• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

I have the Worst Case of Writer's Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

rukkus

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Lately, I've been struggling with why I write and what I want to achieve through my writing.

This seems to have stemmed from my new found admiration for theme and its importance. And to be honest, it has crippled my writing. I can't even fathom writing a work of fiction (comic, novel, screenplay) purely just for entertainment. Fiction is best when it educates as well as entertains. Something that I think has been lost in this modern age... movies especially.

How do I overcome this? It's become so much of a problem that I can't even write a story about, for example, angels and demons because I have convinced myself that by doing so I am admitting to the existence of a higher power (God) which as a hard atheist, I cannot do. I'd feel like I was lying to myself and the reader, which I swore to never do. Sounds silly but that's just the way my mind works at the moment.

I want to get my views across in a way that doesn't force them onto the reader. How do I do that? Do I do it objectively and let the reader decide for themselves? Do I do it in a one sided manner, providing reasons for my bias? How is this best achieved? Going back to my example, how would a story about angels and demons be portrayed in an atheistic way?

As you can see, I'm in a bad way as a writer and would love some guidance.

Oh, and on a side note, let's not turn this into a debate about religion.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I believe I've learned from every fictional book I've read, even the ones I don't think were trying to teach anything.

If the theme is crippling you, I'd suggest facing it first. Write out a theme or two, play around with some rough ideas of stories that would be possible with the themes you've chosen. The theme doesn't have to be brilliant when you first develop it, so cut yourself some slack, and just try it a few times, giving yourself permission to write complete crap at first.

Writer's block is so frustrating. No matter how you approach it, I hope you can get through it quickly. I've been there sooooo many times. Good luck and just keep at it.

Pistol Whipped Bee

Now what?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenniferplace.wordpress.com
Yeah. It looks to me like you take yourself way too seriously.

Do you know how to free write? Do you know how to do it properly? No stopping to think, to address grammar/spelling/punctuation - nada. I suggest trying to get through a couple hours of that several times a day until you hook something.

:)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you are willing to, in your fiction, posit the existence of angels and demons, creatures more powerful than humans, in order to make some comment on the human condition, why would it bother you to posit the existence of a being more powerful than they? And why couldn't you use that to make whatever relevant points you might care to make about the problems you perceive with faith?

On the other hand, if writing about beings from a religious tradition is distressing you so, why not write about something else? Like good water elementals versus evil earth elementals?

rukkus

Registered
Reaction score
Without a doubt I am overthinking it.

And it's true that you can and do learn from every novel you read. But there's a big difference between 1984 and say, a Dean Koontz novel. Don't get me wrong, Koontz is a great writer and quite the machine, but out of the half dozen or so novels I've read by him, none have left a lasting impression, only something like this: "Yea, Life Expectancy was an entertaining, quick read, but that's about it."

I'm still at a loss on how to get past this...

I just need to trick my mind somehow... but that's like convincing someone that Hitler was a good guy...

Last edited:

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
It's become so much of a problem that I can't even write a story about, for example, angels and demons because I have convinced myself that by doing so I am admitting to the existence of a higher power (God) which as a hard atheist, I cannot do. I'd feel like I was lying to myself and the reader, which I swore to never do. Sounds silly but that's just the way my mind works at the moment.
So write a different story.

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
Oh, I don't know. Hitler did a fair enough job getting people to side with him when he was alive.

I'm very much a Christian, but I have a similar problem to you in that I write speculative fiction, with fantasy creatures (and sometimes aliens, though none of that has gone anywhere, yet). One problem I face in every world I create is: How does this fit in God's creation?

Ergo, try approaching your angels and demons from the evolutionary standpoint. Where did they come from? Are angels the next stage of humans? Are demons what happened to dinosaurs? Or did they evolve on separate worlds, are at war with each other, and earth happens to be in their border zone?

rukkus

Registered
Reaction score
Write lots of different stories.

But what if all those stories are doomed to fail, but the one I'm passing up is destined to suceed? :D

serabeara

Very Necessary
Registered
Reaction score
If you want some ideas on angels without "God" maybe you should look at Sharon Shinn's fiction. I've read other fiction as well that brings about angels and demons without God behind them (and I've read fiction that is the opposite, but still is not religious or preachy).

I, personally, prefer ficiton that isn't pushing an obvious theme on me. I still learn things from it. I just don't care to be preached to (and I don't mean that in the religious sense, just in general) so if a book is too blatently pushing a theme or the authors morality I tend to lose patience with it. Very few authors can pull this off in a way that I enjoy. Often it just seems like the author has an inflated sense of self. I don't care what they think about everything, I just want to read a good story, KWIM? But I am just one reader, there are all kinds of us out there.

