DAW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tantalus

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

Just wondering...

Does anyone know how long DAW is currently taking to make a decision on a second reading?

Also...does anyone know anyone who actually managed to get published through submitting to DAW directly - ie. not through an agent?

THANKS!

T

Oberon89

The Druid you're looking for
Registered
Reaction score
I believe (might be wrong) Jim C. Hines managed to get published that way; he's still with DAW; I'd check out his site.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
I cannot say how long DAW takes at present, but I can give you an example of how long they could take a few years ago.

March 6, 2006: My agent informs me that the first reader at DAW liked it and has passed the book on to the final reader, the editor-in-chief.

I omit here ten e-mails over the next 29 months about the agent's attempts to nudge the editor.

August 21, 2008: My agent informs me that as far as he can tell, the editor started to read the book, lost interest, and will probably not read it again. [However, I never did get an "official" final decision from the editor.]
----------------

Patience, they say, is a virtue. Good luck. For my part, I self-published.

http://andiriel.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
That matches my experience fifteen years ago. Agent submitted material to DAW, material made it to second reader, material dropped off the face of the earth for 17 months. Agent told me they'd probably lost it, or lost interest.
It was an okay book, but before we could try another round of revisions my career ate my writing time. Eventually, agent and I parted ways with a handshake. He's not agenting my genre right now, or I might be back with him.

As for unagented response times, that seems to be luck of the draw. I'd say be prepared to wait at least a year, maybe a year and a half.

Filigree

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I believe (might be wrong) Jim C. Hines managed to get published that way; he's still with DAW; I'd check out his site.

Nope. I had an agent. Full story is here. (Though I do know of a few people who submitted to DAW directly and got a deal that way.)

Unfortunately, several years is not unusual. It's not just DAW, either. I had a 2.5 year wait for an acceptance from Baen, way back when.

Oberon89

The Druid you're looking for
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I had an agent. Full story is here. (Though I do know of a few people who submitted to DAW directly and got a deal that way.)

Unfortunately, several years is not unusual. It's not just DAW, either. I had a 2.5 year wait for an acceptance from Baen, way back when.

Ah, thanks Jim! Sorry about the mistake.

Tantalus

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update.
1 year, 3 months.
Still waiting for second reader.
I have no problem with that. It's great they still take unsolicited submissions. I just think the website shouldn't say: "It may require up to three months or more for our editors to review a submission and come to a decision."
It's a bit misleading.
Sure, it says "or more" but... that's a bit loose.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just gonna throw this out there- maybe it's time to re-write it and sub it somewhere else?

Here's a great piece of advice that was given to me by both Kevin J. Anderson AND Brandon Sanderson:

(Paraphrasing)

We're writers. We write. We don't just write ONE story. Writing stories is what we do. So, don't dwell on one story, write more. If you're waiting to hear back on one story, you're not doing your job. WRITE.

At one time, Kevin J. Anderson had the most rejections BY WEIGHT of any author, now he has over 40 Bestselling works (and over 100 published books).

Brandon Sanderson's Elantris was the sixth novel he wrote and tried to sell, I think he said he'd actually written TEN before he sold any.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a great piece of advice that was given to me by both Kevin J. Anderson AND Brandon Sanderson:

(Paraphrasing)

We're writers. We write. We don't just write ONE story. Writing stories is what we do. So, don't dwell on one story, write more. If you're waiting to hear back on one story, you're not doing your job. WRITE.

At one time, Kevin J. Anderson had the most rejections BY WEIGHT of any author, now he has over 40 Bestselling works (and over 100 published books).

Brandon Sanderson's Elantris was the sixth novel he wrote and tried to sell, I think he said he'd actually written TEN before he sold any.

That is great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.