Approaching experts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
I want to approach a bunch of experts in the field for various subjects. (professors, etc.) Is there a tactic to get them to respond, but not scare them away when you're collecting facts for a fiction book? Or should I say techniques. Anyone have success approaching experts cold?

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a traditionalist: I hide in bushes along their normal routes, wait for them to walk by, then go with the ole burlap sack over the head.

Assuming that's too labor intensive for you, you need to decide if you're just asking nicely or are planning on compensating them in some way. It doesn't ever hurt to ask, but in my experience if you want more than a sentence's worth of answer you'll either need something to barter (including potential exposure) or something to bridge the gap for you (friend of a friend, taking their class, etc.).

Just cold-calling a pro and saying, "hey, I'm writing a novel, can you spare me a few hours of your time" likely isn't going to get you very far.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
Just cold-calling a pro and saying, "hey, I'm writing a novel, can you spare me a few hours of your time" likely isn't going to get you very far.

That's actually one of the better ways to go about doing it, really.

"Hello, my name is such-and-so, and I'm a novelist. I'm writing a book on <field of interest> and I was given your name/researched the field/whatever as an expert. May I ask you some questions related to <specific questions>?"

And so forth. Be professional and polite and you'll likely be good to go. If picking up the phone terrifies you, send an email or letter via regular mail. Be as specific as possible; don't waste their time asking general questions.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Just say you're a writer doing research for a project. If they ask, you can elaborate. Be polite, show up on time, look professional, etc.

If picking up the phone scares you, then you'll probably have a rough go of it doing the actual interview. Gird your loins and get in there.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
That's actually one of the better ways to go about doing it, really.

"Hello, my name is such-and-so, and I'm a novelist. I'm writing a book on <field of interest> and I was given your name/researched the field/whatever as an expert. May I ask you some questions related to <specific questions>?"

And so forth. Be professional and polite and you'll likely be good to go. If picking up the phone terrifies you, send an email or letter via regular mail. Be as specific as possible; don't waste their time asking general questions.

That's correct.

There are actually very few experts who will simply blow you off if you're just doing research. (The ones that do are often in entertainment...)

If you're trying to get a professor and you feel a little shy, you can try to approach them through the university's alumni organization (if you're an alum) or their media/public relations/outreach/press office (if you're not).

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
rachel,

one thought would be to pick a guy or three in your field(s) who blog, for example--they obviously enjoy communicating what they do, and when you do approach, you can mention seeing their blog, so it sounds less like "Hi, my name is Rachel, and I'm a crazy bunny-boiler who found your name on the internet; I wanted to ask you a bit about your work, how loudly you can scream, and if you've ever been duct-taped to a chair before and/or buried alive," if that's what you are afraid of feeling like.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't dealt with any in person, but when emailing (through the 'contact me' button on websites ;)) I've been upfront about who I am and what I'm doing. I also let them know right away if I'm looking at a few (quickly answerable) questions or if it's going to be a more detailed (lengthy) query. I've only had one turn-down, and even then, they referred me to another resource. Of course, these were people who 'invited' questions via that contact button - if 'cold-calling', I'd also want to make sure I wasn't going to Einstein for basic math questions (ie, make sure your query is appropriate to their level of expertise).

KQ800

Registered
Reaction score
I work for a Research Agency in Europe. Being the de facto contact person for a little group at my job I have the following advice:

a) Google. for the love of GOD google! Often reporters or students call me with a question that could be answered within thirty seconds but they have not done any preparatory research.

b) Give context. I know writers feel protective of their stories, but what you think is a perfectly clear query can be amazingly complex to a nerd of sufficient magnitude.

c) Describe end results. "THIS and THIS has to happen, what might cause it?"

d) In a research or university setting, offering to come over with some cake for the break room can get you VIP treatment very quickly. A home baked cake can get you lab access and possibly phone numbers so that grad students can be reached at night.

e) Most academics love to talk about their stuff. If you say that you want to portray them accurately in a book or play they will give you lists of relevant (for them) material and possibly offer to proof read your stuff.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Act like a professional. Be on time for your meeting. Be well dressed. Have a pen and paper or better yet, a tape recorder. Have your questions written out and well researched. Learn as much as you can o the topic so you're not expecting your interviewee to do your work. Make sure you ask open ended, rather than yes/no questions and have follow-up questions in mind. When you make your appointments, figure out how much time you will need and stick to it. Show the respect about the time they are giving you.

Good luck.

Orion11Bravo

Registered
Reaction score
found your name on the internet; I wanted to ask you a bit about your work, how loudly you can scream, and if you've ever been duct-taped to a chair before and/or buried alive," if that's what you are afraid of feeling like.

This was actually very similar to how I proposed to my wife.

Have you tried this forum first? There seems to be people of all walks of life. I'm a HS teacher and I was in Iraqi Freedom and I would talk people's ear off on either of those things, if they'd let me. Personally, I'd be flattered if someone tapped me for research...not everyone wants to talk about work, though, especially to someone who comes off as even less than clueless. For example, when someone asks me, "So what's the difference between the Army and the Military" I typically just smile and nod and tell them I have no idea.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
This was actually very similar to how I proposed to my wife.

