Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Looking at the thread titles on our P&CE front page, I'm convinced that we regulars need something worthwhile to do, so we don't really have to talk about Bristol Palin's memoir, and the guy who got accidentally killed by a rooster.

May I make a modest proposal?

We want to encourage people to read, to learn, to share knowledge and ideas. We want to encourage the Commons to flourish. So we’re going to produce occasional e-books, in HTML, epub and .pdf.

We’ll host and distribute them for free, via absoluteclasses.com.

We propose to use the best public domain editions we can find, with editing as necessary.

We will add an original Introduction essay, notes, and an annotated bibliography.

Some editions will include newly written essays offering background, critical interpretations and commentary.

We will request one-time e-rights, with attribution, with share-and-share alike creative commons licensing.

I challenge the Politics regulars begin this project with a new edition of The Federalist Papers (Another link to the primary texts, here)
The Federalist Papers were a series of eighty-five essays urging the citizens of New York to ratify the new United States Constitution. Written by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay, the essays originally appeared anonymously in New York newspapers in 1787 and 1788 under the pen name "Publius." A bound edition of the essays was first published in 1788, but it was not until the 1818 edition published by the printer Jacob Gideon that the authors of each essay were identified by name. The Federalist Papers are considered one of the most important sources for interpreting and understanding the original intent of the Constitution.

Here's my challenge: Write an thoughtful, passionate, articulate essay about one of the original Federalist Paper essays, for inclusion as commentary in the AW Politics Forum Federalist Papers e-book project.

Who's in?

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Waaaah! I'd rather do these first. :D

[/whine]

Actually, it sounds like an interesting idea. And there are a number of them I like, too. :)

*goes off to wander the list*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a little off the writing path for me, but I might be.

I have an interest in history; it's a considerable part of my nonfiction reading.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Waaaah! I'd rather do these first. :D

[/whine]

Actually, it sounds like an interesting idea. And there are a number of them I like, too. :)

*goes off to wander the list*

So write about those, Don, and we'll include them with your essay. I'll start sourcing primary texts.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Great idea, Mac.

I'm working slower than I'd like on my WIP, but if this takes off, I'll join in and pick from the ones no one else has claimed.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's a really great idea!

Early American history is not my strong spot; my degree is in international relations. Maybe that means I really should try to do it and learn more along the way :)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
So write about those, Don, and we'll include them with your essay. I'll start sourcing primary texts.
Let's stick with the original plan. I'll find the Madison paper on the General Welfare clause to write about. ;)

ETA: That would be #41. :)

Last edited:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Rob, absolutely. That sounds like a really interesting take, in fact.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Wait. A guy was accidentally killed by a rooster?

This is a fascinating idea, Mac. I'm probably not up to the challenge, but I'll give it a look see.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I love the Federalist papers. I am pretty sure any paltry effort I could make would be dwarfed by the PC&E regulars, so I'll just hang back and wait for the results. :)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Homework? :gone:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
For anybody not sure about tackling something like this, I'm guessing this thread will be a good place for research assistance, and I know anything I write is going to spend some time downstairs in The Soapbox where the real writers can help me pick it apart before it gets turned in to the teacher. :)

Deleted member 42

Finally, something to do that doesn't require angst!

Can I analyze them all from the point of view of Hobbes?

Hobbes is cited specifically in a couple, and there's one that I think is using Hobbes sans attribution.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Hobbes is cited specifically in a couple, and there's one that I think is using Hobbes sans attribution.
It's just one person's opinion, but I'd look in the essays written by Hamilton first if I was looking for Hobbes references. :D

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

It's just one person's opinion, but I'd look in the essays written by Hamilton first if I was looking for Hobbes references. :D

It is my opinion that Hobbes had far more influence on the minds of Madison et al than is recognized by scholars of the period.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
A very cool and useful idea Mac. I'm very interested as a bystander for now, as it would take me time to get up to speed.

Should we subscribe to this thread or will another be started?

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Go ahead and subscribe to this one, at least for now, Thoth - I may be building us a sub-subforum workroom, if we can get off the ground.

Deleted member 42

Go ahead and subscribe to this one, at least for now, Thoth - I may be building us a sub-subforum workroom, if we can get off the ground.

Please subscribe to daily not instant, thanks.

(Yes, I obsess about the server).