Foster Care and Reunification

Jodotha

Oh hey, I've been here before...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have many questions. I'll try to keep this simple, so if you need more information, please let me know.

My protagonist is a fifteen year old boy in the system, and (without attempting a summary here) his mother is back. She's been in prison and rehab off and on for various offenses, mostly prostitution and a few other things I haven't identified yet and will likely be asking YOU ALL about in the future.

Question 1: If Mom has attempted to keep in contact with Boy via letters, phone calls, requests for visits, etc - is this enough to stay the revocation of her parental rights? In this draft, there have been two attempts at reunification. He was taken from her at five, one attempt at seven, one at 12. I'm not set on these, so any other plausible scenarios would be welcome. She never beat him, but there was neglect and drug use.

Question 2: If Boy does not WANT to be reunified with her, how might that be treated? I'd love answers ranging from GOOD caseworker all the way to BAD caseworker. Also, legally? This is my BIG BIG QUESTION as the continued plot depends on it. I greatly appreciate time and effort. Like...lots of appreciation. And virtual hugs.

Question 3: This is just a small one, but I'm curious. I've read that foster kids can share a room with a foster sibling of the same sex "up until a certain age". Pray tell, WHAT is that certain age?

This story takes place in New York, though any information from any states is welcome. It is contemporary.

As I said, I have many more questions, but those top two are the most prevalent. Thank you!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The state makes a difference in all of this.

I work for an agency who deals with the foster care of children who are mentally impaired in Pennsylvania. While we don't have any kids with your particular situation, many of our clients are there because of court ordered separation from their parents.

The general goal of our foster care program is to reunite the family. We work with the case worker to coordinate our trained resource parents, their various therapists, the school system to make things work out. Visits, phone calls, etc. are all encouraged as long as the child doesn't suffer for the contact, though visits can be monitored if required. Even for non-supervised visits, reports from bio-parents and the child (when possible) are gotten to keep track of progress.

Before a child can be returned to a home, the bio-parent(s) must prove that the reason(s) the child was removed is no longer a concern and has not been a concern for a certain length of time. What that time frame is depends on the state, the concern and the severity of the offense.

FWIW, my uncle and aunt adopted a boy (he was 12 at the time) who was abandoned and neglected regularly by his parents (locked in a trailer, no food, for up to 2 weeks at a time). Their custody of their children was permanently revoked, no repeals.

Recently, parents lost permanent custody of one of our clients (early teen) because they didn't meet the minimum requirement set by the caseworkers. The child also didn't want to go back to them, refusing to go on visits for the last several months. It required a court hearing to decide it and the child's preferences were noted in the judgment. Generally if the child can give coherent responses to the judge's questions about their preferences, they'll be considered by most judge's, just like any other witness.

As for your last question, at least in PA, each home has a maximum limit of children (natural, adopted and foster) that it can hold. There can be no more than two children per bedroom. From what I've seen in our program, there's no age limit to kids sharing a room, though with our clients, there is a preference for giving each child their own room.

Hope that helps.

Jodotha

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your response.
I understand the basics of what you're telling me. If I could, I'd like to further this discussion? In my story, Mom has cleared rehab and stayed sober, and is employed full time - she's doing everything she's supposed to. My protag still doesn't want to go back to her, though. In a normal, good situation, this would be noted and taken into consideration, as you stated above? Who all is involved in this process? The child, case worker, foster parents, judge...?
Also - and I realize this would be an exception, but it's fiction so we're all about exceptions - what could make his requests go unheeded? He has a history of troublesome behavior - silence, not allowing touching of any kind, then lashing out. He never stays in one foster home very long, and refuses any kind of treatment.
He wouldn't push, though, if he was silenced.
I don't believe there is a higher ratio of "bad" people in that business than in any other, but it's notorious for overloaded caseworkers. Would this situation be pushed for closing, especially because he's not easy to deal with?
I suppose what I'm looking for is a few places I might examine the process further to see where I can gum up the works a bit, fiction-wise.
Once again, I greatly appreciate your help with this!

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have many questions. I'll try to keep this simple, so if you need more information, please let me know.

My protagonist is a fifteen year old boy in the system, and (without attempting a summary here) his mother is back. She's been in prison and rehab off and on for various offenses, mostly prostitution and a few other things I haven't identified yet and will likely be asking YOU ALL about in the future.

