the cat breaks crap...

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Not sure why, but Benjamin - our tuxedo cat - has started breaking things. Anything glass or ceramic isn't safe on a table. He touches it until it falls onto the tiles... oh yes, he only does this in the area of the house that's tiled so it shatters beautifully.

We haven't had any major changes in the house. No new people. No new pets. His food hasn't changed, neither has his litter. He's just bad. Bad cat breaking stuff.

I'm at a loss. Just badness I guess. Especially since he doesn't hide. He waits until I come to look and find him self-satisfied, practically pointing at the ruined piece, and smiling.

Maybe it's his way of letting me know what he thinks of the decor.

I have glass in my feet.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first cat would have great fun batting things off the tables; pens seemed to be her favorite. For a long time if I couldn't find my pen I knew to look on the floor. We'd sometimes make a game of it. She'd bat the pen off, I'd put it back, she's bat it off, I'd put it back . . .

Your cat may have just learned how much fun it is to watch things shatter to pieces. He's doing you a favor. "Look, now you have more room on the table!"

Or . . . he's just a bad cat. ;-)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Has he by chance been talking to Alley Cat? Because I know AC can be a bad influence. Maybe you can film him and make a new reality show, When good Kitties go Bad. Or, since they have a Barking Mad show for dogs, maybe you could do Breaking Bad for cats.

I have three dogs, so I have no idea what to do about a bad cat. Aren't they sort of untouchable as far as discipline? Don't they do what they want knowing there's nothing you can do about it? Oh, I know. Do you want to borrow one of my dogs?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tuxedo cats are well...to be honest, they're obnoxious. So says the proud owner of two. :)
Your cat knows knocking stuff off gets a reaction form you, hence the fun. Take the breakables down and replace with non breakables. Kitty will still enjoy knocking them off but it won't be upsetting to you.

Your cat will have trained in no time.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
My tuxedo was a little angel - he was, really. But he had an evil sense of humour - going for a walk on the roof of my house four stories up. He was fifteen years old at that time and not too steady on his legs. He only came back when I told him that he had smoked haddock for breakfast.

Did you say you had a kitten? Maybe the older cat wants more attention and cuddles. Tuxedos are like that.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kitten? Did you say there's a kitten in the house?

Tuxedo cat is stressed by the addition, fully aware that your attention to felines is now divided and that he is no longer the sole object of all feline admiration. Breaking things, on purpose, gets Tux the attention he feels he deserves.

Liken it to bringing home a new baby, and big brother or sister starts behaving horribly, or forgets the toilet training s/he'd mastered.

Box the breakables or put them all in a room with is off-limits, until he gets used to Junior. Make a point of giving Tuxedo cat more attention than usual. He'll adapt.

Maryn, who has amusing photos of Calico cat in infant seat, high chair, crib, etc. demanding Baby's attention once again be hers

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The kitten's not really a kitten anymore. I should stop calling her that. She's been here for about six months I think. Her and Ben get along really well, in fact I'm starting to think he's showing off for her or maybe trying to get her in trouble.

Ben's always been an odd cat. He sits on hubs shoulder and comes when he's called. He also sleeps between us and smugly looks at me when he does... we have a special name for him that I'll keep to myself.

It may be all the moving around of stuff and cleaning but he's always tipped stuff over. Maybe he's just moving on to new hobbies.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never put this activity together with tuxedo cats, but now that you mention it, of all the cat's I've owned my tuxedo cat Bill was the worst about clearing smooth surfaces.

I think Benjamin is bored and wants attention. Get a child's fishing rod with a rubber "sinker" and cast that around for him to chase.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
If it is boredom, laser pen lights work wonders, too. That and catching him in the act, scooping him up and tossing him against the wall just enough to stun him but cause no real damage. :)

Lyx

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Look at these two bad cats - taken a couple of months ago -

60389_147424111960251_100000779892679_192399_869221_n.jpg

Moe has been the first cat that liked Ben. Every other cat who comes to the door hisses and spits on Ben who in turn wants to love them.

