PDA

View Full Version : Any knitters in the house?

Pages : [1] 2

LivingDork
02-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Since I saw a gardening post in here, and there's no arts&crafts section, this thread seems the most appropriate for domesticity-related questions.
:)

I'm just wondering if there are any other writers with a passion for knitting floating around in this forum. What I'm wondering is whether anyone else makes projects inspired by their characters? Or, conversely, if you knit projects inspired by movies and books you like?

Examples of this could include, for example, a Harry Potter house scarf, any of the many knit projects featured in the Twilight movies (Scoff if you must, but some of those patterns, like Rosalie's hat, are pretty cool-looking!), the Scott Pilgrim snail hat, a Doctor Who scarf, anything with a Star Wars or Star Trek insignia added, or modeled after a character, like a hat with Yoda ears. (And yes, I have made everything on this list myself, LOL).

My story has taken me into the winter months, and I can't help but imagine specific styles on my characters. Is it weird to knit something for an imaginary character?

icerose
02-05-2011, 07:12 PM
I tried to knit once, it was supposed to be a washcloth. It ended up looking something like this:

It finally leveled out in the end but the first half of it grew with each new row. I am playing around with a knitting dolly, that's fun making those cords. I do want to learn how to knit again and try some harder projects now that I'm older. I do a fair bit of crocheting but no patterns or anything fancy. I'm a visual learner so unless I can see the stitch I can't do it. And I can't follow written patterns with the symbols. Those might as well be morse code for how well I can read them.

trocadero
02-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't knit at all, but I think the idea of knitting something for your characters is amazing! What an interesting way into your characters' lives:)

kikazaru
02-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Ha Icerose, your dishcloth looks exactly like the baby blanket I once crocheted - I kept forgetting to work "up" at each end. The "baby" was 16 by the time I finished it.

I used to knit a fair bit. I hated following patterns so I'd find a sweater I liked the proportions of, and then just use that as a pattern rather than reading one. Now I find that I've gotten away from it but I still have enough yarn to open a shop. When I do knit I do so to keep my mind occupied and it's small projects like dishcloths, scarves and I've been gearing up (for almost 2 years) to make a shawl with some fabulous Bernat yarn I got on sale - shades of blue and black with huge slubs. There are just not enough hours in the day.

MaryMumsy
02-06-2011, 02:32 AM
I don't knit (I know how, I just don't enjoy it) but I crochet a lot. There is a member around here somewhere called K1P1 who has written and published at least two knitting books.

MM

MissMacchiato
02-06-2011, 02:57 AM
I knit and crochet. I haven't made anything inspired by my characters but I have made several items from the Harry potter movies - an enormous gryffindor scarf and a hat worn by hermione in one of the movies. It's an interesting question, I have no idea what my characters would wear. I'll have to think!

Thump
02-06-2011, 03:04 AM
I taught myself to knit so I could make myself a gryffindor scarf >__< that was before I could discriminate between acrylics and proper yarn...

I love knitting, so gar I've made socks for all my family, wristlets for a sis, cardi for mom and vest for myself.
I haven't been knitting much lately, but I also havent been writing much either >_<

LivingDork
02-06-2011, 03:23 AM
To Thump: How heartbreaking, to go through the work of making a huge house scarf and then realize after it was done that acrylics, while beautiful for color, are not the same thing as wool.

Also, my current WIP is a shadow knitting piece of David Tennant as the Doctor with a sonic screwdriver. I am a massive dork.

TO MissM: Is is that lovely grey eyelet one? If so, I have made covetous eyes at that hat many times.

MaryM: I crochet too, but knitting is my true fiber love. I'll have to look around for the knitting writer.

MissMacchiato
02-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Lol, yes, the grey eyelet one! It's a free online pattern actually, I can post the link if anyone wants it. It was a surprisingly easy knit.

My gryffindor scarf is acrylic, it would have cost hundreds of dollars if it was wool, since it's about 6 feet long, and double thickness *grin*

Lauretta
02-06-2011, 04:38 AM
I love knitting! I made 2 hats, 2 scarfs and 1 purse so far since last September. I'm a member of Ravelry which I find great for projects, help and such!

JanDarby
02-06-2011, 04:58 AM
I knit. Mostly charity pojects -- kids' mittens at Christmas time, preemie caps and chemo caps the rest of the year.

I hadn't included knitting in any of my previous projects, but I'm working on a post-apocalyptic mystery, and recently decided the protagonist would be a knitter, in addition to her other traits. It seemed like a good (and necessary) post-apocalyptic activity. Except I don't think she's going to have access to all the nifty yarns that are available now, so it'll be more a survival thing than a fun thing.

VP_Benni
02-06-2011, 07:20 AM
I knit and crochet A LOT... I've been able to crochet since I was seven, and knit since I was eight, so not quite a decade... I've been looking up new patterns to try all day actually, so it's kinda funny that I stumbled across this thread... :D

~Amber~

muravyets
02-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Chalk up another knitter here. :) I haven't been doing it as much as I'd like lately, but I like to experiment, go off pattern. My last project was a reversible cable scarf that came out really nicely, and before that a no-pattern cabled poncho out of this WONDERFUL hand-dyed baby alpaca that I got as a present. This year's birthday present was this *swoon* gorgeous *swoon* Malabrigo merino mix that I can't wait to find a project for.

I haven't joined Ravelry, but my mom practically lives on it. She's one of those knitters who know all the Noro colors by number. ;)

ETA: I haven't worked knitting into any of my stories, but I'm thinking about it. I write magical fantasy and horror inspired by folklore, and there're so many textile references in folk tales. Sleeping Beauty and her spindle. The Six Swans with the magical shirts made from nettles - I'm convinced those shirts are knitted. I have instructions for knitting closed pockets for including good luck charms into knitted fabrics, and other things. Yeah, I need to work on that.

ETA2: In fact... *gets an idea and makes a quick change to WIP* Thanks for the inspiration! :D

LivingDork
02-07-2011, 03:29 AM
To Laura: Thank you for mentioning ravelry! It's such an amazing resource!

To Murayvets: Ravelry is heaven! That grey eyelet hat pattern she's talking about? On there. My Dr. Who shadow piece? Same thing. Knitting nettles? Whoboy, your hands would be swollen! I've been trying to add little hidden pockets in hats and things, and they often turn out lumpy. :(

To JanDarby: That's kind of where I am. I feel like knitting is a very practical hobby to have, especially in Michigan. Even more so in a post-apocalyptic setting, right?

To Miss M: There is one other kntting resource you need, and that is Knitpicks! Throw that in your search window and check out their wool of the andes. I made a scarf that sounds quite similar to yours for about $30. That's way more than acrylic would have cost, of course, but darn reasonable for wool.

Yasaibatake
02-07-2011, 04:55 AM
*raises hand timidly* I'm learning how to knit, do I count?

Okay, so I technically learned back in high school. A friend taught me how to cast-on and the knit stitch, but then she moved. I had to Google how to bind off :) I made a bookmark first because it was small and very non-threatening. I moved onto making a few plain scarves when I was in college because I figured they were just bigger bookmarks :D Then I dropped it for a little bit and now I'm coming back to it. My ambitions are soooooo much bigger than my abilities at the moment, but that's how you learn, right?

VP_Benni
02-07-2011, 05:05 AM
*raises hand timidly* I'm learning how to knit, do I count?

Okay, so I technically learned back in high school. A friend taught me how to cast-on and the knit stitch, but then she moved. I had to Google how to bind off :) I made a bookmark first because it was small and very non-threatening. I moved onto making a few plain scarves when I was in college because I figured they were just bigger bookmarks :D Then I dropped it for a little bit and now I'm coming back to it. My ambitions are soooooo much bigger than my abilities at the moment, but that's how you learn, right?

As long as you know how to hold the needles and attempt to make the yarn sort of look like something, I'd say you count. :D

~Amber~

Yasaibatake
02-07-2011, 05:14 AM
As long as you know how to hold the needles and attempt to make the yarn sort of look like something, I'd say you count. :D

~Amber~

That is an eerily accurate description of my knitting! :) heehee

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-07-2011, 05:23 AM
I used to knit, and probably made one or two pot holders - by accident or design.

There... now this thread is cooking related. Carry on. ;)

VP_Benni
02-07-2011, 05:25 AM
I used to knit, and probably made one or two pot holders - by accident or design.

There... now this thread is cooking related. Carry on. ;)

I made dishcloths for my mom to wash the dishes with. :D Does that count as cooking related? Lol

~Amber~

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-07-2011, 05:30 AM
You bet. :)

Cranky
02-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Knitter here, too. :) I always have at least one dishcloth on the needles, heh. It's probably the most useful skill I've picked up besides computers and cooking, and I'm dead serious about that.

Socks, dishcloths, hats (when you've got little people, they always go missing!), stuff like that. I keep meaning to knit a proper pair of oven mitts, but I can't seem to figure out how to knit in the round on double points worth a damn, so until I can find a pattern worked flat that I like, I'll just make do with machine made ones.

VP_Benni
02-07-2011, 05:46 AM
I keep meaning to knit a proper pair of oven mitts, but I can't seem to figure out how to knit in the round on double points worth a damn, so until I can find a pattern worked flat that I like, I'll just make do with machine made ones.

I'm with you on the double points. =/ I'm using them right now, actually, but it took me a few minutes to remember how to do it... It gets easier once you have a few rounds done, but if you're not careful in the beginning it can look like a mess...

~Amber~

LivingDork
02-08-2011, 06:25 PM
TO Cranky and Vampyre Pricess: DPNs (double-point needles) and circular knitting is WAY easier than you think! I put off learning it for almost 6 months, but once I did, it was a breeze.
Hint: It's almost impossible to cast on with DPNs. Use a straight needle or circulars when you cast on, and add one stitch. If your hat pattern calls for 90 stitches, you'll end up with 91 on the needle. Then, you carefully distribute them evenly between your needles (or just even them out on the circulars, checking to make sure it isn't twisted). One needle will have an extra stitch. You'll slip the extra, last stitch you made from the needle it's on to the one directly next to it. Then, you'll lift the stitch behind it over and off, as though you were doing a standard bind-off, but just for the one stitch. Viola! You have a circular piece! Now you just have to follow the pattern! A place marker/row counter will definitely come in handy! There are some really helpful youtube videos, too! (Also, of course, Ravelry!)

I recommend cables, too, as something that looks impressive but is actually shocking simple to do. :) Color knitting really is APIMA.

sammyig
02-08-2011, 06:52 PM
I knit and crochet too.

I've been making Harry Potter scarves for a long time. Recently I made a werewolf hat from the vampire knits book- it was really easy, cute, and fun.

VP_Benni
02-08-2011, 07:45 PM
TO Cranky and Vampyre Pricess: DPNs (double-point needles) and circular knitting is WAY easier than you think! I put off learning it for almost 6 months, but once I did, it was a breeze.
Hint: It's almost impossible to cast on with DPNs. Use a straight needle or circulars when you cast on, and add one stitch. If your hat pattern calls for 90 stitches, you'll end up with 91 on the needle. Then, you carefully distribute them evenly between your needles (or just even them out on the circulars, checking to make sure it isn't twisted). One needle will have an extra stitch. You'll slip the extra, last stitch you made from the needle it's on to the one directly next to it. Then, you'll lift the stitch behind it over and off, as though you were doing a standard bind-off, but just for the one stitch. Viola! You have a circular piece! Now you just have to follow the pattern! A place marker/row counter will definitely come in handy! There are some really helpful youtube videos, too! (Also, of course, Ravelry!)

I recommend cables, too, as something that looks impressive but is actually shocking simple to do. :) Color knitting really is APIMA.

