Drunk neighbours, Henry Cavill and zomboons, oh my!

Reaction score
This evening around dinnertime, I heard the intercom but ignored it because I was faffing about online when I should have been editing my vampire novel. And I knew who it was anyway - my neighbours across the stairwell have always buzzed other tenants to let them into the block instead of using their own intercom pass and I'm sick of it. I've whinged about it on AW before. "I'm not their fucking concierge!" and the like.

Well, a little later, around 7pm, there was an almighty bang; the guy who lives next door was thumping my door. I don't think he was kicking it, but anyway, it was pretty noisy. Someone else must have let them in. He did it a few times before his girlfriend got him back into their flat, still shouting, "You should have let us in; it's fucking freezing out there!"

I swithered about calling the police and eventually got my coat on and slipped out to my dad's house, just to get away and to calm down. I was scared of going past this guy's front door but did it anyway.

I called the police from my dad's and they advised against a police visit because the disturbance was over and I wasn't in physical danger. Too, I said this is completely out of character for him. We've passed each other on the stairs, said hello, they've knocked and asked if I have any spare teabags when they run out, normal neighbour stuff. Nothing like this has ever happened before. In fact, I've ignored their buzzing the intercom before and nothing's come of it. When they get in the block after someone else buzzes them in, they come upstairs, unlock their door, go into their flat, end of story.

Around an hour and a half ago I'm sure I heard someone try my front door.

Five minutes after that, he shouted through the letterbox, "Thanks for letting us in, you bitch!" and that was it. No kicking, no punching, no nothing.

I called the police and was crying on the phone to the woman I spoke to. She advised a police presence this time, because and I quote, "You can't be scared in your own home."

I expressed my concern that this might aggravate him, but she said a talking-to might make him leave me alone. So I'm waiting on the police arriving.

However...ten minutes ago, a taxi pulled up outside with someone in the back. I waited to see who'd pay and get out, but no-one. They were actually here to pick up none other than my neighbour. Maybe the taxi beeped, maybe he was watching out of his window for it, I don't know, but the tenement door opened, he came out, got in the cab and it sped off.

Sorry if this is rambling. I'm sat here crying and shaking and waiting for the police to get here. I hope I did the right thing calling them. I don't want it to make the situation worse after they've been, but then...the guy's left to go God knows where anyway.

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! Poor girl. Can you go stay at your dad's? Have a friend come over? You shouldn't be alone there. :(

Reaction score
My main concern is what happens after this - you know, passing him on the stairs, what if it happens again, and so on...

Maybe a police visit will make him even angrier.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You did the right thing.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You said it was out of character for him. Had he been drinking?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
You did right by calling the police. That's messed up that he could do that. I'm glad for you that likely he'll be gone--hopefully for the night.

Perhaps in the next few days--after you have both calmed down--approach him to find out why he did what he did. Since it sounds like you're usually on good terms with him, then perhaps you two can come to an understanding. (If he's got the door code, then just use the thing rather than bother others.)

:Hug2: Hang in there, you AW's badass dork!

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Jesus Christ!

You're not their personal gatekeeper. And anyway, what if you'd been in the shower and not even heard the buzzer? They shouldn't rely on other people all the time.

I hope everything turns out okay. The fact that he tried the door--that's spooky. I'm glad the woman on the phone took you seriously and didn't brush it off.

Shelley

Reaction score
You said it was out of character for him. Had he been drinking?
I'm not sure. I've long suspected they might be given to substance abuse but they've always been docile, friendly, no bother at all. This is a real shock.

All kidding aside, is it even possible to maintain a high or a bad trip from 6pm or thereabouts to 2 in the morning?

You'd have thought his anger would fade from then, but he still shouted through my door at me just after one this morning. Course, I had the privacy button on so perhaps he'd been pressing the intercom and I didn't hear it, but even so...that's a long time to stay angry at someone simply for not picking up the intercom handset.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
All kidding aside, is it even possible to maintain a high or a bad trip from 6pm or thereabouts to 2 in the morning?

Yes it is--it can go on far, far longer than that. Days in some cases, especially with things like meth or acid.

I'm not a drug user, but many family members are. (Extended family, I should point out!)

Shelley

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can talk to his girlfriend tomorrow.

The guy might even apologize. Sometimes people realize they've stepped over the line. I think there's a good chance this guy will.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's so awful! There's really no telling. If he's doing meth, he certainly could act like that for that long and more.

