PDA

View Full Version : Synopsis Game...

Zonk
10-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Just what we need, another AW game, :banana:

The idea is to write a short, one-paragraph synopsis of a book, myth, or 'bedtime story', and whoever guesses the story and author (if there is one) gets to be 'it' and write the next synopsis.

Ready?

The English pilot of a Dutch vessel is shipwrecked in 16th century Japan, and becomes a pawn in the great game between feuding warlords for control of the country.

:D:D:D

Albedo of Zero
10-12-2005, 08:17 AM
i have absolutely no idea but i'm guessing ShoGun

Zonk
10-12-2005, 11:18 AM
i have absolutely no idea but i'm guessing ShoGun

First try out of the box, albedo!:)

Your turn, LOL

Honey Nut Loop
10-12-2005, 02:02 PM
I came here to find out what a synosis was. :cool:

alleycat
10-12-2005, 03:16 PM
The English pilot of a Dutch vessel is shipwrecked in 16th century Japan, and becomes a pawn in the great game between feuding warlords for control of the country.

You're going to have to make it a little tougher than that.

ac

Zonk
10-12-2005, 05:37 PM
You're going to have to make it a little tougher than that.

ac

LOL. I thought I would start with an easy one.

Zonk
10-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Well, this one died a short and brutish death :ROFL:

Yeshanu, why don't you do us a favor and put this thread out of it's misery:flag:

Unique
10-20-2005, 02:29 AM
We were waiting for the next one.

Zonk
10-20-2005, 07:40 AM
We were waiting for the next one.

Albedo won, so it's his turn to come up with the synopsis; he never did, so I figured he kind of lost interest.

If he isn't, and you guys want to play, I'll do another one, and we can start again.

Yeshanu
10-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Yeshanu, why don't you do us a favor and put this thread out of it's misery

Unless the thread doesn't belong in the forum, I tend to let sinking ships, well, sink. Sometimes newbies will come along, read every thread in a forum, and revive an old thread that we thought was dead...

It ain't over 'till it's over.

awatkins
10-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Post another one, Zonk. Sounds fun.

alleycat
10-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Post, post, post away, Zonker.

ac

Zonk
10-21-2005, 03:06 AM
Ok :)

When a scientist violates the rules of man and God in an attempt to create life in his laboratory, the resulting experiment exacts a terrible price. Rejected by a horrified society, his tale is the quintessence of pride going before a fall.

triceretops
10-21-2005, 03:20 AM
Doc Jekell and Mr. Hyde?

Tri

awatkins
10-21-2005, 03:45 AM
Hey, they took my answers! :D

Eveningsdawn
10-21-2005, 05:16 AM
The Metamorphisis?

alleycat
10-21-2005, 05:21 AM
I think KTC is right. Either that, or Bill Gates's The Story of Microsoft.

Zonk
10-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Frankenstein?

Yay KTC!!!!!

First out of the box again!

Sorry to leave the game hanging. I was busy, check Office Party to see why.

So you're next, KTC. You're 'it' :)

alleycat
10-24-2005, 01:47 AM
I don't know it at all; or at least, I don't think I do. I don't know of a book or movie where all the clues would fit. But, that's just me. Zonk might; he just has a way of disappearing for a while and then showing back up. I guess he's out doing one of his drug deals!

awatkins
10-24-2005, 03:21 AM
You got me! I'm stuck. How about another clue? Or is that not allowed?

Shiraz
10-24-2005, 09:09 PM
She suffers the torment of bigotry and injustice of the south, only to realize the face of brutality and indifference lies within her own people, those she loves. Not until she endures a lifetime of labored challenge does she find the reward of self-worth and the family that was taken from her years ago.

Shiraz
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
and, please, let us know what the answer to the last one was.

awatkins
10-24-2005, 09:29 PM
The Color Purple?

Shiraz
10-24-2005, 09:32 PM
ding ding ding ding - we have a wiener! Too easy? OH well, I guess you're up!!

awatkins
10-24-2005, 09:40 PM
KTC, I know I should know that but it just won't dial up! What wuz it?

Eeeps...my turn. Be back in a bit. :D

awatkins
10-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Here we go:

A young man battles poverty and hunger while struggling to grow up with a loving, but severely alcoholic, father and a dysfunctional, depressed mother.

Shiraz
10-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Angela's Ashes?

awatkins
10-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Yup--you are correct. I was afraid that would be too easy!

Shiraz
10-25-2005, 04:37 AM
It was the happiest, and sadest, day of their lives. All the most treasured blessings had been bestowed on their new daughter, but sending her away after the christening would be the hardest, yet most unselfish thing they had ever done. They needed to save their precious child's life. This was their only option.

Shiraz
10-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Come on now, think back - it's EASY!

alleycat
10-27-2005, 05:50 PM
There's a basic problem with this game. If the other players are stuck and can't guess the answer, then the person who is "it" has no way of knowing when everyone has given up. Nor is there any way for the person who is "it" to provide help in the form of clues or whatever ("officially" at least).

I think we need to revise the rules. Hey, they did it for hockey, didn't they?

alleycat
10-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Here's my suggestion to improve the flow of the game. Instead of it being the "Synopsis Game", make it the "What book (or story) am I?"

The person who is "it" posts a basic synopsis.

The players can then either guess what book it is or ask a question about the book (but not both). The questions they ask should be directly related to the book; such as "What tiimeframe is the book?" or "What genre was the book".