After about 600 tries, I managed to get something to not look terrible on the double pointed needles. :tongue It wasn't as hard as I thought, but with only six stitches to work with on the first round, it was a little confusing... >.< Never thought about slipping an extra stitch over... Might try that soon :)
Cables are fun to work with! :D

~Amber~

Cranky
02-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Ha! Good tip, LivingDork! I knit on circulars and can join to knit in the round with no problem, actually. It's just that when I have to decrease to the point of needing dpn's...I'm hosed. I can't keep the stitches on the needles...they always slide right off. I've considered trying point protectors on the ones I'm not knitting from. That may be worth a go.

LivingDork
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah, those rubber stoppers you put in the end of your needles can be a lifesaver when working with DPNs. You can also do the cheap way: Each time you move to the next needle, take a second and fold down the needle you just completed, scrunching the stitches in the center of the needle and inserting the ends in the actual work. This means you can't see the points, as they are inside your WIP, you see a bit of needle, some stiches, a bit more needle, then it's back into your WIP. Does that make sense? :)
DPNs are like cat-bait too, which makes them even harder to work with, lol.

Vampyre Princess: If you like cables, you should check out Jared Flood's Brooklyn Tweed designs. I've made a dozen or so different colors of Habitat, and my hubby adores Koolhaus.

bip
02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm a knitter! I have the same username on Ravelry, so you can check out my FOs.

I'm currently working on two sweaters, stuck on both! You would think with all these snowstorms we've been having in New England, I'd be trapped inside long enough to actually sit down and figure out where I went wrong. I've been writing a lot instead, which I guess is a good thing! ... though the kid I'd intended the little pink sweater for has already outgrown it. She has a little sister, but SHE also outgrew it. And now I'm racing the growth of another friend's daughters. Either someone needs to have another baby girl or I need to finish this thing, lol.

dirtsider
02-08-2011, 11:53 PM
I crochet although I did learn to knit once upon a time. I'm part of a knitting/crocheting group that meets once a month. My ambition is to learn how to knit socks eventually. But my knitting group wants me to finish the project I'm working on (a large afgan for myself) so they can see it. So my sock ambition is currently on hold. My current MC's don't need to know how to knit but a future WIP might. lol

VP_Benni
02-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Vampyre Princess: If you like cables, you should check out Jared Flood's Brooklyn Tweed designs. I've made a dozen or so different colors of Habitat, and my hubby adores Koolhaus.

Thanks! :) I'll do that soon.

~Amber~

AZ_Dawn
02-09-2011, 03:57 AM
I loom knit; does that count? (Knifty Knitters, not knitting machines.) I mostly do simple hats, but I've done a few more complicated projects, like dog sweaters for a stuffed manatee and a tiger.

VP_Benni
02-09-2011, 04:09 AM
I loom knit; does that count? (Knifty Knitters, not knitting machines.) I mostly do simple hats, but I've done a few more complicated projects, like dog sweaters for a stuffed manatee and a tiger.

I think I have that lying around somewhere... :) Can't speak for anyone else, but it's a method of knitting so I say you count. :)

~Amber~

MissMacchiato
02-09-2011, 04:12 AM
you guys could always try the magic loop technique, as opposed to DPNs. It's way easier. Only two ends for the stitches to slide off.

I'm also on Rav. I'm Macchiatolove there. Same avatar at present!

writerterri
02-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I crochet. I tried knitting once and it turns out that I can knit forwards and backwards so I get confused and lose my place a lot. Knitting and pearling all look the same in the end. So, I gave up.

I crochet with the grace of a butterfly though.

writerterri
02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I didn't realize that the OP has a username of livingdork.

What a dork.

Dork. Means I really dig you. :D

Jamiekswriter
02-09-2011, 10:52 PM
::holds up her knitting needles:: I love to knit. I can't crochet for the life of me though, even though everyone tells me it's easier. LOL. I can chain all day long. It's the second row that gets me. I can never tell where to put the hook.

I mostly do scarves. I'm working on this really fun one right now that I got the pattern from Crazy Aunt Purl. http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/

Off the top of my head, you cast on 250 stitches on size 7 or 8 circular needles. (You won't be knitting in the round. You need the circs for the length.) Knit one row, leaving a long tail at both ends (that's the fringe). Then grab another yarn and repeat. It looks really funky especialy if you mix up ladder yarn, eyelash, boucle, bulky, etc. You only have to do 20 or 30 rows to get a decent width scarf and all the colors and styles of the yarn make it look very shi-shi fancy. :D

Cranky
02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
you guys could always try the magic loop technique, as opposed to DPNs. It's way easier. Only two ends for the stitches to slide off.

I'm also on Rav. I'm Macchiatolove there. Same avatar at present!

I'm considering it, when I have the extra money to invest in those super long circs. :) I can hear my hubby groaning already, lol.

Bubastes
02-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm considering it, when I have the extra money to invest in those super long circs. :) I can hear my hubby groaning already, lol.

Have you ever used Denise needles? Link: http://www.knitdenise.com/

I swear by these because they're so handy! I knit everything on circulars because it keeps the bulk of bigger projects, like sweaters, in my lap. Denise needles are great because one kit can make circulars of many different sizes without creating tons of clutter in my knitting box.

I really need to get back into serious knitting. I have a sweater front that needs a back and sleeves.

Cranky
02-09-2011, 11:01 PM
I've never used them, but I've seen and coveted. Oh yes, we likes it, we dooooooo. :D

Medievalist
02-09-2011, 11:43 PM
I keep trying, but I tend to do things backwards, including knitting.

I want to make these (http://www.sanguinegryphon.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_100&products_id=3012%3Cbr%20%3E%3C/a%3E).

Calla Lily
02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Medi, those are charted, so backwards knitting shouldn't matter.

VP_Benni
02-10-2011, 12:12 AM
I keep trying, but I tend to do things backwards, including knitting.

I want to make these (http://www.sanguinegryphon.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_100&products_id=3012%3Cbr%20%3E%3C/a%3E).

I knit and crochet left-handed, so technically I do everything backwards :D

Those are crazy socks. xD I love them!

~Amber~

AZ_Dawn
02-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Can't speak for anyone else, but it's a method of knitting so I say you count. :)

~Amber~
Ah, good! I kind of wondered if it counted, since it uses a hook. I never could do regular knitting, so I have a lot of respect for those who can. (Crocheters, too; I tried crochet once, but couldn't get beyond the "one long chain" phase.)

MissMacchiato
02-10-2011, 02:01 AM
ooh lala! those hwaet socks are incredible!

And magic loop doesn't need super long circs. You can do it with standard ones. The videos can make it seem like an exact science, but it's actually really easy apart from the join.

Any other AWers on Rav?

Medievalist
02-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Medi, those are charted, so backwards knitting shouldn't matter.

No no, you over estimate my knitting ability or under estimate my ability to screw up.

I need someone alive to sit next to me.

I think I know how to purl now . . .

Jersey Chick
02-10-2011, 03:21 AM
**raises hand**

I knit. I got bored one day a few years ago and decided to teach myself. I bought a book and the rest is history. I still have to look things up occasionally, but since that day I've knitted about a dozen blankets - my kids have them, anyone who's had a baby since Feb '08 has one. I made my MIL an Irish fisherman's blanket, which took me almost a year, but came out beautiful.

I'm working on a hat for my son now. Someday, I'm springing for alpaca wool and making me some socks. :D

VP_Benni
02-10-2011, 03:25 AM
No no, you over estimate my knitting ability or under estimate my ability to screw up.

I need someone alive to sit next to me.

I think I know how to purl now . . .

I had troubles purling when I first learned how to knit. I was 8 years old, and my aunt was having trouble teaching me because she's right-handed and I'm not. All of my purl stitches ended up looking like knit stitches. :Shrug:
What's really unfortunate was I really liked the way seed stitch looked, so every time I tried to do it I had to knit a stitch, turn the needles, knit a stitch like a right-handed person, turn the needles, knit a stitch, etc... It took me FOREVER just to get one row done... >.<
Don't worry, it gets easier. :)

~Amber~

Pomegranate
02-10-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm a knitter and I'm on Ravelry (Pomegranateseed). I've been knitting for about 6-7 years. Mostly socks, scarves, bags, and hats. I'm struggling with a sweater right now. It's just a simple top-down raglan, but it has a lace pattern on the yoke. Thank [insert diety of choice] for lifelines because I have ripped it back half a dozen times so far.

nevada
02-10-2011, 04:51 AM
i'm a knitter too and i'm on ravelry. I can knit left to right as well wich is helpful when doing entrelac so you don't keep having to turn your work after a few stiches.

My vice are the Addi Turbo Needles. God they're expensive but holy cow are they awesome.

I second the recommendation for www.knitpicks.com. I've done several things with their yarns, I love alpaca blends for example. Their yarn is extremely reasonable and of really good quality. They ship fast and they now have a colour line to rival Noro. I've worked with Noro which was nice but some of the balls had tons of knots in them so teh colourway was lost.

LivingDork
02-13-2011, 07:13 PM
AZ_Dawn: It sure does count! It's just a different tool for the same thing!

MissM: I am jealous, as I have not worked up the gumption to teach myself magic loop. I've got the book and the needles (and the project: a pair of Totoro intarsia mittens for my hubby), but I just keep putting it off. I'm sure it's like everything else in knitting: it looks so intimidating and then once you learn it, it's beyond simple. Oh,btw, I decided to make my own version of the hat in blue. You inspired me! :)

Cranky: If it helps you, I'm glad! I'm always fighting to keep my needles, as the cats think that they're toys.

Nevada: You and my husband both. I swear, he thinks he needs a set of addis for every project he knits, lol. Have you worked with their noro-like yarns? Does it stripe well? I love their yarn. I'm so broke, I couldn't knit if I had to shop at the LYS, because there's one and it's in the richest neighborhood in a 90 minutes radius.

nevada
02-14-2011, 08:57 AM
i have not tried the knitpicks noro yarns yet, but plan to for a scarf for a friend. they're not cheap, 8.99 a ball but there's almost 200 yds on a ball so i wont need much. but ll the other knitpick yarns have been awesome so i have faith.

for dpn's i find if you use bamboo needles they won't slide out. i dont like knitting with bamboo, way too slow after the addis but it's great if you dont want your needles to slip out.

MissMacchiato
02-14-2011, 08:59 AM
I can't use bamboo either. My bunny found a pair and took a chomp out of them.

I stick to metal now :)

CatSlave
02-17-2011, 02:48 AM
I knit and crochet both; very handy for gift-giving.
I'll use up my acrylic yarns for crazy-color crochet hats, granny-square afghans or potholders.
I also use the acrylics to teach myself more complicated knit patterns.

When I feel confident enough with my knitting skills, I'll attempt a scarf or shawl with my stash of exquisite Noro yarns.

CatSlave
02-17-2011, 03:16 AM
And I've invested in lovely hand-crafted wood knitting needs and crochet hooks.
It makes me feel like every stitch is a work of art.

Pomegranate
02-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Miss Macchiato - yesterday I saw an add for needles (straights and DPNs I think) that are made out of carbon fiber...just like the stealth bomber! They were very cool, and would be bunnyproof. But at about $35/set for dpns, they were a little rich for my blood.

MissMacchiato
02-18-2011, 05:14 AM
lol, pom! They sound awesome! How hardcore is that?

My bun would probably try it on though, just to make sure, lol

2luckyrocks
02-18-2011, 05:28 AM
I knit! I do! I will even admit, as long as we promise not to let this go beyond this thread, that I have a near identical vest as one worn by a Partridge Family member. :)

MaryMumsy
02-18-2011, 05:47 AM
And I've invested in lovely hand-crafted wood knitting needs and crochet hooks.
It makes me feel like every stitch is a work of art.

I invested in a beautiful hand carved wood crochet hook twenty some years ago. Then promptly snapped the carved top off due to the way I hold a hook. Glued it back on, and it has become a display piece. I also have three ivory hooks from waaay back when. Two were my grandmother's and one I bought in an antique store. I've never crocheted with any of them.

MM

CatSlave
02-18-2011, 07:38 AM
MM: I have flights of fancy sometimes.
I wonder if you would feel your grandmother's hands when you use her crochet hooks.
Maybe something of her remains with them.

