digital photos = prints?

Dyerintherough

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here - hi!

I am writing my first screenplay, and have the MC as a photojournalist. She, at one point in the story, will be needing to make prints (actual paper photos) of her digital photography. In the old days of film, they did the dark room process. But how does a photographer make proper prints of their digital photos now? I want to make sure I get the process right.

thanks
Ursa

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on this, but there are printers made specifically to print photographs (from good to professional level). If she just needs to make some paper photos (say, to take to show someone), any high-quality printer would work.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Heck yeah, anyone can afford a color printer that makes high quality hardcopy from digital photographs. I'd expect a professional photojournalist to have a laser printer on hand, something above-average in cost and quality.

Many stores here have print stations -- you can insert the SDHC memory card from your camera, view the digital pics on the screen, and choose how many hardcopy prints you want. You don't have to print them all, just the pics you're interested in. The ones I've used have been Kodak.

-Derek

Dyerintherough

Registered
Reaction score
Hm, well, in this case, my MC is away from her main place of work and home city, and in a new city (London, England), and the prints are going to be for a photo retrospective for an art gallery showing. So they'll need to be large, and very good quality (she'd likely have interested buyers too, for the prints).

Then what would she do?

thanks
Ursa

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take them to a commercial printer, preferably one who specializes in this type of work. They will work with her if she needs any special techniques used.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If she's selling the prints, I suspect it will be typical for the artist to be involved in the printing process more so than if these were just commercial prints, as it would be for an artist making limited edition prints from a painting they've done. And she'd probably sign them.

Again, I'm no expert. I work with commercial printers all the time, but not for this type of thing. Someone will probably come along who is an expert; if not, I'll ask the printer guys I know.

Last edited: