PDA

View Full Version : Who's snowed in?

Gretad08
02-01-2011, 08:12 AM
I know we have some St. Louisans here, but we're not the only ones getting nasty weather. Winter is hammering us this week. 12-24 inches of snow on top of 1 inch of ice. Multiple forecasts say we'll be unable to leave our homes for a day or two, and many will lose power.

So, what y'all gonna do when you're trapped at home?

veinglory
02-01-2011, 08:26 AM
I am hoping to pop out tomorrow morning for some basic supplies and expect to be home from work from tuesday a.m. until whenever. They are saying 18 inches for Chicago.

Gretad08
02-01-2011, 08:33 AM
We did that on Sunday. We're set to be stuck in the house for awhile, although losing power will be pretty tricky if that happens. I'm excited to see how pretty the snow will be once it gets here.

Cranky
02-01-2011, 08:39 AM
We're not going to be snowed in, but school here is cancelled tomorrow, due to very low temperatures. Yee haw. Went to the store tonight for supplies, and the roads were scary-slick. Everyone inching along like turtles on an ice rink.

veinglory
02-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I am wearing my fleece lined boots to work tomorrow no matter what the office dress code says.

rugcat
02-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Forecast for tomorrow in SF:

620 and sunny.

Shadow_Ferret
02-01-2011, 08:55 AM
I just find it interesting, we're north of St. Louis and Chicago and we've had a really mild winter so far with hardly any snow. Tomorrow might actually be the first time I use the snowblower.

But snowed in? I've yet to see that kind of snow here. Probably haven't had that kind of winter storm since 1947.

Forecast for tomorrow in SF:

620 and sunny.

Wow. That's wimpy.

tiny
02-01-2011, 09:11 AM
My roses are blooming so it best not snow here.

Shadow_Ferret
02-01-2011, 09:13 AM
The news said this is a 2000 mile storm, covering 32 states. Cover your roses.

kayleamay
02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Am I the only person in America that 1.) wants snow and 2.) hasn't seen a damn flake this year?

I knew this would happen. I put new snow tires on my car. A guarantee of a dry winter. Next year I'll decide to wait. Then I will get caught in the middle of an unpredicted blizzard.

I love snow. I love how it makes everything seem quieter. I love how it slows everything down. I just...love...it. Snow on evergreens. There is nothing more perfect.

DeleyanLee
02-01-2011, 03:56 PM
I'll take the snow. I don't mind the snow. I know how to deal with snow, but I'm a Yank who grew up with it. We're getting ice/freezing rain at the moment. I've already fallen once this year (bruised my tailbone--don't do that. It hurts like blazes for weeks so far) and aren't thrilled about a repeat injury.

This year, I'm just really sick of winter period. I don't think we've had four days of sunshine since November and SADS is getting to everyone. Even me, and I generally don't suffer from such things.

Gretad08
02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I just watched the news. We're on blizzard watch. I've never even heard of that! The next few days are gonna be interesting. My husband is leaving to plow right now and I don't expect to see him until tomorrow.

Oh, Shadow Ferret. I guess I meant we're actually in the process of being 'iced' in right now but the snow's a comin'.

Marlys
02-01-2011, 04:33 PM
First wave of the Midwest ice storm has my city encased in ice, and all schools closed. The main part of the storm is due later today, with more ice and high winds expected. Hoping we don't lose power...

regdog
02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
We have 60 inches so far and another 20 coming today and tomorrow. Oh, and it's a balmy 12 F here

Gretad08
02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
We have 60 inches so far and another 20 coming today and tomorrow. Oh, and it's a balmy 12 F here

60 inches?! I didn't realize anyone here lived at the North Pole :)

Cranky
02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
It's 3 degrees right now (feels like about 20 below zero), and we're expected to get only about 3 inches of snow. I am so sick of winter right now, ugh. And this isn't even that bad!

Perks
02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm telling you, I'm on my way to strangle Punxsutawny Phil right now. Little bastard won't being seeing anything but St. Peter tomorrow as he tries to make the case for his flea-ridden life at the Pearly Gates.

