Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I heard from Lulu again today, and I just have to take a moment to say...

:Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

They're being so wonderful to us, and so supportive of this project. What VIP treatment!

We will have an ISBN in a couple of days. They're waiving *all* up-front costs, including the ISBN registration, and are offering help with anything we need, from formatting to storefront design. They're going to help me set up a private ordering link for review copies at the base rate. They're even offering to approach a corporate sponsor for us.

On that note:

I know I've been hazy on the idea of corporate sponsorships. I was trying to figure out exactly what we need and what we could offer, and how to accept donations.

We're so tight on space and so time-crunched that I'm afraid to offer space in the book itself, but I will gladly list sponsors (and their links, if available) on the SOS website and once in the Absolute Write Newsletter (which goes out to 75,000 writers a week).

We can use sponsorship money toward publicity/advertising costs-- such as buying and mailing review copies and press releases. This would ease the burden from writers who want to send copies to their local media but can't afford to, and would enable us to mail plenty of copies to national and international media.

So! If you know of a company that might help us out, donations to this cause can be made by PayPal to storiesofstrength @jennaglatzer.com (delete space... it's there to confuse spambots). Checks can also be sent to my PO Box, but the company would have to be comfortable with writing a check to my name-- I don't have a bank account for Stories of Strength, and my partner is the one in charge of the Absolute Write bank account (I don't want to mix the two because AW is not a nonprofit). My mailing address is:

Jenna Glatzer
PO Box 621
Islip, NY 11751

I will gladly keep a running tally of donations and how we're using them, and sponsors can be anonymous if they prefer (please note this).

More soon!

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Oh baby baby..................
:Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :ROFL: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Cheers:

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Jenna (or whomever else can answer):

This is new to me re: trying to drum up corporate sponsors for something. I'm hoping I'm not the only for whom it's new so I'll ask: how exactly do approach, and whom? For example, I'd be happy to ask my husband's law firm but

-do I go to their marketing people?
-direct them to the SOS website?
-pitch them re: what it is and why we're doing it and that I have a piece in it?

Any other advice? I'm happy to approach Cleveland-area companies - we have number of large ones but I'm not sure how wide you want to cast the net.

Thanks!

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, the ones I mentioned are on the way. after a few days, let us know what the short-fall is.

Since all proceeds are going to charity, is there an opportunity to recover costs if we need more and I can talk a couple of people to "float" some dinero?

Don't worry, despite the fact that i am in the land of Scarface and Miami Vice, I promise these will be legitimate donations and favors from businesses offering unsniffable, non-smoldering products. And dermics are not hyper to them.

rt

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Jenna, you can set up a separate account for this which can be tagged as n/p, more red tape though.

As for obtaining corporate sponsorship, you need a written proposal which can be walked in. It has to be presented to BOD, approved, etc., not a short process. I'm thinking along the lines of GE whose hq is about 15 min. away from me. Come up w/ a presentation packet and I'll be more than happy to take care of it. Now, I'm gonna go call my uncle.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi! Wait, I should clarify:

We're not looking for big bucks here. We don't need it, and I wouldn't know what to do with it. Honestly, I'd much rather that corporations just buy copies of the book to give to their employees or donate to libraries or community centers or something, rather than making big donations to sponsor SoS.

Figure that it costs about $2 to mail a book by media mail, and $15.95 per book if we pay full price (which we don't have to). A typical publisher mails out about 200 review copies to media outlets. That would be a total of $3590-- or $2590 if we get the discount I expect for reviewers.

Now, deduct from that the cost of what the authors are willing and planning to contribute-- if each author involved buys ONE copy to send to a media outlet, more than half of that cost is gone-- so we're down to about $1295 as our "dream budget."

An anonymous donor has already offered $250 toward review copies, so take it down to $1000 (rounding off), and I know Mike has a company willing and ready to contribute, too.

Okay, given that figure: That's the maximum I want to raise in sponsorships directly to the project. Anything beyond that should either (a) go toward buying copies of the book, which they can use or donate however they like, or (b) be donated directly to the charity of their choice.

Taking out ads in newspapers/magazines, while fun, is usually not an effective way to sell books. The exception is in trade magazines (publishers often take out ads for their "big" books in the book trade magazines), but even that would feel kind of irresponsible to me. I might try to get one of the mags to donate an ad to us. (Hey, you never know. They might just say yes!) Some of Amazon's promotions (buy x, get y, or solo mailings to people who've bought similar books) can be effective, but probably too costly.

So, please don't worry about going about town and drumming up money. If your company, your spouse's company, etc. happens to be the charitable sort and wants to donate $50, that would be great. But please don't feel pressured. We're already off to a good start!

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Thanks, Jenna, for taking the time to clarify. VERY helpful. Will proceed with that information in mind and the idea that the number one thing "sponsors" or any corporate entity could do would be to buy books to give to...whomever as gifts or something along those lines.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
oh.....

