Protect Life Act

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The controversy over "forcible rape" may be over, but now there's a new Republican-sponsored abortion bill in the House that pro-choice folks say may be worse: this time around, the new language would allow hospitals to let a pregnant woman die rather than perform the abortion that would save her life.

The bill, known currently as H.R. 358 or the "Protect Life Act," would amend the 2010 health care reform law that would modify the way Obamacare deals with abortion coverage. Much of its language is modeled on the so-called Stupak Amendment, an anti-abortion provision pro-life Democrats attempted to insert into the reform law during the health care debate last year. But critics say a new language inserted into the bill just this week would go far beyond Stupak, allowing hospitals that receive federal funds but are opposed to abortions to turn away women in need of emergency pregnancy termination to save their lives.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...t-women-die-instead-of-having-an-abortion.php

Here's the actual wording of the bill:
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h358/show

As the law is right now, a doctor working for a hospital that receives federal funding can't turn away a patient who's in critical condition, regardless of any other circumstances. In the case of an abortion, the doctor would at least have to stabilize the woman until another doctor that will perform the emergency abortion can get to her.

Under this act, they can simply turn away a woman in need of an emergency abortion without giving her any aid what so ever. And if she dies, the doctor cannot be held liable for it. I seriously doubt that any doctor would actual do that, but the fact that it'd be legal is a bit disturbing.

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
Where in the bill does it say hospitals can turn away emergencies? The comments by others say it, but I'm not seeing it in the text (I do have 2 kids climbing on me atm and am about to run out the door, so I'm really just asking where :) )

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Prohibits a federal agency or program and any state or local government that receives federal financial assistance under PPACA from requiring any health plan created or regulated under PPACA to discriminate against any institutional or individual health care entity based on the entity's refusal to undergo training in the performance of induced abortions, require or provide such training, or refer for such training.
This is the part that means that a hospital receiving federal funding is allowed to have no one on staff able to give abortion and is allowed to refuse service to a woman in need of an abortion.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
um, what circumstances do you think someone comes in needing an emergency abortion?? are you talking about tubal-pregnancies? of course not. No doctor would refuse to treat a woman with such a condition. None! Are you talking about pregnancies where women have heart conditions and the pregnancy might put excess strain on their hearts? that's pretty rare and not exactly emergent.

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what the rage is about? Give me a situation where an "emergency abortion" is required. I can't think of one.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just going to say that until a bill like this also advocates the abolition of the death penalty, war, and lethal police actions, the entire name of it is a farce.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
um, what circumstances do you think someone comes in needing an emergency abortion?? are you talking about tubal-pregnancies? of course not. No doctor would refuse to treat a woman with such a condition. None!

Do you have proof of that claim which you can link to?

Are you talking about pregnancies where women have heart conditions and the pregnancy might put excess strain on their hearts? that's pretty rare and not exactly emergent.
Are you a doctor of emergency medicine or an OB/GYN?

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what the rage is about? Give me a situation where an "emergency abortion" is required. I can't think of one.
Then why the need for a bill which excludes such procedures?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Do you have proof of that claim which you can link to?

Do I really need one? A tubal pregnancy is not a viable pregnancy. The egg has not implanted.

Are you a doctor of emergency medicine or an OB/GYN?

No. Which is why I asked, "what circumstances do you think someone comes in needing an emergency abortion??"

Then why the need for a bill which excludes such procedures?
[/quote]

As I understand it, the bill is just saying that state-funded facilities are not required to force their doctors to perform abortions. Am I missing something?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking Opty might be talking about the claim that "no doctor would refuse to treat" a tubal pregnancy in this instance.

I've heard stories otherwise...I'll see if I can dig 'em up. In any event, when we make claims in these parts, we like to see cites to back 'em, if for no other reason than we're not going on assumptions, but shared facts.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Do I really need one? A tubal pregnancy is not a viable pregnancy. The egg has not implanted.
Cranky already got this one. See above.

No. Which is why I asked, "what circumstances do you think someone comes in needing an emergency abortion??"
You took my question out of context. It was referring to your claims regarding the rarity and emergent status of pregnancy-involved heart conditions.

