Halfway There

britlitfantw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vlawinning.ca
YA Fantasy Novel WIP

Well, it's been quite a while since I last posted here, and my WIP has since been stuffed into a drawer, and I've gone back to the novel I started when I was 10. It's since evolved into something I never could've imagined, and I'm extremely excited about it, even more than I was about the previous one. My goal is to finish the rough draft by the end of November, and then work ferociously on editing it. =) Anyway, I'm currently at 27,256 words out of 50,000 (most likely, though it may very well end up being more). It's a YA fantasy, working title of 'Choice'.

Last edited:

britlitfantw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vlawinning.ca
It’s been a while since I posted, so I thought I’d give a quick update. After a deep look into the plotline and what I wanted to say, I decided that the story could be better told in approximately 60,000 words. So that is my new goal. :) Better news is, though I hit a slump and school’s been a bit crazy, I turned on some music today and wrote a particularly tense scene that has been building for a while.

32,029/60,000 words.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! :)

britlitfantw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vlawinning.ca
Been a while since I updated; well, I'm now at 56,071 words, and I have one scene left to write before the climax, then the climactic scene, and then the denoument.

Wow. o_O Seems freaky. I wrote my first battle scene the other day, though, and I think it might've turned out half-decent, or at least I hope so, since I have another one coming up.

See ya later, guys!

britlitfantw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vlawinning.ca
Well, I posted this in another thread as well, but I figured I should update in my own. The first draft of Choice has been completed, and it sat at approximately 66,000 words, 6,000 more than I had originally hoped for; 249 doublespaced pages. :snoopy: I'm extremely happy with how the story has been told thus far as well.

So, thanks to many outings to Starbucks with mom, a book that has never, since it was started five years ago, had more than around five chapters, has told an entire story.

Of course, there's still much to do, but I'm still sort of in shock that something I've been working on for that long -- off and on, mostly off -- is actually in some form of completion.

RE: Editing, 33/250 pages edited so far.

Last edited:

mrongey

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's great! I'm 16 right now, I probably started my first book when I was 10 also, but it was a Star Wars book that didn't get past 15 pages. I've started about five books but none of them got past 20 pages. However, right now I have a fantasy epic mulling around in my head that looks promising.

britlitfantw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vlawinning.ca
Thank you! You would not believe the evolution this book and storyline has gone through over the past five years, but the key concept of it -- elemental magic -- has never faltered. The main character has simply changed a few times, Earth got added into the mix, it switched from first to third person, and several people died at the end who I never intended to die in the first place. ;) If you ever want to bounce ideas off each other for your epic, let me know.