Police Detective Stuff

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
my novel has a character who is a police detective and I know basically nil about this job and her chain of command. I'm not planning on going into great detail and realize that some of what i am doing with her is probably borderline unrealistic, which I am okay with. The story is a paranormal mystery and it can be a little bit of a stretch.

I would like to make it as believable to most laymen as possible and back some of it up in fact!

Gist of story: She was married to a fellow cop whom she divorced for cheating on her with someone (perhaps in the station perhaps out, not clear on this yet) and drinking too much. He's recently been promoted and is now her boss. He's very popular in the precinct, although she's got a couple allies, and she isn't the best detective in the world.

His brother is pretty shady, which he is aware of, and deals drugs, which he kind of suspects but doesn't really know. When his brother's corpse turns up, he wants to find out whodunnit, but suspects it's probably got something to do with some kind of underbelly crime thing he wants to keep under the rug.

Brother's car is missing, so he calls in lady cop to check out crime scene and to see if she can trace the car, report to HIM ONLY, and maybe find the killer while keeping the crime hush.

QUESTIONS:

What sort of rank might I give to male cop?

What sort of address might I give to female cop?

What kind of department is feasible that they work in? Homicide, or could they be somewhere else and he is just trying to do something sneaky?

This crosses State lines, which normally would involve FBI, right? Would she be concerned about that?

I appreciate all the help. I am not looking for 100% perfection, like I said. This is one aspect to a very involved story, and none of these are my MC. I'd like to include what I can to be accurate, but I realize this probably would not occur in real life. The man does think it is something in city when he first asks her to look into it.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to look up the Howdunit series. One title in this series is on Police Procedure.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
What city, or what size city are you talking about? This will control the structure of the PD.
If your detective isn't very sharp, she won't be assigned to homicide. She'll probably be assigned to property crimes, or auto theft.
Most departments would separate spouses and definitely ex-spouses. Especially if one supervised the other. Her Ex would have to be the chief or deputy chief of police in order to be in a superior position over her and remain on the department. Anything lower and one of them would be transferred. I suppose you could stretch it and make her Ex the chief of detectives, as long as there are other supervisors between her and him.

Not quite sure what you mean by address. If you mean how you address her, it would be Detective Smith. If you're referring to what kind of home she'd have, she'd earn about $50K/year + overtime, adjusted upward for COLA in NYC or LA. So whatever that would buy.

When crimes cross State lines, they MAY become Federal crimes, sometimes not. i.e. you steal a candy bar in PA and drive to NY. The FBI isn't going to get involved. However, if you abduct someone in NY and take them to PA, the FBI would take over the case.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
That is perfect, that's about all I needed. I think I will manage it so they worked in different areas, then he got promoted to chief of detectives.

She's just a bit of a klutz. I said she was a bad cop, but she isn't really. She just has a habit for ending up in bad situations. I'll make it work. It may be better if she were assigned to auto crimes or theft anyway, since it is a stolen car after all.

Thanks, RJK! This was helpful! It doesn't sound like I am really breaking too many rules if I just rearrange things.

As for address, I just wanted to know her title. The city the crime occurs in is Galveston.

Also, do you know: If a large number of bricks (bags tightly wrapped) of cocaine were dumped on a site then stolen, would they be likely to leave any trace powder behind? I was thinking that I could probably say yes on that, but didn't know how much of a stretch of believability that was.

I don't exactly mess about with that kind of thing. LOL!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
What sort of rank might I give to male cop?

Lieutenant probably. Addressed as sir, Lieutenant, or Lou if the cop addressing him is on familiar terms.

What sort of address might I give to female cop?

Detective.

What kind of department is feasible that they work in? Homicide, or could they be somewhere else and he is just trying to do something sneaky?

If he wants her to investigate a homicide she'd need to be a homicide cop probably. It depends partly on what city.

This crosses State lines, which normally would involve FBI, right? Would she be concerned about that?

Probably, but it depends on HOW it crosses state lines. Local police could investigate outside of their jurisdiction without too much trouble (as long as they didn't get caught) but they could not arrest or detain people, could not get warrants etc. without someone on the inside with the local law enforcement.

rosebud84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurenkaehler.wordpress.com
I have a similar question about what a detective can and cannot do.

In my story the detective is investigating a homicide of a woman who was abused and the victim's son is the main suspect. If the detective has a personal vendetta against the woman's son for something he may have done in the past (which I haven't worked out yet), would it be possible for him to use that against him and make him do anything he could to put the boy away for muder even if he wasn't guilty?

rosebud84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurenkaehler.wordpress.com
In regards to previous comments,

I also would recommend the Howdunit series. I have two of them, Police Procedure and Forensics and they both are beneficial when writing a detective story.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I may shell out the buckage for the Howdunit book...thinkin' about it since this is my second mystery. It's probably a good plan at this point.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar question about what a detective can and cannot do.

In my story the detective is investigating a homicide of a woman who was abused and the victim's son is the main suspect. If the detective has a personal vendetta against the woman's son* for something he may have done in the past (which I haven't worked out yet), would it be possible for him to use that against him and make him do anything he could to put the boy away for muder even if he wasn't guilty?**

*In this case, the detective might be pulled off the case if there's a "conflict of interest." It also depends on if he makes this issue known, or if it's public knowledge. Plus, most cops are honest, hard working people--so if you're going to make this guy take action based on something this kid "may or may not have done," well...it better be good and well plotted. And I'm speaking from personal experience about cops and integrity. ;)

**Sure, there are dirty cops and this is 'possible' (esp in fiction), but he'd have to manipulate evidence, other possible witnesses, etc. etc. etc. Also, does he have a partner? Is his partner willing to go along with this scheme? There are a lot of factors in each and every crime. It all depends on your scenario. Plus, is this kid going to let a cop bully him into admitting he killed his own mother if he's innocent? Not so sure about that.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
QUESTIONS:

What sort of rank might I give to male cop? What RJK said

What sort of address might I give to female cop? A cop is a cop is a cop, regardless of gender. If she's a detective, then she'd be a detective, just like her male counterparts. :)

What kind of department is feasible that they work in? Homicide, or could they be somewhere else and he is just trying to do something sneaky? I agree with RJK here--the cream of the crop usually get promoted to homicide. Maybe put her in auto theft instead, as RJK said.

This crosses State lines, which normally would involve FBI, right? Would she be concerned about that? Love the candy bar example and I can't outdo that, but RJK's right. Crossing state lines and fed involvement depends on the crime committed. Candy bar snatching isn't on par with kidnapping, etc. :) They'd likely contact the state police or whatever jurisdiction is involved in the other state and work the case together.
Also, do you know: If a large number of bricks (bags tightly wrapped) of cocaine were dumped on a site then stolen, would they be likely to leave any trace powder behind? I was thinking that I could probably say yes on that, but didn't know how much of a stretch of believability that was.
It depends on how the kilo's are wrapped. I've seen both ends of the spectrum. However, a drug dog will detect residue in most cases, although it won't necessarily be detectable by the human eye.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I think for the story's sake I'll have a brick bust open and leave a small pile.

Thanks, Rowan!