Question 1: If Mom has attempted to keep in contact with Boy via letters, phone calls, requests for visits, etc - is this enough to stay the revocation of her parental rights? In this draft, there have been two attempts at reunification. He was taken from her at five, one attempt at seven, one at 12. I'm not set on these, so any other plausible scenarios would be welcome. She never beat him, but there was neglect and drug use.

Under most circumstances, mom would have lost her chance after the first family reunification plan failed.

However, a good caseworker (most are not - PM me if you want the first-hand perspective of a child who grew up entangled in the system) would listen to the kid and put in the time to investigate, locate Mom and see if reunification was possible - if the child hadn't already been adopted or placed into a long-term foster care situation.

Question 2: If Boy does not WANT to be reunified with her, how might that be treated? I'd love answers ranging from GOOD caseworker all the way to BAD caseworker. Also, legally? This is my BIG BIG QUESTION as the continued plot depends on it. I greatly appreciate time and effort. Like...lots of appreciation. And virtual hugs.

Children's opinions are highly considered by the system (family courts, social workers, family court judges) from about the age of twelve onward, and there's almost zero chance a fifteen-year-old would be reunited against his wishes with a birth mother whose parental rights to him had already been severed. A good social worker (or CASA advisor) would advocate on behalf of a child over the age of twelve who expressed a wish to be reunited with their mother. I have heard both extremely positive and extremely negative opinions regarding the CASA program.

http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301295/k.BE9A/Home.htm

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your response.
I understand the basics of what you're telling me. If I could, I'd like to further this discussion? In my story, Mom has cleared rehab and stayed sober, and is employed full time - she's doing everything she's supposed to. My protag still doesn't want to go back to her, though. In a normal, good situation, this would be noted and taken into consideration, as you stated above? Who all is involved in this process? The child, case worker, foster parents, judge...?
Also - and I realize this would be an exception, but it's fiction so we're all about exceptions - what could make his requests go unheeded? He has a history of troublesome behavior - silence, not allowing touching of any kind, then lashing out. He never stays in one foster home very long, and refuses any kind of treatment.
He wouldn't push, though, if he was silenced.

The silence and lashing out, refusing treatment and being kicked out of one foster home or group home placement after another is a textbook description of a child or teenager who has been taken away from their unfit parents. So this behavior wouldn't trouble an experienced social worker - she's probably seen it all and (hopefully) has been educated properly about the unique concerns of kids in out-of-home care.

Jodotha

Registered
Reaction score
Under most circumstances, mom would have lost her chance after the first family reunification plan failed.

However, a good caseworker (most are not - PM me if you want the first-hand perspective of a child who grew up entangled in the system) would listen to the kid and put in the time to investigate, locate Mom and see if reunification was possible - if the child hadn't already been adopted or placed into a long-term foster care situation.

Really? I've read articles about multiple reunification attempts in several different situations. Okay - what if I were to take the previous attempts out? The problem there is the long time-span of ten years. Is there any way she could retain parental rights over that time span?

Children's opinions are highly considered by the system (family courts, social workers, family court judges) from about the age of twelve onward, and there's almost zero chance a fifteen-year-old would be reunited against his wishes with a birth mother whose parental rights to him had already been severed. A good social worker (or CASA advisor) would advocate on behalf of a child over the age of twelve who expressed a wish to be reunited with their mother. I have heard both extremely positive and extremely negative opinions regarding the CASA program.
What if the she still retains rights? I'm not at all trying to refute your information, just exploring possibilities. Thank you!

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I interned in a foster care agency. If you tell us the scenario that you want to happen, I'm sure we could come up with a realistic way that would play out. There are so many factors involved. There aren't cookie cutter answers to your questions.
Hi all,

Regulations would state that her parental rights should have been terminated, but reality doesn't usually match regulations and kids stay in the system a lot longer than what's recommended. Regulations state that the "best interests of the child" are paramount. If the regulations were followed to a T- her parental rights would have been terminated 18 months to 2 years after he was in care, but as I said, regulations and reality rarely meet. Reunification is the first goal of foster care, if possible. In your situation, it sounds like the mother failed that repeatedly. In reality, there are more foster children than places for them. The boy was likely in several different places, and if he was a behavior problem, he's probably be in a group home rather than in a family environment. There is a possibility that he could be with the initial family who fostered him, but that is not likely. If he's in kinship care (family who is paid to foster him) that might be different.