LaceWing
02-01-2011, 06:15 PM
My sympathies, gang, from way down south. I still remember a week of running the snow plow all day every day -- not just to keep my driveway clear, but because the whole neighborhood was deluged with lake-effect snow in New York. The plows couldn't keep up and we stay-at-home types had to pitch in for the long haul.

Hunker down and enjoy what you can.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm telling you, I'm on my way to strangle Punxsutawny Phil right now. Little bastard won't being seeing anything but St. Peter tomorrow as he tries to make the case for his flea-ridden life at the Pearly Gates.

Just to be SURE, shoot him with a scatter gun for me, willya, Perks? He's messed up my life for YEARS.

We're snowed in here in Okiehomie and the weatherpersons are all having winter weathergasms. It's their second-favorite time of the year and will hold them over 'til the best parts of the tornado season. Can't tell how much snow we've actually gotten because the wind's blowing a gale out of the north (gusts around 50mph) and it's 8F as of this moment. Gods only know what the wind chill is. We're supposed to get more snow before noon, when this crap is supposed to head on up I-44 and hit parts farther north and east - don't thank me, St. Louis and Chicago. No really. It's no trouble at all.

Mindy, the Wonder Dog, won't go out any farther than the edge of the deck and won't stay out long enough to do anything significant. I'm sure she'll conduct her business in the house sometime later this morning and leave it for a surprise. :( Can't much blame her, though. Poopin' in a 2' snow drift doesn't hold much appeal for me, either.

ETA: -15 wind chill.

brainstorm77
02-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm not in the USA but we're getting it tomorrow.

Cranky
02-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Just to be SURE, shoot him with a scatter gun for me, willya, Perks? He's messed up my life for YEARS.

We're snowed in here in Okiehomie and the weatherpersons are all having winter weathergasms. It's their second-favorite time of the year and will hold them over 'til the best parts of the tornado season. Can't tell how much snow we've actually gotten because the wind's blowing a gale out of the north (gusts around 50mph) and it's 8F as of this moment. Gods only know what the wind chill is. We're supposed to get more snow before noon, when this crap is supposed to head on up I-44 and hit parts farther north and east - don't thank me, St. Louis and Chicago. No really. It's no trouble at all.

Mindy, the Wonder Dog, won't go out any farther than the edge of the deck and won't stay out long enough to do anything significant. I'm sure she'll conduct her business in the house sometime later this morning and leave it for a surprise. :( Can't much blame her, though. Poopin' in a 2' snow drift doesn't hold much appeal for me, either.

We're having gusts up to about 30mph here, too. I'm so glad I don't have a dog to take outside -- poor thing would be liable to freeze to death, doing it's business! The main road just a block away is a windtunnel most of the time anyway -- add in this nasty, and it's just complete misery if you're out in it. My DH had to go to work today, bless him. Needless to say, he brought his lunch -- no going out in this crap for a bite at the deli!

And still, it doesn't sound as bad as most places here in the Midwest. Looks like it's south of us -- we're just getting hit with the fringes of this thing.

Bubastes
02-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Snow's supposed to hit our area tonight. 15 inches and 40 mph winds.

I have 2 kinds of soup, chili, cookies, coffee, stacks of books, my Alphasmart Neo, and 2 warm cats, so I'm ready to hunker down. Bring it.

Wicked
02-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I want some snow, but it's too damn cold here to snow. Woke up to frozen pipes, vehicles won't start, and school canceled due to extreme low temps.

-18* right now. Wind chill values for today are supposed to be between -35* to -50*

Send us some snow so it warms up!

Chris P
02-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Daffodils are up in Mississippi. *smugs*

dolores haze
02-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Getting hammered in Upstate New York. As usual. The storm hasn't even hit yet. This is just lake effect snow. My insane employers expected me to report for work today. I gave it a try, but turned around when I realized that the only way I was gonna get through was with a snowplough attached to the front of my car. My job ain't worth my life.

Safe and cozy at home now. Getting a fire going, planning on doing some editing and writing, watch movies with the kids. Lots and lots of shoveling already done and much more to do. Only another foot and a half expected.

