Outcasts (BBC Sci-Fi) [SPOILERS]

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1697793/

Anyone else watch this last night? Decent cast, interesting premise and yet, I wasn't gripped. Mainly because it took me a while to work out what the hell was going on. I'll give episode two a go tonight and hope it'll improve.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it.

I'm not sure about it yet. I'm certainly going to watch the second episode and see how things shake out. There were some very good moments, but I'm having a hard time engaging with any of the characters yet.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Yeah, that was more or less how I felt. It also seemed too bitty - as if the makers were trying to put in too much and so couldn't focus on any particular thing.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
It was ok it felt like they were trying to be Lost and they killed off a really good bad guy. Half way through the ep I thought he was going to last for the duration of the season. Writers must have decided they didn't like him and killed him off.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Is it me or did Cunningham's accent waver a bit? I know he's Irish but he does a great English accent. Seemed to veer between the two last night.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I rather appreciated the space colony in the far future being populated by suvverners, a dodgy Irishman and a fluttery French nursery teacher. Makes you think we could maybe get the Empire going again.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
If they repopulated it though, they would sound way different 100 years from now as the accents would have changed a lot. Think of America and Australia and how their regional accents have developed in the past 300 years. From British English to how it different it sounds from when the colonies populated them. So all their accents could morph into one XD or there could be an entirely new accent.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
The IMDB entry says it's only set in 2040. Is that right, or inaccurate? (Not a surprise if IMDB gets it wrong.) 2040 would be ridiculously soon. I can suspend a lot of disbelief, but not enough to swallow that.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The IMDB entry says it's only set in 2040. Is that right, or inaccurate? (Not a surprise if IMDB gets it wrong.) 2040 would be ridiculously soon. I can suspend a lot of disbelief, but not enough to swallow that.
Not a lot of future tech was in evidence, besides a brain scanner that can act as a lie detector to prove innocence or guilt, or allows you to re-experience memories with amazing clarity. No details were offered about FTL or whatever method ships use to reach other worlds). Like the characters, you're simply supposed to accept that it's possible. Who needs clumsy exposition anyway? :)

-Derek

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
I see it now. It's absolutely typical of short-run BBC drama.
They pile up an enormous pile of hints at secrets, then they add more secrets to the heap.
I expect that they'll resolve almost all of them in a series of increasingly improbable plot twists. I further expect that the last two episodes will be devoted to explaining those secrets.

Presumably, they structure these series so that people will keep watching to see the resolutions. But I won't.

No details were offered about FTL or whatever method ships use to reach other worlds
I hate to be one of those twats, but in episode one Captain whatshisname did say the ship was switching from anti-matter drive to... presumably something.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no the killer from skins is in it :( he scares me shitless.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I'm predisposed to liking SF series with space lasers and aliens and stuff, but I'm having difficulties with this. It's a future with antimatter drives and machines that can display your thoughts, but mechanised transport has disappeared so cops on the trail of dangerous criminals go on two day hiking trips where they get nibbled by nocturnal monsters. The dangerous mutant gang are apparently a major threat to Porthaven (isn't that where the Dieppe ferry leaves from?) but are too stupid to understand their own machine guns. And the colonists, ignoring the traditional colonising philosophy of eliminating the natives and grabbing as much land as they can, choose to live inside an unfuturistic Rotherham with no transportation network and a sodding huge gate even though nobody drives anything.

And they whinge. Boo hoo, you stole my mother's berth and nobody can get pregnant and my daughter doesn't love me and I'm not giving my horrible family ring away and waaaah my hands are covered in blood. Get with the programme, you muppets. This isn't the spirit of the country that erected the Millennium Dome. I'm about one emoting heart-to-heart away from supporting the mutants.

As for the President of this shambles, well, much as I admire his tough-but-fair policy of genociding the mutants on the off-chance that it improves Childhood Mortality Statistics, I reckon it's a mistake entrusting the eradication programme to a moody bloke with multiple personality disorder (even if he was Apollo in BSG) and then not checking the bodies afterwards.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
*pops into thread to not read any of the posts since yesterday as I won't get to watch episode 2 until tonight. pops out again*

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
i didn't see the second one as there was something else on I was more interested in.

Was it better?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I hate to be one of those twats, but in episode one Captain whatshisname did say the ship was switching from anti-matter drive to... presumably something.
I meant, there's no in-depth explanation/exposition of any future tech or how they might have obtained this. Just labels. Which is okay, but added to the bog standard overfamiliarity of the scenario.

i didn't see the second one as there was something else on I was more interested in.

Was it better?
Stuff happened, decisions I would never have made were taken, and at one point I decided I'd never want to live on this planet with these boring people. But I'm still hanging on to see what happens next.

-Derek

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Ep 2 was a little more interesting although I did find it strange that events all appeared to happen so quickly: they get the baby, turn around and thirty seconds later, the baby is in an incubator. They get the girl, walk about five feet and there's her mum, waiting for her. Was she watching them the whole time?
I'll give Ep 3 a go, but I'm really hoping this improves. So far the best thing is Liam Cunningham being cool.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Those people really, really need to get some vehicles.