Manuscript format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairies wear bOOts:)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good site that shows a VISUAL of the formatting.

I think I know most of the rules. I'm just confused as to weather the story is supposed to be started ON the title page, a few lines after your name, OR on the next page, some spaces down.

I believed it was the first way but online visuals showed me the second method was right...

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
No visual clues in this primer but helpful nonetheless. Nice colors, too.

By the way, every time I see the OP's username, I think of this song from long ago...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Either. Check the submission guidelines, however. If nothing is specified, you'll be okay choosing either one.

Philip64

sticking his oar in...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thiswriterstale.blogspot.com
Fonts: I've used Times Roman (11 pt) for years now (except on scripts, where courier is still the norm for reasons related to screen time calculation) and nobody has ever complained. I rarely see Courier these days: for a print-out intended primarily for reading - as opposed to copy editing - it typically uses up way more paper than necessary and produces very bulky manuscripts.

You don't have to use Times Roman. Book Antiqua and Bookman Old Style are also fine, especially if you're writing something a little bit gothic. Just make sure it's very clear and very readable.

In general I would say:
a. stick to 'true' fonts; so there won't be compatibility issues.
b. avoid fancy fonts, even for title pages.
c. be careful to keep margins wide enough that the text does not run to more characters/words per line than you would see in a normal paperback (long lines of type are hard on the eye).
d. Use 1.5 line spacing. Double spacing is really only desirable for a copy editor's copy. For a reading copy it's needlessly spaced out, in my view.

These days manuscripts are invariably delivered electronically. A print-out is a courtesy, and may not even be wanted. That means the reader can switch to double spacing at the flick of a mouse. He or she can change the font too, for that matter. That said, if you are submitting material for preliminary assessment, keep everything as plain as possible.

http://thiswriterstale.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.