Who's snowed in?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I know we have some St. Louisans here, but we're not the only ones getting nasty weather. Winter is hammering us this week. 12-24 inches of snow on top of 1 inch of ice. Multiple forecasts say we'll be unable to leave our homes for a day or two, and many will lose power.

So, what y'all gonna do when you're trapped at home?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am hoping to pop out tomorrow morning for some basic supplies and expect to be home from work from tuesday a.m. until whenever. They are saying 18 inches for Chicago.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
We did that on Sunday. We're set to be stuck in the house for awhile, although losing power will be pretty tricky if that happens. I'm excited to see how pretty the snow will be once it gets here.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're not going to be snowed in, but school here is cancelled tomorrow, due to very low temperatures. Yee haw. Went to the store tonight for supplies, and the roads were scary-slick. Everyone inching along like turtles on an ice rink.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I just find it interesting, we're north of St. Louis and Chicago and we've had a really mild winter so far with hardly any snow. Tomorrow might actually be the first time I use the snowblower.

But snowed in? I've yet to see that kind of snow here. Probably haven't had that kind of winter storm since 1947.

Forecast for tomorrow in SF:

62[SUP]0[/SUP] and sunny.

Wow. That's wimpy.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only person in America that 1.) wants snow and 2.) hasn't seen a damn flake this year?

I knew this would happen. I put new snow tires on my car. A guarantee of a dry winter. Next year I'll decide to wait. Then I will get caught in the middle of an unpredicted blizzard.

I love snow. I love how it makes everything seem quieter. I love how it slows everything down. I just...love...it. Snow on evergreens. There is nothing more perfect.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take the snow. I don't mind the snow. I know how to deal with snow, but I'm a Yank who grew up with it. We're getting ice/freezing rain at the moment. I've already fallen once this year (bruised my tailbone--don't do that. It hurts like blazes for weeks so far) and aren't thrilled about a repeat injury.

This year, I'm just really sick of winter period. I don't think we've had four days of sunshine since November and SADS is getting to everyone. Even me, and I generally don't suffer from such things.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I just watched the news. We're on blizzard watch. I've never even heard of that! The next few days are gonna be interesting. My husband is leaving to plow right now and I don't expect to see him until tomorrow.

Oh, Shadow Ferret. I guess I meant we're actually in the process of being 'iced' in right now but the snow's a comin'.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
First wave of the Midwest ice storm has my city encased in ice, and all schools closed. The main part of the storm is due later today, with more ice and high winds expected. Hoping we don't lose power...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have 60 inches so far and another 20 coming today and tomorrow. Oh, and it's a balmy 12 F here

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's 3 degrees right now (feels like about 20 below zero), and we're expected to get only about 3 inches of snow. I am so sick of winter right now, ugh. And this isn't even that bad!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm telling you, I'm on my way to strangle Punxsutawny Phil right now. Little bastard won't being seeing anything but St. Peter tomorrow as he tries to make the case for his flea-ridden life at the Pearly Gates.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My sympathies, gang, from way down south. I still remember a week of running the snow plow all day every day -- not just to keep my driveway clear, but because the whole neighborhood was deluged with lake-effect snow in New York. The plows couldn't keep up and we stay-at-home types had to pitch in for the long haul.

Hunker down and enjoy what you can.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I'm telling you, I'm on my way to strangle Punxsutawny Phil right now. Little bastard won't being seeing anything but St. Peter tomorrow as he tries to make the case for his flea-ridden life at the Pearly Gates.

Just to be SURE, shoot him with a scatter gun for me, willya, Perks? He's messed up my life for YEARS.

We're snowed in here in Okiehomie and the weatherpersons are all having winter weathergasms. It's their second-favorite time of the year and will hold them over 'til the best parts of the tornado season. Can't tell how much snow we've actually gotten because the wind's blowing a gale out of the north (gusts around 50mph) and it's 8F as of this moment. Gods only know what the wind chill is. We're supposed to get more snow before noon, when this crap is supposed to head on up I-44 and hit parts farther north and east - don't thank me, St. Louis and Chicago. No really. It's no trouble at all.

Mindy, the Wonder Dog, won't go out any farther than the edge of the deck and won't stay out long enough to do anything significant. I'm sure she'll conduct her business in the house sometime later this morning and leave it for a surprise. :( Can't much blame her, though. Poopin' in a 2' snow drift doesn't hold much appeal for me, either.

ETA: -15 wind chill.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in the USA but we're getting it tomorrow.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to be SURE, shoot him with a scatter gun for me, willya, Perks? He's messed up my life for YEARS.

We're snowed in here in Okiehomie and the weatherpersons are all having winter weathergasms. It's their second-favorite time of the year and will hold them over 'til the best parts of the tornado season. Can't tell how much snow we've actually gotten because the wind's blowing a gale out of the north (gusts around 50mph) and it's 8F as of this moment. Gods only know what the wind chill is. We're supposed to get more snow before noon, when this crap is supposed to head on up I-44 and hit parts farther north and east - don't thank me, St. Louis and Chicago. No really. It's no trouble at all.

Mindy, the Wonder Dog, won't go out any farther than the edge of the deck and won't stay out long enough to do anything significant. I'm sure she'll conduct her business in the house sometime later this morning and leave it for a surprise. :( Can't much blame her, though. Poopin' in a 2' snow drift doesn't hold much appeal for me, either.

We're having gusts up to about 30mph here, too. I'm so glad I don't have a dog to take outside -- poor thing would be liable to freeze to death, doing it's business! The main road just a block away is a windtunnel most of the time anyway -- add in this nasty, and it's just complete misery if you're out in it. My DH had to go to work today, bless him. Needless to say, he brought his lunch -- no going out in this crap for a bite at the deli!

And still, it doesn't sound as bad as most places here in the Midwest. Looks like it's south of us -- we're just getting hit with the fringes of this thing.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Snow's supposed to hit our area tonight. 15 inches and 40 mph winds.

I have 2 kinds of soup, chili, cookies, coffee, stacks of books, my Alphasmart Neo, and 2 warm cats, so I'm ready to hunker down. Bring it.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I want some snow, but it's too damn cold here to snow. Woke up to frozen pipes, vehicles won't start, and school canceled due to extreme low temps.

-18* right now. Wind chill values for today are supposed to be between -35* to -50*

Send us some snow so it warms up!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Daffodils are up in Mississippi. *smugs*

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Getting hammered in Upstate New York. As usual. The storm hasn't even hit yet. This is just lake effect snow. My insane employers expected me to report for work today. I gave it a try, but turned around when I realized that the only way I was gonna get through was with a snowplough attached to the front of my car. My job ain't worth my life.

Safe and cozy at home now. Getting a fire going, planning on doing some editing and writing, watch movies with the kids. Lots and lots of shoveling already done and much more to do. Only another foot and a half expected.