Snowstorm
02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Not me. Dang it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Daffodils are up in Mississippi. *smugs*

Yeah? It was 76F here last Friday. I've got frozen hyacinths and daffodils in the front flower bed.

LaceWing
02-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Poopin' in a 2' snow drift doesn't hold much appeal for me, either.

She-it but that's funny. I LOL'd like I was squeezing butt cheeks together against the cold, only to realize that wasn't enough reason.

Chris P
02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah? It was 76F here last Friday. I've got frozen hyacinths and daffodils in the front flower bed.

That's happened to me before too, actually. It's going to dip below freezing tonight, but the rain should be through here by then.

JMC2009
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm not supposed to get quite as much as St. Louis (a county out of the worst part of it) but NTL my employer announced that offices woudl be closed today yesterday, and there was a suggestion that they'll be closed tomorrow too.

In the mean time I'm goign to get caught up on my word count goals and clean.

muravyets
02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Metro Boston is getting crapped on right now. I had the joy of first sliding down one of the steepest hills in town to the bus stop, then slogging like a polar explorer into the head-on wind for several blocks from the bus to my pseudo-job (which pseudo-pays pseudo-money). Next I get to do the same in reverse. Tomorrow, I'll probably work from home (at least that's not a pseudo-place, and I'll get real writing done ;) ).

tiny
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
We have fog. Just fog. But I do kind of miss snow after all those years living in Colorado.

DragonHeart
02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Driving home from school an hour ago was not fun. This is just the first storm, too. Tomorrow's supposed to be way worse. Awesome. At least school is canceled, but the dumbass district manager at work will never allow us to even close early in stuff like this. So I will probably be going to work both today and tomorrow. Meh. I'm usually the one employee who doesn't get to stay home.

Gretad08
02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Sure is pretty 'round here. Treacherous, but pretty.

Tepelus
02-02-2011, 12:59 AM
First round went through last night, got about 4-5 inches of snow, and with the wind, it's drifting. Round two should hit us in about another couple of hours, first with the freezing rain or sleet crap, then more snow on top of that. I'm tired of winter now. I like it for about a month, then come February it just gets old. And February is usually our snowiest month here in Northern Ohio. Thankfully I'm off work tomorrow. My biggest fear with this storm is the possibility of losing power. I have a fish tank and a lizard. No power = no heat and the fish and lizard could die. Also, no filtration for the fishies. And it's so cold, it wouldn't take long for the house to get cold.

veinglory
02-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Not me. Dang it.

Irony, you haz it ;)

I'm home now. Have food, dog and internet. No need to go anywhere. The snow is coming down pretty heavy.

KellyAssauer
02-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Getting hammered in Upstate New York. As usual.

-but how's the weather? :D

alleycat
02-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Just rain here so far, with temperatures in the 50s, but it's suppose to get stormier this evening, with the possibility of a little snow tomorrow morning.

stormie
02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
I can't be stormier. I'm already stormy enough. Just ask my sons. :D

For those not used to blizzards or snow over eight inches--if your furnace pipe outside is low to the ground, make sure it gets cleared of snow as soon as possible. It's the cause of two things--either your furnace will shut off (a safety measure. You just have to shovel around the pipe), or it won't shut off and you'll get a backup of gases in the house.

jennontheisland
02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
I think other than the snow and cold, the worst part about living somewhere with lots of snow and cold is that I never get snow days.

Last week, it was -25C, 50km/h winds, 7 inches of snow, and we still shoveled our way to our cars to get to school and work.

alleycat
02-02-2011, 01:27 AM
I think other than the snow and cold, the worst part about living somewhere with lots of snow and cold is that I never get snow days.

Last week, it was -25C, 50km/h winds, 7 inches of snow, and we still shoveled our way to our cars to get to school and work.
They sometimes cancel schools around here with just a prediction of snow. There are reasons why they can do that here, but it can still seems odd.

LaurieD
02-02-2011, 01:28 AM
70 (F) degrees here Saturday, sunny and gorgeous.