Last edited:

FocusOnEnergy

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
focusonenergy.wordpress.com
Going back to my example, how would a story about angels and demons be portrayed in an atheistic way?

I was raised an atheist, and angels and demons didn't exist in my view of the world, except as mythical characters in movies and such, like the Greco-Roman pantheon or unicorns.

Other than portraying them as mythical charactaters, or figments of a character's imagination, how about as archetypes representing the choices we make between the right and the wrong?

Focus

serabeara

Very Necessary
Registered
Reaction score
I should also point out that fiction isn't fact. I don't believe in vampires or ghosts but I write about them.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Lately, I've been struggling with why I write and what I want to achieve through my writing.

This seems to have stemmed from my new found admiration for theme and its importance. And to be honest, it has crippled my writing. I can't even fathom writing a work of fiction (comic, novel, screenplay) purely just for entertainment. Fiction is best when it educates as well as entertains. Something that I think has been lost in this modern age... movies especially.

How do I overcome this? It's become so much of a problem that I can't even write a story about, for example, angels and demons because I have convinced myself that by doing so I am admitting to the existence of a higher power (God) which as a hard atheist, I cannot do. I'd feel like I was lying to myself and the reader, which I swore to never do. Sounds silly but that's just the way my mind works at the moment.

I want to get my views across in a way that doesn't force them onto the reader. How do I do that? Do I do it objectively and let the reader decide for themselves? Do I do it in a one sided manner, providing reasons for my bias? How is this best achieved? Going back to my example, how would a story about angels and demons be portrayed in an atheistic way?

As you can see, I'm in a bad way as a writer and would love some guidance.

Oh, and on a side note, let's not turn this into a debate about religion.

Fiction doesn't have to edcuate. I can...but there's nothing wrong with it being just for entertainment. Why do you think if you write a story about angels and demons it would be seen as admitting that you believe in God? If you are writing fiction then your characters, their world, and everything in it is just that fiction.

It does not have to have any ties to the real world or your real beliefs. I write about Greek Gods but that doesn't mean that I think the Greek Gods are real. I don't. I write about them because I enjoy it. Don't worry about writing about a theme either. In my experience themes tend to evolve naturally. That's one of the fun things about writing. Instead of worrying about what your theme is going to be just write and see what the theme becomes. A reoccuring theme in my books is the treatment of women and love and obbession. I never set out for things to be that way that is just how my stories evolve.

Writing has to be fun. Stop over thinking everything and just write. Let your characters and world develop on their own and discover their own theme and importance.

rukkus

Registered
Reaction score
I should also point out that fiction isn't fact. I don't believe in vampires or ghosts but I write about them.

Yea, that's very true, however, unlike vampires around 90% of the world is religious... as an atheist, I'd hate to write a book that turned people to religion. At least without having an understanding of both sides, and making up their own mind.

Fiction doesn't have to edcuate. I can...but there's nothing wrong with it being just for entertainment. Why do you think if you write a story about angels and demons it would be seen as admitting that you believe in God? If you are writing fiction then your characters, their world, and everything in it is just that fiction.

It does not have to have any ties to the real world or your real beliefs. I write about Greek Gods but that doesn't mean that I think the Greek Gods are real. I don't. I write about them because I enjoy it. Don't worry about writing about a theme either. In my experience themes tend to evolve naturally. That's one of the fun things about writing. Instead of worrying about what your theme is going to be just write and see what the theme becomes. A reoccuring theme in my books is the treatment of women and love and obbession. I never set out for things to be that way that is just how my stories evolve.

Writing has to be fun. Stop over thinking everything and just write. Let your characters and world develop on their own and discover their own theme and importance.

Although fiction doesn't have to educate, all the best ones do.

Theme is a tricky thing, just like you mentioned it can indeed evolve naturally and can be interpreted in many ways, but no matter how you look at it, it is perhaps the most important aspect of any story. Everyone knows their theme from the beginning, they unknowingly answer this to some degree when someone asks "What's the story about". Not "What happens" but what is it "about".

Last edited:

amkuska

Professional (Re)Writer
Registered
Reaction score
How do I overcome this? It's become so much of a problem that I can't even write a story about, for example, angels and demons because I have convinced myself that by doing so I am admitting to the existence of a higher power (God) which as a hard atheist, I cannot do. I'd feel like I was lying to myself and the reader, which I swore to never do.

I am a little hesitant to mention this, but I believe the whole point of fiction is to lie to your reader. Reader's purchase the book with the understanding that the story inside never actually happened, and possibly could never happen. If you tell a story, and it isn't real, you are lying.

Non-fiction, on the other hand, is meant to be completely real, or the product is at least believed to be real by the author.

Perhaps you could work on something non-fiction, such as a memoir, while you consider how to handle your issues with theme.

