PDA

View Full Version : I stink! How about you?

Rose colored glasses
10-12-2005, 02:09 AM
I'm not kidding....I really reek right now. I went to Macy's and sprayed on one too many perfume testers.:Ssh: The intense aroma is mainly a combo of Sarah Jessica Parker's "Lovely", which was almost sold out, in case anyone is interested, and Lancome "Tresor". Phew! I need a shower.

So I was wondering, what are you favorite scents? Do you like more powerful scents, or subtle ones?

Carole
10-12-2005, 02:40 AM
I'm not kidding....I really reek right now. I went to Macy's and sprayed on one too many perfume testers.:Ssh: The intense aroma is mainly a combo of Sarah Jessica Parker's "Lovely", which was almost sold out, in case anyone is interested, and Lancome "Tresor". Phew! I need a shower.

So I was wondering, what are you favorite scents? Do you like more powerful scents, or subtle ones?
In the Spring & Summer I like clean scents like lavender, cucumber-melon or grapefruit-peppermint, this time of year I like spicy scents, my favorite being Shiseido's feminite du bois which I can't find anywhere...cuz, like, they stopped manufacturing it. A lot of scents I wear, I make myself. Lately I really like Egyptian Musk with a little Patchouli and a little Clove with a drop or two of Rose Geranium.

I used to really like Lancome's Tresor, but I got burned out on it. I still prefer Magic Noir over any of their other scents.

ANNIE
10-12-2005, 03:49 AM
I like anything that smells clean like soap and water and haven't found anything i really like yet. I have Vera wang right now but it doesn't do it for me.

robeiae
10-12-2005, 03:53 AM
Why don't they make perfume that smells like spicy chicken wings and cold beer?

Rob :)

Honey Nut Loop
10-12-2005, 03:57 AM
well being a rider i daily end up smeeling of horse. Get a whiff of that. I don't notice it but my brother sure does. As for spicy chicken wings. Yum but i wouldn't want to smell of them 24/7

maestrowork
10-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Rob stinks.

robeiae
10-12-2005, 04:13 AM
<---- see avatar
When you change your avatar back to your picture Ray, I'm gonna remember this post and start a thread with a link to it...I'll call it 'Ray Stinks'

Carole
10-12-2005, 04:17 AM
I like anything that smells clean like soap and water and haven't found anything i really like yet. I have Vera wang right now but it doesn't do it for me.
Have you tried bath & body works cotton blossom? YUM! It's a little powdery smelling, but clean at the same time. My boys get a set for me every Christmas.

Rob, I don't think that exists because everyone would be chewing your arms & legs off... and you'd probably look really funny without arms & legs.

robeiae
10-12-2005, 04:25 AM
Rob, I don't think that exists because everyone would be chewing your arms & legs off... and you'd probably look really funny without arms & legs.
It's perfume Carole; I think you'd be the one with the bite marks. The question is: Is that what you're looking for?

Vanessa
10-12-2005, 04:27 AM
Good topic. I don't wear any full blown perfumes or colognes.
I absolutely can not stand any strong fragrances. I will sneeze, eyes water and turn red, throat clog up and sinuses back up big time leaving me with a terrible headache.

I found something about 5 years ago, that I use. It's Moonlight Path from Bath and Body Works. I use the body soap, body mist, and lotion. And I use the mild version. It's has a wonderful fresh clean scent. And it doesn't bother my skin or my sinuses.

I remember when I was in Barnes and Noble and a good-looking guy walked past me down one of the aisles. I could smell him long before he got to me. That was a HUGE turn-off for me. He was lit up!:) It's like he poured the bottle on himself.

Perks
10-12-2005, 04:35 AM
I'm not a perfume gal myself. No smelly stuff. Just soap. That being said, I do have to resist dabbing almond extract at my wrists and behind my ears. It's my favorite scent. How weird is that? Given my druthers, I'd smell like marzipan...

maestrowork
10-12-2005, 04:38 AM
rob, look at post #7... the comment points at YOUR avatar...

robeiae
10-12-2005, 04:44 AM
rob, look at post #7... the comment points at YOUR avatar...
Ha-ha! This is true, but when I link to your post, that's all anyone will see. Like this: Ray Stinks (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=355707&postcount=6)

As a matter of fact...

astonwest
10-12-2005, 04:49 AM
This place (http://www.lizzieslather.com/) has lots of merchandise that smells good...in my opinion.