I know this sounds like being a pussy, but you might leave a simple note of apology and jot down that you have migraines -- tell them it's nothing personal at all.

I know it's a cop-out, but I learned the hard way not to fuck with crazy people. With some folks, just steer clear of confrontation at all.

I am glad you called the cops, though, reagrdless of confrontation. What else could you do?

Reaction score
You did right by calling the police. That's messed up that he could do that. I'm glad for you that likely he'll be gone--hopefully for the night.

Perhaps in the next few days--after you have both calmed down--approach him to find out why he did what he did. Since it sounds like you're usually on good terms with him, then perhaps you two can come to an understanding. (If he's got the door code, then just use the thing rather than bother others.)

:Hug2: Hang in there, you AW's badass dork!
I mentioned this in the bordello too, and kuwisdelu strongly advised against approaching either of them. I agree with him.

Regarding the door, there's no code. There's a little widget you hold up to the panel, the door buzzes and opens, and you get in. If you don't have the pass key, you have to buzz someone's flat to let you in.
Jesus Christ!

You're not their personal gatekeeper. And anyway, what if you'd been in the shower and not even heard the buzzer? They shouldn't rely on other people all the time.

I hope everything turns out okay. The fact that he tried the door--that's spooky. I'm glad the woman on the phone took you seriously and didn't brush it off.

Shelley
Yeah, I know. And as a tenant, he should have his own key. I bet he's lost them. When you move in, the council give you three. I have one myself, I've given my dad one, and I have the third kept as a spare. It costs £40 for a replacement set, so whatever my neighbours have done with theirs, they're obviously too cheap to shell out for new.

Anyway, trying the door. I don't want to think about that. I'm telling myself he stumbled against the handle or it was me hearing him lift the letterbox rather than turning the handle. I'm just going to try to forget about that.

It's an hour and twenty since I called the police. I've had no sleep, but I probably won't sleep at all tonight anyway.

What worries me is coming and going, passing on the stairwell, what if he starts something then? I can't let the stress get to me though.

I've been praying, too. Yeah, me. Praying.

Reaction score
That's a good idea about the note of apology. What do other folks think? Might be like pouring oil on troubled waters, so to speak. I don't mind looking like a pussy if you guys think it might help calm things down.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Scarlett, going completely against the grain of what I'd do, bullied kids (and I'm certain it applies to all ages) have been instructed to be stoic, and not show emotion. Keep your temper and not be provocative. A mea culpa note on his door with the message "Very sorry I didn't respond to the buzzer. I know you're upset, but perhaps we could have some buzzer signal for me to know it's you and it's safe."

I wouldn't sound off unless I'd heard professionals tell these things to kids...

Me? I'd knife the fugger in the kidneys for you, but you're a long plane ride away.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good idea about the note of apology. What do other folks think? Might be like pouring oil on troubled waters, so to speak. I don't mind looking like a pussy if you guys think it might help calm things down.
You could draft a note and hang onto it until you see him next and are able to gauge his mood. Like others have said, the light of day might make him see reason and he might be coming to apologize to you.

You didn't do anything wrong.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
god, thats awful. I'm so sorry that you were put through that.

I don't know what to suggest, but I do know that I wouldn't want to approach them. That just seems risky.

Anyway. Hopefully they will approach you and explain, or appologize. That woman on the phone is right, no one should be afraid in their own home.

Reaction score
Police still not here. I was going to go out tomorrow but overdue library books and missing groceries pale in comparison to getting some sleep and waiting for this to blow over.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I say wait first, then maybe.

You don't have to make any decision right now. You're in a bit of a shock. So, just wait. Call for help if you need it.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

It may calm him down, but what about the next time you don't feel like opening the door for him?

Do you have any friends you can take for backup to go have a civil "Look dude, what were you thinking?" chat with him?

Reaction score
Wait, wasn't them. I saw a police car slow down outside and assumed it was my call out they were answering, but they must have been letting other traffic pas t or slowing down for the mini-roundabout outside my block. *sigh*

Still I wait.

Reaction score
Oh, I meant to add: I also emailed my local council to lodge an anti-social behaviour report. I left my email address and mobile number. Around half an hour later I received an auto-response acknowledging my complaint, telling me it's in the queue and someone will be in touch.