• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I am in need of a mentor, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a writer and yet I have so much writing I must get accomplished. I am green and could use some guidance.

I have questions and I would benefit greatly from constructive criticism. I need to come to understand my weaknesses and I need to find my strengths, if any.

I suppose you could say that I need a full service mentor, someone who knows.

My mother always said that beggars can't be choosers. I have no specific requests for credentials.

I am not certain what else I should say in my request for a mentor but if any of you are willing to take me on, I would be most grateful.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Additional questions and answers that may help bring forth a mentor.

What do I write?

Abstracts, concepts, and ideas may be one way of describing what I write. Food for thought or contemplative material may be another way to describe it.

I also write informative articles and commentary about topics such as science, philosophy, religion, metaphysics, health, nature, illness and spirituality.

I have written various types of poetry including cinquains, haikus, sonnets and more.

How is it that I have written these things and yet I claim to be green?

I took a creative writing course in college.....19 years ago!

What am I looking for from a mentor?

I seek someone who can offer constructive criticism, answer questions, offer tips and make sure that I am reaching my goals.

On occasion, I would like for this individual to read and evaluate (but not edit) my work. The majority of the articles I write range from 200 to 800 words. Seldom do I write anything longer than that.

What are your writing goals?

My writing goals are numerous and they include the following:

1) To learn to elaborate. - I take in information like a starving dog on a steak but trying to get that information back (out of me) is like trying to take steak from a starving dog. I need help getting it out.

* I promise not to bite any appendages off anyone who would become my mentor.

2) To become a columnist. - I have the opportunity to begin writing a health column for the local paper. This column will help get the word out about CDHH. The problem is...I don't know the first thing about being a columnist!

3) To find out if what I write is worth reading. - Because I am not a published writer, I have no way of determining the value of my writing skills.

4) more to come...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Gehanna said:
I seek someone who can offer constructive criticism, answer questions, offer tips and make sure that I am reaching my goals.

On occasion, I would like for this individual to read and evaluate (but not edit) my work. The majority of the articles I write range from 200 to 800 words. Seldom do I write anything longer than that.

Hey G.

Looks like your request has had almost 100 views but no takers!

I would like to try to help. I have to stress, though, that the only type of writing I have ever actually taught to others is creative fiction and poetry. I've done the odd workshop and I have also facilitated a couple writing circles. Although I have experience article writing, I do not have experience mentoring others in this field. I'd be happy to help with constructive criticism, answering questions and offering tips. I think reaching your goals is something you would have to strive for on your own. Nobody can light the fire under another person. I can help fan it once it's lit though, if you'd like. Let me know how I can help you.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
KTC!! :D

You said:
I've done the odd workshop

Odd? ... odd is good, odd is me.

You are my editor and if you have the ability to edit the stuff that comes outa my mind then you certainly have what it takes to be a Mentor.

I also asked someone directly if they would be my mentor. I won't mention who because they may want to remain anonymous but they were also kind enough to offer their assistance.

My question is....can I keep you both?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I am fine with you having more than 1 person helping you. I have 2 people in my writing life that I consider mentors. They are both invaluable to me...and they both know it!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
:)

"Chivalry is not lost."

I always wanted to say that, or in this case, write it.

Who is the author of that saying? Where did it come from?

Gehanna

Status
Not open for further replies.