The caseworker isn't usually the one who will make the final decision, her supervisor will work with her. In some cases family court will be involved. At 15, if he doesn't want to be reunited with her, and if he's in a stable foster environment with people who want to keep him and where he wants to stay, a judge would look positively on the situation. If he has therapist, guidance counselor or other professionals advocating for him to stay in foster care, that will carry weight. Forcing reunification between a 15 yo who has been in the system for 10 years most likely won't happen, in my experience. About the caseworker--he's likely had multiple caseworkers throught his stay in foster care. If he's had his current one for a while and if she is respected at her agency and a good worker, her recommendations will carry more weight. If she's not good, inexperienced, overworked that she doesn't have time, lazy etc. the supervisor's recommendation will probably overrule the caseworker. You can come up with a scenario to fit whatever you want, and make it believable and realistic. The least likely would be that he's dragged kicking and screaming to his bio mother's place, but we could make that work

Question 3: This is just a small one, but I'm curious. I've read that foster kids can share a room with a foster sibling of the same sex "up until a certain age". Pray tell, WHAT is that certain age? do you mean same sex or opposite sex. In my state foster kids do not need their own bedroom, they can share with another. They cannot be in a bedroom with the opposite sex. These regulations will vary by state. In New York city, where many families live in apartments, I believe that the regulations are different. I believe the regulations vary by county.

This story takes place in New York, though any information from any states is welcome. It is contemporary.

As I said, I have many more questions, but those top two are the most prevalent. Thank you!

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I've read articles about multiple reunification attempts in several different situations. Okay - what if I were to take the previous attempts out? The problem there is the long time-span of ten years. Is there any way she could retain parental rights over that time span?

What if the she still retains rights? I'm not at all trying to refute your information, just exploring possibilities. Thank you!

The Federal (American) guidelines were changed in 1996, instructing states on how to plan for family reunifications or the severing of parental rights. (These are state issues but the Federal government pays a large portion of the bills - so the states have to agree to follow Federal policies if they wish to keep accepting Federal money to support these programs.)
The majority of instances you're hearing about most likely occurred before 1996.

Also, what Pink Amy said is very important. The 12 months "get it together or you're out" plan for mothers is an ideal - most of the time, there are no adoptive homes waiting for older foster children. So even after mother of the year permanently loses custody of her kids, if she gets sober five years later, is out of prison and working towards a goal of some sort, and her children haven't been adopted or placed into a stable/long term foster home situation, there's a chance she could get the kids back. However, the kids' opinions would be taken into serious consideration, especially if they're mature enough (like I said, this age is usually twelve or older) to offer an opinion.

Like Pink Amy, I not only was a part of the system but I also worked directly inside the child placement system as an adult. The agency I worked for spent tons of time and money training employees and volunteers. Unfortunately, the training was so expensive and time-consuming, we were the last group at our agency to take part in what was an extremely worthwhile and valuable experience. I worked with children who had been taken away from their parents by the courts, legal action, the police, social workers, etc. I dealt with the kids and their families, although my first responsibility was the well-being of the kids.

Jodotha

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are amazing.

Wow, okay.

I interned in a foster care agency. If you tell us the scenario that you want to happen, I'm sure we could come up with a realistic way that would play out. There are so many factors involved. There aren't cookie cutter answers to your questions.

Oh sure, use LOGIC ;-) In truth, I'm not clear on what I want to happen. I've always said the plot is this character, this boy, Ben. So I have a few options, and what I've learned from all of you has given me more ideas. YAY!!
Your offer is EPICALLY AWESOME, though, so I'll tell a few of the ideas, and maybe you can give me information from there?
When I started writing Ben, he came into my head, told me his life sucked, and we went from there. Without doing research, what came out was a story of a kid who was taken away at five, bounced from home to home because of problem after problem. There are still plenty of issues here that require further research, so I'm going to gloss a bit. Basically, he has symptoms of Asperger's autism, but not the full gamut. He's also dyslexic, and possibly (?) some disgraphia? I'm hesitant to fully label him one way or another, because mostly - he's Ben. Personally I've had some mild suffering from being labeled, so I try to keep that to a minimum, at least until it's time to pitch. (the diagnoses is shorter than describing symptoms, see...)
Anyhoo, he refuses any kind of treatment because of an extreme paranoia of drugs/doctors/etc. This goes back to his childhood (and more I have yet to research). This also means he’s not correctly diagnosed, likely, though his dyslexia has been identified.
In my original notes, he didn't see his mother for ten years, developed deep anger towards her, and she suddenly showed up and took him back.
Well. I learned that was not exactly plausible. That’s a good thing, even if it screws with my angsty!Ben plot.
So I tweaked. Added a couple reunification attempts, a lot of phone calls, letters, visits, etc.
Ben is self-taught that no one wants him and no one cares and angst angst depression depression. When Mom comes back, he tells her he doesn't want her, but when he's not listened to immediately, he gives up.
That’s sort of the theme, in my head, learning to care about yourself. My goal, in the end, is to have him save himself somehow. What happens in the interim is important, but I’m still flexible.
With that in mind, there are plenty of options, still.
The idea of her coming back and petitioning to reinstate her parental rights is also a possibility.
As it stands, he is moved to a stable family home that has a good track record with previous foster kids.
Woot!