I'm just going to kitty proof the tiled area. He's having a moment and since we're having company this week I suspect it won't get better until afterward.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God, what gorgeous eyes they have. And they can see, too!

Maryn, jealous

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Think of it as having a toddler. Just remove anything breakable. My Dad's tuxedo is always pushing stuff off the coffee table. I don't think she does it on purpose, she's a big cat (not fat, just big) and she'll stretch, and there goes whatever was on the table. The only thing she hasn't messed with is the large piece of white coral I have in a bowl on the upstairs coffee table. It has sharp spikes. She is also know to get up on the shelves and push things off. Again, not on purpose, they were just in her way. So those things are now pushed back against the wall. :)

The things we do for our critters.

MM

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Your babies are so cute! Their eyes are beautiful!

I think it sounds like your kitty, Benjamin, is either jealous or bored

I still can't get over how pretty their eyes are! I've never seen cats with those color eyes...gorgeous!

Leslie Williams

Leslie Williams
Registered
Reaction score
My bad cat wants to be fed at 5:30am. When I'm not prompt he barfs where I can hear. Then I make him wait his meal till I clean up. Some mornings I get up, feed him, then get back into bed.
...where my other cat has stolen my warm spot.

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
Your subject line says "the cat breaks crap" not "the cat breaks priceless heirlooms" or anything like that. Maybe he's telling you it's time to start your spring cleaning.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
My tuxedo cat used to sit on my dad's dresser and knock things off. He'd just sit there and, one by one, bat everything onto the floor. So, my dad put some cat toys up there, thinking George would find those intriguing.

Nope. He knocked everything *except* the cat toys off the dresser.

Cats are...weird.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have a cat that would attack the printer. He could be on the other side of the house napping, but as soon as he heard it firing up he'd come running through the office in full hunting mode. It was hysterical to watch but a little frustrating when I needed unshredded versions of my documents.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
One of my cats will always knock over a glass of water. Nothing else. Just water. Put it on the floor, wait thirty seconds and he'll knock it over. Then look at the puddle soaking into the carpet.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
When we had a leaking ceiling, we had a bucket catching the water. You guessed it - the cat would always knock it over.

We eventually put a crate around the bucket, and the cat still managed to knock it over.

I'm going to use that in a story one day, with a slight alteration in the vein of artistic license. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Tuxedo cats are well...to be honest, they're obnoxious. So says the proud owner of two. :)....

Proud owner of one agrees wholeheartedly. Domino, our li'l darling, likes to stalk her father - Ol' Boy, that is. Likes to trip him at any and every opportunity. He is her favorite prey animal.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
My cat is a grey tabby... and I'm quite sure that's a level DOWN from basement cat.

She knocks everything off my desk that will roll. Pens, highlighters, correct-o-tape (it doesn't roll, but it slides easily on the cardtablethatisdesk)

Everything. I've given up stopping her, or picking the stuff up. I just get what I need off the damn floor.

Drives me insane.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My cat, Brat, lives up to her name. She is a Maine Coonskin Cat and her markings on both side is a circle with a slash through it. That's right, the NO emblem.

Brat likes to play tag. You chase her and when she hides under something, you then turn and run and she'll chase you and swat your butt.

My daughter used to be freaked out by this because if she ran for the phone, the cat thought she was playing tag and would chase her and swat her butt.

Brat also has a habit of laying on the keyboard while I am trying to type, if I have not paid her enough attention, fed her, or changed her litter pan.

At night Brat has her own game where she likes to sneak into the room, get up on the dresser and then dive onto the bed and attack me. Sometimes I will start giggling because I know she is in the room but she is waiting for me to close my eyes before she attacks. I play with her for about five minutes, hand moving under the covers, and she is satisfied.

Once, my girl friend was not feeling well and went to lay down. Brat thought she wanted to play. The screaming was priceless...