Superbowl Party?

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making Chili, Hot Wingz and a Cherry Cobbler.

How about you? :hi:

Go Steelers!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cherry cobbler? I'm be there.

How about some sausage balls too?

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
oooh, I'm making a reuben spread and some dill pickle rollups

:)

GO STEELERS!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The median age for the football crowd in my house is ten. I'm making PB&J sandwiches and I might even be lenient and let them drink soda.

I know. Crazy, right?

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
I'll tell you the best food ever to come out of Pittsburgh (?) a 'Pittsburgh Rare' steak - almost impossible to find a restaurant that can do one right... but it was "invented" in the steel mills.

Workers would bring a raw steak to the mill for lunch and 'flash-fry' it on the red hot steel beams coming out of the furnaces. You'd flop the steak down for two seconds, flip it over for two seconds, and it was done... almost burnt on the outside, but completely sealed and perfect inside.... mmmmmm.

*drools*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I'll be siting in the "Hey, we don't got no coach" section.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you have the Superbowl (like a Grand Final, right?) at the end of January / start of February sort of time?

Surely there wouldn't be enough time to have played an entire season this year, and it'd be a bit late to have been last year's season running late... I'm confuzzled.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm "making" a call to Pizza Hut. mmmm. Cheese bread.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Kelly said, plus pro sports seasons have a way of expanding anyway . . . sometimes I think the NBA should just play year-round and be done with it.

It has to do with $$$.

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno what I'm making, although Kelly's idea of the sammich sounds pretty yummy. I'm not too into either team, unfortunately, but I do look forward to the commercials, and it is a tradition.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'll tell you the best food ever to come out of Pittsburgh (?) a 'Pittsburgh Rare' steak - almost impossible to find a restaurant that can do one right...
It's also known as "black and blue steak," seared on the outside very quickly for a few seconds over intense heat.

Had a woman once return such a steak (a t-bone) when I worked in a high-end restaurant. She claimed it was overdone. It looked fine to me until I realized what she really wanted was a raw steak. So I held another one over the flame for about ten seconds, not too close and just enough to change the color of the outside of the meat from red to pink.

I sent that one out, and the waiter came back later and said, "You've got to see this."

I poked my head around the corner, and the woman had devoured the raw steak and was now busy gnawing on the bone like a hyena that might break through it and suck out the marrow.

She sure seemed happy, so I went back to work.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Eeeh, Silver King. But to each their own I guess.

Me: pizza, crab dip, and waaaaaaayyyyy too much chocolate cake.

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
I have to work, so I'll DVR it. I won't get home 'til about 11pm, but I plan to buy all my snacks and booze beforehand so I can't accidentally learn the outcome by overhearing anyone at the store talking about it or anything.

But if anyone mentions it on the bus, I'll have to throw them off!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with what makes sense, but everything to do with what makes cents... chances are some old Harris poll determined the one weekend a year that the most people were likely to watch television...and that's when they have it.

What Kelly said, plus pro sports seasons have a way of expanding anyway . . . sometimes I think the NBA should just play year-round and be done with it.

It has to do with $$$.

I see...

*starts an ill-fated sports career to try to cash in*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's also known as "black and blue steak," seared on the outside very quickly for a few seconds over intense heat.

Had a woman once return such a steak (a t-bone) when I worked in a high-end restaurant. She claimed it was overdone. It looked fine to me until I realized what she really wanted was a raw steak. So I held another one over the flame for about ten seconds, not too close and just enough to change the color of the outside of the meat from red to pink.
That's what they're usually called around here.

Your story reminds me of the story told by the guy who was the butler (or whatever he was called) at the White House when Truman was President. President Truman and his wife liked Old Fashioned, which are made with bourbon, bitters, a little sugar, a little water, twist of lemon.

When the butler first started making Old Fashioned for President Truman and his wife they would complain that the drinks were "too sweet" and "too weak". The butler tried reducing the amount of sugar and water. They still complained. Finally, he gave up and started serving them straight bourbon over ice. From then on, President Truman and Bess complimented the butler on what a great Old Fashioned he made.

Last edited:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Packers!!!

I'm bringing stuff for hot pastrami sandwiches and home made slaw.

Werri's Slaw Sauce

I never measure. I do it from taste but I'll try

1/4 cup vinegar
1/3 to a half cup sugar depending on how sweet you like it
1 Cup good quality mayo (Best Foods). Add more mayo to the mix if needed so it'll be thick. You don't want this too runny as vinegar and sugar will draw water out of the slaw
1/2 tspn. pepper
couple dashes of salt
1/2 tspn. garlic powder
1 tspn. onion powder

Mix until sugar is no longer grainy. I usually whisk the sauce and then let it sit and repeat this until the sugar is melted. The vinegar taste will cut after you marinate the slaw.

Add to a big bag of Cole Slaw mix. If you aren't going to make a big bag don't use all the sauce. Save half for next time.

If your friends and family don't rave over your slaw, I'll eat it myself.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like both teams, so whoever wins is fine with me. :) (Hubby and I are Giants fans.)

We were thinking pizza at first, but then hubby came up with a great idea - KFC. You know, the dinner or whatever they call it, with the mashed potatoes, etc?

REALLY looking forward to the game! :PartySmil
Nancy

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score

I sent that one out, and the waiter came back later and said, "You've got to see this."

I poked my head around the corner, and the woman had devoured the raw steak and was now busy gnawing on the bone like a hyena that might break through it and suck out the marrow.

She sure seemed happy, so I went back to work.

If it was a high end restaurant I'm surprised you were surprised at having to cook it that way. Also surprised you just held it on the flames. Its not really safe to only have the outside meat turn pink. I love super rare steaks but I need my meat sealed on the outside.

I also have cooked sous vide.

(Never do an omelette sous vide, its gross)

ETA:
What is going on on Sunday? Superwhat? I don't follow such things.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If it was a high end restaurant I'm surprised you were surprised at having to cook it that way. Also surprised you just held it on the flames. Its not really safe to only have the outside meat turn pink. I love super rare steaks but I need my meat sealed on the outside...
Oh, I wasn't surprised by having to cook the steak black and blue. What really took me aback was when the customer claimed it was overdone.

I knew then what she truly wanted was a raw steak, one that didn't appear deep red on the outside, and I was more than happy to oblige. She sure didn't complain a second time.