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some suggestions. I love he idea of giving him mild asperger's, because there aren't enough books for kids in his situation.
You guys are amazing.

Wow, okay.

Oh sure, use LOGIC ;-) In truth, I'm not clear on what I want to happen. I've always said the plot is this character, this boy, Ben. So I have a few options, and what I've learned from all of you has given me more ideas. YAY!!
Your offer is EPICALLY AWESOME, though, so I'll tell a few of the ideas, and maybe you can give me information from there?
When I started writing Ben, he came into my head, told me his life sucked, and we went from there. Without doing research, what came out was a story of a kid who was taken away at five, bounced from home to home because of problem after problem. There are still plenty of issues here that require further research, so I'm going to gloss a bit. Basically, he has symptoms of Asperger's autism, but not the full gamut. He's also dyslexic, and possibly (?) some disgraphia? I'm hesitant to fully label him one way or another, because mostly - he's Ben. Personally I've had some mild suffering from being labeled, so I try to keep that to a minimum, at least until it's time to pitch. (the diagnoses is shorter than describing symptoms, see...) As a rule, asperger's kids usually have high IQs, but it's not unheard of that they would also have a learning disability. Since you're writing for YA, I think you'd be better off labeling him because teens for the most part won't pick up on his issues. Because's he's a foster kid he could easily have slipped through the cracks in terms of testing OR he could be tested more if he's a difficult to place kid.
Anyhoo, he refuses any kind of treatment because of an extreme paranoia of drugs/doctors/etc. This goes back to his childhood (and more I have yet to research). This also means he’s not correctly diagnosed, likely, though his dyslexia has been identified.You're going to have difficulty writing Ben as refusing treatment. because he's a foster kid he doesn't have a choice. He might go begrudgingly and not participate in tx, but if he refused to go he's likely end up in a group home. Asperger's kids are usually sticklers for rules and compliant because they are rigid thinking. You can still write him fearing drugs/drs etc, but you've got to find concrete reasoning for this. Perhaps he's hooked on a naturalistic website that advocates against doctors and western medicine (and also things like chemo for cancer).
In my original notes, he didn't see his mother for ten years, developed deep anger towards her, and she suddenly showed up and took him back.
Well. I learned that was not exactly plausible. That’s a good thing, even if it screws with my angsty!Ben plot.Since Ben is a special need due to a learning disability or asperger's his mother will have a harder time getting him back. Asperger's folks do not do well with change.
So I tweaked. Added a couple reunification attempts, a lot of phone calls, letters, visits, etc.
Ben is self-taught that no one wants him and no one cares and angst angst depression depression. When Mom comes back, he tells her he doesn't want her, but when he's not listened to immediately, he gives up. People with asperger's have feelings intellectually rather than emotionally. He will understand he's not quite like other kids and want to be like others, he'll try to copy their behaviors to fit in. He won't emotionally feel like a misfit in the same way someone w/o asperger's would feel it. He will have hobbies and interests that substitute for relationships, that mean more to him than people. Often this will be something mathematical, like statistics or a type of building or engineering, making bird houses or building houses of cards or architectural drawings of buildings he wants to make some day.
That’s sort of the theme, in my head, learning to care about yourself. My goal, in the end, is to have him save himself somehow. What happens in the interim is important, but I’m still flexible.
With that in mind, there are plenty of options, still.
The idea of her coming back and petitioning to reinstate her parental rights is also a possibility.
As it stands, he is moved to a stable family home that has a good track record with previous foster kids.this is your most realistic scenario for him to remain in foster care w/o a group home. There are "therapeutic foster care' homes for kids like Ben, where the foster parents would be trained to deal with more difficult children. They'd know how to deal with Ben's OCD behaviors and melt downs and de-escalate the situation.
Woot!