And good luck. I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help. :Shrug:

rukkus

Registered
Reaction score
I am a little hesitant to mention this, but I believe the whole point of fiction is to lie to your reader. Reader's purchase the book with the understanding that the story inside never actually happened, and possibly could never happen. If you tell a story, and it isn't real, you are lying.

Non-fiction, on the other hand, is meant to be completely real, or the product is at least believed to be real by the author.

Perhaps you could work on something non-fiction, such as a memoir, while you consider how to handle your issues with theme.

And good luck. I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help. :Shrug:

That's not exactly what I meant by lying... but to wiggle my way out of this I'll say that it's the characters that lie to the reader, not me :)

Back to what I actually meant about lying... what I meant was that by lying to myself, I am lying to the reader -- through theme. I'm not going to write a story that presents and concludes* with the theme racism, and how hate crimes should not only be acceptable, but encouraged when I clearly feel the opposite.

*The key word here being concludes. Can you imagine if American History X concluded with the themes it presented in the first half?

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
rukkus, I appreciate your problem. I'm a stone atheist but very interested in expressing a worshipful stance towards the world.

The best advice I've come across on handling themes of any kind is that we do well to make a grand argument of it. If we have a thesis, we must present the antithesis and let a comparison of the two synthesize however it will. This could be a gutsy thing to do; we may change our own minds.

You might enjoy reading James Morrow's Godhead trilogy. I think he does an excellent job of bringing everything and the kitchen sink into the story.

amkuska

Professional (Re)Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I see! That makes a lot more sense, and thank you so much for clarifying. I understand what you're getting at. Obviously you don't want to write about the KKK and be so inspiring and positive people run off in huge crowds to join.

Your best bet is not to lie to yourself, and strictly speaking, I don't think you have to worry so much. You've already censored yourself very nicely by pointing out what you wouldn't do...you wouldn't write a book about racism encouraging people to be that way.

You could however, write a book that sheds light on racism, what that person might be thinking when the hate act occurs, and balance it out by showing the pain the victim has. Don't be afraid to show the other side of the story when you write. It adds depth, and it can still show your side of the story too.

I don't think you need to worry about writing a story without a theme, or with one that lies to the reader. You've already expressed a wonderful sensitivity to it, and so I think if you wrote something "off" you'd not only be able to spot it, but find a way to work with it.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
But what if all those stories are doomed to fail, but the one I'm passing up is destined to suceed? :D
Then my advice would doom you to failure.

It's a big 'if' though. But it's your call.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
This seems to have stemmed from my new found admiration for theme and its importance.

Fun fact: Many authors whose works have been accused of having Deep and Meaningful Themes didn't write their books with those particular themes in mind. In some cases, they swore they didn't intentionally put any theme into their books. The theme is almost always interpreted by the reader. Even if there is an intentional theme put there by the author, the reader is likely to discern his or her own theme during the course of reading.

Unless you beat your reader over the head with it, which would be artless and lame, theme will change from reader to reader. C'est la vie.

It's great to recognize the importance that theme has to you, but bear in mind that the authors whose themey work you love may have had a very different take on their work than what you're reading into it.

And that's totally fine. That's the nature of art. It is a mode of expression for the artist, but it's also a mode of expression -- or rather, exploration -- for the audience. A good work of art will provide its viewer with insight into the world's various conditions. It really doesn't matter whether the viewer of the art understands the subject in precisely the same way the artist understands the subject. What counts for everybody involved is the emotional journey of experiencing that particular work of art.

And to be honest, it has crippled my writing. I can't even fathom writing a work of fiction (comic, novel, screenplay) purely just for entertainment.
Entertainment -- just pure, trouble-forgetting, happy-making entertainment -- also elicits and emotional response from the viewer. The joy one feels while being entertained is a real emotion, just as important as any of the "serious" emotions we feel when we consider weighty subjects. The art that provides the viewer with a little light-hearted respite from all the troubles of the world is just as important as the art that makes the viewer consider a social problem or feel the pain of another person.

However, maybe you're not the kind of person who feels drawn to bringing that kind of emotion from his audience. That's totally fine. I can't imagine Cormac McCarthy writing Garfield comic strips, either. Some of us feel compelled to produce a certain type of art, and others feel compelled to produce another type. One isn't better or more serious or more artistic than the other. It's fine for you to produce what you feel compelled to produce, and understand that it will both entertain and elicit emotion, just as a comic strip will.

(I should point out, by the way, that some of the most emotive writing I've ever seen, with some of the most poignant storylines and the most touching characters is in a web comic called Achewood. If you want a lesson in pathos, humor, an deep, deep development of very real characters, start at the beginning of its ten-year archive and read until the most recent strip. It will make you a better writer.)

