Prosthetics

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely post my own thread, but here goes.

In my 2nd WIP, I have a character who has lost a leg and has been fitted with a prosthesis - at least I think that's what it's called. It's one of those downhill ski-type devices that usually has a curve at the bottom (I've seen them on runners in the Paralympics, for example). The character is a soldier, home from Afghanistan.

My questions:

1. Does the U.S. military fit their soldiers with this type of prosthetic, or do they use some other type?

2. Does it make sense for the guy to use a cane occasionally to help him around? He's had the device for only a few months, and my thinking was that he's still getting used to it and needs a bit of help.

3. What about sex? (No, not with you! ;)) Srsly. Would he need to take off the device just before? Half an hour before? I can't imagine him keeping it on while getting down and dirty, but what do I know?

4. The prosthetic I'm talking about - what is it made of? Some kind of polymer? Just need the basics here.

Many thanks to all who can straighten me out on this. :)

Nancy

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can only answer #3. (Is there anything I haven't done?) He will remove the prosthesis before sex. Just before is fine; if the stump can handle his body weight in walking and such, it doesn't need any recovery time after the device is removed.

The truncated limb means some positions are no longer possible--but new ones are.

Maryn, thinking of Bill...

JerseyGirl1962

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can only answer #3. (Is there anything I haven't done?) He will remove the prosthesis before sex. Just before is fine; if the stump can handle his body weight in walking and such, it doesn't need any recovery time after the device is removed.

The truncated limb means some positions are no longer possible--but new ones are.

Thanks, Maryn. :)

Nancy

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score

Amy, amazed at the number of things Maryn knows.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
1. Does the U.S. military fit their soldiers with this type of prosthetic, or do they use some other type?

I think the answer is here.
http://www.prosthetics.va.gov/

2. Does it make sense for the guy to use a cane occasionally to help him around? He's had the device for only a few months, and my thinking was that he's still getting used to it and needs a bit of help.

No, he needs to learn to walk properly with the prosthetic. A cane will only cause him to develop bad habits.

4. The prosthetic I'm talking about - what is it made of? Some kind of polymer? Just need the basics here.

Carbon fiber and steel mostly.

JerseyGirl1962

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I think the answer is here.
http://www.prosthetics.va.gov/

No, he needs to learn to walk properly with the prosthetic. A cane will only cause him to develop bad habits.

Carbon fiber and steel mostly.

Drachen,

This is exactly what I needed - thanks! :)

Nancy

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
My questions:

I can't answer your US-specific question here, but I think you may have missed a trick. Those carbon fibre runner's legs aren't something the amputee athletes wear all the time - they switch them with more "ordinary" prosthetics when they aren't running.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.03/blade.html

and note the comment on "tossing his legs into the grass".

Apologies if I'm misinterpreting your wording and you knew this all along :)