The person who is it has to provide a truthful answer; however they are allowed to be less than forthcoming. For example, if the book is A Tale of Two Cities and someone asks "What was the final resolution of the book?" the person who is it can reply "Being so in love that you lose your head."

Any thoughts, anyone?

ac

DeniseK
10-27-2005, 09:14 PM
I think that's a good idea.

Shiraz, is your story Snow White?

Zonk
10-28-2005, 01:12 AM
Here's my suggestion to improve the flow of the game. Instead of it being the "Synopsis Game", make it the "What book (or story) am I?"

The person who is "it" posts a basic synopsis.

The players can then either guess what book it is or ask a question about the book (but not both). The questions they ask should be directly related to the book; such as "What tiimeframe is the book?" or "What genre was the book".

The person who is it has to provide a truthful answer; however they are allowed to be less than forthcoming. For example, if the book is A Tale of Two Cities and someone asks "What was the final resolution of the book?" the person who is it can reply "Being so in love that you lose your head."

Any thoughts, anyone?

ac

Works for me. If everyone agrees, I'll edit the first post so new players can understand the rules from the beginning.

alleycat
10-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Works for me. If everyone agrees, I'll edit the first post so new players can understand the rules from the beginning.

Feel free to modify my idea; it was merely a suggestion. Maybe a guess and a question at the same time should be allowed?

ac

Shiraz
10-28-2005, 06:56 PM
I think that's a good idea.

Shiraz, is your story Snow White?

Sarah: You're very very warm. But, Snow White is incorrect.

DeniseK
10-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I guess that means it is a fairy tale?

Shiraz
10-28-2005, 07:27 PM
I guess that means it is a fairy tale?

Yes

DeniseK
10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I am rusty on my fairy tales. Sleeping Beauty? If this is wrong, I give up. Someone else, help!

Shiraz
10-28-2005, 07:49 PM
That's it! Your turn. :Clap:

DeniseK
10-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Cool!:)

Ok,

No two high school sweethearts' passion could have been any greater. But neither could they have been more ill suited for each other, or so said our hero's father. Succumbing to daddy's influence and the power of his money, the young, handsome senior dumps his beautiful girlfriend, driving her to madness. Unfortunately, his life turns out nothing like he planned, and daddy takes a dive after losing his money in the stock market crash. Still, fate did not have a life together in the cards for our lovers, who each find love in highly unlikely places. A bittersweet reunion, however, reminds them that their love for each other will always be the sweetest they've known.

Shiraz
10-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Is this a contemporary book?

DeniseK
10-28-2005, 08:49 PM
No, it's an old movie. But ok, if the rules are that it has to be a book, then it was a book somewhere along the line!:idea:

alleycat
10-28-2005, 09:01 PM
The first part sounded like Splendor in the Grass, but I don't think that's right.

DeniseK
10-28-2005, 09:05 PM
oh, yes it is!:)

you are next, alleycat.

alleycat
10-28-2005, 09:34 PM
This is a classic book (although less read now than in previous days) where the protagonist is saved from certain death by the antagonist. The protagonist must then work for his keep under the watchful eye of the antagonist. The antagonist is a ruthless, brutal man who rules with an iron hand; while the protagonist is a smart, well-to-do gentleman. However, the antagonist is also a well-read, intelligent man beneath his rough exterior and can hold his own and more against the protagonist in their debates about the purpose of life. The protagonist comes to a deeper understanding of himself, although the journey is a dangerous one. He also find a kindred spirit in the form of a beautiful woman who is also under the antagonist's power.

alleycat
10-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Okay, maybe that one was too hard since no one has even ventured a guess in two days. It was The Sea Wolf.

I'll think of something else.

TemlynWriting
11-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Okay, I will try this out. I don't think I will be very good at it, but here goes!

A young neurotic woman falls into despair and funk after realizing how pointless it all is. Neither her ambivalent boyfriend, nor her agitated mother can help her. In the end there is only her movie star brother. He reels her in with ferocious wit and sarcasm, bringing her back from the brink of her own destruction.
Arrgghh--I need to come to this section of the forums more often. I knew this one!
Franny and Zooey, by J.D. Salinger, is one of my very favorite books!!! If you've never read it, read it NOW! :)

alleycat
11-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Someone else is more that welcome to post a synopsis. This game keeps wanting to die, so maybe it's better if we let it.

Beyondian
11-13-2005, 08:50 AM
A young French lawyer is angered by the murder of his friend, and subsequently takes on his friend's strongly held beliefs about the social system. The lawyer fights for these beliefs passionately, even though not holding them himself, and is forever seeking ways to take his revenge on the murderer of his friend. His adventures lead him to change his profession many many times throughout the book, and his perceptions of his relatives gets challenged.
(Hope this isn't too easy)

Beyondian
11-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Please tell me that somebody reads the same books as I do!

TormentedJewelry
12-27-2005, 06:53 AM
o.O'' It sounds SO familiar, arrrrghhh!!! I can't remember >.<

Beyondian
12-29-2005, 11:09 AM
It's still aliiiiiiiive :o
For those of you who were wondering - the synopsis was of Rafael Sabatini's Scaramouche.
Now, perhaps we should really let the poor thread rest in peace? :D

September skies
12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Okay people. Did I make this too difficult or did the thread just disappear? Anyone?

I'll take a shot at it:

"The life and times of KTC" ?:ROFL:

sorry Beyond - I'll let it rest in peace now.