A question of class regarding AW sigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean? Too much information? Pictures that take up too much space?

Deleted member 42

There's a character limit; the character count includes formatting codes.

There's a size limit on images, as well as a dimension limit.

Does that answer your question?

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
When the computer says NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Nice cover, dude.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh Medi has a new avie! I like it!

*cowers slightly, considering* Meep.

Um, what. Oh. As long as it isn't too 'in your face' is fine with me. Ofc 'in your face' is subjective. A full size or even half size cover might do it. :D

I loves it! It is sooo cute. A stripey critter with a beak - d'you think he was imagined by a monk who was high on home brew?

Deleted member 42

I loves it! It is sooo cute. A stripey critter with a beak - d'you think he was imagined by a monk who was high on home brew?

I always post a note about my avatar in my Visitor Messages. This is a marginal illustration from The Luttrell Psalter, a medieval manuscript in the British Library. Here's a larger image.

This is one of the more important mss. because the decorative illustrations show English rural labors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
Oooh Medi has a new avie! I like it!

*cowers slightly, considering* Meep.

Um, what. Oh. As long as it isn't too 'in your face' is fine with me. Ofc 'in your face' is subjective. A full size or even half size cover might do it. :D

So do you think mine is ok? Like it's the same size as yours, but then again, like gothicangel said; I like to write little one and two-line posts so my sig ends up bigger than those. Does it come across like I'm bragging or trying to sell something because I'm not (although, admittedly, I'm proud... just sort of saying, "See? I'm one of you guys; a real writer, and I am proud to be among your ranks!" That's what I'm thinking of it, but is it being seen that way? If it isn't, DON'T BUY MY BOOK! I'm just wearing my writer's enthusiasm in my sig! :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Does it come across like I'm bragging or trying to sell something because I'm not (although, admittedly, I'm proud... just sort of saying, "See? I'm one of you guys; a real writer, and I am proud to be among your ranks!"

It's fine; no worries!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I like it! That's nice of you to ask, I think :)

Deleted member 42

Thanks y'all :) One other thing; can I make the book cover smaller (I think there is a min. size) and is that advisable (how small is just too small)?

I wouldn't decrease it more than 10% or so, personally, though I might, were I doing that, attempt to lighten / brighten it a little.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I always post a note about my avatar in my Visitor Messages. This is a marginal illustration from The Luttrell Psalter, a medieval manuscript in the British Library. Here's a larger image.

This is one of the more important mss. because the decorative illustrations show English rural labors.

I love the Luttrell Psalter - I used to use the "woman with chickens" picture as my avvie on gardening/poultry forums.

The book cover size looks about right, to me, but as Medievalist says, a bit of image manipulation might help. You could lighten it a bit, but not too much otherwise you'll bleach the colours. I tend to use the "curves" colour manipulation function (I worked for a magazine company for a while and helped out the art director on occasion), which is a bit more technical but worth mastering:

Photoshop: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/photoshop-curves.htm

GIMP: http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/gimp_tutorial/levels_curves.html

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
Ah yes, I do the photoshop thing... all over it. EDIT (few days later) got that all taken care of, but now I'm w/a dilemma again. I LOVE my cover for my 2nd book but there is no way it's going to get attention here. Ugh. I like the fine font, the coffee cup, etc. But in order for a small pic like this to possibly grab somebody, the words gotta be bigger. Hmmm. Maybe I could just make an AW-specific cover? No moral issue there?

Last edited:

Royal Mercury

I think I am, therefore....
Registered
Reaction score

That or he ate bread made from wheat tainted with wheat ergot (a precursor to LSD).

Kathryn W

Writer. Bookworm. Idiot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whowasabigailcarter.blogspot.com
I find too many pictures and too much information in the signature off-putting, particularly if the signature is longer than the users post. I like the signatures that are short and unique - the ones that tell me a little about the user without it being in my face.

CarrieAnn

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind seeing small book covers in signatures. In fact, it makes me proud to be a part of such an accomplished community. ;) As for me, I like to use little buttons. Personal preference, that's all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.