10 degrees with -10 wind chill today. 20 inches in the nearest town reporting snowfall totals. We have drifts in the yard around 4 feet (my 6' 3" hubs had snow up to his lower back when he went out to the garage for the portable heater around noon after the power went out.)

The only thing seen to have gone past my house all day is a backhoe.

Guardian
02-02-2011, 01:31 AM
We're getting snow here in Maine - it started at about noon. It was halfway to a whiteout a couple hours ago, but now the snowfall is pretty sparse and gentle. No idea what will change until it changes. I don't watch the weather. I live on the wild side.

dolores haze
02-02-2011, 01:32 AM

Do you live in a city?

I've found that's expected in cities. I have a 25 mile country commute, over hills and through valleys on twisty country roads. They get plowed, but if it's snowing hard there is no way the county guys can keep up with it. And if I have an accident - it could be a loooong time before the snowplough guy comes to rescue me. (Has happened twice)

Wicked
02-02-2011, 01:55 AM
My biggest fear with this storm is the possibility of losing power. I have a fish tank and a lizard. No power = no heat and the fish and lizard could die. Also, no filtration for the fishies. And it's so cold, it wouldn't take long for the house to get cold.

Wrapping a couple of thick blankets tight around the fish tank should keep them safe, unless it gets sub-zero in the house.

Because of my spiders, I keep an insulated box, and heat packs on hand in case of emergencies. The little heat packs are made for putting in your pockets to keep your hands warm. I think they would work in a pinch for a lizard. :)

writerterri
02-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Snot I.

No snow in So. Cal. Just fog in the morning and warm sun in the after noon. We'll probably hit the pool today.

*splash*

alleycat
02-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Snot I.

No snow in So. Cal. Just fog in the morning and warm sun in the after noon. We'll probably hit the pool today.

*splash*
Lucky you.

Just watch out for earthquakes, forest fires, mud slides, electrical blackouts, and massive tax increases.

;-)

jennontheisland
02-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Do you live in a city?
I live in Canada. That's enough.

stormie
02-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Snot I.

*splash*

http://bestsmileys.com/weather/4.gif

LilliCray
02-02-2011, 04:54 AM
Supposed to blizzard today, they said. Whole Midwest, they said. Worst storm in 58 years, they said.

What do we get? Four inches. Four inches, and ice. Well, probably a lot of ice (there was a lot of drizzly rain nastiness yesterday, which most likely all froze now).

It's not fair. I want SNOW, not ice! I mean, we did get snow, but... we've had two snows in the past month that were about as bad as the one we got today. (But at least school was cancelled--it was actually called in anticipation, last night, before anything started falling...)

I. Want. Snow. Grrrr.

Wait, another storm's supposed to sweep through tomorrow? *crosses fingers for snow--and no accidents*

Today was the school district's last snow day before they gotta start adding school days. As far as I'm concerned--it's totally worth it. :D

ETA: I'm not sure why I'm surprised at our relative lack of snow. We miss all the weather. I live right by Kansas City KS, which seems to attract all the heavy weather, while we get wimpy snows... although it's nice not really worrying about tornado season.

Eudoxia
02-02-2011, 05:23 AM
I am literally praying for snow. All we're getting here is cold winds and clouds. Only once has it rained in the past few weeks! If I had the money, I'd definitely go out somewhere to see four or even seven inches of snow.

Gretad08
02-02-2011, 06:17 AM
No kidding! This morning were on blizzard watch. As of tonight, we have about an inch of ice topped with about 4-5 inches of snow. Big deal. We got more snow last week and nobody made a big deal about it. We'll see what happens overnight, but the lastest of the ever changing forecasts has said it's about over. What a disappointment.

I will say though, I'm glad for some of the less fortunate in our area. We were supposed to end up with power outages and sub zero temps. That could easily have ended up killing some of our elderly or poor folks. So this is probably better.

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2011, 06:47 AM
We're having a "blizzard." Which means a lot of wind, but not a helluva lot of new snow.

I will be shoveling out some big drifts though.