My own mother has a talent for hand-crafting. I would love to tap into her talent somehow, even through osmosis.

mirandashell
03-10-2011, 01:43 AM
I didn't know about slipping the extra stitch either! That explains why I always get loose knitting at the place where there would be a seam in flat....

Nice one!

Jamiekswriter
03-10-2011, 01:47 AM
[QUOTE=CatSlave;5837981]MM: I have flights of fancy sometimes.
I wonder if you would feel your grandmother's hands when you use her crochet hooks.
Maybe something of her remains with them.
QUOTE]

What a lovely thought! I like this image :D

brainstorm77
03-12-2011, 11:55 PM
I tried and could not get the hand of it.

estyles
03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm to the point that I can't sit and do nothing without knitting. Just watching TV without anything in my hands feels like such a waste of time. And it's never just one project, there's the easy little thing to take with me, the living room knitting, the knitting in my bedroom for when I can't sleep, the TV knitting...

K1P1
03-24-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm just wondering if there are any other writers with a passion for knitting floating around in this forum. What I'm wondering is whether anyone else makes projects inspired by their characters? Or, conversely, if you knit projects inspired by movies and books you like?

Hmm. I knit. Definitely. Making projects inspired by my characters is an intriguing idea--except that I write knitting books.

So I 'm wondering, is there a way to invert that question? For example, do I ever think of writing a novel where my characters design handknit projects?

Yep, I'm on Ravelry - magsrags.
And I'm on Facebook: www.facebook.com/maggiesrags

CatSlave
03-24-2011, 08:39 AM
I checked out your Ravelry creations.
Wow, lovely!

CatSlave
03-31-2011, 12:15 PM
K1P1: I must get your books... I must get your books... I must get your books !!

crazynance
04-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Hi! I knit (sort of) and crochet. I just crocheted a clown made of circles on elastic, and I am knitting a 'calorimetry' hat/headband thing from knitty.com. My daughter loves it. Her friend knit her a heart, because she had a shirt that said I 'heart' zombies (but instead of <3 , it was a human heart). And her friend knit her a computer scarf.. you know, all 0's and 1's. My daughter got me re-interested in knitting when she bought the stitch and bitch books.

Quentin Nokov
04-24-2011, 02:35 AM
My sister crochets; she's trying to sell some of her scarves and hats. She actually made an afghan; she's really good. You can find her work on Deviant Art.

http://metoria.deviantart.com/gallery/29578949 (http://metoria.deviantart.com/)

I have a camouflage hat and scarf she made me. :) She crochets the apparel and I help cut the wood for winter. Lol. We all pull our weight around.

Rachel77
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
I knit! I'm currently making a sweater out of Malabrigo lace that's heavily adapted from a pattern in the current Knitscene.

Triphi
05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
I knit all the time! My second home is Ravelry, and these days I alternate my free time between writing my novel and writing up knitting patterns.

Side note: anyone else seriously wish Absolute Write would adopt Ravelry's message boards? I keep looking for the "agree", "disagree", etc. buttons....

Triphi
05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm to the point that I can't sit and do nothing without knitting. Just watching TV without anything in my hands feels like such a waste of time. And it's never just one project, there's the easy little thing to take with me, the living room knitting, the knitting in my bedroom for when I can't sleep, the TV knitting...

SO agree with this. I would knit in movie theaters if it didn't bug my husband.

Rachel77
05-12-2011, 05:40 AM
anyone else seriously wish Absolute Write would adopt Ravelry's message boards? I keep looking for the "agree", "disagree", etc. buttons....

Ravelry has spoiled me for every other forum. I keep wanting to click "agree", or "funny", and those buttons just aren't there...

crazynance
05-13-2011, 12:51 AM
My daughter and her friend were starting a trend: KIP : Knit in Public! :D

crazynance
05-13-2011, 10:34 PM
http://musthavecute.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/cute-kawaii-stuff-cheezburger-lover.jpg

I think this is sooooooo cute. Which reminds me, I'm about to knit a baby hippo toy for a friend. :)

missouridalton
05-25-2011, 10:04 PM
I knit. Currently I am struggling with the knitting of socks...

It does not help at all that my dear friend who was helping me knit the sock went on vacation.

crazynance
05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Wow I just found out that one of our friends' daughter has her own wool!
http://stdenisyarns.com/

pretty cool stuff!

CatSlave
06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
K1P1: Your book "The Essential Guide to Color Knitting" finally arrived yesterday. I'm SO jazzed! It's gorgeous.
Five Stars !!

crazynance
08-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Please check out this lady's blog post requesting help to make mittens for New Hampshire-ites:

http://bevq.blogspot.com/2011/08/mittens-for-nh.html

If you can knit or crochet, your efforts would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

dirtsider
09-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Found an interested book for knitters and crocheters. It's called From Fleece to Fiber. It's about different types of fleeces and has pictures of the types of fibers/yarns that can be spun from them. It has backgrounds on the different sheep, goats, and other animals the fleece came from. I picked it up and have only glanced through it so far. I'm currently working on some other books in my 'to read' pile. This one will have to wait for a bit.

moth
09-08-2011, 04:39 AM
Ooh, I love fibers. Still a newbie, still learning, but love them. I know a little of spinning from what my mom used to do (she got raw wool from my uncle's farm and cleaned, carded, spun it herself) and wish I'd paid more attention back then. Thanks for mentioning this book. I couldn't find the exact title tonight but I'll keep trying.

*adores alpacas, squishes them with much love*

And how did I not know that K1P1 (whose username makes so much more sense now that I knit :) ) had a book out? Just ordered it, and am so excited to see it!

CatSlave
09-08-2011, 04:46 AM
You'll love it. Five stars.

moth
09-17-2011, 07:08 PM
K1P1's book got here a few days ago. Absolutely love it!

I'm pursuing nefarious plans to enter the world of knitting design, and this is definitely a book I'll go back to over and over.

crazynance
09-24-2011, 03:49 AM
for quick baby shower gifts, I have been crocheting. I made a disk dolly (you put all the crocheted discs on an elastic string), a rabbit that looked like Piglet, and a circular blanket that looks like a seashell. Still got more babies arriving with friends, more to do!

ShaylaElla
09-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Another knitter here. Mostly I design and knit my own sweaters, though there's always the standard hats, mitts, scarves, washcloths and baby clothes. I save all my knitting for the winter season, when I see no sunlight from Sunday afternoon until Saturday morning. Ah, Canada. I teach a small knitting class during those cold, dreary months.

Anninyn
09-24-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm just learning. Like everyone, I've started with a scarf. It's dreadful: Too skinny, lumpy and it has holes. But each row is slightly better.

butterflykitty28
09-27-2011, 09:03 PM
My grandma taught me how to knit when i was 7 years old.. i am now 27 and i love knitting blankets for family members :)

moth
09-28-2011, 05:39 PM
I haven't tried a blanket yet, but it's on my (very long) list. :) I only just learned to knit a few years ago, and I love it. I've made a ton of things and have bought and read a ton of books. I'm working on my first sweater, for a 10 year old girl, and it's a good thing I have her right here in town to try it on as I go -- she's way smaller than the book's recommended size for her measurements.

Sure am glad I'm good at math...sleeve recalculations... :tongue

adm
01-03-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm a knitter. I like to knit socks and other small projects. I like the book Knitting from the top and attempted to make a sweater using this method - but I ran out of yarn and had to frog (for knitting newbies that means ripping out your work - frog = "rip it, rip it" ) and started a vest instead

adm
01-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Miss Macchiato - yesterday I saw an add for needles (straights and DPNs I think) that are made out of carbon fiber...just like the stealth bomber! They were very cool, and would be bunnyproof. But at about $35/set for dpns, they were a little rich for my blood.

I just googled these - very cool needles, but I agree they are little too much $$ right now. thanks for posting!

SummerSurf57
01-04-2012, 03:39 PM
My sister likes knitting. I personally hate it, but she likes all that arty stuff - sewing, knitting, the such. She's made socks, cardigans, jackets, baby bootees, baby clothes, rag dolls, teddies - even a pair of slippers once.

Niiicola
02-03-2012, 06:21 PM
I recently made Lyra's winter hat from The Golden Compass movie for my daughter. On size 19 needles (!!!!). I haven't ever knit anything I think my characters would have worn, but I do have a hand-knit scarf in my current WIP. It's kind of my own inside joke.

Also, I find that writing is getting in the way of my knitting habit lately :(

tiny
02-26-2012, 09:32 AM
I just really learned to knit over the past two months mainly because I saw a Christmas stocking I wanted but refused to pay the money for.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/430988_327487247287269_100000779892679_809800_1858 829502_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/390351_299446306758030_100000779892679_742733_9766 04784_n.jpg

moth
02-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Those look great! You're doing really well. Love the Fair Isle. :Thumbs: Was it strange to work the chart upside down?

tiny
02-26-2012, 07:02 PM
No, it was actually very easy after a few false starts when I realized I'd started from the top. Problem with that stocking is I found I was twisting all the stitches causing it to be very stiff. I've fixed that problem so I need to start again on the patterned pieces. I'm just really amazed with cables right now. They're so much easier than they look.

Cranky
02-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah, cables are *much* easier than they appear to be. Love them!

I still can't figure out socks on double points, though. I bought a sock loom, and I'm gonna give it a go. May try magic loop. I want a pair of skull socks like yours, tiny. :)

tiny
02-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Double points are a must for socks when you get to the toe though they make turning the heel easier. But, if you get a set of five instead of four, they're easier to use I think. Just keep an like number on each needle and Bob's your uncle. Oh and I prefer bamboo needles now. So much easier than the metal ones. They're warm, they've got a little grab, and they're just cool. :D

I still haven't made any wearing socks, just stockings. Yep, I'm making Christmas stockings. Little early, but everyone will get one when the holiday rolls around.

moth
02-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Totally agree about preferring wood over metal. I usually use KP Harmonies. I also magic loop everything, even small stuff. I made a few amigurumi bunnies last Easter, and even when the rounds got down to 8 sts I still magic looped it. Basically for small stuff in the round you have to choose your poison -- deal with an unwieldy cable or with many extra needle points? :) I've done both and it's unwieldy cables for me.

I used to have the twisted-stitch issue too -- I was wrapping my purls backwards (didn't know it at the time though) and then not knitting them through the back loop to untwist them. It felt wrong and weird and I didn't like the fabric I was getting, but I had no clue what was wrong or how to fix it. The day I found out what combination knitting was, I said "a-HA!" and cured myself of my backwards purls. I know some people do combination knitting on purpose but for me it doesn't work.

Cranky, maybe I've been living in a cave or something but I've never heard of a sock loom. Is it for knitting or for weaving?

moth
02-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Yep, I'm making Christmas stockings. Little early, but everyone will get one when the holiday rolls around.

Forgot to say, starting Christmas knitting now definitely doesn't sound too early! :D

tiny
02-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Because I'm knitting on circular needles right now, I wrap the yarn so the loop is the right direction to knit through easily (my knits and purls are going different directions on the needles). It causes problems when I'm trying to learn some of the fancier stitches but I'm really focused on cables and Fair Isle so it's not such a bad deal.

I thought about the loom, but I really like the idea of the needles. It fascinates me to use sticks to make fabric. I have a five gallon bucket with one of those organizers for tools that I keep all my stuff in and I've found I'm a bit of a yarn hound. I love having all the colors I can find in cotton, but I so love knitting with wool. I'm working on a hat in wool for the husband and it's so nice to knit with.

Oh and I use jump rings as stitch markers because I found the ones they sold in the knitting section are just too big. Grommets from the hardware store are great for sticking on the ends of the needs, too.

Cranky
02-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Totally agree about preferring wood over metal. I usually use KP Harmonies. I also magic loop everything, even small stuff. I made a few amigurumi bunnies last Easter, and even when the rounds got down to 8 sts I still magic looped it. Basically for small stuff in the round you have to choose your poison -- deal with an unwieldy cable or with many extra needle points? :) I've done both and it's unwieldy cables for me.