[puts back Girls Scout cookie money and emergency grocery pennies]

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thanks!

By the way, I love the bizarreness of all this-- the fact that I actually come in here and say, "Stop working so hard" and "slow down" and stuff. This never happens in the other areas of life. This is such an awesome and enthusiastic group! We're gonna rock the publishing world. :)

Rose colored glasses

Registered
Reaction score
Kudos to LuLu! :Thumbs:

This is great news. I know publication has gone beyond the original time estimate, but I think it's going to be worth it in the long run.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jenna That's great news.

I have a question, as I've already mentioned this, but what about a major retailer who may be interested in carrying this book in their stores? Is this something that LuLu can handle? Meaning - is this a typical procedure for them and can they handle the production as well?

I haven't given the details to this company yet. But I feel that their buyer may be interested in this. And I'm not sure about their rules for Non-profit sales either. But the buyer will fill me in, once I know if it's something Lulu can do.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't this great? I'm jest a-boppin' up and down in my chair at work right now.

If you do know someone who wants to donate something to the project beyond just buying copies of the book, ask them if they'd be willing to cover the costs of getting some posters/flyers etc. printed when we're ready to have you put them up at your local bookstore and library and so on.

For example, where I work up here in a resort town in Canada, the retail cost of a single ledger (poster) sized colour printout is $1.98. If a customer wants 50, that drops to $1.38 apiece for a total of $69 plus tax. Letter size (flyers) are 99¢ each, or 69¢ each for 50+, or $34.50 + tax. For each of us, it could pinch our pocketbooks a bit. But for a company who wants to help, this is a small amount. As I mentioned in another thread, there will be a space at the bottom to hand-write or place a printed sticker acknowledging this kind of donation.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
It is more cost effective again to try and find a company large enough to have their own reprographics division who might actually print them for us! - or a printing company of the type you mention who will let us pay just for the cost of their materials from supplier (donation of time/electricity/equipment use free).

Please everybody keep thinking that the trick isn't to 'get someone else to pay', but to simply not have to pay at all - whoever is 'paying' is giving US money instead of THEM (the victims of the disaster).

Obviously we should pay for whatever essential promotional materials we can't wheedle out of people - but when it comes to THAT then best to wait to see what wheedling can acheive in your area and THEN decide whether 500 leaflets (for example) are even needed - and if you've managed to wheedle window-posters in twenty shops in the highstreet then 500 leaflets is simply not needed at all for that region... think it through, please.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wow - that's great! I'm glad about the Lulu giving us a review copy rate, b/c my budget is beyond stretched right now. I'm seriously poor. Really. I hope we can get someone to donate toward flyers, etc... like I said, really no money.

Every little bit helps!

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Super-duper, Jenna, your star power is showing through.

?????- When will the press release, and poster jpeg do-dad be ready?
I need to get the info to the local redcross, and the bookstore, (the biggest in my county by the way, Woot!) so we can get the press conference and signing set in stone.

Thanks for your reply in advance, Ken

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Let me know what the bookstores say, ok? Because, here's the thing... trying to set up my own book signings, and my book isn't in either B&N or Borders systems yet (the publicist takes care of all that, sending it through the small press department, and she doesn't have final copies, blah, blah... the trials of small press) So, I haven't been able to book any signings until it is.

I know we're getting into the Ingram's database and all, but does the book need to be subbed to the small press departments of those big chains? Maybe Jenna or someone can call them and let them know what's what, to make it easier on us getting signings, and books in the stores??

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
What's delaying the process right now is the Red Cross. I'm running into serious red tape, and until that's cleared, I can't finalize anything. We need to have a signed contract with them if we're going to use their name on the cover, in the press release, etc. Among other things, they want to read the book in print before offering us an agreement.

I know that now that I've said that, a lot of people are going to be busting at the seams to offer advice and alternative suggestions, but just trust that I'm working on this from all angles right now. I talked to the Red Cross twice today, and e-mailed four other top-rated charities to ask about their procedures as back-up in case this process keeps dragging on.

Lulu will do their best to help us speed up the procedure of getting listed in the databases for bookstores and online stores as soon as we're ready.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
What's delaying the process right now is the Red Cross. I'm running into serious red tape, and until that's cleared, I can't finalize anything. We need to have a signed contract with them if we're going to use their name on the cover, in the press release, etc. Among other things, they want to read the book in print before offering us an agreement.

They want to read the book "in print?" How does THAT work?

I understand their need to make certain everything is above board on the book, but I can't help but express my frustration at the Red Tape, er, Red Cross. One would think they might try to expedite things a little, seeing as they are the beneficiaries of this project.

[Deep breath] I'm done. Now back to our regularly scheduled quips and all-around wittiness. :)

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
The problem with the red tape is that it's going to happen with all the bigger charities and especially those with federal charters... they have to be able to account for those monies since we won't be. If their name goes on it, then they have to be able to endorse it. A whiff of anything wrong in their books can get their carter yanked quicker than you can blink... funny considering we're talking about the government who usually does nothing quick.