Cranky
02-02-2011, 07:14 AM
No kidding! This morning were on blizzard watch. As of tonight, we have about an inch of ice topped with about 4-5 inches of snow. Big deal. We got more snow last week and nobody made a big deal about it. We'll see what happens overnight, but the lastest of the ever changing forecasts has said it's about over. What a disappointment.

I will say though, I'm glad for some of the less fortunate in our area. We were supposed to end up with power outages and sub zero temps. That could easily have ended up killing some of our elderly or poor folks. So this is probably better.

Amen to that, Greta. Though there's still no school here tomorrow. Hopefully, things will be back to normal by the end of the week.

TerzaRima
02-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Dear dogs,

Both of you just finished awkwardly plunging through the drifts in the backyard to find a suitable place for your ablutions. When that was done you both staggered around in the wind like Half Pint trying to find the schoolhouse when there was a storm on the prairie.

now that you are both inside you are casting hopeful looks at the front door where the leashes hang. Please forget about walkies. I have good reason to believe it's blizzarding in the front yard too.

This is why I control the food supply and not you. xoxo

mario_c
02-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Well, I was happy w the snow last weekend when I went cross-country skiing. :) The powder was so thick and it wasn't really that cold. (The amazing cardio helped.)
But tomorrow is my interview for an internship which has already been bumped a week. I doubt they are willing to bump it another week for me (it's in the city so tomorrow is the only time I can go), so if it blizzards or ice storms it's going to worse than suck. Hint: I actually do live where The Ice Storm was set, albeit in the present, at least physically.

CtS
02-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Feel free to take some of our snow! We already have around 8-10 inches and 3 foot drafts, still expecting another 14inches over the next 18 hours or so. Oh, and then it's suppose to drop to some rediculously cold temperature. So yes, I am snowed in!

Xelebes
02-02-2011, 08:37 AM
It's a huge storm. Most of Canada's major urban centres have already been badly hit by this storm. Edmonton only got a skiff from the storm. We're six hours from the border!

mario_c
02-02-2011, 09:34 AM
We will take it! I see a lot of pickup trucks with the beds carrying full snowdrifts, so I always wonder if they're carrying them off to dump at a nature trail for winter XC-skiiers :) Well, a guy can always hope.

ETA it's after 12:30AM, no snow coming down yet. A little sleet earlier, just enough to be annoying. I need to rest...

Snowstorm
02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
No snow, but the thermometer is reading -40 F [-40 C]. I have o doubt it's lower than that because the thermometer only goes down to -40. Yeesh.

Devil Ledbetter
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
We're snowed in. No one from where I work could get down their driveways so the company is closed today. We only got 6 or 8 inches, but 35 mph winds are causing huge drifts (before the storm hit there was a good 10" of existing snow to blow around). Several cars are stranded on nearby highways and wreckers aren't available. Wind chill is 1F. It's still snowing.

I'm staying inside and working on my book.

CaroGirl
02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Same as always here. I have email and VPN so I'm working from home. The kids walk to school, and it's open, so they're off in a few minutes.

But I'm looking forward to downhill skiing this weekend!!

LadyVonFright
02-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Us Torontonians NEVER get snowed in :( or maybe its just everyone else except me that gets to stay home in weather like this...either way...im not snowed in...and with my luck I will be stuck at work for the night...argh!!! I hate winter...

Ambrosia
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
And I am snowed out. I fled the ice storm to be able to call the IRS, which had to be done on the 31st. And I have fled from the face of the storm ever since. Yesterday morning the severe thunderstorms knocked out the power in my hotel, leaving me in the dark in the bathroom, hoping I didn't kill myself getting out of it. When the lights finally came back on so I could pack, I threw my stuff into the car, took my poor drenched dog, and headed south in the high winds and rain, just missing the encroaching ice. I kept going south, finally winding up in Corpus Christi, TX. You would think I would have missed the storm here, but the high winds continue to batter the area and the temp dropped down into the twenties. The wind chill is 13. For those battling sub-zero wind chills and piles of snow and ice, it might not seem like a bad thing. But this is Corpus Christi. I have checked the weather all the way down to South Padre Island. Same thing. There appears to be no fleeing the effects of this storm. Not to mention, with the roads closed due to the blizzard and the 18 inches of snow and additional ice that has fallen on the country roads in the deep woods of Missouri, where the trailer is at, I can't get back.