As I understand it, the bill is just saying that state-funded facilities are not required to force their doctors to perform abortions. Am I missing something?
Yes.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Cranky already got this one. See above.

You took my question out of context. It was referring to your claims regarding the rarity and emergent status of pregnancy-involved heart conditions.

You didn't ask for a link for the part about the heart, you asked for it for tubal pregnancies. So that was your mistake, not mine.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Even the staunchest of pro-life advocates would never bar a dying woman from a hospital -- unless they were flat out crazy pro-life advocates.

These are the ones I'm afraid of. We have a state representative in Wyoming who, I'm VERY afraid, is that crazy self-serving.

This is disgusting.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
You didn't quote the part about the heart. So that was your mistake, not mine.
Huh? I'm not sure you're reading what was actually in my post. I quoted you word-for-word.

You made a claim that, "pregnancies where women have heart conditions and the pregnancy might put excess strain on their hearts" are "pretty rare and not exactly emergent."

Grammatically, your statement is saying that "All pregnancies where woman have heart conditions [where] the pregnancy might put excess strain on their hearts" are "pretty rare and not exactly emergent."

I was just wondering what your qualifications were for making such a sweeping medical judgment or if you could cite some sources which back that claim up.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
*shakes head* - okay - whatever.
I'm not sure why you're shaking your head, unless it's in agreement with me.

The article DOESN'T back up your claim.

Perhaps you haven't actually read the article?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you're shaking your head, unless it's in agreement with me.

The article DOESN'T back up your claim.

Perhaps you haven't actually read the article?

Opty, ectopic pregnancies aren't viable pregnancies. Refusing to treat on the grounds that you oppose abortion doesn't make sense. Doctors aren't stupid.

How about you find a condition where "emergency abortions" are required for the survival of the woman? In the meantime, here's an article on heart-conditions and pregnancy. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy/PR00124

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
Not to but in on the conversation, but, isn't Pre-eclampsia life threatening to a pregnant woman? May be cause for a life saving abortion?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Opty, ectopic pregnancies aren't viable pregnancies. Refusing to treat on the grounds that you oppose abortion doesn't make sense. Doctors aren't stupid.
And there's where your argument falls apart. You're basing it all on your personal assumption that there are no doctors out there with extremist viewpoints which influence their behavior. It's a statistical improbability that likely would be impossible for you to prove.

Also, your original claim was that "No doctor would refuse to treat a woman with [a tubal pregnancy]." You didn't qualify it by saying that "no doctor" would refuse to treat it based on their views of abortion.

How about you find a condition where "emergency abortions" are required for the survival of the woman? In the meantime, here's an article on heart-conditions and pregnancy. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy/PR00124
Why? I'm not a trained medical professional and I wouldn't assume that reading one article furiously googled on the internet would make me any kind of an expert on the various medical complications that can present in individual patients during pregnancy.

Again, your grammatically implied assertion that no such case exists or would exist is a statistical improbability that you cannot prove.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I can imagine a scenario where a woman's life is at risk, from conditions not steming from the pregnancy, but exacerbated by it.

The safest route might well be to terminate the pregnancy. There might also be treatment that would hopefully save both mother and child, but that would involve more risk to the mother.

Hopefully the doctor would explain the options, and the woman would then make her decision about what to do.

In seems that in the case of this bill, a doctor could refuse to treat, or what's more likely, not explain the options at all.

I would guess these would be rare circumstances, but if it's happening to you, the statistical rarity is irrelevant.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
And there's where your argument falls apart. You're basing it all on your personal assumption that there are no doctors out there with extremist viewpoints which influence their behavior. It's a statistical improbability that likely would be impossible for you to prove.

Why? I'm not a trained medical professional and I wouldn't assume that reading one article furiously googled on the internet would make me any kind of an expert on the various medical complications that can present in individual patients during pregnancy.

Again, your grammatically implied assertion that no such case exists or would exist is a statistical improbability that you cannot prove.

Okay opty - I guess ANYTHING is possible, right? whatever you say.

The op seemed to be implying that there was some horrifying bill about to be passed that would have women arriving at ER's in need of abortions or their lives would be lost. I said, really? And what conditions would those be? There are several doctors on AW. Perhaps they'll come here and set me straight.