PDA

View Full Version : Question for Americans Only

Dario D.
02-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Just wondering... (this is not a trick question, or trying to make Americans feel dumb in any way. I'm just wondering how big of a country Americans feel like they live in, in reference to the rest of the world)

PeterL
02-04-2011, 06:33 PM
The U.S.A. is about 5% of the world's population. You question didn't ask that. I initially thought that you were asking what percent of the worl likes Americans.

Skyler
02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I intuitively feel like America is roughly half the world in terms of importance. In terms of population, probably not quite that, but it feels like we're bigger than anyone else (even though China is actually way more populous than we are).

Snowstorm
02-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I picked 5%. Population-wise, I think we're fairly small, coupled with that I feel the US isn't the end-all-be-all in world importance.

ladyleeona
02-04-2011, 08:27 PM
We comprise about 5% of the world's population.

dpaterso
02-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Just wondering... (this is not a trick question, or trying to make Americans feel dumb in any way. I'm just wondering how big of a country Americans feel like they live in, in reference to the rest of the world)
Including North American and South American continents?

-Derek

quickWit
02-04-2011, 09:17 PM
I call bullshit. The poll only goes to 40%
I personally believe it should go to at least 85%, such as.

Drachen Jager
02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
America has 25% of the world's imprisoned population.

Sarpedon
02-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, how does one "feel" a percentage, without calculations? Its not as if a percentage is a natural concept, like 'warm.'

mscelina
02-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I was wondering that too. But, being a dumb American, maybe it's just beyond my grasp.

:Wha:

quickWit
02-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I was wondering that too. But, being a dumb American, maybe it's just beyond my grasp.

:Wha:

I feel 37% of the u.s. american love in this thread.

Williebee
02-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Which Americans? North and South? Central? Native?

mscelina
02-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I feel 37% of the u.s. american love in this thread.

Well that's 15% more than I feel, and somewhat less than 82.7% of what some others feel, but it's still 100% bullshit.

Wow...all those percentages...they make my feeble little brain just spin...I can't handle numbers. Give me words--those I'm capable of understanding.

KaiaSonderby
02-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I confess to some curiosity. What is this research for, precisely?

KaiaSonderby
02-04-2011, 10:05 PM
There is no research, nor any real question. He's just posting something to get the links in his signature noticed.

I had a feeling he might be up to something, but I figured it best to be diplomatic until I was sure. :D

quickWit
02-04-2011, 10:08 PM
63% of women felt it prudent to be diplomatic when first posting in this thread.

tee hee...felt it...

kalencap
02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Given country (singular) is in the description, I thought the question was clear enough. Given the current world population, the answer in percent isn't going to be a whole number anyway (World pop. of people is greater then 6.2 billion.)

PeterL
02-04-2011, 10:18 PM
There is no research, nor any real question. He's just posting something to get the links in his signature noticed.

I didn't notice the links, but I'll make a point to avoid looking at his post again.

maggi90w1
02-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, how does one "feel" a percentage, without calculations? Its not as if a percentage is a natural concept, like 'warm.'
I thought the same thing...strange question.

blacbird
02-05-2011, 12:42 AM
That 5% (slightly less than that, actually) still makes the U.S. the world's third most populous nation, trailing only China and India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

Cella
02-05-2011, 12:51 AM
There is no research, nor any real question. He's just posting something to get the links in his signature noticed.perhaps, but Dario's posted goofy questions before...? right?

:)

Dario D.
02-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, how does one "feel" a percentage, without calculations? Its not as if a percentage is a natural concept, like 'warm.' Heh, you're thinking too far into it. ;) You "feel" a generic sense of size, then just try to translate that into a percentage.

I confess to some curiosity. What is this research for, precisely?
I do articles on stuff that often goes over public perception, here (http://www.alphaila.com/articles/). I was thinking about a line where I point out that only 15% of the world population lives in a developed country, and "rich" westerners seem to very, very easily forget that.

Not true at all. (I've posted 12 threads in the past YEAR, and I only post replies in my own threads. I don't zip around, posting replies everywhere. [update as per a below comment: at least in the past year, I do this... I used to reply normally, to random threads, back when I used the forum more.])