shakeysix
02-02-2011, 05:56 PM
we missed out on the big snow but the wind was savage and blew what snow we had into drifts. my school was closed yesterday and we are on two hour delay this a.m. the pipes in the grade school froze up. the boiler bit the dust. the high school and grade school are all in one building so i'm not sure if my classroom will be usable. my car won't start. the -4 temp (without factoring in the wind chill) killed my battery. there is not a car battery in town. my car is at the only garage in town and i am riding with a colleague this a.m.

all that said--it is a helluva beautiful sunrise with the sun on the snow and turning my iced up windows a beautiful glowing gold--s6

shakeysix
02-02-2011, 06:00 PM
p.s.--oh, and i lost my mittens when they towed my car yesterday. so i guess i get no pie!--s6

regdog
02-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Not only are we getting more snow, we're getting sleet too. Meh

stormie
02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Heavy fog and sleet here. (east central NJ)

Devil Ledbetter
02-02-2011, 07:31 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs080.snc6/169028_1696097734545_1600915547_31493567_1453359_n .jpg

Snowdrift on my garage roof, and nearly covering my 4' fence.

Devil Ledbetter
02-02-2011, 09:08 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs060.snc6/169043_1701885801325_1663363889_1573615_2565911_n. jpg

The rear of the building where I work. This, and the fact that no one can get out of their driveway, explains why work was closed today. The photo was taken by a coworker who was in the area helping stranded travelers. The guy is a saint.

dolores haze
02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Watching the icicles grow outside my kitchen window. And I mean watching them. The biggest one has grown about a foot in the last hour alone.

Chewbacca
02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/KShai/snow8.jpg

7am this morning, northwestern suburb of Chicago. Buried under 25" of snow.

shakeysix
02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
i called my daughter last night and the sound of my g-daughter's rollerskates as she zoomed around the living room brought back memories. you know it is a long winter when you finally let the kids roller skate in the house. are the dooleys on wheels yet, lo?---s6

stormie
02-02-2011, 10:18 PM
i called my daughter last night and the sound of my g-daughter's rollerskates as she zoomed around the living room brought back memories. you know it is a long winter when you finally let the kids roller skate in the house. are the dooleys on wheels yet, lo?---s6
It's called desperation. Know it well.

dolores haze
02-02-2011, 10:30 PM

I'm the only one allowed to roller skate in the house, shakes. The boys? I chuck them outside with snowboards and sleds. I don't let them back in until they're ten seconds from frostbite. Gotta get the writing done somehow!

writerterri
02-02-2011, 11:53 PM
my kids are still asking me to take them to the pool.

I never get a break from So. Cal weather.

:evil

DragonHeart
02-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Well, we're not snowed in per se, but there's about four feet of snow on the ground right now. Driving is a lot of fun when the snowbanks on street corners are taller than your vehicle.

Xelebes
02-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Plus 4C and sunny here. :)

Just balmy.

lucidzfl
02-03-2011, 03:10 AM
my kids are still asking me to take them to the pool.

I never get a break from So. Cal weather.

:evil

Its nice and fall/springish up here in NorCal. :D

Mystery1
02-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Ten inches of snow over a thin layer of ice in my little corner of Missouri. Drifts higher. Partly sunny and very cold today.

writerterri
02-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Its nice and fall/springish up here in NorCal. :D

We're going through spring here as well. *sneezes*

Gretad08
02-03-2011, 04:12 AM
It's called desperation. Know it well.