Rose colored glasses
10-12-2005, 04:57 AM
This is what happens when men ( aston excluded) join in on a thread like this...Rob wants to smell like chicken, and Ray smells like Pepe Le Pew.:faint: :tongue

I love Cotton Blossoms. My problem is that my sense of smell has been evolving the past few years so I get sick of smells quickly, and I can't stand anything too strong. I used to always choose floral scents, but now I lean towards spicy. I try to get samples, because by the time I use one up, I'm already sick of it.
I don't know about gnawing off arms and legs of someone who smells like food. There are a lot of perfumes and potions that smell and sometimes even taste like food. Personally, I'd rather eat a cupcake than smell like one.

Shwebb
10-12-2005, 05:03 AM
Anyone here like the smell of patchouli? (Not sure if I spelled it right.) I can't stand the stuff--smells like equal parts of silage and body odor to me, but I know some folks really go for it.

I just read an article that said people perceive you as up to ten years younger if you are wearing a perfume that smells like grapefruit.

Jenny
10-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Um, I thought the thread title referred to a newspaper article about a study re the French and how French men really are stinky. Um, not offend anyone, perhaps I should say I don't believe it ;)

In terms of lovely fragrances, does anyone use sandalwood? http://www.mtromancedirect.com.au/Default.asp The body spray is lovely. And yeah, I'm West Aussie so its a case of promoting semi-local industry.

Sarita
10-12-2005, 05:17 AM
I have 2 smells. Chanel No. 5, Lemon Verbena from Gap. But most of the time I just smell like me, which I'm told is a combination of citrus, sugar, and dirt. Heh. Probably because I only use Aveda skin/hair products.

Gehanna
10-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Polo, a man's cologne, makes me salivate like a Pavlovian dog. *grin*

I wear Obsession.

poetinahat
10-12-2005, 09:32 AM
A friend sent me a Wicked recipe for bay rum. Too bad it's going to take a month to get the finished result.

Anyway, that's what I like to smell like. Response is not unanimous. Shrug.

What do I like to smell on others? There are a lot of interesting ideas here -- but to me, it's making the effort to wear a scent that counts more than the scent itself. Some are more appealing than others, but to me, it's 95% situation and intent. I do have a great fondness for just-kissed bare skin, though. But that's really past the perfume stage.

Oh, yes: patchouli is not an acceptable substitute for a shower....

September skies
10-12-2005, 09:45 AM
When I graduated from High School, my sister (who was tired of my Sweet Honesty by Avon) gave me some real perfume: White Linen by Estee Lauder. And I've been wearing that ever since. I have tried switching, but love it too much and it has become my signature scent.

The only other scent I occasionally wear is Ralph Lauren's "Romance"

WVWriterGirl
10-12-2005, 10:20 AM
I wear the Vanilla Lace scent from Victoria's Secret. My husband loves it, says it reminds him of fresh-baked cake. I guess that's a good thing...

The other one I've been wearing is a Bath and Body Works Gardenia perfume. I like it, and so does he, but not like the VS one. I also like Estee Lauder's Pleasures. I wore it for years, but I can't any longer - it makes me itch. Ahh, well, growing older...blech...

aadams73
10-12-2005, 01:17 PM
In fall/winter I wear Angel, Lolita Lempicka, or Luctor et Emergo. In spring/summer I wear Kors or Chanel #5 depending on my mood.

JoeEkaitis
10-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Brut, when it's on sale. Ditto: Old Spice, Aqua Velva, etc. Skin Bracer otherwise.

tjwriter
10-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Vanilla Fields in summer/spring and Vanilla Musk in fall/winter.

Did I mention I like vanilla?

aka eraser
10-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Eau De Poisson.

Cats love me.

Carole
10-12-2005, 06:32 PM
It's perfume Carole; I think you'd be the one with the bite marks. The question is: Is that what you're looking for?

Hey..I have known men who wore perfume. One man in particular...big, BIG super hunky-sexy Italian guy. He wore Estee Lauder Beautiful. Let's just say that it TOTALLY worked on him!

As for bite marks? Heheh. I have a sticker...on my sewing machine, no less, that says, "I leave bite marks".

A friend sent me a Wicked recipe for bay rum. Too bad it's going to take a month to get the finished result.