Have you tried this forum first? There seems to be people of all walks of life. I'm a HS teacher and I was in Iraqi Freedom and I would talk people's ear off on either of those things, if they'd let me. Personally, I'd be flattered if someone tapped me for research...not everyone wants to talk about work, though, especially to someone who comes off as even less than clueless. For example, when someone asks me, "So what's the difference between the Army and the Military" I typically just smile and nod and tell them I have no idea.

complete aside, but the first time I did anything with mine, we met after work in the parking lot and I duct-taped her to prove you can immobilize a person with a few loops....then put her in a shopping cart and raced across the parking lot until she screamed loud enough i was afraid she'd draw police attention, then I took her back and pretended I was going to sut her in the trunk.

we were in high school.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
re-rail, i WILL second google; there's damn few things you can't find out over the net in this day and age. And while you may want someone to actually explain the technical bits, you'll do much better if you approach a virologist knowing what a retrovirus is and who Gallo was than coming to him starting out about how you had to do a report in eighth grade on Tb (which isn't even a virus to begin with)....

everyone's time is valuable, if you look like you've done your homework they're less likely to feel you've wasted theirs.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto on doing some homework before seeking help from experts. Like surviving optional surgery, check out the expert's bona fides in the field, and a second or third opinion never hurts. Real experts won't mind, as real experts know they don't know it all and are happy to learn.

I can only speak for one much maligned small arms "expert" and long-suffering grammar teacher. Save your snide comments about gun nuts and grammar Nazis. They're kind of like the another N-word, in that snide joking among our own often isn't well-received in other settings.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Hi, Rachel,

I called a professor once and asked him if I could speak with him about a project I was working on. He not only helped me with the project, he also let me sit in on his classes for a whole quarter. I've found most people to be very willing to help when you tell them you are working on a book.

Good luck!

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
I guess I approached the wrong people, then. It might also be because my subjects are obscure. (Old Korean, Old Chinese, Kushan Empire beyond the Silk Road. Old Shinto views towards homosexuality and sex (Before Buddhism). Mudang practices during the Three Kingdoms period in Korea).

Not well-studied areas... due to the general lack of information. (Even less resources in English.)

I'll keep giving it a shot.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
complete aside, but the first time I did anything with mine, we met after work in the parking lot and I duct-taped her to prove you can immobilize a person with a few loops....then put her in a shopping cart and raced across the parking lot until she screamed loud enough i was afraid she'd draw police attention, then I took her back and pretended I was going to sut her in the trunk.

we were in high school.

... and she still became your wife??? wow, you must be somethin' goooood !!! ... or maybe you cook really really well and do laundries and keep the house sparkly clean? :D

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Rachel, I've had to do a lot of cold-calling professors and only had positive experiences. Some made it clear they didn't have time to answer lots of questions, but most were amazingly thoughtful wknd quick in their responses. I think someone showing an interest in their field of study is intrinsically rewarding (plus the fact of being recognized as an expert). So, maybe it is that you haven't found the right person specializing in the subject you need. Keep trying and good luck!

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
I'll second KQ800's, and others comments, especially the part about doing your homework first.

For example, fellow wanted my help writing a grant proposal for a business he wanted to start, but after just a little bit of chatting, it was clear that he didn't even have a business plan. Only an idea. And he was trying to get a grant based upon an idea, not a plan. I wouldn't have minded chatting with him more about the grant proposal, but instead steered the conversation in the direction he really needed to start, which was nailing down the business plan. If I helped him at all, perhaps I helped him see the many things that he did not yet know, and where to find those answers.

In still other areas I've been asked for my input, and as long as the one asking is at least moderately prepared, the experience is much more enjoyable because the conversation is then 2-way as opposed to 1-way (as in the first example).

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
... and she still became your wife??? wow, you must be somethin' goooood !!! ... or maybe you cook really really well and do laundries and keep the house sparkly clean? :D

I don't clean much, but I cook extremely well....and make wine. Making spaghetti sauce all afternoon in fact, and spending the evening starting an icewine kit and some blackberry wine, if time permits.

At the time though, we were just dumb kids, acting dumb. Less "game" on my part than luck.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I guess I approached the wrong people, then. It might also be because my subjects are obscure. (Old Korean, Old Chinese, Kushan Empire beyond the Silk Road. Old Shinto views towards homosexuality and sex (Before Buddhism). Mudang practices during the Three Kingdoms period in Korea).

Not well-studied areas... due to the general lack of information. (Even less resources in English.)

I'll keep giving it a shot.

damn...you are ggoing esoteric.

find as many professors as you can at different colleges who teach on things like early Asian studies, etc.....and start trying to see what they have published....you probably have a long slog because of the narrowness of your focus.

Good luck,
Quick

Status
Not open for further replies.