Typesetting tutorial

DoctorMandaBenson

I iz Publishr!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tangentrine.com
I'm running a series of articles about typesetting on my blog. I thought it might be of interest to people here, since questions about how to lay out books and how to use InDesign seem to crop up quite often. The first article is here. Please have a look and feel free to write comments/ suggestions on it.

Moonbase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaufen-ist-toll.de
Thanks for sharing, this is probably a Good Thing. The first »recipe« at least is written well, short and concise. As a self-publishing author, you might want to remember the methods behind, because you can apply them to similar software.

Not all of us have the extra money for InDesign, though its well worth its money if used in professional work. For the rest of us, there are other great possibilities, like Scribus (a Free and Open Source DTP Software for Linux, Mac and Windows). I recommend getting version 1.3.9—it’s not as »beta« as one might assume and a lot better than 1.3.3.14 already. If all else fails, you can even make an »okay looking« book using OpenOffice or LibreOffice (both also FOSS and available for Linux, Mac, Windows). Still the same working methodology applies.

Good luck everyone. And learn something about typography—it’s fun!

Last edited:

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
Yes, that's a nice thing. I already figured out how to do this sort of thing on my own, but it'll be good to read a tutorial to fill in the gaps I've missed.

And thanks for that tip about Scribus, Moonbase.