Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
For those who are as hooked on Lost as I am,

I saw a "clue" of sorts in Desmond's library inside the hatch. In last week's episode he tells Jack and Locke that the Dharma Orientation film is on the bookshelf behind "Turn of the Screw." They check and pull out said book and find the film.

They very clearly show the cover of the book. I recognized it as "Dover Thrift Edition." These are slim volumes that cost $1 or $2. I ALSO remembered that they were fairly new when I worked at Waldenbooks in 1991.

I checked the copyright on amazon, and sure enough it is 1991. Amazon listing

Now here's the issue. The Dharma Initiative was begun in the 1970s, and then there was an "incident" and then they had to change it up so a button had to be pushed every 108 minutes. The film that describes this procedure was dated 1980.

The hatch has been situated on the island since the 1970s, over a decade before Dover published Turn of the Screw.

Is this a mistake by the producers? I don't think so. It has been discussed that nothing happens on that island by accident. The camera very clearly showed the cover of the book. It's a clue, but to what? How did that book get there?

allen

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking, if it's an important thing and not just a show mistake, that it has to do with Desmond being there. After all, he was off the island relatively recently, and when he came to the island, he was in a round-the-world race, so it could be his.

The bigger question is, if they didn't expect to be discovered by anyone except their "replacements", why did they feel the need to hide the Dharma orientation film? Why not keep it out, where the replacements could find it if they arrived too late and their predecessors were dead?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Yup. And why was he scrambling around trying to find parts to fix the computer? Who was he hiding them from? Oooh, and Jin speaks English. What's up with that?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Good points, writergirl. I didn't consider that Desmond had brought it with him. I think he said that his boat had crashed and Kelvin found him. I pretty much thought that Desmond didn't have much with him, especially books. He had a few odds and ends, but did he also have Turn of the Screw with him? I suppose it would make sense since book wouldn't weigh much as a Dover Thrift edition.

I don't have an answer for the second point. Judging by the amount of splices in the film Desmond and his predecessors probably had watched it hundreds of times. Maybe Desmond was just sick of seeing it out and put it away?

Jin speaking English must be a flashback of some sort. He is shown next to a modern desk lamp, plus there's a recessed ceiling light behind him.

allen

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
pcon, that's a good point. I've not read Turn of the Screw, and didn't know what it was about until I looked at the Amazon listing underthecity put up. It is interesting to note that it is that particular book, touted as one of the greatest ghost stories of all time, that was Desmond's choice of entertainment and choice of hiding spots. Are they trying to tell us something about the island, the experiment? It's been my hypothesis since the beginning that they're all dead, just ghosts, they just don't realize it yet. I'll admit, the birth of the baby did throw me for a loop, though...

But still...

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
WVWriterGirl said:
It's been my hypothesis since the beginning that they're all dead, just ghosts, they just don't realize it yet.

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think anything on the island is supernatural. I believe it has all been manufactured, and anything we have seen thus far will have an explanation behind it, even when Jack saw his father (wearing tennis shoes) and Claire saw an image of Walt.

Otherwise, wouldn't all be "just a dream?"

allen

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is all very interesting! I love Lost!!!

My daughter has this theory. She thinks Jack is hallucinating the whole thing the whole time. He is the first person shown when the first show opens. He is wounded and thrown pretty far from the plane in the jungle so perhaps he is the ONLY survivor of the plane crash. Everything else is his hallucination. (His dad, everything else.)

Mamawamba

Registered
Reaction score
The writers have said in no uncertain terms that they are not all dead, that this show is not the hallucination/dream of one of the characters, and that they know how everything ends and everything can be explained scientifically.

I'm a little addicted, too. I need to stop reading this thread, though, because I'm in Hawaii and it doesn't come on for another three and a half hours here.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
You think it's too late for me? Everyone... everyone has been talking about this series, so I finally watched it for the first time this week. Of course, I didn't understand much of what's going on. (Were there two different plane crashes? There seems to be a "new" group there, yes?) So... is it too late for me to really get into this series, you think?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
You think it's too late for me? Everyone... everyone has been talking about this series, so I finally watched it for the first time this week. Of course, I didn't understand much of what's going on. (Were there two different plane crashes? There seems to be a "new" group there, yes?) So... is it too late for me to really get into this series, you think?

Jenna, my son bought the DVD collection of all the Lost episodes from Season One. They are sold all in one package. If you bought that you could catch up on what's going on. Lost is my FAVORITE show!!!

Rose colored glasses

Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, the plane split in half when it crashed. Last season we only saw those on the front of the plane. Now they're introducing the group from the back of the plane.

I agree that you need to get the season one DVD. Otherwise you'll be, uh, lost.

It's not hard to get into it, though. I think the story lines have been even better this year than last.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Wow, Jenna, you have a lot of Lost watching to do. If you have a spare weekend, I'd recommend you put in disc 1 Saturday morning and kill your whole day watching it. I know you have lots of spare time, being a rich and successful author and all, and I'm sure you don't have much else to do on a Saturday.

Enjoy one of the best shows ever on TV (well, next to Star Trek).

Allen

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Are we still discussing what's going on, or are we waiting for Jenna to catch up? I have an enormous question about this week's episode and some theories, but I don't want to "spoil" it for anyone who's catching up.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I think at this point we can discuss whatever. After all, it does say "spoiler" in the title.

Please list your question and theories. Great episode this week. It seems there is something the new group of survivors is very frightened of. Their numbers have dwindled from 23 to ?. I also wonder what their bunker was used for, since it looks like it has long since been abandoned.

It was great having Charlie ask all the questions the audience was wondering. And it looked like Hurley was NOT happy about the button-pushing job.

allen

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it was the button pushing that had him down, it was being the food inventory-er that he didn't like.

Ok, if there were 20 or so of 'em, wth happened to the rest of 'em? And what's up with the bunker? Is it part of the dharma bunkers, or something completely different? gah!

henriette

Registered
Reaction score
i think "bernard's bunker" is a dharma bunker as the big fat logo was on the wall when they arrived. it might be connected to the rest.

i think "bernard's group" is falling ill, like the french woman spoke of, "the sickness". hence why desmond was shooting himself up with some sort of medicine.

did anyone else notice the dharma logo was on the tail of the dolphin/shark that tried to attack michael and sawyer on the raft?

the numbers scare me!

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Remember when Michael, Walt, Sawyer and Jin were all on the raft? There was a logo on Walt's life jacket that puzzled me until the second season. It was a swan. Did anyone else catch that?

Questions: Where did they get that life jacket? I am assuming it came from the plane, but if so, why would it have that logo on it? Is there a connection between that plane/airline and the Dharma project?

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose I missed it. Anne, what's the Dharma logo look like? I try to watch closely, but 8PM is my little one's bedtime, and by 9 he's just getting wound up for the second round of "excuses why Connor doesn't need to be in bed" and I tend to miss things...

Status
Not open for further replies.