I used to have the twisted-stitch issue too -- I was wrapping my purls backwards (didn't know it at the time though) and then not knitting them through the back loop to untwist them. It felt wrong and weird and I didn't like the fabric I was getting, but I had no clue what was wrong or how to fix it. The day I found out what combination knitting was, I said "a-HA!" and cured myself of my backwards purls. I know some people do combination knitting on purpose but for me it doesn't work.

Cranky, maybe I've been living in a cave or something but I've never heard of a sock loom. Is it for knitting or for weaving?

This is a knitting loom. Which, yeah, sounds weird. But it's adjustable, etc., and I plan to take a run at it later this week. :)

Tiny, I do prefer needles, too, but no amount of juggling (five needles or four) seemed to work for me. I can use double points to finish off a hat, but it's nerve wracking stuff, heh. I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I like circulars, so I'll try magic loop next, plus the loom.

Also, put me down for bamboo as well. Unless we're talking tiny gauge yarn and lace patterns. :eek:

moth
02-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Ack, lace. No desire to try lace at all.

It fascinates me to use sticks to make fabric.
Me too! :D

For stitch markers I use little girls' hair elastics. I got hundreds of them, in three different sizes in one package, for a couple of bucks at a drugstore. They came in separate size-compartments in the package and I just dumped each size into its own tiny plastic lidded box (those were 10 for a buck at the dollar store). Colorful and snagless and cheap! So I don't need to worry if I lose any.

Cranky, I think I do know what you mean...I've seen knitting looms with pegs to hold the yarn and a little tool for lifting loops to make the stitches (I think). I just didn't know you could make socks with them. I hope you have fun with it when you try it out! :)

angeluscado
02-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Ooh, ooh, I wanna join the knitting club!

I've got way too many projects on the go - the main one right now is an infinity scarf for my sister. She picked out the yarn - Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca in Grey. Sooo nice, kind of expensive, but I'll do pretty much anything for that kid.

I love lace knitting over pretty much anything and I like using teeny tiny yarn on teeny tiny needles. My favorite knitting book is DomiKNITrix - lots of cool projects and charts and I'm kind of itching to make something from it again.

moth
03-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Ooh, ooh, I wanna join the knitting club!

I've got way too many projects on the go - the main one right now is an infinity scarf for my sister. She picked out the yarn - Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca in Grey. Sooo nice, kind of expensive, but I'll do pretty much anything for that kid.

I love lace knitting over pretty much anything and I like using teeny tiny yarn on teeny tiny needles. My favorite knitting book is DomiKNITrix - lots of cool projects and charts and I'm kind of itching to make something from it again.
Ooh, alpaca...haven't worked with it yet but dying to. *drools (yet does not get drool on fiber)* ;)

I haven't tried lace and don't really have any desire to, at least not at this point, but I do a fair amount on US1, 2 or 3 needles with fingering weight. Of course after a few months I get itchy for a change and start something in bulky with 10s and then feel like I'm knitting with logs. (In a good way though) :)

I've heard of Dominknitrix but haven't ever seen it. I may have to go take a look at it - I heart charts. :D

Good luck and have fun on your sister's scarf in that yummy alpaca!

tiny
03-01-2012, 07:38 PM
I turned the heel last night on the striped stocking. Had too, the thing was about to become a sleeve for a sweater if I didn't stop.

What's an infinity scarf?? And has anyone knitted a cable scarf in the tube so it doesn't have a back side? I'm curious about how to finish the ends.

moth
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
I made my kids tube scarves (no cables though). The pattern said to finish the ends with fringe, but my kids said no, leave the ends open. So I did, and it's worked fine all winter. Not even much rolling.

If you don't want to do the fringe thing, you could probably either single crochet around the edge or sc the ends closed. I think I'd go for sc'ing them closed if it were me (mostly because it's faster :D). It'd be a tidy edge and very secure.

Wtg on your stocking! I've never turned a heel yet, but when I do decide to get going on a pair of socks, I'm not sure I'd know what method to use...there seem to be a lot of ways to turn heels.

nicolethegeek
03-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Greetings and salutations everyone. I'm a newbie here, in fact, this is my very first post! I just wanted to say hello, and that I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

angeluscado
03-03-2012, 11:21 PM
What's an infinity scarf??

It's a scarf with the ends attached to make a really big circle. I'm dreading the kitchener stitch waiting for me, but that shouldn't happen for another six or seven feet or so :)

nicolethegeek
03-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm dreading the kitchener stitch waiting for me

I dreaded it too for the longest time. The video on Knittinghelp.com was what eventually "stuck". If you're grafting stockinette, it's the best IMNSHO. If you are grafting a patterned stitch, I have an article here somewhere that explains it fully. Let me know and I can dig it out to let you know where I found it.

theelfchild
03-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Hullo fellow knitters!

I'm currently knitting a scarf - a really boring garter stitch one, but I want to use up all my yarn ends.

I normally knit lace socks. To those that think lace is hard - if you can read a pattern, it's actually pitifully easy. And everyone who doesn't knit lace thinks you are the god of knitting when you're doing it.

edit: after posting this, I'm having another sock knitting craving... but my sock needles are at my parents place! *cries*

nicolethegeek
03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm currently knitting a scarf - a really boring garter stitch one, but I want to use up all my yarn ends.
Those types of scarves are the best, one of a kind! I do that too, but I will usually crochet a length-wise scarf. No ends to weave in because they become the fringe! Depending on the fibre, there's all kinds of fast projects to use up leftovers. I've been cataloguing my obscene stash, and I definitely have to get (more than) a few scrappy projects going.

I normally knit lace socks. To those that think lace is hard - if you can read a pattern, it's actually pitifully easy. And everyone who doesn't knit lace thinks you are the god of knitting when you're doing it.
That's the absolute beauty of knitting lace. It looks like a pile of something the cat yakked up until you get it blocked. Then you are looked upon as being omnipotent! I've knit a few shawls where even I doubted the ability to block it into something I could wear out in public. Do you prefer charts? Or written out patterns?

edit: after posting this, I'm having another sock knitting craving... but my sock needles are at my parents place! *cries*
That's the beauty of having multiples of various sizes! ;) I've got three different socks-in-progress within reach of me right now! *runs to hide the other socks and various projects lying about*
For me, I find nothing more relaxing and mind-clearing than knitting (or crocheting) away on something that doesn't require me to follow a pattern. Then I can go back to my writing and editing without my brain running off into a zillion directions... as long as my children aren't around that is! :D

theelfchild
03-05-2012, 09:18 PM
I prefer charts - it's a lot easier to relate it to what I'm holding in my hands. That said, charts were scary the first time I encountered one of them.

I do have a sock on the go right now (as in, started two years ago and stopped partway through the second sock about a year ago...) Really complicated cabled one. It's very pretty, but so fiddly that I can't even watch TV while I'm working on it.

Knitting is wonderfully mind clearing. When I discovered audio books last year, I started 'reading' and knitting at the same time. It was great.

nicolethegeek
03-06-2012, 04:17 AM
I crocheted for many years before taking up knitting, so I was already used to reading a chart from all the doilies I had made. To keep track of my place in a chart I will use an extra-sticky post-it for repeating charts, or a photocopy and cross off rows with a highlighter for non-repeating charts.

My kids are always taking my ipod, so I haven't been able to try out audio books. My choice of DVD/Blu-ray often depends on which project I'm working on!

theelfchild
03-06-2012, 04:36 AM
I also did crochet a lot before knitting, but I never followed patterns. I've always wanted to try making doilies sometime... or Irish lace. Are they hard?

nicolethegeek
03-06-2012, 05:57 AM
I don't think I've tried Irish Lace... it's done on a foundation if I recall correctly. But when it comes to other doilies, you name it, I've done it! Just like anything else in knitting or crocheting, it's simply doing one stitch after another. IMNSHO, charts are the only way to go for any but the smallest of them, and I keep track of what round I'm on with a post-it. I'm lost without a stack of post-its within reach at all times! Filet lace is super easy, 99% doubles and chains (US terminology), back and forth in rows. My favourite lace doilies are done with size 20 or 30 thread on a .85 or 1.0mm hook. It's like creating your own little (or not-so-little) spider web!

tiny
03-10-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm about to finish closing the toe of the cable stocking I'm working on. Looking forward to working on the last in the set of three and trying out something else. Maybe I'll jump right in and start the sweater. Should be done by next winter. :D

theelfchild
03-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I've never knit a sweater. I don't think I have the patience for such a large project.

moth
03-10-2012, 09:14 PM
I've done two -- boxy stockinette pullovers that I could knit mostly in the round. They were for other people, by request (and they paid me for the yarn, which was nice). I've yet to tackle a cardi, with button bands and seaming and possibly a hood. Oh and shaping.

tiny
03-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm just looking at knitting a big sweatshirt style sweater. Something with long sleeves that hang over my hands for sitting next to the fire drinking coffee. Big and comfy.

And I finished the first of the cable stockings.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421208_335805513122109_100000779892679_829003_7093 69213_n.jpg

For my first cable project, I'm rather pleased. I suspect everyone will be getting something knitted this year for the holidays. :D

moth
03-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Ooh love love love! You did a great job. :D

nicolethegeek
03-11-2012, 12:46 AM
I'm loving the stocking! I wish I could fit something like that into my schedule.

I just finished a really easy cardi. Worsted weight yarn, top down, no seaming, no picking up stitches, no buttons or button holes. I *can* use a shawl pin if I decide to close it, but I don't do up my sweaters 99% of the time, so why bother! I'm currently working on a shrug. It's for when I'm cold in the living room in the evenings. A shawl will get in the way of whatever I'm doing or working on, plus not covering my arms completely. The shrug length will keep it from bunching up in the back!

My socks are coming along nicely. I finished #1 of a design submission Thursday, but I need to do some photography before I can start #2. My "purse sock" (a plain sock in my purse at all times for when I'm stuck waiting anywhere for any length of time) is just about done. I swear the foot on it keeps shrinking and the length of my foot is growing each time I try it on to see if it's "toe time" yet!

I am not a monogamous knitter by any means, and being bicraftual just adds to it. I have projects on the go to match my moods or where I am, so large or small, anything I want to make is possible. A friend just loaned me a loom to try out too, so I'm trying to avoid even looking at that right now while I have several deadlines coming up in the next 2-3 months!

CatSlave
03-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Hi Nicole,
I love your Ravelry page. Very nice offerings.

moth
03-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I didn't know you were on Rav, Nicole - I must be blind. (I'm on Rav too but I'm not "moth" there.) I'm bicraftual too and am really eyeing your Gumdrop Hanging Towel.

TheaBlowsKisses
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
I've been knitting and crocheting for a number of years. So far, the yarn world has not collided with the writing world, though I'm toying with the idea of writing a pattern for a scarf and naming it after a character in my book-in-progress. I've only got one more row and the bindoff of a MASSIVE triangular shawl (Aeolian, from knitty) to do, so knitting may win out over writing today!

nicolethegeek
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments y'all! :blushing profusely:

I checked out the shawl pattern... massive doesn't begin to describe it! I would have to empty out my living room to make room for my blocking mats to pin it out!

Debbie Macomber (sp?) has made a huge name for herself with the market of writing books with accompanying pattern books. I haven't tried any of them, the books or patterns, so I can't speak for the quality of either.

K1P1
03-13-2012, 05:04 AM
Hi everybody!! I haven't been around here much at all in recent months, but I have been knitting and writing (and proof reading a lot). I have big news--my new book, Circular Knitting Workshop, is being released tomorrow. It's been more than three years in the making.

This week I start doing author events, kicking it off with an author appearance at Lion Brand Yarn Studio in NYC. Are any of you knitting writers in New York? If you are, I'd love to meet you.

nicolethegeek
03-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Just a temporary threadjack here, but I had to say congrats to Maggie on the release of your latest book. I will be adding it to my indigo wish list for sure. Your Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques has been very highly recommended to me for some guidance with a few designs-in-mind I have, as well as just being a great reference!