Jodotha

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, pretend I didn’t say anything about any disabilities – the last thing I want is this to be a book about a foster kid with disabilities. This is a book about Ben. My goal with Ben is to give teens a lot to hold onto – not a specific diagnosis, but experiences that AS and non-AS people can relate to. We’ll see if it works. So far, it seems to be.
I understand that there are differences in care, but for this, he is undiagnosed.
I have a lot of experience with asperger’s having grown up with it, so I’m confident in that area. Feel free to PM me about it, if you would like. I’m happy to discuss.
I really appreciate your insight into the system. The move to the stable foster home is the beginning of the story – not the end. I'm still playing with his mother entering his life again, and what happens from there.
Thanks!

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ben sounds like an interesting character with a great story. He's going to have trust and attachment issues being in foster care, bouncing from place to place.
Foster care ends at 18, although some foster kids are helped with college expenses. If a foster child is fortunate, he has a great foster family who will consider him family after the age of 18, without the payment. Foster parents are paid per child based on the level of placeability. An easy child like a baby would get the lowest and a child in a therapeutic foster family or the highest. Harder to place kids like boys, older children, sibling sets, have higher rates than the easier ones. Girls are always easier to place because they have less behavior problems-girls generally turn they problems inward with self destructive behavior, boys outward. In the end, the boys are the healthier for doing so. I worked in foster care a while ago, the rates ranged from about $5 a day to $12 but I'm sure they've gone up since then. The pay is for their room and board. Contrary to popular belief, foster parents don't get rich taking in a ton of kids.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And how much of his perceived 'learning disabilities' are the result of constant moves in childhood? If he went into foster care at 5, the starting age for school, and was re-homed a few times in the elementary grades, he might have missed enough stuff to seriously disadvantage him. But, being a kid, he might just have written it off as "I'm just not smart, everybody else is getting this", and stop trying.

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ben sounds like an interesting character with a great story. He's going to have trust and attachment issues being in foster care, bouncing from place to place.
Foster care ends at 18, although some foster kids are helped with college expenses. If a foster child is fortunate, he has a great foster family who will consider him family after the age of 18, without the payment. Foster parents are paid per child based on the level of placeability. An easy child like a baby would get the lowest and a child in a therapeutic foster family or the highest. Harder to place kids like boys, older children, sibling sets, have higher rates than the easier ones. Girls are always easier to place because they have less behavior problems-girls generally turn they problems inward with self destructive behavior, boys outward. In the end, the boys are the healthier for doing so. I worked in foster care a while ago, the rates ranged from about $5 a day to $12 but I'm sure they've gone up since then. The pay is for their room and board. Contrary to popular belief, foster parents don't get rich taking in a ton of kids.

In California, the age of maturity for foster children was *finally* changed to 21, so this means kids can get services for three extra years. There were kids (as you probably are aware, having worked in the system) who would turn 18 halfway through their senior year of high school, which meant the foster parents' check was cut off, and so was the state medical care for the foster child. Now, the kids can be provided with services until they turn 21, including transitional housing, although I don't know what has happened to the housing programs with budget cuts.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
In California, the age of maturity for foster children was *finally* changed to 21, so this means kids can get services for three extra years. There were kids (as you probably are aware, having worked in the system) who would turn 18 halfway through their senior year of high school, which meant the foster parents' check was cut off, and so was the state medical care for the foster child. Now, the kids can be provided with services until they turn 21, including transitional housing, although I don't know what has happened to the housing programs with budget cuts.

Great to hear. California is always ahead of the pack (except when your voters went for prop 8). I'm glad at least one state is doing something about transitioning from the system.

Jodotha

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'm noting all of this for sure. That's likely going to be handy near the end.
I know New York has a program kids can voluntarily enroll in to help them prepare for being on their own. Not sure how successful it is. Not as good as full support.
Now, for the reunification bit, I'm looking at two scenarios. One is his mom having made a couple reunification attempts already. The other is that her rights were terminated earlier on (say, when she was in prison?) and she's petitioning to have them reinstated now that she steadier and sober.
If that's the case, what obstacles is she going to face? What obstacles could Ben throw at her? And also, what obstacles might HE face?
I really appreciate all of the information you guys are giving me!