I need a new drug...? about drug in late 1800s

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has an answer for this.

Were there any drugs in the last quarter of the 1800's that would have the same effect as some of the 'twilight' sedation drugs today. It could be something that would have to be administered by a doctor.

1. I need this character awake and aware, but not able to physically stop someone from doing what they are about to do.

2. Would they still feel pain with this particular drug?

3. I also need the character's memory of what happened to be clouded directly after the event then slowly come back in small doses. Would that be a possible side effect using that drug?

Thanks for any & all help!

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that either chloral hydrate or ether would make your character unconscious. I don't know about laughing gas, but laudanum might work, or just plain opium.

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! That gives me something to search for.

Will look into all of those to see which would work best for the 'evil' scene that awaits. :evil

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Opium or Heroin (which was new in the 1870's) could make a person "out of it" enough to not be able to stop something from happening to them.)

Curare could work. It's a muscle relaxant used as anesthesia.

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
From the research I've found so far, the chloral hydrate seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I may mix it with the absinthe, based on a newspaper article I just found that is sooooo similar to the scene I have in mind, it's freaky.

I will take a look at curare too.

thanks!

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Curare will induce paralysis but not anesthesia, if that is what you are after. That is, after a sufficient dose, the person would be wide awake but not able to move.

However, the dose is tough to calculate, as the diaphragm is one of those muscles which gets paralyzed. To be awake and aware but not able to move--and yet survive the process--pretty much requires mechanical ventilation. The person couldn't breathe on his or her own at that point.

tubocurarine (Wikipedia)

Also of note, it has to be injected to have the effect.