I need a dagger...

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
The murder weapon in my WIP is about 8" long and very sharp. I prefer something with teeth on the top edge, closer to the handle, curved (resembles something of a filet knife).
Earlier in the ms, the killer purchases this dagger (to add to his collection) from a Guns and Knife Show for around $1000.

All ideas are greatly appreciated.

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
Happy to help--though I think you need to give us more info.

1) Antique, historical replica, or modern construction?
2) What does "teeth on the top edge" mean? What are you considering the "top edge" (the spine/back/side opposite the cutting edge)? And are you thinking like Rambo-style teeth, serrations, or what?
3) Is the whole thing 8" or just the blade?

FYI, unless the knife is either an antique or from a very well-known smith using specialized techniques, $1,000 is damned expensive. Especially for a gun show piece.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, GregS.

Antagonist takes a colleague to a Gun & Knife Show, where he buys a dagger to add to his collection. He explains to his colleague to be very careful with the handle because --- (couple words about the description). I'm thinking something antique, but not breakable.

A few chapters later, a woman is found dead with a knife would to the abdomen. Wound is about 8" deep. Murder weapon is definitely not a common kitchen knife. Very sharp on one side and jagged on the other. But the jagged marks are only about an inch deep.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
The murder weapon in my WIP is about 8" long and very sharp. I prefer something with teeth on the top edge, closer to the handle, curved (resembles something of a filet knife).
Earlier in the ms, the killer purchases this dagger (to add to his collection) from a Guns and Knife Show for around $1000.

All ideas are greatly appreciated.

The Japanese tanto can be anywhere from 15 to 30 cm, which, in Japanese, would be one shaku. Most tanto are curved. The sori, curvature, is generally much less than a katana, wakizashi, and especially a tachi, but most had curves to accentuate slashing. Primarily, it was a stabbing dagger in combat, but its slight curve not only gives it added strength due to the martensite composition compared to the lower carbon spine (for durability and a very sharp edge) but also allowed it to cut and slash.

They were not, however, serrated in any which way or form. That would ruin the concept of a curve, which would slow the slash down and make the wound far less deep (although more wide, instead).

A handmade one could go for $10,000 if antique, $4,000 if not and also made in Japan. Made in other countries, not with traditional tamahagane, it can range anywhere from $500 to $1,500. The tanto I use in practice is $450, made from Swedish powdered steel, with some cost-cutting measures, such as reducing the samegawa to inserts instead of full wrapping.

Last edited:

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds cool...though are you absolutely married to that description?

Saw-backed knives are mostly military survival knives (and are straight) or are the stuff of movies. Almost everything else that has any kind of partial serration (a serrated edge occupying less than half the blade) only has it on the edge side--with the exception of some select sporting knives and I've never seen them curved.

Now, you could either go with something funky and custom (which would explain the ultra-high cost) or you could put the serration on the edge side.

Either way, if you're looking for a curved exotic that people rarely use (thus making it a point of curiosity within the book), I would go with a Karambit. They're unusual, come in a range of sizes, and could easily include a partial serration.

Or, if curved isn't important, you could do one of the afore-mentioned military knives.

Last edited:

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Nick and Greg. Sounds like you have given me exactly what I need.

The biggest description I'm married to is something not found in every kitchen and something a collector would want to spend money for. Something about it that catches a collector's eye. I want to draw enough attention to it, but not too much.

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score