Short," a book about people who saw the mortgage/financial crisis coming, invested in it by selling short in the involved funds and companies, and ended up making huge amounts of money by doing so. I haven't read the book but the interview is interesting enough:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124690424

What are the population figures of those retiring? Obviously there are a lot of baby boomers, but it's the trend of how many retire each year over the next few decades that you'd probably want, as this would give an indication of how much money would be flowing out of the stock market over that time.

I know you can invest in the DOW or in a "whole stock market" index find, but is is possible to sell short on those? This would of course be a long-term 5 to 25 year thing... as far as personal investment, and to a gross approximation, what you'd lose in a 401k you'd make up in selling the stock market short.

ETA: As you might tell, I'm thinking in terms of an individual investor, not in terms of what's going to happen to many people in general if/when the stock market tanks big-time.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about all the plans, but in 2007 I checked to see if there were any short or contrary options offered through mine, and there wasn't a thing. I know a few other people who found the same thing. Apparently if you don't want to bet with the crowd, you're screwed. There wasn't even an international fund eligible.

I was lucky enough to have a decent bond fund option, which at least kept me from disaster. My brother-in-law didn't even have an option that good. The "solid" option he was offered was in a bunch of financial crap. :rolleyes: He ended up spreading it across all his options in hopes that would work, and it at least ended up better off than with the "solid" option.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you can invest in the DOW or in a "whole stock market" index find, but is is possible to sell short on those? This would of course be a long-term 5 to 25 year thing... as far as personal investment, and to a gross approximation, what you'd lose in a 401k you'd make up in selling the stock market short.

ETA: As you might tell, I'm thinking in terms of an individual investor, not in terms of what's going to happen to many people in general if/when the stock market tanks big-time.

There are "things" (technical term, I can't remember what they are called) which trade like stocks that mirror the stock market. One that trades as "DIA" is the Dow, "QQQ" is the Nasdaq, and there is one for the S & P also. The S & P one is referred to as 'spider', I can't remember the symbol. I would imagine you could short those. I don't think you can on mutual funds.

I think it would depend on the 401 managers whether or not you could have part of the money in CDs. But most, if not all, have a money market fund option for accumulating little bits into bigger bits.

MM

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
There are "things" (technical term, I can't remember what they are called) which trade like stocks that mirror the stock market. One that trades as "DIA" is the Dow, "QQQ" is the Nasdaq, and there is one for the S & P also. The S & P one is referred to as 'spider', I can't remember the symbol. I would imagine you could short those. I don't think you can on mutual funds.

I think it would depend on the 401 managers whether or not you could have part of the money in CDs. But most, if not all, have a money market fund option for accumulating little bits into bigger bits.

MM

I'm a little rusty on all this but, ETFs (exchange traded funds) is the name.
They have inverse ETFs that a person can purchase. 1X inverse, 2X inverse, and 3X inverse. If you think your market will go down, just buy the inverse ETF, and go for a ride.
An example for the DOW
Ticker DOG = 1X short
DXD = 2X short
I don't remember the 3X short for the DOW off the top of my head.
But they have close to 50 of these for different markets.

There's also 1x, 2x, 3x ETFs for markets on the long side.

401k usually have restrictions on shorting, and ETF purchase. (Remember a 401k manager has pre-set deals worked out with large fund houses). It's against the managers best interest to offer too many choices. It's a percentage game.

An IRA, or Roth IRA has many more options and choices. With those, a person can purchase an inverse ETF to short the market.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
The Roth IRA is the way to go and will help alleviate the problem caused by mandatory withdrawals from Traditional IRA's.
Roth's are funded with after-tax dollars and when money is withdrawn there are zero taxes. And you can leave the money there forever without penalty - no mandatory withdrawals.
Even better (if you can afford it) you can convert a Traditional IRA into a Roth IRA - but have to pay income taxes on the amount you convert.
As usual "consult your tax professional" before doing anything.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I think you can sell an ETF short, but not an index mutual fund. The first is traded like a corporate stock and the other is a basket of stocks.

This is one reason why Hedge Funds were devised - an investment that was supposed to go up when the overall market went down. Something happened on the way to the bank, I think.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you can sell an ETF short, but not an index mutual fund. The first is traded like a corporate stock and the other is a basket of stocks.

True. But to sell short, one needs to have a "margin" account. To buy an inverse ETF, one only needs a regular account. (Easier paper work,)