Best and Worst Valentine's Day Gifts

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
This is from last year, but it got me thinking.

What's the worst V-day gift you've received?

The best?

I don't think I've ever really celebrated V-day to any great extent. My husband gets me great Christmas and Birthday gifts, but he does the flowers and a card thing on Valentines, which works for me.

Oooh...I do remember in college, I was dating this guy who slept with my "best" friend on Valentine's Day. I'd almost forgotten! I wasn't destroyed though.

The best, much as I hate to admit it, was probably from my exhusband. The first year we were married, he bought me this really expensive perfume I'd been pining for and a gift card to Victoria's Secret.

Your turn!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last year my hubby got me a box of See's. I just require two a year. I always tell him and have been telling him for 15 years, "I like the ASSorted box". Not hard. Last year he came home with "soft centers". I tried to be gracious but I just couldn't contain it. I said, "what am I 90?" It just so happened that I covered my bases and bought him a box of "ASSorted" and traded him. He agreed with me about the "soft center" See's. Bla!

This year I gave him a great reminder. I told him when he buys my box of See's this year he just needs to remember the first three letters of his first name when he buys me the box of "ASSorted" candy. He can remember that.

So glad he laughed. I thought I was going to get no See's this year.

PS. I don't like my boxes of candy hand picked either. I only like the box of Assorted! For Mother's Day I got a box of hand picked. I got 6 of the same thing three different times.

ASSORTED!

Okay, I'm done.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
Luckily, I don't think I've ever recieved a bad Valentine's Day gift. The best, however, was from a guy who asked me out by handing me a single red rose and a poem he had written for me on a piece of slightly charred parchment. He did it in front of all our friends and I was absolutely flabbergasted. I still have the poem and one of the rose petals in a 'keepsake' box. :)

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Worse V-Days gift: the thigh master.

Best V-Days gift: a teddy bear, with his class ring on a necklace

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Luckily, I don't think I've ever recieved a bad Valentine's Day gift. The best, however, was from a guy who asked me out by handing me a single red rose and a poem he had written for me on a piece of slightly charred parchment. He did it in front of all our friends and I was absolutely flabbergasted. I still have the poem and one of the rose petals in a 'keepsake' box. :)

That's awesome! How romantic!!! My husband is not romantic at all, but I'm happy getting my flowers and a dinner at a really nice sushi place. :)

Worse V-Days gift: the thigh master.

I'm sorry...I laughed...but that's awful! The message it implies...

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember any vday gifts I've received. I'm a horrible person.

HOWEVER, since I love giving gifts, I'd say the best one I gave was a personalize Rubix Cube. I bought one, took it out of the package, peeled off the stickers and replaced them with tiny pictures of us and put it back in the package.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

HOWEVER, since I love giving gifts, I'd say the best one I gave was a personalize Rubix Cube. I bought one, took it out of the package, peeled off the stickers and replaced them with tiny pictures of us and put it back in the package.

Wow. That is such a cute idea!

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com

That is such a cute idea!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a cast iron bacon press I was thinking of giving to someone for either her birthday or Valentine's Day . . . until she reminded me that she would then have a heavy, blunt object in her hand, and that my head would be within target range.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
the best - my ex knew I used to moderate a makeup forum, and I love buying new products and playing with them, so he called a close friend for advice on what I wouldn't have, then he went to the MAC counter all by himself and bought a few things from a collection that had only just come out, so he'd know for sure I wouldn't have it.

What a sweetheart.

Worst...?

i think some have actually forgotten the day altogether. And I'm the type be upfront and say, "How much would you like to spend for V. Day?" so that no one is disappointed (I should point out that if they'd said "nothing" at that point, then at least we would have agreed that nothing was okay)

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
Wow. That is such a cute idea!
Not to mention a feat of dedication! Wow!

As far as I can recall, I've never received a Valentine's Day present. If I did receive something, it would've been from a student in Japan. This would explain why I don't remember it, because they gave me gifts every day! :p

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've only ever had a partner on V-Day once. (And never on my birthday...)

The relationship was obviously all about sex, so I got her some red panties attached to a stem to look like a long-stem rose.

She got me sex.

*shrug* I'm obviously an old romantic...

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I've only ever had a partner on V-Day once. (And never on my birthday...)

The relationship was obviously all about sex, so I got her some red panties attached to a stem to look like a long-stem rose.

She got me sex.

*shrug* I'm obviously an old romantic...

There's something to be said about good-old sex.

But since my husband and I do the horizontal tango nearly every day, it wouldn't make Valentine's any different.

I'd buy lingerie, but...my husband could care less about that. He just wants me naked.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Best V-Days gift: a teddy bear, with his class ring on a necklace
Awwww!

what a cute idea!
Hey!

the best - my ex knew I used to moderate a makeup forum, and I love buying new products and playing with them, so he called a close friend for advice on what I wouldn't have, then he went to the MAC counter all by himself and bought a few things from a collection that had only just come out, so he'd know for sure I wouldn't have it.

What a sweetheart.
Awwwww!

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
About two years ago an old flame of mine gave me a giant bag of those heart shaped candies that taste like chalk and I just grinned and took 'em even though I so badly wanted to throw them out the window.

The best would probably have to be last year when my (now ex-boyfriend) got me 100 red and white roses delivered to me and some diamond earrings.

What happened to those diamond earrings? They have magically turned into $300 that now sits in my purse. :evil