Make way for the carneries.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
(At least I think that's how you'd spell it, the singular is "carnery.")
Link.
If wine is produced in winery, beer in a brewery and bread in a bakery, where are you going to grow cultured meat?
In a "carnery," if Mironov has his way. That is the name he has given future production facilities.
Dr. Mironov has taken myoblasts -- embryonic cells that develop into muscle tissue -- from turkey and bathed them in a nutrient bath of bovine serum on a scaffold made of chitosan (a common polymer found in nature) to grow animal skeletal muscle tissue. But how do you get that juicy, meaty quality?
Genovese said scientists want to add fat. And adding a vascular system so that interior cells can receive oxygen will enable the growth of steak, say, instead of just thin strips of muscle tissue.
Cultured meat could eventually become cheaper than what Genovese called the heavily subsidized production of farm meat, he said, and if the public accepts cultured meat, the future holds benefits.
If it doesn't taste any worse I doubt I'd have a problem with.
I'm not a big fan of meat...or fruits or vegetables for that matter. Actually, the only foods I can regularly stand are grains, and dairies. Probably why I don't care too much :S
Still, it seems like a fine idea to me. Depending on how quickly such produce could be made, we could curtail cattle farming, if not start reducing it. Which would help with land and forest issues, human encroachment, cow farts, etc.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Still, it seems like a fine idea to me.

It might be, assuming it's all safe. But reading that article brought out the barf reflex in me, and I think that will be a common response.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds of that thing from Hitchhiker's Guide; an animal that wants to be eaten.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It might be, assuming it's all safe. But reading that article brought out the barf reflex in me, and I think that will be a common response.

What exactly about regular meat production doesn't bring out the gag reflex?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be about canaries genetically engineered for larger quantities of meat.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
If it doesn't taste any worse I doubt I'd have a problem with..

There is almost certainly going to be a significant difference in texture and flavor, just as pastured animals taste better than penned, I'd bet that lab grown meat slabs have even less flavor.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I thought this was going to be about canaries genetically engineered for larger quantities of meat.

Like this?

thumbnail.aspx

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
There is almost certainly going to be a significant difference in texture and flavor, just as pastured animals taste better than penned, I'd bet that lab grown meat slabs have even less flavor.

Well at the least the article claims to be capable of creating texture.
Flavor, meh, such a variable thing...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four is a moment where a character exults that Big Brother has managed to create artificial meat that doesn't even taste like meat. It is considered a big advance in society.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry. The yuk factor just kicked in. :Ssh:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the point of these things was to grow meat that tasted and looked like meat without.

A) The ecologically unfriendly mass farming of animals
and
B) The ethically questionable act of killing living creatures for our food

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I never realized the food chain was unethical. Somebody better arrest mother nature. :D

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
When I heard this I immediately thought of a scene in the book, Feed, by M.T. Anderson. In it the main characters visit a filet mignon farm. Where the meat is grown on racks. Visitors are allowed on the farm and they have various activities like a meat maze. It's just like one of the big hedge mazes but it's made of meat.

They have meat farms because it's the only way for them to get meat. Cows are extinct. At least that's the implication I got from the book. Pretty much all the animals are extinct.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the point of these things was to grow meat that tasted and looked like meat without.

A) The ecologically unfriendly mass farming of animals
and

I'll agree with that, which is why we raise our own livestock and do the butchering ourselves

B) The ethically questionable act of killing living creatures for our food

At the risk of a major derail...You can't eat without killing something. Is a carrot less deserving of life than a pig? Leave them in a room together and soon the carrot will have been killed eaten although not necessarily in that order.

Hey, Mother Nature has been trying to kill us for billions of years. I'd be the first one to sign the warrant

I don't believe that people have been around for billions of years, hence I let her off due to insufficient evidence.

Last edited:

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Goddamnit, Soylet green was PEOPLE. NOT synthetic meat.

Now, if this stuff is healthy, tastes fine, and resolves us from the need of killing animals, that's great!

And what if this stuff is shown to cause cancer in the majority of lab rats when they ingest it once per day it over a period of 6 months?

And what if the results of those lab tests get suppressed?

And what if two broadcast journalists at a Fox News TV station in Florida decide to do an expose on the lab test results that got suppressed, but then those two journalists get their story torpedoed by legal maneuverig meant to squash the story and kill their careers?

And what if the lawyers who get called in to suppress the news story try to rewrite the story so that instead of using the word "cancer" the reporters are ordered to merely say "human health consequences"?

And what if an outcry from organic-types like me gets raised whereby we would prefer to not eat that stuff, and so we would therefore like all "synthesized meat" to be clearly labeled as such so that we can steer clear of it?

And what if the lawyers representing the meat synthesizers decide that such labelling would merely "confuse" the public and so they successfully lobby to prevent such labelling from ever being mandatory?

And what if the organic meat farmers and meat packers who do NOT use synthetic meat would like to pretty-please label their products with the claim that their meat isn't synthesized, but then they are told that such labelling would "confuse" the public and that it would also constitute "food disparity" by implying that there is something wrong with synthesized meat, and so they get legally prohibited from labeling their organic meat as not synthesized?

I do not trust the safety of synthesizing meat. I'll bet it will be just as dangerous and allergy-inducing and cancer-inducing as Bonvine Growth Hormone and GMO's. Nor am I willing to trust a green light from either the FDA or the USDA on it because those two agencies are no longer out to protect the public, only to proect huge agro-corporations. And I fear this crap will get slipped into our food supply in the next 10 years, and we'll never know what we're eating anymore.

Zoom, you said "if this stuff is healthy," and I suspect it will not be. And I further suspect that we'll never be told the truth about that.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
And what if...

And what if...

And what if...

And what if...

And what if...

And what if...

And what if...

I do not trust the safety of synthesizing meat. I'll bet it will be just as dangerous and allergy-inducing and cancer-inducing as Bonvine Growth Hormone and GMO's. Nor am I willing to trust a green light from either the FDA or the USDA on it because those two agencies are no longer out to protect the public, only to proect huge agro-corporations. And I fear this crap will get slipped into our food supply in the next 10 years, and we'll never know what we're eating anymore.

Zoom, you said "if this stuff is healthy," and I suspect it will not be. And I further suspect that we'll never be told the truth about that.

What if it's fine?

I happen to believe it will be as healthy as our current meats and that if anything the meat farm lobbyists are going to try their best to keep it OUT of our diets because it could, and if it's successful it would, destroy their businesses.