PDA

View Full Version : Ever play Oregon Trail?

megoblocks
02-07-2011, 04:14 AM
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/02/03/oregon-trail-street-sign/

http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/oregontrailstreetsign.jpg

Kateness
02-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Oh, dysentery, how I loathed you.

When I was in social studies in 9th grade, we had to do an acting-out version of the oregon trail, to teach us...something. I'm not sure what.

I still managed to die of dysentery, just like I always did on the computer version.

BeatrixKiddo
02-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Wow, that's a blast from the past. I would have chosen #3.

megoblocks
02-07-2011, 04:29 PM
it makes me want to make some around where I live :)

alleycat
02-07-2011, 04:37 PM
We could come up with our own Oregon Trail type game here.

Choices could be "whited out".

shyne
02-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Oh the memories *dysentery influenced swoon*

deborahlea
02-09-2011, 08:20 AM
YES! I played Oregon Trail all the time in 5th grade.

This post made me so happy! :hooray:

kayleamay
02-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Well, I was raised Mormon, so playing Oregon Trail was considered a basic life skill. The first time I played, I think I died in twenty minutes. (That's like two weeks in Oregon Trail time). The second time, my husband and five of my seven children died, but I made it and ended working a mercantile.

Hmm...maybe this is why I'm an overprotective parent?

"Don't drink that! Go gather some berries! We need to make preserves! This winter is going to long and cold. I can feel it in my bones. You boys...you never listen. Circle the wagons and build us a fire before the sun goes down."

*pictures three boys circling Radio Flyers in the back yard*

knotane
02-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh the memories *dysentery influenced swoon*

I still picture a trail littered with the corpses of dead pioneers--victims of dysentery no doubt--stretching from Ohio to Oregon in a wagon, ox, and bonnet gore-fest.

Yes.

Thanks a lot, Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium. Your pixelated pioneer hell still features in my nightmares on occasion.

(j/k...seriously, I was forced to play that game in computer lab as a child... scarred)

tjwriter
02-09-2011, 07:21 PM
I loved that game.

Though I always felt bad about shooting bears because it was more meat than I could take with me.

Cella
02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I must be the only person to have not played this as a child.

We had a similar game, Gold Rush, I think it was, where everyone died of cholera.