</slobbery fan gushing> ;)

K1P1
03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Just a temporary threadjack here, but I had to say congrats to Maggie on the release of your latest book. I will be adding it to my indigo wish list for sure. Your Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques has been very highly recommended to me for some guidance with a few designs-in-mind I have, as well as just being a great reference!

</slobbery fan gushing> ;)

Nicole--Thanks so much. Just try not to slobber on the books or your yarn. :D

And some obligatory knitting content: I spend several hours knitting on the train ride to NYC today, adding to the bottom of a sweater that I decided would be much more flattering if it were longer. Does anyone else go back and "revise" their knitting after it's done?

nicolethegeek
03-16-2012, 07:05 PM
It's all good... most of my yarn stash is washable, and sheet protectors are my friends! :D

My hands have been misbehaving a lot. I swear they know when I have deadlines to meet, and they refuse to knit a needle's worth of stitches without going numb. At least I've been able to crochet a bit. I took advantage of my insomnia (and my Earth to the Moon dvd's) last night to finally finish the photography samples for the last of my gumdrop series. Next in line is an afghan I started for my DH well over 10 years ago!

The kids aren't in school today so I can forget any of my editing and formatting work that I need to get done; it will simply have to wait until Monday. Instead I'll head off to town to get the supplies I need to make a DIY light box to improve my photography. One of my teenagers needs special paper for an art contest she's entering anyway, so it's not like we're going just for me!

moth
03-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Does anyone else go back and "revise" their knitting after it's done?
I have yet to unpick a bind-off, if that's what you mean, but I've been known to tink or frog back quite a ways (my 'record' is about 75% [*ouch!*]) due to noticing something wrong that I hadn't caught earlier.

My very first 'big' knitting project, a top-down Easter dress for my niece, has a two-inch-long mistake near the neckline that (at the time, as a new knitter) I thought was no big deal. She's outgrown the dress now (and my SIL has already passed it on) but it still drives me crazy. That dress is what taught me it's better to rip than to regret.

My hands have been misbehaving a lot. I swear they know when I have deadlines to meet, and they refuse to knit a needle's worth of stitches without going numb.
:Jaw: Numb?! Oh that's awful. And I thought I had hand problems! :Hug2:

The kids aren't in school today so I can forget any of my editing and formatting work that I need to get done; it will simply have to wait until Monday.
Ha! Tell me about it. Truer words were never spoken. ;) lol

Jamiekswriter
03-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Hi knitters!

I wanted to bounce a question off you guys. I'm going to be wearing this bridesmaids gown in my SIL's wedding:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Chiffon-Dress-with-Floral-Detail-and-One-Shoulder-F14010

In the color Sangria, though, not the green that comes up in the link.

I want to knit a lace scarf because I have fat arms. :D The wedding is July. Should I go with cotton? Bamboo came to mind too. . . Any suggestions on yarn?

I don't have a pattern yet, I was thinking just a rectangle lace pattern, but a triangle pie pattern is also dancing around in my head too. Have you guys worked on a summer shawl pattern that you really liked?

nicolethegeek
03-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Does anyone else go back and "revise" their knitting after it's done?
I'm like Moth, where I have frogged insane amounts of a project. Whenever I can, I will take shortcuts to completely frogging something, knowing that blocking often hides/ can cure a multitude of ills in uneven stitching. I do alter (OPPs) patterns somewhat to suit me... typically lengthening to cover my assets fully.

:Jaw: Numb?! Oh that's awful. And I thought I had hand problems! :Hug2:
Carpal tunnel and tendontis... both hands and forearms. And my braces are in a safe place. Mainly I can't doing any knitting or crocheting until after lunch; I use my mornings for housework and computer work.

I want to knit a lace scarf because I have fat arms. :D The wedding is July. Should I go with cotton? Bamboo came to mind too. . . Any suggestions on yarn?
I haven't worked with bamboo much, but cotton typically won't hold its blocking all that well. My best 2ąCAD would be a wool or wool/ silk blend in a laceweight (no thicker than fingering for a summer shawl IMO). I've used both Knit Picks Shadow and Gloss with excellent results.

I don't have a pattern yet, I was thinking just a rectangle lace pattern, but a triangle pie pattern is also dancing around in my head too. Have you guys worked on a summer shawl pattern that you really liked?
Most of the shawls and stoles I've made would either be too large, or too thick of yarn for your purposes. I'm working on a few designs of smaller ones, but that doesn't help you right now! :D If you haven't already, get thee over to Ravelry and search the wonderful pattern database (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#photo=yes&craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&weight=fingering%7Clight-fingering%7Clace&availability=free&sort=best&pc=shawl-wrap%7Cscarf)! (that search result has just over 1700 matches, but you can refine it more than that!

Jamiekswriter
03-17-2012, 05:58 AM
Nicole, Thanks! :D Good info. I had originally wanted to do wool in fingerweight but thought it would be too hot. I'm glad you told me about the blocking issue with the cotton. :D I love Knit Picks site I go ca-razy there!

nicolethegeek
03-17-2012, 06:21 AM
I've had problems (and I'm not the only one) with pure silk and pure cotton not holding their blocking very well. The "wools" I find too warm for summer are mainly alpaca and mohair. You will probably want a lace stitch pattern that is very open. I made KP's Summer Seasons shawl last August and find it a really nice weight (laceweight held double) for the evenings around here. Both the Gloss and Shadow spit-spliced quite easily too.

Jamiekswriter
03-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Great! I'll check them out :D

Niiicola
03-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Hi knitters!

I wanted to bounce a question off you guys. I'm going to be wearing this bridesmaids gown in my SIL's wedding:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Chiffon-Dress-with-Floral-Detail-and-One-Shoulder-F14010

In the color Sangria, though, not the green that comes up in the link.

I made this as a coverup for a springtime wedding:
http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2005/12/patternia.html

Not sure if the pattern is too busy for that dress or not. I used Misti Alpaca lace weight yarn and it has held up really well and is incredibly lush, soft, and lightweight. I'd definitely use it again for a lace pattern.

nicolethegeek
03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
This has been a frustrating week for me. I finished the photography sample for a design, and was trying to take my photos of it before sending the FO to the company. 4-5 days of fighting with my camera and editing software later, I discover that it's my MONITOR that's buggered colour-wise! I'm emailing the co-ordinator tomorrow to find out if my un-corrected images are good enough, since they seem to match the thumbnail of the yarn I got from their website. I am at the heel of one contest entry, and barely started a second. I won first place last year so I'm hoping for a repeat! /end shameless boasting

I haven't worked on my shrug at all because all it needs is a few inches of stockinette... it comes in too handy for knitting in the truck during the 3-hour-each-way trips I have to take into the city every week or two. I did start the ruffle on a cardigan for my daughter. I want to get it up to the point of straight knitting so that it can become my truck knitting. I can then finish up my shrug. After the "sleeves" are done, I have to sew them up and then pick up stitches for the body ribbing around the opening.

I also have to whip up a pair of slippers or two in the next day or so. My DH informed me when he was home last time (2 weeks ago) that he has already blown a hole in his "work" slippers. I made them for his first trip out in January, so they didn't even last 2 months! These ones are gonna be out of his work sock wool leftovers! :) I know he's expecting to find his afghan finished when he gets home on Wednesday, but he will be sadly disappointed. I have been working on it a bit in the mornings when I can't knit, but can crochet. The week spent with my dining room set up as a photographer's studio cut into my "free" time way too much.

K1P1
04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Wow, you all sure are busy.

I have knitted entire sweaters, then decided that they aren't the right length, took the bottom border off and lengthened them. And I've gone back and taken them apart at the underarms to bust darts to improve the fit.

I like silk for summer. I find that it does hold it's shape as long as you don't abuse it by stretching it a lot when you're wearing it (which does make it lose its blocking). But I don't think bamboo would keep its shape either. Perhaps you should consider linen, which (if lightly starched) might be the best hot weather option. But, silk with just a bit of wool would indeed be a great choice.

VanessaNorth
04-05-2012, 02:47 AM
I too, like silk for summer, or cotton, or linen. I don't like actually knitting linen, but don't mind cotton too much.

I'm about to cast off on a clapo-ktus (a triangle derivative of the clapotis) and realized I have mountains of small balls of fingering-weight yarns from all the lace knitting I've done recently. I'm contemplating doing some kind of scrap scarf project...

nicolethegeek
04-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Vanessa, there's a popular pattern on Ravelry called The Beekeeper's Quilt (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-beekeepers-quilt) which is perfect for fingering leftovers.

I'm busy trying to meet a few deadlines, but failing terribly right now. Got my toes crossed that I can catch up in the next week or three (crossing the fingers makes it pretty hard to type!).

VanessaNorth
04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Vanessa, there's a popular pattern on Ravelry called The Beekeeper's Quilt (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-beekeepers-quilt) which is perfect for fingering leftovers.

I'm busy trying to meet a few deadlines, but failing terribly right now. Got my toes crossed that I can catch up in the next week or three (crossing the fingers makes it pretty hard to type!).

That is cute! I had never considered making anything like that with them.

nicolethegeek
04-07-2012, 06:53 PM
I started a mitred square shawl years ago when I was participating in a sock yarn marathon... 16 pairs in under 6 months while working full-time midnight shift outside of the house! I should pull apart one of the squares to write up the pattern since it was stockinette not garter stitch... my original notes were lost when my DHs desktop pooter went BOOM!

I have a ton of work I need to get done over the next week. At least I've managed to get my charts to look a LOT nicer... but that means MORE work updating all of my old ones! Here's hoping that next week isn't nearly as hectic as the last two have been around here. At least my DH bought me a voice recorder so that I can record notes while driving now. Can't wait to try it out and see how it helps me.

VanessaNorth
04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
I started a mitred square shawl years ago when I was participating in a sock yarn marathon... 16 pairs in under 6 months while working full-time midnight shift outside of the house! I should pull apart one of the squares to write up the pattern since it was stockinette not garter stitch... my original notes were lost when my DHs desktop pooter went BOOM!

I have a ton of work I need to get done over the next week. At least I've managed to get my charts to look a LOT nicer... but that means MORE work updating all of my old ones! Here's hoping that next week isn't nearly as hectic as the last two have been around here. At least my DH bought me a voice recorder so that I can record notes while driving now. Can't wait to try it out and see how it helps me.

Wow, writing up patterns is a TON of work. I do a lot of "by the seat of my pants" knitting (especially for sweaters and stuff, because I've worn the same size since I was 12 and pretty much have the cast on numbers memorized for whatever gauge I get). Friends ask me to write up the patterns for them and I'm all "um... " lol!

nicolethegeek
04-08-2012, 01:46 AM
Most of the time I find the most difficult part of writing any pattern to be the description of it. Trying to figure out something clever to say about whatever it is I designed is usually impossible without copious amounts of Skittles, and an entirely empty house around me! :)

Jamiekswriter
04-11-2012, 05:33 PM

Nicole, how is the voice recorder working out?

L.Blake
04-13-2012, 11:08 PM
I love to knit socks and lace. I knit both socks at the same time on two circs.

VanessaNorth
04-13-2012, 11:25 PM
I love to knit socks and lace. I knit both socks at the same time on two circs.

I enjoy knitting socks but I don't actually like to wear them--So I end up knitting lace shawls with all my sock yarn instead!

L.Blake
04-15-2012, 04:11 AM
I enjoy knitting socks but I don't actually like to wear them--So I end up knitting lace shawls with all my sock yarn instead!

