William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court rejected an appeal on Tuesday from a Wiccan priestess angry that local leaders would not let her open their sessions with a prayer.

Instead, clergy from more traditional religions were invited to pray at governmental meetings in Chesterfield County, Va., a suburb of Richmond.

Lawyers for Cynthia Simpson had told justices in a filing that most of the invocations are led by Christians. Simpson said she wanted to offer a generalized prayer to the “creator of the universe.”

<snip>

Simpson sued and initially won before a federal judge who said the county’s policy was unconstitutional because it stated a preference for a set of religious beliefs.
Simpson lost at the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which found that the county had changed its policy and directed clerics to avoid invoking the name of Jesus.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9661790/

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. saddened, but not surprised. The Gods forbid politics should be all inclusive when the religions behind them are not.

Tertius

Bliss-ninny
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. I saw this on witchvox. Angers me. I kind of take an all-or-nothing approach. Would yopu tell the Baptists they can't pray because they may offend the Catholics, or vice-versa, etc. Just another shining example of equality at work, right?