riding a motorbike one handed?

quixotic!fantastic!

o dulcinea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pittsinstitute.webs.com
Can you ride a motorbike one-handed, proficiently?

A motorcycle?

My character has extremely limited use of her right arm and hand. She would be able to hold on with her right hand, but it'd be precarious. The thing has almost no muscle in it and she can't feel it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet they make special equipment for motorcycles for the handicapped just like they do for cars.

I would think about maybe making it a scooter, like a Vespa.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's going to need something custom I believe (the right handlebar has the throttle and front brake lever). Can she do it herself with parts ordered?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It has to be the right hand? It would be a little easier if it were the left.

The left handlebar usually has the clutch lever, but some of the scooters have automatic transmissions now (I've never ridden one, so I can't tell you anything about them).

I've never heard of a "left handed" bike. I think that would be odd, like having a left-handed and right-handed car for the same country. But I'm not sure; maybe they do. Someone else will know.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey QF,

As AC said, a motorbike's throttle and front brake is controlled by the right hand. But I think that you can get a foot throttle kit. So with that, your character just has to use her feet to speed up and slow down.

The only drawback I can see is that, physically, your character might be unable to just get the bike off its stand. And it'd need an electronic ignition too. Kickstarting would be a no-go.

So a trike might be better. Failing that, a car would be best.

Regards

Whacko

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
She's not particularly social and not too up to the idea of getting anything specially made just because of her arm. Does anyone know how she could do it herself to make it work?
The only way the character in your scenario can make this work is to have the bike customized.

It doesn't make her weak. If anything, the fact she found a way to ride despite her handicap makes her a tough cookie, in my opinion.

Lyx

ETA: Of course, she could do the work herself, which would really speak to her character. Either way, it has to be customized.

Last edited:

quixotic!fantastic!

o dulcinea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pittsinstitute.webs.com
This is all GREAT to know - thank you guys so much! I'm thinking now the customization route, and I could have someone make it FOR her (it's not so much as she feels weak, she's just hyper intense about trying not to draw ANY attention to her arm).

So . . .what I'm getting is that it would need a foot throttle, electric ignition, and a left handed brake lever.

Is there anything I'm missing? Would she need some sort of weight adjustment to the bike since she'd be doing basically all of the steering with her left hand?

Thanks again!!!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I Googled early and found sites that had the stuff to customize a bike for the handicapped. I didn't bookmark them.

One thing that might make it easier for your character is that some of the folks who do the customization are handicapped themselves, so the character might not feel as awkward about asking for help.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNtfAz7Lbio

Thought this was interesting.

I don't even think you'd need to over-explain this either. Just a brief mention of how she had to install all the controls on one handle and re-route the brake and clutch cables or something. And on the balance thing, she'd just have to learn to adjust her body position to adapt/compensate for different maneuvers.

Lyx