Paragraph about my book?

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I have an offer of representation which I'm planning to accept :)eek: holy cow). When I asked the agent what the next steps are, he asked me to write a paragraph about my book, describing the "intent" behind it, which he could quote from in his queries to editors. I have... no idea what that means. Sure, I could ask him for clarification, but I'd rather not waste his time as I'm assuming this is a fairly standard thing. Plus I'm still in the stage where I'm certain he'll say "NEVER MIND I RESCIND THE OFFER" if I so much as cough wrong.

So... can anyone help me out, or do I need to ask him directly?

Last edited:

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I have an offer of representation which I'm planning to accept :)eek: holy cow). When I asked the agent what the next steps are, he asked me to write a paragraph about my book, describing the "intent" behind it, which he could quote from in his queries to editors. I have... no idea what that means. Sure, I could ask him for clarification, but I'd rather not waste his time as I'm assuming this is a fairly standard thing. Plus I'm still in the stage where I'm certain he'll say "NEVER MIND I RESCIND THE OFFER" if I so much as cough wrong.

So... can anyone help me out, or do I need to ask him directly?

He probably means what encouraged or qualified you to write that book. Is there a personal connection to the story at all, maybe a humorous touch? An agent just suggested this to me in a query critique. For example: my book has twins and street racing in it. Agent asked me if I was a twin or worked with twins or did I race cars or have hot rods? I added something about the muscle cars I've owned and a street racing obsession that turned deadly as the idea generator for the book.

Does that make sense?

ETA: just read the other thread about "intent". Now I'm confused!

CONGRATS ON THE OFFER!!!!

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If it's nonfiction, it's a good idea. If it's a novel. the agent is a nincompoop.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Thank you, alleycat and Erin... I'm still a bit bewildered but I'll see if I can slap something like that together, hah!

And James, this agent has worked for forty years at an old and well respected agency, so... I think I'll yield to his judgment on this matter. :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
There was another thread recently where the writer was asking to describe his intent. I'll see if I can find that thread; there might be some information in it that would help you.

Edited to add: See if this thread helps. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201207

This is what I said in my (successful) proposal to that same publisher:

"Having grown up in the former centre of Sherwood Forest, I have been fascinated by English history and folklore for as long as I can remember. Along with my professional background in biology, this provides much of the impetus for my fiction, which often focuses on conflicts between dissimilar cultures and species."

Really, what your agent wants is your USP (unique selling point) that he can use to market you to editors - what drives you to write this kind of book? What's your connection with the theme and/or subject matter?

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Thanks, Corinne! (Same to you; I saw you above me in the Successful Queries thread!)

Anne, that is super helpful. Thank you for sharing. Sounds totally cool, by the way. :)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the offer!!

The intent thing for a novel seems legit. When I had my phone call with an agent, she was really interested to know what the inspiration was for my novel. It probably helps them determine how marketable a book will be. For example, my novel is about (among other things) online relationships between teens. She probably asked me if I'd had experience with that to gauge how qualified I am to write about it, and whether or not I knew exactly how common relationships like that are.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Thank you Becca! :D That makes sense, since over the phone he asked me the same thing, what inspired me to write the novel. I think I should be able to put something together now.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I would also think that intent might entail what do you intend for the reader to take away from reading your work (aside from a good read). This was part of the proposal process for my memoir That was a hard one for me. I had to ask some of my friends and betas who has read my MS for help.

lilacat

Registered
Reaction score
Your agent is asking you to help craft the pitch. People have different types of interesting information.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Different types of book need different types of "intention" paragraphs. As PinkAmy says, with a memoir, the whole point is to give the reader some kind of takeaway feeling or a new perspective on life.

With fiction, the purpose of the book may simply be to entertain, so you have to be a bit more creative!

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I sucked it up and just asked him for clarification. (Good news: he did not rescind the offer. :tongue) He is in fact looking for "what motivated you to write this novel, and how this story evolved for you." So it seems I'll be following Anne's lead. Thanks again for the advice, everyone! Rep points for all!