• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader available for humorous/satirical novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
Hi!

I am currently available to beta read humorous/satirical novels. It doesn't really matter what genre they're in. The satire/humor authors I have particularly enjoyed are:Terry Pratchett, Marian Keyes, Jonathan Safran Foer, Winston Groom, Oscar Wilde, Jerome K Jerome, Douglas Adams, Jasper Fforde.

So you can see that my definition is pretty wide - as long as its witty and clever and makes me smile, I would count that as "humor".
I don't have many genres that I won't read (and those probably don't overlap with humor/satire anyway). Mostly I won't beta nonfiction, though; I don't really know enough about the market.

Critique Style

I'll give you general feedback on plot arcs, pacing, characters and of course, how funny it is - what works for me, what doesn't.
I will point out spelling and grammar errors (but I would hope that the MS has been thoroughly edited by you in the first instance)
At the end of each chapter, I'll provide general remarks.

Notes:

- I may ask you to return the favor later (I'm working on a UF satire at the moment). So please only contact me if you'd potentially be open to betaing my novel sometime this year. Sure, it may not work out that way, but I'd like to have the possibility.
- I really want to help people get published, but that can only happen if I'm working with a late draft (not first draft!), and it has been thoroughly edited for spelling and grammar errors.

About Me

I have written two novels, one of which is currently on submission. I am agented by DMLA in New York. There is a lot of humor in the novels I write, but I am only now writing my first actual humor novel (one of my two WIPs).
I have recently beta'd a full mystery MS from a very talented AWer. The experience was most enjoyable. He very kindly described my advice as "astute, on-point and helpful" and said "you've hit upon things that will help improve the ms and make little bits and pieces come alive."

Contacting Me

It's probably best if you PM me your Query letter and the first chapter. I'll let you know if the novel sounds like something I can give feedback on, and we'll go from there!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.