I use sock yarn for lace shawls too. I love wearing knit socks, they keep my toes warm.

crazynance
04-30-2012, 09:59 PM
After Christmas I decided it was time for me to make a ME present. I'd gotten some great wool from a lady who was selling off her stash. So I started my cardigan from Stitch and Bitch (Debbie Kroller). I do not have enough wool to make the arms! Erm.. the main colour is a wine tweed, and I have enough wool to put a stripe or two in the sleeves. Should I pick an off colour from the tweed (one of the contrast threads)? Or go with a navy tweed? It's parked under my table until the decision is made. :)

Yeshanu
05-13-2012, 09:48 PM
I made this as a coverup for a springtime wedding:
http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2005/12/patternia.html

Not sure if the pattern is too busy for that dress or not. I used Misti Alpaca lace weight yarn and it has held up really well and is incredibly lush, soft, and lightweight. I'd definitely use it again for a lace pattern.

Nice! My son is getting married next spring, and I was kind of thinking along the same lines, so thanks for the pattern.

I recently started knitting again after years of not doing much craft-wise. I'm almost finished the vest I'm working on! Go me!

Yeshanu
05-13-2012, 09:49 PM
After Christmas I decided it was time for me to make a ME present. I'd gotten some great wool from a lady who was selling off her stash. So I started my cardigan from Stitch and Bitch (Debbie Kroller). I do not have enough wool to make the arms! Erm.. the main colour is a wine tweed, and I have enough wool to put a stripe or two in the sleeves. Should I pick an off colour from the tweed (one of the contrast threads)? Or go with a navy tweed? It's parked under my table until the decision is made. :)

What about finishing it off as a vest, Nance? I bought some wool I really like before I chose a pattern, and same thing. Not enough for sleeves. So it's going to be a vest. :)

K1P1
05-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Should I pick an off colour from the tweed (one of the contrast threads)? Or go with a navy tweed? It's parked under my table until the decision is made. :)

Hard to tell without seeing it. I'd carry the sweater to a yarn shop and hold the colors together to see how they work.

AZ_Dawn
05-15-2012, 04:17 AM
Last night one of my aunts called and, among other things, mentioned that two of my cousins recently got small dogs. My first thought was OMG SQUEE DOGGIES! My second thought was OMG SQUEE I'M GONNA KNIT SOME DOGGIE SWEATERS ON MY NEXT VISIT! :snoopy:

Dog sweaters are the most complicated thing I've done on my Knifty Knitters. I have no dog and keep looking at the kid's stuffed toys for suitable sweater subjects. I'm even tempted to ask the pastor to measure his dog for a sweater. I feel kind of pathetic about that.

K1P1
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Dog sweaters are the most complicated thing I've done on my Knifty Knitters. I have no dog and keep looking at the kid's stuffed toys for suitable sweater subjects. I'm even tempted to ask the pastor to measure his dog for a sweater. I feel kind of pathetic about that.

The problem is that different breeds of dog are shaped entirely differently, so it can be hard to fit them.

justbishop
05-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I knit and crochet! I actually meet with other knitters twice a week. I'm like an elderly woman, lol. My UN is the same on Ravelry, and I welcome new friends over there too :)

The only thing I've done from a book/movie was Bella's mittens from the first Twilight movie. I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but the horseshoe cabled mittens were gorgeous and made a great Xmas gift for my SIL who lives in NY.

The MC in my current WIP is a knitter, so there are a couple of fun knitting jargony pieces in it here and there. I hadn't thought of actually making the projects in my own story, but it could be interesting. She was working on a grey cabled alpaca scarf, an ear flap hat out of merino in a charcoal and jewel tone colorway (a yarn that I have actually purchased from Marigoldjen on Etsy), and then a pair of black fingerless gloves.

Anyone else addicted to hand painted yarns? I have bins full, but can rarely bring myself to actually use them for anything. I always end up getting $3.00/skein acrylic for my projects, while my nice yarn sits there looking beautiful in hanks. I've dabbled in dying my own, as well.

Kadeira
05-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I knit a lot. I have a knitting blog that I share with my younger sister and it also hosts my designs...

Brigid's Knits (http://brigidsknits.wordpress.com/)

I don't do a lot of knitting based on characters, but I did design a sweater for my daughter based on young Amy Pond's sweater in Doctor Who :)

Artifex
05-19-2012, 07:45 PM
And here is another knitter. I always have to have a knitting project going on. I need something to do with my hands while I watch telly. :)

I like to knit lace shawls, scarves, socks, gloves, berets and such. I think light-weight woolly shawls are my favorite at the moment. I recently got a book on Estonian lace, and I want to knit just about everything in the book!

Summerwriter
05-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi!
I am a Finnish woman, who loves knitting. Yes, I am on Ravelry as well, even I maily speak Finnish there. I'd like to believe my knitting skills are more advanced than my English writing skills, even I have heard others saying I speak English very well.
Right now I hope, that my current knitting WIP will turn into a FO in the future. It should become a sweater for myself. I hope it works. Usually I stay quiet about my WIPs on public, just in case something goes wrong and I have no choice but to rip the WIP apart.

Graphite
06-03-2012, 01:45 AM
Ahhhh, so happy to see a knitting community within a writing community.

Summerwriter
06-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Ahhhh, so happy to see a knitting community within a writing community.

I like both, but sometimes I wonder, if my knitting skills are better than my writing skills. It seems they are, at least in English.

Graphite
06-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Heh, I know my knitting skills are better. Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to make intricate fair isle with words.

shayla.mist
06-03-2012, 03:16 PM
how come there's no thread for crocheters? I'm good at knitting, but I'm a master crocheter. and my skills are definitely better than my writing skills unfortunately :D

Graphite
06-05-2012, 02:51 AM
Because crochet is black magic. It is known. :D

I kid, I kid.

crazynance
06-05-2012, 07:25 PM
this is really all needley, this thread is. Welcome crocheter, welcome. many of us do both.

Cranky
06-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Hey, I've got a quick question for some of the more experienced knitters/crocheters, if y'all don't mind. :)

I'm getting ready to start knitting a baby blanket for my soon-to-be here daughter. I was going to use a soft acrylic yarn for it's washability, but IME, most acrylic yarns tend to pill rather badly. Also, I'm a snob. :D I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good non-pilling acrylic yarn that's also soft, or a good, soft washable natural fiber yarn? I've thought about bamboo, but I find that the skeins are really small and the yarn a bit slippery for my taste. Any recommendations are welcome! Thanks, folks!

justbishop
06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Why not use a superwash merino wool? If you're dead set on acrylic, Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn" is nice and soft, though I can't speak to whether or not pilling is an issue.

Cranky
06-05-2012, 09:03 PM
No, actually, acrylic is probably my last choice! :) ETA: Which is not a knock on acrylic per se...I just really want this blanket to be something special, you know? I could go with a superwash, I suppose, but I haven't used it yet myself, so I am unfamiliar with it. Not a lot of yarn shops here that carry natural fibers, so I can't get a feel for the hand, which is the part I'm most concerned with aside from the washability.

justbishop
06-05-2012, 09:19 PM
I will ask my knitting group about this tonight. I'm sure I can get some good suggestions on soft superwash that is available online (and for a decent price) from them.

I will say, though, that I've ordered quite a bit of hand painted super wash merino from different dyers on Etsy, and have always found it soft :)

Cranky
06-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Oh, Etsy. Etsy, etsy etsy. I cannot be allowed there! :D I'll spend an afternoon just drooling. Good suggestion, though, and I'll check that out as well. Thanks for asking for me, I appreciate it.

Graphite
06-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Plymouth Encore is a nice acrylic/wool blend. I HATE working with acrylic but this isn't bad. Nice hand. Good quality. If you kill it a bit with an iron it's even better.

AND! You don't have to worry about your supposedly superwash blanket felting after washing it a bazillion times.

justbishop
06-06-2012, 04:49 AM
I have several skeins of Encore, and I can't say that I would use it for anything to be used against skin. The 100% acrylic Hobby Lobby ILTW I mentioned earlier is much softer, IMO.

Anyway, I didn't make it to knitting tonight, but I meet with a knitting friend from the group on Fridays as well. She quite the yarn-ista, so I will ask her :)

justbishop
06-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Everyone I know that knows anything is agreeing with my suggestion of HL's ILTY. It's soft, cheap, machine washable, and comes in loads of colors. Hope that helps!

nicolethegeek
06-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Nicole, how is the voice recorder working out?

WOW! Has it been *that* long since I've posted here??? Anyhoo, I didn't want to reply to you right away until I've had a chance to fully test out my recorder.

I am finding my recorder to be an absolutely wonderful tool for when I'm driving. I have gotten in the habit of either putting it in the centre console of the truck, or at least an easily accessible pocket of my purse so that I can reach it without having to actually look for it. Anything and everything that comes to mind gets recorded. It's a fantabulous way for me to be able to clear my mind of the 50 gazillion things that seem to be running through it at once... be it what I need to do when I get home, a shopping list, or design ideas. I can do separate "notes" or simply a very long one that I keep adding to. The hardest thing for me is to sit down once I've gotten home and go through it all and create all the different notes and files needed for everything that I've put on the recorder. There are times when I have an hour of notes on it from just one trip!

nicolethegeek
06-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good non-pilling acrylic yarn that's also soft, or a good, soft washable natural fiber yarn?

The new Knit Picks Brava is supposed to be wonderful. I've heard amazing things about it, but I haven't had a chance to work with it yet. I just received my sampler a couple weeks ago, so I'll be starting work on a few designs with it in September (I have a no-designing-during-summer-break rule)... I've been too busy with 3 submissions and a major proposal to even think about it really.

I absolutely LOVE Mission Falls 1824 Wool. It's only 50g balls, but it feels and washes wonderfully. It's my go-to superwash. It *does* pill a little since it's merino, but those shave off easily and after a couple washes, all the little tidbits are gone.

Patons Decor is another nice blend, and if you want something a bit thinner, look for sport/DK superwash sock yarns.

Cranky
06-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Everyone I know that knows anything is agreeing with my suggestion of HL's ILTY. It's soft, cheap, machine washable, and comes in loads of colors. Hope that helps!

It does, thank you! :)

The new Knit Picks Brava is supposed to be wonderful. I've heard amazing things about it, but I haven't had a chance to work with it yet. I just received my sampler a couple weeks ago, so I'll be starting work on a few designs with it in September (I have a no-designing-during-summer-break rule)... I've been too busy with 3 submissions and a major proposal to even think about it really.

I absolutely LOVE Mission Falls 1824 Wool. It's only 50g balls, but it feels and washes wonderfully. It's my go-to superwash. It *does* pill a little since it's merino, but those shave off easily and after a couple washes, all the little tidbits are gone.

Patons Decor is another nice blend, and if you want something a bit thinner, look for sport/DK superwash sock yarns.

Between the two of you, sounds like I can now justify a trip to the nearest yarn store to start feeling up the skeins. :D Thanks so much!

justbishop
06-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Yarn groping is one of my favorite pastimes ;)

JoyceH
06-15-2012, 09:20 PM
I knit and crochet and my sister spins and weaves. When she visits me, we go to the local alpaca farm to buy wool. If civilization falls, we're ready...

nicolethegeek
06-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Yarn groping is one of my favorite pastimes ;)

Just be careful of the yarngasms :D

justbishop
06-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Just be careful of the yarngasms :D

:roll:

IDK, most of the time, if you're in one of the better LYS's, people tend to understand...

nicolethegeek
06-15-2012, 09:48 PM
IDK, most of the time, if you're in one of the better LYS's, people tend to understand...

Ya, they tend to realize you're only there for SEX

SEX: stash enhancement expedition

Cranky
06-15-2012, 09:49 PM

Glad I'm not the only one. DH looks at me all cross-eyed when I start "ooohing" over yarn.

"It's yarn. Supposed to be soft, isn't it?" says he.

Just. Doesn't. Understand.

justbishop
06-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Ya, they tend to realize you're only there for SEX

SEX: stash enhancement expedition

BWAAAHAHAHAAA!!! That is amazing.

Glad I'm not the only one. DH looks at me all cross-eyed when I start "ooohing" over yarn.

"It's yarn. Supposed to be soft, isn't it?" says he.

