Not open for further replies.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I know an author's 'statistics' will show where an author last posted (whether it was just chat/games/reference answers/SYW work), but I was wondering if there was any way it could show where an author last posted work to be read / critiqued, all in a link of it's own.

I know I can bring up all 'activiy threads'/ use search in the SYW forum / annoy the hell out of an author via pm or visitor message / follow links in their sig / look in the library, but...

Sometimes when I'm talking to an author, for example, in grammar and syntax, and I like how they're handling themselves, I first check through their statistics to see if they've posted any recent work. But it lists every post, in every thread they've been active in, and it takes some of the drive away.

Is there a possibility of a 'quick link' to work via profile without going through all statistics?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you subscribe to a lot of forums?

If not, you could subscribe to Share Your Work (I believe), and then do a advanced search by username and only look in subscribed forums. I think someone can subscribe to SYW, but since it's a password protected forum I'm not sure (I'd have to go look).

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Also in the statistics is a link to threads started, just below the all posts link. Hit that and scroll through to find the SYW items.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Interesting thought, maybe that is possible, methinks only the admins would know.

Right now I'd use the Search this Forum > Advanced Search option in SYW, specifying Search by User Name and Find Threads Started by User

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. If you're already logged into to SYW, you can do an Advanced Search by user (and by all sorts of other criteria if you'd like). That would just bring up their posts there. If you're not logged in to SYW, then that forum is not in the Advanced Search locations.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Also in the statistics is a link to threads started, just below the all posts link. Hit that and scroll through to find the SYW items.

Derek, if I click on my user name in this or any post, select View User Profile, and then select Statistics on my profile page, this is what I see as of my last post:

Total Posts: 1,885
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Last Post: Question about almost-parallel sentence pairing Today 08:20 AM
Find all posts by LaceWing
Find all threads started by LaceWing

And I get the same entries when I look at the statistics block on anyone's profile page. Is this not the usual?

But, never mind, because the searching is likely to be more effecient.

Last edited:

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Is there a possibility of a 'quick link' to work via profile without going through all statistics?

I doubt it. The "show all posts by this user" is a standard feature of vBulletin (the forum software) - adding a "show all posts in SYW" link would need extra web code to be written by someone, I suspect.

Deleted member 42

No. While it's technically quite possible, modifying the templates means modifying them again with every update, and then testing them in multiple browsers to see what has broken, and life is too short.

Derek's suggestion is a good one; if, after verifying that you have entry to SYW, you go to the profile of the member whose work you are interested in, then click the Statistics tab, then click Find All Threads, that link will include any threads they started in SYW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Thank you, everyone. It was just a thought. I guess I'm an impatient reader (grab a book a go). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.