There has to be a way. I wonder if they would accept a pdf of the manuscript instead of the printed book... but Jenna has probably already thought of that... don't mind me, folks... I'm just thinking by keyboard.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
I think all the Red Tape symbolizes the mission. As writers in the workplace, many of you know what it's all about. Guys, it's the struggle that keeps us keeping on, because we remain focused. And you know what? SOS is going to be worth every drop of blood, sweat and tear that poured into it.

Obviously we're on to something BIG. Otherwise the Red Cross wouldn't be putting so much effort into crossing all the T's and dotting the I's. Thanks Jenna so much for keeping us posted.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
JennaGlatzer said:

I know that now that I've said that, a lot of people are going to be busting at the seams to offer advice and alternative suggestions, but just trust that I'm working on this from all angles right now. I talked to the Red Cross twice today, and e-mailed four other top-rated charities to ask about their procedures as back-up in case this process keeps dragging on.

Lulu will do their best to help us speed up the procedure of getting listed in the databases for bookstores and online stores as soon as we're ready.

Sent an incomplete rep point - sorry! I did read the above, promise. And I'm so helpless sometimes in resisting my impulses to offer info so feel free to ignore: Unicef? Also, although it can be a bear, you could always set up your own 501(c)(3) that would be the repository for the money and then donate it. For example, the AbsoluteWrite.com Foundation (like other companies have their foundation/charity giving entities).

Ok - I've done it - I made suggestions when specifically told not to. Wet noodles - where are the wet noodles?

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
What wonderful and encouraging news from Lulu--I had no idea how supportive they'd be.

As for the rest--we'll be experts in our subject matter before it's all over. If it's true that challenges make us stronger, well probably be able to lift our collective weight in chocolate by the time we hold a copy of SOS in our hands, flip through to our page and say, "I had a part in that!" And it will be worth it.

Thanks, Jenna, for putting your heart, and large chunks of your time and patience, in this project.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thank you so much!

Yeah-- I expressed the same thing to the Red Cross person I spoke to yesterday-- how are we supposed to send her the book in print? It doesn't make logical sense. If it's printed, it needs to be final (that is, with the RC on the cover... or not). I was in a bit of a stupor when she was explaining all this to me yesterday and hadn't thought of how to get around it, but right afterwards, I realized, "Wait. I could send her the PDF or Word file, or I could print it on my computer and mail it to her." So I asked her that by e-mail. She sent a read receipt but hasn't answered yet.

I half-understood why this is all necessary. Basically, they need to check to make sure there's no bad language, no very controversial stuff, and that the quality doesn't stink. Then they'd want to negotiate a contract with us that tells exactly what wording we're allowed to use, such as giving an exact dollar figure on the cover that shows how much is donated per book-- which is again impossible because it differs based on where the book is bought.

I contacted Habitat for Humanity, AmeriCares, Salvation Army, and Operation USA, all listed as 4-star charities with Charity Navigator, and all specifically working on hurricane relief. None have responded yet.

I already know that Feed the Children would give us zero red tape and wants our donations badly-- I'm writing a book with a friend of the founder, and she told me how much they're doing for disaster relief and how much more they want to do, but people don't think of them to donate for this kind of work-- but it's a Christian charity and I know that might not fly well with all our contributors. (Salvation Army is also a Christian charity, but it's well-established that they're on the front-lines of disaster relief, so I'm not sure if that overrides the religious part in people's minds.) So that remains a possibility, but I suspect that a few contributors would want to pull their pieces from the anthology if we switch charities. That's not disastrous, just time-consuming to have to write back and forth with all 118 writers to get permission, then re-organize the book based on what gets pulled.

I'm trying hard to walk the line between patience and decisiveness... I'm getting a fast education in the world of nonprofits and why they need all this red tape (the woman on the phone with me yesterday did explain that they're constantly monitored by "big brother"-type groups who scrutinize every project like this that they approve). They let me know up-front that it's not that they distrust me in the least about actually sending them the money... they know we're totally on the up-and-up... but they need to make sure that no one can ever complain about any of the language in the book or marketing materials.

I'll let you know as I make progress. I'll check into Unicef, too. (I don't think they were listed as a charity working on hurricane relief, though.)

Sorry about the delay. I just had no idea that I needed permission in the first place. I figured that as long as we're telling the truth, how could it be a problem?

One way or another, though, we'll get there. And wait till you see... the book just keeps getting better and better. :)

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
I trust you... and I know you will do what is right... No matter where you go... you have my permission to use my story... "Merlin"....
I know first hand the pains of working behind the scenes with a charity....

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
So you won't have to write back and forth between authors why not have them email you their preferences?

Have us put a certain word or phrase in the subject line and create a folder just for those emails. If you have Outlook or Outlook Express I, or several of us, can tell you how to set up a message rule that will sort the emails automatically as they come in if you don't already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.