Yep, me too. Our kids are 1 and 2. I remember pre-kids, my husband would say things like "I'll never let my kids (insert activity here) in the house like so and so does. They'll just destroy it." Then once the kids came we quickly realized, as long as it doesn't involve fire, chemicals, or any sort of pain, if they're quiet and happy we're quiet and happy.

mario_c
02-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Lots of ice but no snow. It rained this morning but basically today it was just cold and wet, and I HATE cold+wet. And I had to take the train to NYC which was delayed over 1/2 hour due to ice, as were the parts of the subway exposed to the elements. I'm currently out of driveway salt, so I'll just jaunt down to Home Depot to get some more after work tomorrow. :ROFL: Actually, I'll be hacking at my walk with a pick shovel tomorrow night.

Guardian
02-03-2011, 03:19 PM
The snow was up to my knees yesterday. Looks like the plows cleared it pretty well now but we have huge snowbanks now. :D

stormie
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Yep, me too. Our kids are 1 and 2. I remember pre-kids, my husband would say things like "I'll never let my kids (insert activity here) in the house like so and so does. They'll just destroy it." Then once the kids came we quickly realized, as long as it doesn't involve fire, chemicals, or any sort of pain, if they're quiet and happy we're quiet and happy.
My sons' favorite indoor activity--wall ball. We had a wall in the kitchen that was free of any counters or tables. They'd throw a rubber ball against it. We let them. Of course, two things happened--(1) as they got older, the ball was thrown higher and harder and would bounce back into pots and bowls across the room, and (2) they got the great idea when I was in another part of the house, to throw a tennis ball against the wall. They were sure happy!

shakeysix
02-03-2011, 06:10 PM
and then they get into high school and start throwing each other against the wall!--s6

stormie
02-04-2011, 01:05 AM
and then they get into high school and start throwing each other against the wall!--s6
:ROFL: I just had head marks about 5 1/2 ft.up the wall. My neighbor found the entire outline of her son in one of her walls.

So, people snowed in, any head or body marks yet in your sheetrock?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-09-2011, 08:23 PM
:sigh: It's baaaaaack. View out my kitchen window to the south:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/Outmywindow1.jpg

View out my back window - the birds are so cold, they won't go to the feeders:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/Snugglers.jpg

shakeysix
02-09-2011, 08:29 PM
hey, ofg! i think i just found my whisk in your back window. i needed it for mac and cheese last night but couldn't find it anywhere. last time i saw it, sundown the kitten was batting it around my floor. cabin fever and cats! --s6

StoryG27
02-09-2011, 08:32 PM
It has snowed again here, actually looks similar to OFG's pics here too. The kids are having yet another snow day, and we are stuck at home.

No. Really.

My car won't start. No problem. I have my husband's truck. Of course, my car that won't start has the truck blocked in the driveway. So in a round about way, I am snowed in. Still not sure what I'm going to do. I guess I can't really just ignore it until Hubby comes home on R and R, though that would be nice.

aliajohnson
02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
The snow here is epic--by Arkansas standards, anyway. Last I checked, the total was 16+ inches and the flakes are still coming.

It's cold and inconvenient, but my old boxer mix is having a ball leaping around it in like a puppy, so I'm happy.

ETA: Now the total is being reported as 21 inches. Yikes.

shakeysix
02-10-2011, 02:54 AM
another snow day here, too. our district didn't call school until midmorning yesterday. since the sophomores had an important test to take, our soop decided to have school because it wasn't snowing hard at seven a.m.

by eleven we had strong winds and blowing snow. they loaded the little kids on buses and released the high school kids who drove. my sixteen mile drive home was dicey. i made it through two scary whiteouts but i was all over the highway. the high school kids don't drive sensibly in nice weather. i was sweating running into one of zooming down the highway on bald tires while texting and head banging--s6

alleycat
02-10-2011, 02:56 AM
It's started snowing mid-afternoon here, which is probably the worst possible time. Lots of traffic slow-downs with the snow and it getting close to sunset.

brainstorm77
02-15-2011, 07:45 PM
I am. We are expected to get between 25-30 cm today.

alleycat
02-15-2011, 07:47 PM
No snow here. And warmer.

I was just out trimming branches off a large white pine. Without wearing a jacket.

stormie
02-15-2011, 08:22 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/winter/22.gif
The windows-high snow we had on Dec.26 is finally down to about an inch.