Just. Doesn't. Understand.

You're definitely not alone! I've even managed to get my 3 y/o into it. The rule in a yarn shop (any shop, really) is that she must ask me before touching anything, so our LYS trips sound a bit like this:

C: Mommy, may I touch this?
Me: Yes, Claudie, thank you for asking!
C: Oooooh, soft *rubs on face and replaces it*
[lather, rinse repeat]

justbishop
08-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Hey yarnies! Look at the yumminess that's on it's way from Uraguay to me as I type:

https://twitter.com/justbishop/status/233907776282300417

:D

nicolethegeek
08-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Nice haul! I'd be stalking my post office if that was on the way to me! :D

I recently got back from my vacation where I literally shopped till I dropped! My BFF and I did a 10 quilt store shop hop, where I won 2 different door prizes. We also hit about 10 more quilt shops and at least 10-15 yarn and craft shops. This was all in less than 10 days. I had to buy another bag and pay for an additional piece of luggage for my flight home. We also had a dye-day where we hand-painted about 24 hanks of yarn.

I even managed to get some "work" in as well. I was able to make contact with several of the yarn shop owners as a designer, and I designed and knit a pair of socks while on the road.

justbishop
08-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Wow, that's ridiculous! LOL!

And you'd never guess what happened with my Purewool...

Got shipping notification today (just a manual email from the lady at Purewool). Figured "yay, she dropped it in the mail today from South America!" Um, no. FedEx guy shows up at my house not 2 hours later with the preciouses!

However, it was pretty wrong. I ordered 4 skeins. There were 6 in this package. I ordered the 3 colorways linked in my last post...only got 1 of those, and 2 skeins each of 2 other random colorways that I'd never heard of.

Anyway, I emailed with the details, and was told not only are they shipping my missing 3 skeins of yarn, but that I am to keep the 4 sent to me by mistake! Awesome CS there, highly recommend :D

Calla Lily
08-24-2012, 05:30 AM
This weekend I finished a sweater with some kind of super-soft tonal boucle from Jo-Ann. Kiddo was petting it as I knitted. So I knitted him a pillow with the leftover yarn. Suddenly I am awesome mom like I was when he was a wee kiddo. :tongue

However, I may have to turn in my knitter's card. I'm online right now actually watching video tutorials on the vertical herringbone stitch. :mad: WHY are there 3 different ways to do this and WHY are the written instructions so frickin' confusing? I haven't had to watch someone IRL or online since I learned the Continental style eons ago. :e2paperba

But I'm making a skirt with gray heather yarn and it calls for this stitch, which is perfect for it. *girds loins*

JanDarby
08-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Oh, Continental style, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I learned to knit that way on a bet in college, and I remember it felt weird initially, but now I can't imagine wasting all that energy wrapping the yarn around the needle American-style. I particularly love it for doing two-color work, so I can have the main color in my left hand, and then do the American style with the contrast color in my right.

It helped, I think, that I also crocheted, and this was before internets or even regular video, let alone streaming video, so I didn't have much choice to figure it out from books and written instructions.

No idea about the herringbone stitch. I keep my knitting fairly simple these days. Knit, purl, increase, decrease, the occasional cable if I'm bored with straight knitting. That's about it. Mostly I make chemo caps, from one basic pattern, but I do like to mix up the colors.

Calla Lily
08-24-2012, 06:14 PM
I learned American style when I was 7, from a friend's mother. Then after college I found Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver mysteries. Miss Silver knits constantly, and only in the Continental style. Wentworth made such a point of how fast and talented and efficient yada yada Miss Silver knitted that I tracked down the style and taught myself. With a bit of help from a sweet little old lady who owned a yarn shop. :) When I show someone the basics, I show them Continental style.

I use both styles for 2-color knitting, too Jan. It's so much easier.

Turns out there are several different herringbone methods. And some YouTube videos are less helpful than others. :rolleyes:
I think I found one that works for this skirt. I'm practicing for a day or two before I plunge into the actual project. I have no desire to cast on 255 sts and then have to redo it all.

AZ_Dawn
09-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Anyone know of a good substitute for the Knifty Knitter loom tool (http://www.loomroom.com/knifty-knitter-loom-hook.html)? Mine's at the stage in the middle of the picture. I don't have the means to buy another online and they're out of stock at the local Jo-ann's. Sadly, a Google search didn't provide me a lot of useful links.

Thanks!

P.S. If it helps, the tool's about 5 1/4 inches long.

JanDarby
09-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Have you tried using a crochet hook? I would think one of the smaller sizes, for thread crochet, would work.

aokva
09-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I knit for my kids. Sweaters mostly. Some knitted longies (pants) and an occasional hat. Nothing for literary characters but I have thought about making "thing 1" and "thing 2" sweaters. Just haven't yet.

AZ_Dawn
09-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Have you tried using a crochet hook? I would think one of the smaller sizes, for thread crochet, would work.
The smallest yarn I work with is size 3; would the thread-sized hooks mess up the yarn? On the other hand, at least it would fit in the groove on the back of the loom pegs.

Thanks for the suggestion.

AZ_Dawn
09-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Someone found an old thread-sized hook, so I tried it out. Unfortunately, it kept getting caught in the yarn. Guess I'll have to figure something else out. :e2bummed:

nicolethegeek
09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
I purchased extra loom hooks for my kids at Michaels.

AZ_Dawn
09-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Sadly, the local Michael's doesn't sell the hooks separately and it didn't occur to me to buy spares while Jo-Ann still had them. :e2smack:

nicolethegeek
09-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Just popped in to beg for some sympathy. I had been waiting almost 3 months to hear back on the results of a design contest I had entered. Last year I won first place, and found out that they had wanted to give me all three places. I just discovered that they finally announced the winners just over a week ago, and I wasn't one of them. :cry:

juniper
09-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Hey there, I can finally call myself a knitter! I've been making a New Years resolution for a few years that "This year I will learn to knit" and then never did.

I tried books, DVDs, YouTube - none of it made sense. I went to a free group at a coffeeshop but they all knew how and didn't really want to take time to teach me.

A year ago I paid for a set of 3 classes at a yarn shop about 30 miles away - I had a year before the coupon expired so I finally went. I took classes the last 3 Friday evenings - and now I can knit and purl. I'm working on a sampler scarf. It's kind of funny looking - a little bumpy and wider at the start than it's ending up - but I'm doing it.

I took it on a bus trip yesterday. I knit at night watching movies, although I'm still having to pay a lot of attention to what my fingers are doing, so missing a lot of the movie.

I've gone to yarn shops for years, and bought yarn, and needles, and went to a fiber festival and bought the raw stuff (is it called roving?) just because I like it so much.

My middle-aged crisis includes learning to knit. Yay!

Oh - the teacher uses continental style so that's what I learned. She says she does that because she crocheted for years before knitting.

After seeing other styles, continental seems much more efficient. A woman at the shop who was just there to knit learned in England and she uses a style that's a variation on the standard English, wrapping the yarn a little differently.

I heard the Scandinavian way is different too - but they all produce the same fabric. Interesting.

I'm going to go back and read this whole thread - I just wanted to say, "I can knit!" :hooray:

nicolethegeek
09-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Hey there, I can finally call myself a knitter!
I'm going to go back and read this whole thread - I just wanted to say, "I can knit!" :hooray:

Congrats! Get theeself over to Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com) and sign up (if you haven't already). I too am a continental knitter... well kinda sorta anyway! I crocheted for about 15 years before actually getting my hands to be able to manipulate two needles instead of one hook and the yarn. My right hand refuses to hold the working yarn no matter what I do. I have also heard from others that continental is easier on the shoulder joints.

JanDarby
09-29-2012, 05:15 AM
If you're concerned about joint stress, and aren't already using circular needles, try them. Even for flat, straight knitting -- just go back and forth instead of around and around.

They're really light and don't seem to put as much stress on my wrists or elbows as straight needles. And they're particularly good if you're knitting on a plane, because they don't stick out beyond your hands/lap, and you're a lot less likely to jab the person sitting next to you with the non-pointy end of the needles (and if you jab them with the pointy ends, I'll assume it was intentional).

Calla Lily
09-30-2012, 12:11 AM
The one upside to our router going kaput? I finished both nun dolls way before the giveaway event! Yay!

Now I'm starting the "slouchy hat" from the most recent Michael's mailing. Size 15 crochet hook! Bulky yarn! (well, 3 strands of yarn from my stash held together) I may make more than one of these.

AZ_Dawn
10-22-2012, 11:21 PM
I purchased extra loom hooks for my kids at Michaels.

Sadly, the local Michael's doesn't sell the hooks separately...

Looks like I spoke too soon, thankfully. On Saturday, one of my sisters needed something from Michael's and I went with her to see about finding a reasonable substitute. Michael's had loom tools sold separately! :banana: You better believe I stocked up!

They also had a lot more knitting looms than they usually do. (They usually have just have the round loom set.) I wonder if their stocking up for Christmas.

nicolethegeek
10-23-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm so glad you were able to find what you needed! My Mike's usually has the sets of round looms, and the sets of oblong looms. I noticed the last time I was there that they had sock looms too, but I knit faster with needles! =o)

I'm frantically working on some design proposals... the Skittles may not be enough for all the "thinking" I've had to do lately!

K1P1
10-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Just as a public service leading up to Halloween, for those of you unfamiliar with my web site, there's a free Witch's Hat pattern--any yarn, any size needles (but if you use bulky yarn and big needles it will go much faster). You do need to be comfortable working small tubes (on dps, magic loop or 2 circulars) to be able to work the pointed top.

You can find it here: http://www.maggiesrags.com/freewitchhat.html

AZ_Dawn
11-08-2012, 11:12 PM
I found this site while looking up ways to make my loom tools more comfy. Behold, DIY knitting equipment (http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/category/other/craft-materials-tools/tools_and_aids/knitting_equipment)!

Now if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with two dowels, a pencil sharpener, and lots of yarn, you can at least knit. :D

P.S. Still looking for ideas on how to make the handle of my loom tool more comfy. If you know of something that doesn't involve pencil holders or polymer clay, please let me know. ;)

K1P1
12-05-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't know any better place to announce this. I just finished and boxed up for submission, my 4th knitting book:

110,300 words, 14.5 lbs of yarn, 553 image files

I can relax--for the first time in 18 months, I'm not behind on this book!

Calla Lily
12-05-2012, 06:02 PM
:hooray: Congratulations!

Jamiekswriter
12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Cool! Can't wait to read it!

K1P1
12-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Cool! Can't wait to read it!

I'm afraid you'll have to--my books usually take about a year in production!

MsJudy
12-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Big congrats! And somehow I missed when your circular knitting book came out... dashing off to add it to my Xmas wishlist...

aixsponsa
12-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I just could never get the hang of knitting... maybe one day! I love to crochet though. I'm lucky to have a set of knitting needles that belonged to my grandmother who I never met, and when I crochet I use one of her hooks. :)

K1P1
12-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Big congrats! And somehow I missed when your circular knitting book came out... dashing off to add it to my Xmas wishlist...

And here I was, thinking it was about time to change my avatar!

Calla Lily
12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm at work and Photobucket is blocked, but I am totally showing off the Ridiculously Complex Knitting Project I Started Two Weeks Before Christmas:

It's the pic in this AW Post. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7821569&postcount=20236)

This is for my son's GF (they've been living together for 6 months). She doesn't know anything about it. :) I'm going to bring it to my folks' house where we'll meet up with them on Christmas Day.

The most difficult part of the darned thing was the &#!%@*! name. I HATE lazy daisy stitch. the project took 6 days, working every night and on the weekend. It's not that hard--it's really just an oversize sock with the FairIsle-like cuff. It's just--2 weeks before Christmas. I'm certifiable. :tongue

The little old lady who taught me to knit when I was a wee Lily gave me the pattern before she passed away a few years ago. She made this stocking for me when I was 5, then for Mr. Lily when we got married, then as gifts for both my sons. So this is like "GF is part of the family officially now."