Are you writing fiction? Fiction is all lies. A lot of people around these-here parts don't like when I say that, but it's true. Fiction is invention. It's untruth. It can be very true on an emotional level, but you're probably writing about people and maybe even places and almost certainly events that never existed. If you want to write nonfiction, that's another story, but if you want to write good fiction you'd better get comfy with making shit up and telling it like it's the truest thing in the world. That's what fiction writers DO.

My guess, though, is that it's really nothing to do with squeamishness over dishonesty, but rather fear of sucking. You don't want to jump in and invent all this crazy fake stuff because you're afraid you won't do it well.

Well, you probably won't at first. It might take you a few passes before you even start to get it right. You might spend a year working on an idea and then discover it's totally unviable and have to trash it. You might fall in love with what you produce and get it critiqued only to find out it's failing in very serious ways and readers don't like it at all. These are all very real fears. These things could happen. One thing's for sure, though. Your stories won't write themselves. You just have to push through your fear of sucking and do it anyway. Suck out loud if you're going to. Give yourself total permission to write absolute shit. Just WRITE. It can all be improved upon later, as you learn more about yourself and about the craft. But there will be nothing to work with if you don't take the dive and write.

I want to get my views across in a way that doesn't force them onto the reader. How do I do that? Do I do it objectively and let the reader decide for themselves? Do I do it in a one sided manner, providing reasons for my bias? How is this best achieved?
Don't worry about the reader. The only person you need to impress right now is you. Write a story that you feel is entertaining (as in, keeps the reader's attention, not necessarily makes them feel like they've watched a Jennifer Aniston film) and makes sense. And don't put so much emphasis on the take-home message in your writing...as I already pointed out, you cannot control what message a reader will find in your writing, nor what theme he will detect there that you never intended to impart. So just don't worry about it. That way lies madness. Just write a story you love and don't trouble yourself over anything else.

Until it's time for revision.

Going back to my example, how would a story about angels and demons be portrayed in an atheistic way?
Tongue in cheek, perhaps?

I'm a hardcore atheist, too. In fact, I've got a radio show (formerly a TV show) about atheism. I'm THAT HARDCORE! But I see nothing wrong with writing any kind of fiction I feel like exploring. In my first novel, the main character is deeply religious and believes she sees visions from her gods (set in ancient Egypt, so we're talking Egyptian gods here). I never specify whether she's really receiving divine visions from a supernatural source, whether she's hallucinating, dreaming, or is insane. I don't care, frankly. All that matters to me is that the experiences are real TO HER, and hopefully I've used her to tell a really great story that readers will love. It's cool with me if readers see it as "mere" entertainment or as something deeper, a commentary on ancient religion and on the plight of women in that society, etc. Whatevs. I can't control what they'll think. All I can do is write a book I'm proud of.

You'll be relieved to know (as am I) that my second novel (in progress) chronicles the journey of a young woman from devout Mormon to atheist. Also, there is a road trip and an extra-marital affair in there. Good times, good times.

Just write, dude. Don't worry about making readers feel anything specific. You can't control that. Let it go and write the book.

Last edited:

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Yea, that's very true, however, unlike vampires around 90% of the world is religious... as an atheist, I'd hate to write a book that turned people to religion. At least without having an understanding of both sides, and making up their own mind.

I can virtually guarantee you that no mere novel about angels and demons, however masterfully written, will turn any reader religious. The complexities of religious opinion are far bigger than "I read a fictional book and I was totally convinced." Generally, it starts with childhood indoctrination and is supported by living in a very pro-religion community. Often there is some kind of personal experience that is the final push over the edge, when the person who has the experience has no knowledge of phenomena like pareidolia, confirmation bias, etc.

Nobody ever went from atheist to believer simply because of a novel.

And everybody who reads fiction understands that it's make-believe, anyway.

Except maybe for some Twilight fans. Some of them might actually believe there are vampires in Forks. There are not. I checked. Thoroughly.

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
You aren't going to know that until you finish them all.

Horrible thought, I know -- but true.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Everyone knows their theme from the beginning, they unknowingly answer this to some degree when someone asks "What's the story about". Not "What happens" but what is it "about".

Um, no? I don't know what my themes are when I begin writing. They normally flow out naturally during the writing process and yes, when asking myself the questions of what the story is about. But that's during the writing process, not before.

Why not simply start writing and see what comes out of that? From there, when you see a theme emerge, you can step back and shape it further.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
That's not exactly what I meant by lying... but to wiggle my way out of this I'll say that it's the characters that lie to the reader, not me :)

Back to what I actually meant about lying... what I meant was that by lying to myself, I am lying to the reader -- through theme.

Which makes you a liar.:evil

Status
Not open for further replies.