Bay Rum is easy to find here. I'd be willing to bet that if you found a website for any common drugstore around here (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid) you could order it cheap-cheap. My brother tried making cologne for himself a couple of years ago (he didn't have the benefit of a recipe). It was hysterical. It was way too strong so he had to keep diluting it. He made a huge mistake trying to color it with a slight tint of green. He didn't know how far food coloring goes. I think he still has two gallon jugs of highly flammable neon green Cedar-Sage something or other under his kitchen sink!

And as for Patchouli? I looooooove Patchouli. And I bathe. So There! Ha!

Carole
10-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Brut, when it's on sale. Ditto: Old Spice, Aqua Velva, etc. Skin Bracer otherwise.
A man after my own heart! Nothing beats the good old fashioned stuff. Hubby has Old Spice and it makes me go weak in the knees when he uses it.

mistri
10-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Ooooh, exciting thread.

I particularly love www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com)

The site may seem a little overwhelmingly gothy at first, but I'm not a goth and think the scents are fantastic - and many have literary references, too.

For example, there's a catalogue Alice in Wonderland series of scents (Alice is carnation, rose and milk, I think). And at the moment there's a limited edition Edgar Allan Poe series.

Some of the perfumes are wonderfully evocative. Who could resist Penny Dreadful, for example? My favourite perfume oil from them at the moment is Dragon's Milk, but other faves include Dorian (smells of tea and citrus and sugar!), Black Opal, Hell's Belle and Kali.

Orders usually take two months to arrive, unfortunately, but it's fairly easy to buy them on ebay/forums and they're worth the wait.

JoeEkaitis
10-12-2005, 08:17 PM
A man after my own heart! Nothing beats the good old fashioned stuff. Hubby has Old Spice and it makes me go weak in the knees when he uses it.And whatever happened to English Leather, Russian Leather, Jade East and Hai Karate ("Be Careful How You Use It")?

Carole
10-12-2005, 08:31 PM
And whatever happened to English Leather, Russian Leather, Jade East and Hai Karate ("Be Careful How You Use It")?
Daddy always used English Leather...until Mom contaminated his bureau with stuff like Paul Sebastian.

arrowqueen
10-13-2005, 12:31 AM
I like 'Raffinee' - which I always pronounce with a suave French accent, to show how posh I am.

Unfortunately the last time I went to buy some, the less-than-couth assisant bellowed to the other end of the shop: 'Here, Isa, we goat onny o' that "Raffinny" stuff left?'

It never seemed quite so classy after that. (Sigh.)

astonwest
10-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Um, I thought the thread title referred to a newspaper article about a study re the French and how French men really are stinky. Um, not offend anyone, perhaps I should say I don't believe it ;)

Having spent two years in college rooming with French men (not by choice), I'd have to disagree with you...

StoryG27
10-13-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm very sensetive to smells. Everyone has a natural odor, some pleasing, some nausiating. (FYI, I can seriously smell sex lingering in a room or on a person if he or she doesn't wash afterward...yep, that's why I'm eyeing you in the gorecry aisle). Thank goodness allergies often stuff me up a bit. I love the smell of vanilla, as long as it's not too strong...actually, that goes for any good smell. I love the smell of baby lotion. Sometimes I open the bottle and just sniff (yes, I'm the crazy lotion sniffer lady, getting all hopped up on prefumes). Actually, every time I smell it, it brings back tactile memories of my babies being, well, babies, and rubbing that all over their chubby, wriggling bodies after a bath. I think the sexiest smell on guys is just a clean smell. I love smelling the fresh scent of soap on a man, (and hey, if the scent is saturated with more berry smells than my grandmother's garden, I know the company he prefers...useful in my single days). Though I don't mind SUBTLE colognes on guys, but it has to be the right aroma on the right guy. The same one doesn't work for all. I know my hubby will ocassionally just use the tinest bit of cologne and it drives me wild.

Carole
10-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Hubby used to use Opium for men and it had the same effect, Story...drove me wild! Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore. It's a lot different from Opium for Women. Not near as thick/heavy/spicy smelling. It's spicy, but it doesn't smell like you'd need a spatula to apply it.

maestrowork
10-13-2005, 03:04 AM
(FYI, I can seriously smell sex lingering in a room or on a person if he or she doesn't wash afterward...yep, that's why I'm eyeing you in the gorecry aisle).

Is that why you hang out in my house of love?

Fractured_Chaos
10-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Polo, a man's cologne, makes me salivate like a Pavlovian dog. *grin*

I wear Obsession.

*snickers* I've been known to stop, turn around, and follow men wearing Polo.

Of course I control myself better since the restraining orders.