This message has been deleted by alleycat (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=1845). Reason: Sorry, I wouldn't give you the time of day.Mistakenly, you believe that my "expenses of obesity" thread was intentionally offensive, but my promise to you, carved in stone, is that it was 100% innocent. (I don't hold anything against you about this, though, because it does take some humanity to publicly stand against someone that you DO actually think is a poopsack)

whacko
02-05-2011, 01:48 AM
As this thread is for Americans only, I conclude that you think you make up 100% of the world.:evil

Greenify13
02-05-2011, 02:01 AM
TBH, I think it's somewhere between 3 and 5, but I suppose that's not the point...wait, what point?

Not true at all. (I've posted 12 threads in the past YEAR, and I only post replies in my own threads. I don't zip around, posting replies everywhere.)

Oh, wow. You have over 300 posts, and each of them only come from replying to threads that you have made?

Am I the only one who sees this and finds it strange? Surely even you can see how this can be odd and sounding quite narcissistic.

dpaterso
02-05-2011, 02:43 AM
This is Story Research forum, folks, not a boxing ring, so let's assume the OP wants this info for a good reason. Answer the poll question if you feel like it, and don't answer if you don't.

-Derek

Dario D.
02-05-2011, 03:11 AM
As this thread is for Americans only, I conclude that you think you make up 100% of the world.:evil

lol, well, I assume you're joking. :) Otherwise: heh, what about concluding that I'm only curious about how Americans see Americans? ;)

Oh, wow. You have over 300 posts, and each of them only come from replying to threads that you have made?
In the past year, yes. Before that, most of my posts were normal replies to random threads. (you can lookup my posts)

Surely even you can see how this can be odd and sounding quite narcissistic.
That's a touchy claim, for the person on the receiving end. :( (btw, I study narcissism and sociopathy, and recently posted a poll (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200274) on it. In fact, if you're using the psychologist's definition of narcissist, there isn't a worse word you could call somebody. Not that you meant it in a grave way at all... just saying.)

Greenify13
02-05-2011, 05:58 PM
In the past year, yes. Before that, most of my posts were normal replies to random threads. (you can lookup my posts)

That's a touchy claim, for the person on the receiving end. :( (btw, I study narcissism and sociopathy, and recently posted a poll (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200274) on it. In fact, if you're using the psychologist's definition of narcissist, there isn't a worse word you could call somebody. Not that you meant it in a grave way at all... just saying.)

Well then that makes more sense! I wasn't meaning it in a truly horrible way, not at all. And as someone who knows a sociopath, though sadly later then I would have hoped to have known such a thing, I get it. Just the way you were saying it made it seem and sound like you were only concerned with matters you make and bring up. And ah the memories would kick in.

Anyway, I think that in the end, this poll could prove useless. Using Americans as a whole wouldn't do you much since there are so many factors related to how Americans view themselves. Age, a big factor, ask a younger person and they may have a different view then someone older. Location, someone in a heavily populated area may have a differing view then someone who lives or grew up in a town of mere thousands. There is more but those two alone hold great weight.

Dario D.
02-07-2011, 09:10 AM
:)
Btw, you're right that different groups have completely different POV's, but collecting an average can still tell you something about... well, the overall average. :)

Rachel Udin
02-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Are we measuring US ego? cause American ego, as a culture is full tilt at around 99.9% (as in holier than thou).

If we are measuring population, then 5%.

If we are measuring North, central and South, then it's more than 5%.

If you are going by how much importance the US has to the rest of the world, I'd put it at 3%.

How much ego should the US knock down, I'd say at least 85%.

Are we going for truthiness here? 'Cause I kind of feel that your facts of 5% are wrong. And I feel that 85% of the US, is also wrong in the idea of a superior free nation, but that's truthiness speaking.

And yes, I'm a bit more cynical towards the US after traveling to other places and seeing how egotistic the US is.

As for the rest of America, well, I think they like Nafta, and they feel the population of the US really needs to drop some of the truthiness. At least 50% have a love-hate relationship. But that's more truthiness.

Chase
02-08-2011, 12:45 AM
How can anyone answer such a confusing poll?

I have friends in Chile who think they're Americans. Same with an Inuit guide I've hunted with in northern Canada.

Do you mean U.S. citizens? If so, I'm one, and I feel we make up three to five percent of the world's population, because I pay attention to current demographic data.

AllieKat
02-08-2011, 01:01 AM
This actually is a pretty confusing question. I answered ten percent, thinking you meant land mass (how big a country) in percentage to the rest of the habitable world.

...And apparently that's really wrong. *g (Actually, what IS the percentage of land that's the USA versus the rest of the habitable world? I don't know!)