Worldbuilding Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Package

Cool. I get to write my own? How ab
Registered
Reaction score
While searching the interwebs I came across this really interesting tool found here. At the bottom of the page in what looks like just some credits there were also a few links that led to "calculators" that follow the same rules as the first page.

Here are two different calculators (I personally found the first one better since it is more simplistic).

Calculator One:
Calculator Two:

Note: There are a total of four calculators on the page, along with two spread sheets.

After finding out how to calculate square miles (length x width for those of you who have forgotten how to do math [like me]) it was a shocker to see that the smallest kingdom in my world was around 150,000 sq. mi. which allowed it to have three "Big Cities" all with populations over 10,000. I think some re-scaling is in order xD

I don't know if any of you will use it, but I decided to share since I thought it was pretty cool.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you will use it, but I decided to share since I thought it was pretty cool.
The software is pretty good, but the results are only as good as the presets. And those are a little iffy. (Same number of barbers and jewelers? Really?)

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Also it's medieval-based agricultural and only European. (In a Christian setting) No leeway for other religions, the influx of people, etc. Kind of limiting. Plus it doesn't explain how those numbers were generated (i.e. on what it bases those facts).

Last edited:

The Package

Cool. I get to write my own? How ab
Registered
Reaction score
Plus it doesn't explain how those numbers were generated (i.e. on what it bases those facts).

I believe on the main page (link 1) it has a chart type thing that explains how it decides the number of barbers or whatever. I may be misunderstanding you though.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Also it's medieval-based agricultural and only European. (In a Christian setting) No leeway for other religions, the influx of people, etc. Kind of limiting. Plus it doesn't explain how those numbers were generated (i.e. on what it bases those facts).

The site never claims to be world-wide. It specifically says it's for medieval european-like kingdoms.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
I believe on the main page (link 1) it has a chart type thing that explains how it decides the number of barbers or whatever. I may be misunderstanding you though.
The source is kind of lacking... it should be using more scientific formulas for population growth, and also should be looking at the cultural geography rather than purely historical examples. Wider fields that actually study population growth and distribution directly make for better source material. (There is a division of cultural geography that deals directly with cities and city growth.)

There are no sources for how those numbers were arrived at nor which source has what numbers. (Original essay is deeply flawed). The formulas look made up from thin air...

As programmers say, garbage in, garbage out.

The site never claims to be world-wide. It specifically says it's for medieval european-like kingdoms.
Actually it reads "Medieval" and the example also says "Medieval" Which makes the person who wrote "Medieval Demographics: Numbers for a Fantasy world," Eurocentric. Also probably a Christian... since they didn't account for anything besides Christians. And the person who made the calculator likewise put as a title "Medieval Kingdom Generator". I think the Eurocentric label is fair in this case for both the essayist and programmer.

Antonio del Drago

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mythicscribes.com
Hi Package,

I must confess that during my countless hours of world building, I never actually gave much thought to demographics. Hmm... I wonder what that says about my methodology?

Also, there are also professions listed by that tool which I had never considered, and one that I am baffled by. What exactly is a professional "bather?"

In any case this tool may prove helpful in fleshing out some worlds. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.