K1P1
01-01-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm so impressed that you got this done for Christmas. Yet another person who likes to knit and hates to sew! I can see why the name was the worst part.

Calla Lily
01-01-2013, 09:35 PM
The GF was surprised and loved the fact that it's an inch taller than my son's :tongue

My next project is a charted Krampuus sweater. It was a lot of fun creating the chart. Alas, I am forced to use a little embroidery for the chain and the kids in the basket.

My hands are still protesting the stocking, though, so I'm glad I'llhave several months to finish this. :)

nicolethegeek
01-14-2013, 06:58 PM
I just could never get the hang of knitting... maybe one day! I love to crochet though. I'm lucky to have a set of knitting needles that belonged to my grandmother who I never met, and when I crochet I use one of her hooks. :)

It took me at least half a dozen tries as an adult to get the hang of knitting. I still hold my yarn in my left hand because after years of crocheting my right hand refuses to hold the working yarn!!

christwriter
01-15-2013, 06:40 AM
I knit. And spin my own yarn. I kind of have to, as I do mostly lace knitting (SHETLAND LACE SHAWL FTW) and there are NO specialty yarn shops within a three hour's drive...and I'm too damn lazy to order it off the internet. (That, and if I can't feel it I can't know if it's right).

I've completed three lace shawls. My first was the final pattern from a book on Orenburg lace shawls. My second also came from a book I have since lost (The pattern was Shetland Tea Shawl) and I have pictures from blocking it on my blog over here: http://creativedoubledipper.blogspot.com/2011/08/block-party.html

Every inch of yarn in that thing was spun with a hand spindle. It is two ply. It took about a month, and six months to spin the yarn.

The third one, I have no pictures of. It was made with this fine merino I spun on my charka (BEST. TOY. EVER.) and the pattern was something I made up. The Shetland Tea Shawl taught me about Pi-shawl design (IE: cast on 5-10 stitches, knit a row, double your stitches, knit three rows, double your stitches, knit six rows, double, twelve rows, double, twenty four, forty eight, ninety-six, and so on and so on ad infinitum) and I began stockpiling books on lace knitting.

My current project is another Pi-shawl using the same kind of wool (I stocked up on the merino) and a modified version of "lilac time" from The Second Book of Modern Lace Knitting by Marianne Kinzel.

I don't pretend to be expert good at lace knitting, but I LOVE it.

weavergirl
01-16-2013, 07:44 PM
I don't knit, but I know where you can get some awesome alpaca yarn ;)

(she said, having just come in from the barn)

TMCan
01-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Nice to meet some other knitters. I tried to crochet, but eh, then I tried knitting and fell in love. To date I have only made a scarf for a friend and a TARDIS hat for myself, but I am addicted. Right now on my needles is a John Watson sweater based on the BBC Sherlock series and a Forth Doctor scarf from Doctor Who. I am a super nerdy knitter lol.

Calla Lily
01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
I cannot believe I didn't know of a TARDIS hat pattern.

I shall now see if I have the right colors in my stash. Thank you!

TMCan
01-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I cannot believe I didn't know of a TARDIS hat pattern.

I shall now see if I have the right colors in my stash. Thank you!

I found the pattern on Ravelry. It's quick and easy to knit and I accidentally taught myself fair isle on it lol. My Ravelry name is tmcanada. Youshould be able to find the hat under my projects.

Calla Lily
01-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks! I'm a member of Ravelry but just lurk. :)

cryaegm
02-03-2013, 05:00 AM
I've been knitting for seven months. I taught myself because I got tired of waiting for my mom to help me with it, but I can't blame her for taking a while since she hasn't knit in 30 some years. Most of my stuff is on Ravelry (same username as it is here). :D I can't get enough of it.

Calla Lily
02-03-2013, 10:29 PM
TARDIS hat complete! Pic on my Twitter and FB pages. Thanks again for telling me about it!

Jamiekswriter
02-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Can anyone suggest a cool new knitting pattern for an advanced beginner? Or a K-A-L that's about to start. I'm looking for a new project. I'll probably jump on ravelry a bit later and poke around, but I was wondering if there's anything anyone's working on that they're excited about.

Calla Lily
02-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Lemon Grass Slouchy Hat (http://knittybutton.com/2010/10/17/finished/)

Got it on Ravelry. Soft, quick, easy but not boring. Gave it as a gift and people are asking for the pattern.

LeeBernstein
02-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I'm Lee, and I'm addicted to knitting.

LeeBernstein
02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
I might be able to give you some suggestions. First: What do you want to knit?

bearilou
03-16-2013, 04:49 PM
*crochter who lurks around knitters in the hopes their knitting chops will wear off or sink in by osmosis or something*

Um...I got a Martha Stewart knitting and weaving loom kit for my birthday? Would that be considered cheating?

*returns to lurker status*

TMCan
05-19-2013, 07:52 PM
I really wish there was some way I could knit and write at the same time. I have speak recognition, but it requires too much concentration.

ChristinaJGustin
10-02-2013, 07:48 AM
I knit. I'm currently working on this "Bigger on the Insider" Doctor Who themed shawl for my sister for her birthday. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss12/PATTbigger.php

It's the first time I've really used a pattern to knit, and I'm pretty excited about it.

bearilou
10-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I knit. I'm currently working on this "Bigger on the Insider" Doctor Who themed shawl for my sister for her birthday. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss12/PATTbigger.php

It's the first time I've really used a pattern to knit, and I'm pretty excited about it.

It's a lovely pattern. Pics when you're done!

ChristinaJGustin
10-02-2013, 10:56 PM
It's a lovely pattern. Pics when you're done!

Ooo, of course. I'm a little over halfway done at the moment, so it might be a bit.

AZ_Dawn
10-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Mind if I share my tale of woe with you guys?

On Wednesday nights I like to knit while I watch PBS science/nature shows, just in case they show extra gross stuff like animal porn, surgery, or spiders. :scared:Last Wednesday night, Nature was making me lightheaded with bird-cams and fish-eye lenses, so I picked up my loom, knitted a few stitches, and...noticed a stitch hanging loose. There was a peg missing; this loom does not have removable pegs.

I was hoping to make the blanket I was working on longer, but my OCD kicked in and I had to finish it right then and there before bad things happened with that loose stitch! I spent the rest of the show half binding my work off and half watching and hoping the hook I was using wouldn't slip out the stitches. No blanket from me. Just a large blue square. :(

I haven't thrown out that loom. I can still use it for flat-panel knitting; I just can't use it to knit in the round anymore. *sigh*

Nature Geek
10-05-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm a knitter and sometimes crocheter. I knit mostly socks, but it's been ages since I've done anything. Winter always gets me in the mood though.

shestval
11-06-2013, 01:57 AM
I knit, but it's definitely a light hobby for me. Mostly I knit because I like owning clothes that I made to my specifications. XD

My husband, however, is one badarse crocheter. He makes custom and fandom dolls and I do a lot of the detail work, like faces. He's got a bunch on his deviantArt (http://leftandrightdolls.deviantart.com/), if anyone is curious.

Calla Lily
11-06-2013, 03:47 AM
Holy crow, those are good! :Hail

shestval
11-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Aww, thank you callalily! I showed your comment to him and he grinned like an idiot. :)

Flight Heart
11-11-2013, 10:03 PM
*crochter who lurks around knitters in the hopes their knitting chops will wear off or sink in by osmosis or something*

And here I am a knitter that wishes she could crochet! If you get that osmosis thing worked out, let me know. :)

I knit mostly small things - socks, mittens, hats, cowls, and now my friend has sucked me into spinning and is on the verge of sucking me into weaving, too.

CL Polk
01-26-2016, 05:36 AM
*coughs on the dust bunnies*

Hey, I knit. I've had a case of startitis that has just been awful. I usually knit while I watch TV shows or listen to audiobooks.

Did all the knitters run away?

Summerwriter
01-27-2016, 09:10 PM
I have not gone anywhere. I just have some stitching projects going. As soon as my current stitching WIP is a FO (Finished Object), I grab my needles again for a while. This is the only way I can give attention to both without feeling guilty about neglecting the other.

CL Polk
01-27-2016, 11:39 PM
Hurray, a knitter!

I am working on a cabled sweater. It's going slowly but I spend at least an hour on it every day in the hopes that I will finish it.

dirtsider
01-28-2016, 08:05 PM
I'm a crocheter. I finished two large afgans sooner than I expected (now to get the afgans to them). Now I have for WIP. I'm focusing on the wool afgan now with the cold weather and there's only 1.5 skeins to go on that one.

MaryMumsy
01-29-2016, 01:42 AM
I'm a crocheter. I learned to knit way back when (45ish years ago), but didn't enjoy it much. A couple of years later I taught myself to crochet and have never looked back. I'm on panel 4 of a 7 panel afghan for a wedding present (wedding is Apr 9). Since I only started it on Dec 23, I think I'm in good shape to finish in plenty of time.

MM

Shadowflame
01-29-2016, 02:01 AM
Slow knitter here. Seriously slow but I can hook like crazy when I've the notion to.

B wore one of my crazy hats to work last week and I've got orders. :) next I'm doing a blarf (blanket/scarf) to carry around. Then I'll start on a blanket for my oldest. Then.... :)

dirtsider
01-29-2016, 11:58 PM
Slow knitter here. Seriously slow but I can hook like crazy when I've the notion to.

B wore one of my crazy hats to work last week and I've got orders. :) next I'm doing a blarf (blanket/scarf) to carry around. Then I'll start on a blanket for my oldest. Then.... :)

I love the term "blarf". I do 'laprugs' (aka lapgans) - small afgan/blankets to be used when sitting in a chair or recliner.

CindyGirl
02-29-2016, 03:37 AM
I knit and crochet. My husband is a Rev Way reenactor and I make hats and scarves for him and his friends. I also like to embroider, do crewel and needlepoint. I've tried sewing but that was a disaster! :)

Raindrop
03-14-2016, 12:43 AM
I knit and crochet, too! I'm currently knitting my first sweater. I've almost finished the body. It's going well: it kinda fits and, even without sleeves, it looks smarter than my usual fleece. YAY!

CindyGirl
03-14-2016, 01:23 AM
My local sewing/craft stores no longer carry Paton yarn. I'm going to have to buy it online now. It seems the yarn aisles are shrinking in every store these days.

MaryMumsy
03-14-2016, 02:30 AM
I remember when I could even buy wool yarn at Michael's, and at K-Mart for goodness sake. Wool is rarely available now. Glad I'm no longer using it, the price is horrible.

In my area the Michael's has a limited yarn section. And a lot of what they have is ugly. For me Jo-Ann has a lot more to choose from. But it's about 6 miles away vs 1 mile.

I'm on panel 7 of 7 on the wedding afghan. It would go a lot faster if the cat would stay asleep somewhere other than on my lap. I still think I'll make in time to send it to CA with the mother of the bride.

MM

CassandraW
03-14-2016, 02:36 AM
You can probably get real wool online.

I live in NYC, where there are still some stores that specialize in nice yarn. It costs the damn earth -- it can be more expensive to make the sweater than to buy one -- but you can get it.

CindyGirl
03-14-2016, 03:01 AM
My local JoAnn's has less and less yarn each time I go in. The yarn selection in Michael's and AC Moore is shrinking too. There is a specialty store in town but $15 and up for a few ounces of yarn is too steep for my wallet. I can find a lot on line but I prefer to feel the yarn in my hand before buying. Just a quirk of mine.

I'm working on a baby blanket right now. I do them up in a simple repetitive stitch when I want to keep my fingers busy but don't want to think to much about counting. I donate them to the local women's shelter.

I'm also working on a holiday embroidery table topper. My mother bought the kit in Germany and started it, but decided to let me finish it. She lost the instructions somewhere along the way so all I have it the picture to go by. Most of the work seems to be common stitches. I think it's coming out nice so far.