When is a dialogue tag a dialogue tag?

janwyl

New kid, pile on in...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m struggling with dialogue punctuation again. I think I need a grammar book. All the examples of dialogue tags on the web are nice obvious ones: he said, she shouted, and so on.

Here are three examples of where I’m uncertain:

Most of the rest outwardly ridiculed it, saying things like, “It’s only a theory; it’s not proven.”

Many of you reading this are probably thinking, But of course it’s true!

I think I was courteous and helpful, but the gist of my reply (and what I was thinking) was, “What on earth are you doing here then?”

The first I’m reasonably confident about. The second I think is right, but it just looks wrong - dunno why. I’m very wobbly on the last one.

But based on this statement that I did find on the web – “Dialogue tags are the phrases around dialogue that clarify who is speaking and possibly how and to whom that person is speaking as well” – then even “the gist of my reply was” has to be a dialogue tag...

But if any of them aren't dialogue tags, does the punctuation change?

Thanks for any help!
Jon

Last edited:

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
I wouldn't call any of those dialogue tags, per se. I would just say they are sentences that include snippets of dialogue. I think you've punctuated them all correctly.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
They look fine to me.
It seems you are worried about the technical definition of a dialogue tag. Why? Just ask yourself when writing dialogue whether the reader will know who is talking. If so, you're writing your dialogue correctly. But don't abuse it. For example, an exchange between two characters requires little in the way of dialogue tags. Establish who's speaking in the beginning; after that, tags are unnecessary unless the conversation resumes after being broken up for some reason.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those aren't dialogue tags. (A genuine tag includes said or a synonym for said.) What these do is quote dialogue. As such, I think they're punctuated just fine.

There, wasn't that easy?

Maryn, glad to meet you

janwyl

New kid, pile on in...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ok - I think I'm no longer worried about whether or not it's a dialogue tag. It sounds like anything that is dialogue (i.e., read as if spoken) is punctuated the same way. So to test that I now have another example (which I should probably have included in the first batch - sorry):

A fence is also a physical boundary that can be policed, and it eliminates any “Oooh! No idea I was trespassing! Terribly sorry...”

So is this punctuated correctly then? It feels further removed from dialogue than the previous examples. And that makes me feel there shouldn't be a comma after the any (which is why I left it out). But maybe that's wrong?

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose you could do it that way, but my teacher always told me comma before quotation marks, except at the beginning of sentence (of course...).

janwyl

New kid, pile on in...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK thanks. I guess always having a comma is a safe bet. The more I look at it, the less I mind a comma there anyway.

That's the secret isn't it. Stare at anything long enough and it starts looking OK...

Nightmirror

Not so happily ever after...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebornreality.com
Lol, I hate when I get into a predicament where I have to choose the correct punctuation even though it doesn't look as good as the incorrect punctuation.